Marriage And Visa To Holland

I don't know if anyone has specific knowledge of dealing with Dutch nationals.

I have been asked the question by a Thai lady who has a Dutch boyfriend who has a Non-Imm O visa. He will come to Thailand to marry and then they want to:-

1) Change the name of her son to the married name and obtain Thai and Dutch passports.

2) Make a visa for the 3 of them to visit his family in Holland.

He will eventually live in Thailand under a visa extension.

Does he just need an Affirmation to Marry to achieve stage one ?

What is the process to change the boys name and get the passports ?

Are there any special considerations for the visa application to visit Holland ?

One further question - will the son be entitled to have a Thai passport and a Dutch passport ?

Children are allowed to have dual nationality with two passports from birth until they reach 18 years.

After this they have to make a decision of which nationality they keep.

Thailand does not recognize dual nationality and Thai people have to hand in their passport officially in case they keep the foreign nationality.

Those are the rules in very basic terms but maybe other people can give more precise information.

One further question - will the son be entitled to have a Thai passport and a Dutch passport ?

Children are allowed to have dual nationality with two passports from birth until they reach 18 years.

After this they have to make a decision of which nationality they keep.

Thailand does not recognize dual nationality and Thai people have to hand in their passport officially in case they keep the foreign nationality.

Those are the rules in very basic terms but maybe other people can give more precise information.

No.

In the words of samran, a knowledgable poster here with dual Thai-Australian nationality:

The child born to a foreign father has the choice of renouncing their citizenship between the ages of 20 and 21. Note though, it is an option only. If they do not make a choice, there is no penalty and they can continue on with their dual nationaity, as I have.

In 2001 Dutch law was changed to widen the scope of recognition for dual nationality.

There will be no problems.

Edited by bangkockney

Your friend will still require an affirmation to marry, it has to be certified by the Embassy, then translated by an agency and certified, then it needs to be presented to the MFA to be certified again, ready for him to hand to the Amphur when he gets married.

Your friend should check on the website of the Embassy for further details.

Edited by beano2274

As Bangkokney says, Thai nationals are allowed dual nationality; my wife and step-daughter are both dual Thai/British nationals and both are over 18, although the daughter was under 18 when she became British, and neither have ever had a problem. It is legal.

You don't say whether the Dutch boyfriend is the father or not; indeed you say 'her son' not 'their son.' If the Dutchman is not the father, whilst I know nothing of Dutch nationality law, I doubt very much that his mother marrying a Dutch citizen will make the boy Dutch.

Procedure for obtaining an AFM, Dutch visas and, if appropriate, a Dutch passport for the boy can be found on the Dutch embassy website.

As Bangkokney says, Thai nationals are allowed dual nationality; my wife and step-daughter are both dual Thai/British nationals and both are over 18, although the daughter was under 18 when she became British, and neither have ever had a problem. It is legal.

You don't say whether the Dutch boyfriend is the father or not; indeed you say 'her son' not 'their son.' If the Dutchman is not the father, whilst I know nothing of Dutch nationality law, I doubt very much that his mother marrying a Dutch citizen will make the boy Dutch.

Procedure for obtaining an AFM, Dutch visas and, if appropriate, a Dutch passport for the boy can be found on the Dutch embassy website.

x

Edited by Patronus

In all honesty I don't know if he is the father. I do know that it is their intention to change the son's surname after marriage.

So far i know it is not legal as Thailand don't recognize dual nationality but it is not really enforced.

Don't ask don't tell it's called i believe.

I had family members getting into problems when they tried to renew their Thai passport and told the officer that they also had a foreign passport.

Same as they had problems on the airport (leaving Thailand and heading for Holland ) after they being asked about the missing visa in their Thai passport. ( as they used both passports )

It is perfectly legal for Thais to hold dual nationality.

Some Thai immigration officials do seem unaware of the change in Thai nationality law which happened, if memory serves, some 15+ years ago. If they give you trouble, insist on speaking to someone higher up.

Neither my wife nor step-daughter have ever had any trouble entering or leaving Thailand, nor when renewing their Thai passports; both in Bangkok and at the RTE in London.