Saudi woman beheaded in Riyadh for killing husband

News_Editor

Saudi woman beheaded in Riyadh for killing husband

2011-10-19 21:56:32 GMT+7 (ICT)

RIYADH (BNO NEWS) -- A Saudi woman was beheaded on Wednesday afternoon for killing her husband by setting him on fire, the country's Interior Ministry said. More than 60 people have been executed in Saudi Arabia so far this year.

A statement from the Saudi Interior Ministry said the woman was previously convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of her husband, although it did not say when the murder took place. The Ministry said the woman had poured petrol inside their house and over her sleeping husband before setting it on fire, killing him.

"Given the severity of her crime [..] she was sentenced to death, which was upheld by the Court of Cassation and the Supreme Court," the Interior Ministry said, adding that an order had been given to carry out the execution on Wednesday in the capital of Riyadh.

At least 60 people have been executed in Saudi Arabia this year alone, including 20 migrant workers. This number is significantly higher than the 27 executions reported last year, according to Amnesty International, although it said the actual number was believed to be much higher.

Earlier this month, a group of eight Bangladeshis were beheaded in public in the Saudi capital of Riyadh after they were convicted of killing an Egyptian security guard while robbing a warehouse in April 2007. In response to those executions, the United Nations said it was 'deeply distressed' and called on Saudi Arabia to establish a moratorium on the use of the death penalty.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-10-19

I wonder if the United States - as a leading light of the UN - also called for this moratorium on the use of the death penalty in Saudi Arabia.

Having ones head hacked off in a public arena is slightly different to your innuendo. Death is the same yes, but to degrade ones departing is something else. ;)

I wonder if the United States - as a leading light of the UN - also called for this moratorium on the use of the death penalty in Saudi Arabia.

Having ones head hacked off in a public arena is slightly different to your innuendo. Death is the same yes, but to degrade ones departing is something else. ;)

Okay, I take your point, but then surely they would have asked for a moratorium specifically on public beheadings and that is not the case.

And I'm not out to bash just the US, but any member nation of the UN who executes people and calls on other countries not to.

That would be fairly hypocritical.

But I don't know if the US agreed with that call or not, so that's why I asked my initial question.