Getting My Baby Son To England

:rolleyes:

I think the key question here is what visa or permission to enter the U.K. your Thai wife or girlfriend has.

I assume that not even the U.K. immigration expects an infant less than 6 months old to toddle off and start working in the U.K. illegally...but then you never know...the law can be a a--hole at times.

I am familar with a friend of mine however who brought his Yemani wife and 6 month old son (legal marriage certificate and child's birth certificate legally declaring him to be the father) into the U.S.

That was 20 years ago, but then the U.S. immigration had no complaint about the child...as long as the mother had a legal entry visa and could prove (birth certificate) the child was the son of her and her American husband.

The general rule then was while an infant could get a passport it was not required then as the mother was obviously dependent on his/her mother at that age.

So back then it was the mother's visa that figuretively carried my friend's infant son into the U.S. legally.

:whistling:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I think the key question here is what visa or permission to enter the U.K. your Thai wife or girlfriend has.

I assume that not even the U.K. immigration expects an infant less than 6 months old to toddle off and start working in the U.K. illegally...but then you never know...the law can be a a--hole at times.

I am familar with a friend of mine however who brought his Yemani wife and 6 month old son (legal marriage certificate and child's birth certificate legally declaring him to be the father) into the U.S.

That was 20 years ago, but then the U.S. immigration had no complaint about the child...as long as the mother had a legal entry visa and could prove (birth certificate) the child was the son of her and her American husband.

The general rule then was while an infant could get a passport it was not required then as the mother was obviously dependent on his/her mother at that age.

So back then it was the mother's visa that figuretively carried my friend's infant son into the U.S. legally.

It's different in the UK

Child welcome

Mother not welcome

My friend got his GF to UK last weeks for a holiday and he's only known her 4 months, it took less than a week. But hes not 60 and shes not 25, he's in his 30s and shes in her 20s going to uni and he lives / works in Thailand.

Never heard of a Visit Visa to the UK granted in "less than a week" :whistling:

The rest of your post doesn't really mean anything.

RAZZ

My friend got his GF to UK last weeks for a holiday and he's only known her 4 months, it took less than a week. But hes not 60 and shes not 25, he's in his 30s and shes in her 20s going to uni and he lives / works in Thailand.

Cracks me up how people have wifes and babys when they don't even live in thailand or same country for that matter ermm.gif imaginon all the old pervs and mail order brides the embassy has to deal with, no wonder they are busy.

I was on holiday for 1-3 months and I've fallen in love with a Asian girl half my age or 3x my looks with no degree or career, were married and I wanna take her back with me. Thats the 6 weeks waiting list right there laugh.gif

Yeas I'm 30 shes 20, and I do live in thailand for half the year and work in England the other half, It just so happend that my wife got pregnant and the British Embasy would not let her here because, if she got pregnant 2 months later, she would be in England, We have everything the Embasy need to get her a family visa. Its not her thats the hard bit!!

So no thats not the 6 weeks waiting. Thats 2 weeks maybe not even that.

Its 6 weeks to get my son a British passport.

I think the answer is simple.

Wait for two months and do the application in person because by the time you get the passport for your son/visa for your wife you could be back in Thailand! :whistling:

RAZZ

I guess you never been away from ur first baby for long.....thanks but thats a shit answer!!!

Well - ask a silly question you get a silly answer!

As has been pointed out to you by some very knowledgeable posters there are rules and regulations and to adhere to them TAKE'S TIME...but by all means see if you can beat the system! :whistling:

You'll still be bleating on here in another 6 weeks...we've yet to hear about how to get you wife to the UK!

RAZZ

Im not trying to beat the system, Im just saying there is more than 1 way to do this and just asking for help to the fastest way

We could....

Get a English passport, but that sounds like 6 weeks or more

Get a Thai passport, 1 week for passport 2 weeks for visa

or when I called the British embasy a week ago the told me he could get a emergency travel document, and thats just 1 day, but I've yet to be able to talk to anyone since then about it at the embasy, because of the floods and there stalf is not able to get to work.

off corse getting both passports is the best way, but That can be done later, I just want them to be with me, and meet my family before I go back to thailand for 6 months.

She's young and alone trying to take care of a little baby, and far away and missing them and want to help her, Like I said im not trying to beat any system, i'm just playing it!!

She can get a visa easy now, there is no prob there, She is my wife and she has my son, the time to get this is 2 weeks max, Unlike the USA where a friend of mine has to wait 6 months for them to lookat the paperwork and give the visa.

Yes my son is Brithish and will have a passport, I'm just moaning about the 6 weeks it takes to get it. + all the other weeks that it takes to send the parerwork to and from UK to Thailand to me and her, and the Emabays then sending it Thailand to Hong kong to Uk to Thailand, shit it goes forever!!!

But there is never 1 way of doing anything so just tring to find the fastest, I could just sit back and let It take its time but my babys already 1.5 kg bigger and I want to see him...

Hi all,

I am speaking from an ozzy point of view...so not sure this helps, but would be similar UK.

I missed my sons birth last November...he came real early....so when I got here he was 6 weeks. We decided not to try come oz until he was older.....I am here now and intend to take them both back.

First thing I did back then was get them Thai Passport each...I could only stay for 1 month.......we are in the north east...so had to go Khon Kaen....quite an easy process. We basically just turned up with all the documents...their birth certificates, ID card for mother, family book, my passport, my birth certificate...anything I could think of !!......some things i needed...some not.....had to be prepared, because as most of us know...hard to get a straight answer over the phone...'not sure, yes we open, today holiday, oh sorry..can not, etc etc"

Back then I also got things under way for citizenship by descent application...got all documents submitted before i had to come back oz.....after that, any further questions and docs they wanted, was all through email.......i was lucky to deal with a very helpful Thai lady at Australian Embassy.....he is now an ozzy by descent....

Next week will apply for oz passport and visa or visa's....have everything ready to go.....

FYI...we are not married as yet....going down the TVisa track first....

Main thing to remember....when dealing with anything in Thai...it will take as long as it takes...if you think it will take 2 weeks to do something, x by 2, then add anther 2 weeks.....now with the floods.....double that again...

cheers

I'm actually a couple of steps behind you but I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see how you resolve your problem.

My newborn was just born in Thailand, my last name is on the birth cert but I am not married to the mother. How do we get our child a Thai and/or a UK passport?

There is no rush as we might not go to the UK until next summer but I would like to do what I can as soon as I can.

TIA for help.

She can get a visa easy now, there is no prob there, She is my wife and she has my son, the time to get this is 2 weeks max

Mmmm...have a look at waiting times for settlement or visit visas :whistling:

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Kev

I've been through what you've been through, and am going through the separation bit trying to get my end to qualify for my wife's settlement visa.

Regarding the passport application - the only possible short-cutting you might be able to use (and I'm not sure it'll work) is to have your son's original birth certificate and photos sent to you in the UK and apply here in the UK. The UK passport office are turning round replacement passport issuances in less than a week, so maybe new passport issuances are similarly quicker than new issuances via the consulate.

However, that said, the recognised route is probably the application via the consulate. As far as I know you don't have to appear as long as your wife has all the correct documents (which will include the full original copy of your British birth certificate), but it is better if you can turn up there to submit the application alongside your wife. I've done that twice now - the consulate staff are very efficient, friendly, and helpful - and I certainly got the impression they prefer the application to be submitted in person by the British parent. I'm not sure if they have a rule about it or not.

My daughter's passport took four weeks to arrive, but that was at the start of this year before the current weather issues throughout SE Asia.

You seem to be getting yourself all aggravated because of the foreseen, yet unproven, time period needed to issue the passport. A little hint there mate - show some empathy and understanding of what the people on the ground in Bangkok, Hong Kong, and the Philippines are going through. The consulate/embassy staff will never pull you up on that, but they will certainly appreciate you doing it and will be all the more helpful because of it.

Remember too - Christmas is still eight weeks away, if you act now, there is time for everything to get resolved ... or, and I have to ask this, have you deliberately waited for a state of emergency conditions to be prevalent on the ground in Bangkok, hoping to be able to get short cuts taken on your child's and wife's applications? Is there something about the applications that in your mind might be grounds for refusal?

Regarding your statement about your wife applying for a family visa - wrong - she will have to apply for a visit visa, or a settlement/spousal visa. To qualify for the settlement/spousal visa you'll need to have cohabited as man and wife, continuously, for four full years minimum in Thailand. Your six months here / six months there lifestyle would seem (initially) to preclude that, therefore she'll need a visit visa.

Looking at your case logically, what I'd recommend is waiting out this stint of you in the UK (kids under 2 years old are clueless about Christmas anyway), then during your next spring/summer trip to Thailand get the passports issue sorted and bring your wife to UK on a six-month visit visa - you'll be able to demonstrate to the consulate your half year migrations and position that you want your family to do the same ... i.e. as a family you want to live six months each year in Thailand and six in UK. After a couple of years doing that, getting a settlement visa for your wife should be a walk-through.

Before you have another rant about waiting out this Christmas alone, think about my position - I returned to UK after 12 years in Thailand, have been back 9 months and am still jobless and living in a room in a shared house - I cannot get my wife's visa because the accommodation is not suitable for a family, and cannot get family accommodation via private rent due to being jobless, nor via council/housing association because all their properties are being given to East Europeans who turn up in UK with their families by leveraging the EU open borders policy - get UK out of Europe is the only way to fix that.

The council have stated that if my kids are not here, they cannot give me family accommodation. The consulate/UKBA state that without family accommodation my wife will not be given a visa and therefore she and the kids cannot get here = Catch 22. I assume you already have family sized accommodation to satisfy that part of the requirements for your wife's visa, and that you have laid aside sufficient cash reserves to support her in the UK (visa requirement as sponsor) and that she has similar reserves in a Thai bank account (visa requirement) ... it's all about ticking boxes and getting your son's passport could actually be the least of your worries.

As I said to so many frustrated expats when I was in Thailand, slow down, breathe deep, make a list of the requirements, and fulfil each before even thinking about the application form. If you're in UK now, and want to talk through any of the above, send me a personal message and I'll send you my phone number.

Foggy

She can get a visa easy now, there is no prob there, She is my wife and she has my son, the time to get this is 2 weeks max, Unlike the USA where a friend of mine has to wait 6 months for them to lookat the paperwork and give the visa.

Yes my son is Brithish and will have a passport, I'm just moaning about the 6 weeks it takes to get it. + all the other weeks that it takes to send the parerwork to and from UK to Thailand to me and her, and the Emabays then sending it Thailand to Hong kong to Uk to Thailand, shit it goes forever!!!

But there is never 1 way of doing anything so just tring to find the fastest, I could just sit back and let It take its time but my babys already 1.5 kg bigger and I want to see him...

I don't know the full background to your intended applications, and I haven't read all of your posts, but are you saying that your wife was refused a visit visa recently ? If so, then getting her a visa may not be as simple as you think. It will depend on your circumstances in the Uk, and her circumstances here in Thailand ( her "reason to return to Thailand", if she is applying for a visit visa ).

Edited by VisasPlus

Before you have another rant about waiting out this Christmas alone, think about my position - I returned to UK after 12 years in Thailand, have been back 9 months and am still jobless and living in a room in a shared house - I cannot get my wife's visa because the accommodation is not suitable for a family, and cannot get family accommodation via private rent due to being jobless, nor via council/housing association because all their properties are being given to East Europeans who turn up in UK with their families by leveraging the EU open borders policy - get UK out of Europe is the only way to fix that.

The council have stated that if my kids are not here, they cannot give me family accommodation. The consulate/UKBA state that without family accommodation my wife will not be given a visa and therefore she and the kids cannot get here = Catch 22. I assume you already have family sized accommodation to satisfy that part of the requirements for your wife's visa, and that you have laid aside sufficient cash reserves to support her in the UK (visa requirement as sponsor) and that she has similar reserves in a Thai bank account (visa requirement) ... it's all about ticking boxes and getting your son's passport could actually be the least of your worries.

I can give you advice on this one

Come to Thailand, collect your children, return to the UK with them.

On your return immediately go to the social services, ask for emergency accommodation as a single parent.

You will be rehoused in suitable housing within the week.

Tell the truth, you had to return to the UK because you didn't have the money to get a married Visa extension in Thailand.

Tell the truth, you are a single parent because immigration will not allow your wife into the country.

Tell the truth, you wanted your children in the UK because you were worried about what might happen to them in Thailand.

(pedophiles, poor health care, poor education, road safety issues, all valid worries)

They will also inundate you with benefits.

Your local council and social services will also try to bring pressure on immigration. (I say try)

UK councils are well aware of these situations and will help you in any way they can.

(A friends wife who had been refused a Visa twice, had her Visa granted within weeks after doing exactly this)

Good Luck

Edited by ludditeman

I'm actually a couple of steps behind you but I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see how you resolve your problem.

My newborn was just born in Thailand, my last name is on the birth cert but I am not married to the mother. How do we get our child a Thai and/or a UK passport?

There is no rush as we might not go to the UK until next summer but I would like to do what I can as soon as I can.

TIA for help.

You just go along to the British consulate/embassy with

Thai birth certificate + certified translation in English

Your passport, your FULL birth certificate

Her ID card or passport or Birth certificate + certified translation in English (only one of these documents requited)

2 Passport photos of baby.

and fill out the forms.

UK doesn't require you to be married, your name on birth cert is OK

Cost for registration + passport 14,300bht, passport only about 7,500bht

Thai passport, gf just applies at the office that issues passports, you are not involved as Thailand do not recognise you as the father.

Great, thanks for the help.

Does my child have to be a certain age or can we apply like at one month old?

I applied when the kid was one week old,

You ever tried taking a passport photo of a baby, eyes open, looking straight forward, no part of anyone else in frame?

TIA for help.

You just go along to the British consulate/embassy with

Thai birth certificate + certified translation in English

Your passport, your FULL birth certificate

Her ID card or passport or Birth certificate + certified translation in English (only one of these documents requited)

2 Passport photos of baby.

and fill out the forms.

UK doesn't require you to be married, your name on birth cert is OK

Cost for registration + passport 14,300bht, passport only about 7,500bht

Thai passport, gf just applies at the office that issues passports, you are not involved as Thailand do not recognise you as the father.

For a Thai paspsort there is no minimum age.

If the motehr applies for thepassport by herself, she will need a Khor Rhor 13 form from the amphur, confirimg she has sole custdy. If you are named on the birth certificate as the father and you go along with her to the Thai passport ofice, normally that will be enough.

f

For the OP:

It's definitely easier to get a Thai passport for a child with both parents in attendance, but if one is in another country, they can sign a form at the Thai embassy which can be used by the other parent when doing the Thai passport application. (I think it requires the embassy to notify the passport office as well as your wife taking the form with her.)

The main problem I can foresee though is that the form is in Thai.

If your wife goes to the passport office, they'll tell you the form they need.

As for the UK passport, you might not need it initially. I thought there was a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode in the UK that can be placed in the Thai passport, and wouldn't need the same 6 week delay (but knowing the UK, probably has an extortionate fee.) It is basically for dual nationals that haven't applied for their first UK passport yet, and I 'think' your child would appear to qualify but that's probably a question for the embassy/VFS.

Ok

so lots of advice here. But still no one mentiond about a emergency travel document,

I have been on the phone today to the Brithis Embasy in BBK and they have told me all I need for a emergency travel document for my son that has no passport thai or English.

and It takes a day, ofcorse with all the right paperwork.

Ok

so lots of advice here. But still no one mentiond about a emergency travel document,

I have been on the phone today to the Brithis Embasy in BBK and they have told me all I need for a emergency travel document for my son that has no passport thai or English.

Your wife is still going to have to organise a Thai passport for your son. Using a British passport for him to come back to Thailand is a BIG mistake.

Ok

Your wife is still going to have to organise a Thai passport for your son. Using a British passport for him to come back to Thailand is a BIG mistake.

what in a few months time.......why??

If he enters Thailand with a British passport he will be entering as a British citizen and will need a Visa, which will subsequently expire.

This will then cause immigration problems if he ever leaves Thailand again, maybe a big fine later in life.

Read this, your son does not qualify for an emergency travel document, somehow you and the person on the other end of the phone had misunderstood each other, or you have not told them the correct story.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/passports1/passports-a-to-z/e-topics/emergency-travel

I suggest you get the Power of Attorney form, sign it and email it to your wife, get her to get your son a Thai Passport, apply for visas to the UK for both of them (costly I know), then whilst he is in the UK, get him a Passport can be done in days or even 1 day if memory serves me right (places to get it done in double quick time are on the web).

You can probably find the power of attorney letter on the web too, she might only need a 10 baht stamp, remember a Thai passport takes 2 days, so as soon as she has got it start the online application for the visas to the UK.

added - Emergency Passport (EP): An Emergency Passport (EP) is usually issued when a standard passport has been declared lost or stolen, or is temporary unavailable, and there is insufficient time to process a full validity replacement and an Emergency Travel Document is not available. It is a one-page travel document valid only for a single journey.

Please remember that regardless of the type of document issued we need to make checks before we can issue a passport and this may mean you have to delay your travel plans.

Edited by beano2274

In fact you could start the process of applying for the visas online now, just save it, and when you have the Passport number of your child then add it and send it to the embassy, remember to print it off, best to get your wife to print it out at her end then you submit it.

Ok

cause if he enters Thailand on a British passport he will treated as a foreigner - as such, lots of problems later down the track.

I'd outline all the problems, but I won't. You've had lots of advice here on this thread but it doesn't appear to be sinking in, nor does it appear that you are one for details (sorry to be blunt).

You've had lots of advice here on this thread but it doesn't appear to be sinking in, nor does it appear that you are one for details (sorry to be blunt).

Kevan

As 'samran' said you have had lots of advice on this forum, there are some highly experienced people offering advice here, I can undertsand your frustration, many of us have been in the position of trying to arrange things in Thailand when we are in another country, hell it's bad enough if you here.

There are two types of Emergency Travel Documents and, despite what you have been told when you called The Embassy, your son doesn't seem to qualify for either as they are designed as emergency passports not for for first passports. I have lifted the details from the relevant page of the FCO website and highlighted the relevant wording.

Emergency Travel Document (ETD): The UK Emergency Travel Document (ETD) is an eight page travel identity document in a passport format. An ETD enables British nationals abroad whose passport is lost/stolen or unavailable because it is being renewed to make a single or return journey to the UK or another country of residence, via a maximum of five transit countries.

Emergency Passport (EP): An Emergency Passport (EP) is usually issued when a standard passport has been declared lost or stolen, or is temporary unavailable, and there is insufficient time to process a full validity replacement and an Emergency Travel Document is not available. It is a one-page travel document valid only for a single journey.

Please remember that regardless of the type of document issued we need to make checks before we can issue a passport and this may mean you have to delay your travel plans.

I would be delighted to be proved wrong, as I'm sure would the other posters who have tried to help you, but I suspect I'm not.

Look i'm not saying what you lot are saying if bad in anyway and many people keep saying i'm frustrated and impationt and I just need to wait.

But I have got the email back from the embassy and here it is

This email is a follow up from our conversation yesterday with regards to your wife obtaining an ETD for your son.

As your son has not previously had a travel document your wife will need to provide us with a completed C2 passport application form and Emergency Travel Document available from our website. Your wife will need to present to the Embassy all the documents required for a first time passport and an ETD as stated in the guidance also available on our website.

As you and your wife will not be applying for your son’s ETD together your wife will also need to provide us with:

· A letter from you giving consent for your son to receive an ETD

· A certified copy of your passport

· Your original full length Birth Certificate

· Edward’s birth certificate

· Khun Masa’s ID

It may help if your wife could also present her Visa to the UK and flight details to show that she will be accompanying your son. I would suggest that you contact Visa Services on 02 800 8050 to confirm how long a UK visa currently takes and is valid for. If your wife has to wait for her visa it may be worth considering applying for a full passport for your son rather than the ETD.

Please note that an ETD is only valid for a specific journey and the flight details are included on the document. If for any reason your wife and child are unable to make the flight then a new application and fee payment will need to be made.

I hope this helps clarify what we discussed.

Best wishes

Rhian

So thats what she said.....if anyone thinks this is bullshit I'd be happy to know....I just cant see why doing it like this is bad, and getting his proper passports when i'm not busy and not the other side of the world.

I'm sure anyone here that has only been with there son for 4 days and not seen him for over a month would understand and probably be trying to do the same as me, 'Trying to see my son soon'

I am taking note of all that is said here, but you can see the email from the embasy, thats what they told me and. It seams a lot less paperwork for now.

I've not explaned about me much, why I cant help her so much...

I'm in the middle of a forrest sleeping in a lorry in the cold....in the dark!!! just me a lorry and loads of trees that are waiting to fall over and go some place else!!

As soon as my son and wife are here I'll go home, but till that day I'm here in the forrest

just tring to post anything or get any post from here is pain in the butt, and the pigeon's are not interested in a going to my wifes house for a few bits of bread!!

I have to say I'm surprised with the response from The Embassy, albeit pleasantly, actually getting a response is a result in itself.

As the lady has committed the advice to writing I doubt very much if the answer is bullshit.

I am suprised that they will issue a passport alongside an ETD, but thinking it through, if a pregnant woman who normally lived in the UK gave premature birth whilst on holiday in Thailand she would need travel documents to take her child home, she wouldn't want to wait the six weeks for a passport, though I don't know how old a baby needs to before it's safe to fly.

It seems the Embassy are pretty relaxed about what constitutes an emergency before that they will issue ETD's, so it looks like you have got a result, I would follow the previous advice and get a Thai passport as well though.

I hope you enjoyed your night in the forest, in the cold, rather you than me - oh to be in Thailand in the warm eh? :rolleyes:

I have to say I'm surprised with the response from The Embassy, albeit pleasantly, actually getting a response is a result in itself.

As the lady has committed the advice to writing I doubt very much if the answer is bullshit.

I am suprised that they will issue a passport alongside an ETD, but thinking it through, if a pregnant woman who normally lived in the UK gave premature birth whilst on holiday in Thailand she would need travel documents to take her child home, she wouldn't want to wait the six weeks for a passport, though I don't know how old a baby needs to before it's safe to fly.

It seems the Embassy are pretty relaxed about what constitutes an emergency before that they will issue ETD's, so it looks like you have got a result, I would follow the previous advice and get a Thai passport as well though.

I hope you enjoyed your night in the forest, in the cold, rather you than me - oh to be in Thailand in the warm eh? :rolleyes:

whistling.gif

yes it would be a lot nicer to be in Thailand in the warm!! but for now I'll stay here, it's prob les raining!!

I'm going to get my son a thai passport, was going to send of for it and if it comes before he leaves thats fine but if not some one can post it to us,

A baby can fly at a young age, some airlines just a few days old so I have read, but I have asked english and thai doctors and they say 1 month,.

So I'm more happy now I have the email from the Embasy, maybe some people that read this will now understand why I started this post and was trying to ask about it,

good luck to any one else trying :)