• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

harvest pale, pedagree, fullers honey dew.........................mouth watering.....must drink now......

must admit im getting addicted to lipton icetea ( from the packets you mix yourself ) untill 4pm then its leo time.....god i miss a real beer..

• 2 weeks later...

Only one, Coopers Sparkling Ale brewed in Adelaide, Australia. Naturally fermented in the bottle, So beautiful , but quite strong . Sumptuous .

Readily available in Bkk, in fact not only is the red label you refer to available so are the green label (pale ale) and the yellow label (stout) also available.

Depending on where you buy I have seen it priced from 109 baht per bottle to as low as 59 baht, after confirming the price was 59 baht I asked the girl to give me 4 cases.

She looked at me as if I was stupid.

This was for the regular 375ml size bottles.

Thats cheaper then you can get it in Aus.

There is nothing better then a crown lager straight out of the ice.

Edited by gonzo123

Belhaven

I assume you mean the 90 shilling...smells like fresh bread and gets you pissed nice and cheap.

A lovely way to spend a winter's day!

soooo long ago that I had a Belhaven pint, can't remember any details,

except I do remember the pub, very very nice place with a couple of open fire places,

it was in Belhaven, a wee bit outside the city of Edinburgh

Sutton Bridge, well, the old Sutton Bridge, Dad always stopped at the pub on the north side of the river, old redbrick place, little beer garden at the front, i was too young then to have a beer, but in the 70s met many fellas from that area, Terrington St Clement,Walpole,ect, met them when i worked for John Laing construction at Wissington,Bury St Edmunds and Felstead sugar factories putting up sugar silos, Tutsi, you might remember an ale from the Greene King Brewery in Bury, 5% Draught Abbott, won many awards, its a really hoppy beer and many of the labourers wanted to stay in Bury overnight just to imbibe this lovely ale, I was known as Abbott Alex, but a fella from Sutton bridge could always beat me, Big D was his nickname, wasnt you was it??

Sutton Bridge, well, the old Sutton Bridge, Dad always stopped at the pub on the north side of the river, old redbrick place, little beer garden at the front, i was too young then to have a beer, but in the 70s met many fellas from that area, Terrington St Clement,Walpole,ect, met them when i worked for John Laing construction at Wissington,Bury St Edmunds and Felstead sugar factories putting up sugar silos, Tutsi, you might remember an ale from the Greene King Brewery in Bury, 5% Draught Abbott, won many awards, its a really hoppy beer and many of the labourers wanted to stay in Bury overnight just to imbibe this lovely ale, I was known as Abbott Alex, but a fella from Sutton bridge could always beat me, Big D was his nickname, wasnt you was it??

when I was at the Sutton Bridge project I lived in Wisbech so I never got to drinkin' after work until I got home at the local called The Three Ringers by the ancient church just north of town, Leverington?...I lived at the caravan park just behind the last petrol station going up to Sutton Bridge...had no TV, I drank wine and listened to the radio...peaceful...

I don't remember any good ales on offer and I stuck with lager...but a wonderful country that was and I remember it as 'a season in the Fenlands...'...when I left, the pub landlord let me drink for free from 6 to 10pm...never seen nothin' like it, and I made up by buying rounds for everyone...I sent them a post card from my next job in Abu Dhabi and if the same couple run the pub you'll see it tacked up on the wall...

that was 1998, what a place...yahs, yahs...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Tutsi, do you mean The Six Ringers at leverington? ive never been there but i bet my dad has, he knew every pub between Bury St Edmunds and Lincoln, have a look at this site, Bring back memories for you?

http://www.francisfrith.com/leverington/photos/the-six-ringers-c1965_L451010/#utmcsr=google.com&utmcmd=referral&utmccn=google.com

Lagers? must have been Stella,Harp,Calrsberg, not really my cup of beer, or even bottled lagers from all over the world, again, i prefer the local ales, [when in UK]

Cheers, Lickey..

Tutsi, do you mean The Six Ringers at leverington? ive never been there but i bet my dad has, he knew every pub between Bury St Edmunds and Lincoln, have a look at this site, Bring back memories for you?

http://www.francisfr...mccn=google.com

Lagers? must have been Stella,Harp,Calrsberg, not really my cup of beer, or even bottled lagers from all over the world, again, i prefer the local ales, [when in UK]

Cheers, Lickey..

yep, that's the place, The Six Ringers in Leverington; useta after work get the paper from the shop around the corner near the church then have a read with a couple of pints and the caravan park was less than a mile away...friendly folks...

the ales on offer weren't to my taste so I drank Stella...I don't remember any local ales...normally in England I'm a real ale fan; Burton-on-Trent ales when I lived in Derby (Ind Coope, Pedigree and Bass) and Harvey's when in Brighton...

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting this thread for some pretty fine news. This week saw the launch of Beervana, an American importer of American "craft" beers. I was fortunate enough to taste a number of US ales on my recent trip to England and realised that they have come a LONG way. They are quite different to most of the ales in England, a lot stronger to start with. This week Beervana shipped their first orders across Bangkok to an awaiting public. They have around 10 different ales from 2 brewers, including a 3 year world beer Silver medalist "Rogue Ales".

They are not cheap at B250 for a 335ml bottle but if you are like me, a non-drinker except for fine tipples, then this is a price WELL worth paying. Yesterday they showed their ales at Bo.Lan's artisan market and cracked open a fair few bottles for us to taste (quite confusing for me at 10am!). They were all very nice, but I settled on 3 bottles each of:

Rogue Ale's - Dead Guy Ale

Anderson Valley Brewery Company's - Hop Ottin'

The 2nd one is more like a British ale, it is an IPA, but at 7% it has some balls!

Anyway, if you are interested just search for Seekbeervana on Facebook. Nice people too.

Interesting topic for something I've been trying to work around in my mind for the last few days? What is a "real ale"? A beer that's been bottle or can conditioned? Not always easy to know unless you ask the brewery directly. One beer I know for sure that measures this spec is Schneider Weisse Aventinus from Germany. It says right on the label "bottle fermented" and I also know it's unfiltered. This wheat-doppelbock has a great taste and at 8.2% ABV, one 500ml. bottle of this has me light headed very quickly.

Doing a switch to the above title, I wish here in Canada they would import the large bottles of Singha at 6% ABV, but we only seem to get the smaller bottles in six packs with a lower ABV at 5%. It doesn't taste as good as their offering in Thailand either.

I agree with your listing of Batemans. I tried some of their 6x draught. I thought I had arrived in paradise.

I would also like to have Jennings snek lifter, Thwaites Black Magic stout and Mitchells bitter.

I think Thailand should pass a law making it compulsory for all bars to sell only English beer along with severe penalties for non-compliance.biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

A couple of years ago I was lucky to be able to acquire a few bottles of Hitachino Nest White Ale imported from Japan. Terrific slightly citric taste and very refreshing. The first thought that crossed my mind is that this beer would probably do very well in a tropical country like Thailand. Fairly good ABV at 5.5%. Very good scores at both beeradvocate and ratebeer.

• 2 weeks later...
Beers I would love to be able to get in Thailand are Jaipur IPA from Thornbridge, Goose Island IPA and anything by Brewdog (these guys make some great beer, Google them)

Sent from my GT-S5570B using Thaivisa Connect App

Oh God "Yes!! Brewdog make exceptional ales and bottle well.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect App