Yingluck urges Bangkokians not to panic as canals fill up

webfact

Yingluck urges Bangkokians not to panic as canals fill up

The Nation

30168192-01.jpg

Residents told to move belongings to higher ground; water won't be blocked

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday pleaded with the public not to panic when Bangkok’s canals fill up as floodwater is diverted out to nearby rivers.

"Please understand that the water comes from opening water gates to drain the water as soon as possible. We have to let the water flow smoothly. We know that water is now trapped in the plains and many areas. With the drainage, trapped water will drop fast. If we block all flows, problems will follow as some dykes can't block or hold the water. The dykes are also made of earth so they can crumble," she said.

Some areas in Bangkok are already experiencing flooding, but still at controllable levels, while the water has not yet reached other areas.

Residents are advised to move their belongings at least one metre higher and park their cars at safe and suitable places, she said.

Some low or eroded areas might have to face a little flooding but the water would be pumped out as soon as possible, she said.

All of Bangkok's sluice gates will be opened, but in rotation, so the water can flow to the east.

That was easier than trying to discharge the floodwater to the west, as the Tha Chin River was higher, she said after meeting with Irrigation Department directorgeneral Chalit Damrongsak, Science Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi and former Bangkok governor Bhichit Rattakul.

In the long run, Thailand will have to set up a water management system, she said.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said the flood situation has not reached the critical stage and the areas under close monitoring remain the same.

"Bangkok has not announced more closemonitoring areas besides the seven districts (that were declared at risk earlier). But the government should take care of the three sensitive areas as they are out of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's hands. They are the Lak Hok subdistrict of Pathum Thani, the area under the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority and Paholyothin Road crossing over Rangsit Canal," he said.

The capital would do its part by draining water in Samsen Canal to reduce the water in Waterworks Canal.

After inspecting preparations at Siriraj Hospital, Sukhumbhand said the sandbag barrier had been raised to 2.8 metres above sea level. It should be safe but the city was ready to build it higher at any time.

The hospital also put up a 200metrelong retaining wall made of cement bags that was 1.2 metres high.

Justice Minister Pracha Promnok, the director of the Flood Relief Operations Centre, said after going on an aerial survey he was 90 per cent sure that Bangkok would be safe but there still was 10percent room for uncertainty.

Citing the example of the 26kilometre dyke now under construction, Pracha said both the BMA and the military were very helpful as the government works to solve the problem.

To restore people's confidence in FROC's announcements, the presentation was changed to the reading out of statements so there was no need to change the spokesmen, he said. The only concern was that people not directly in charge were spreading news.

The directors of Don Mueang and Lak Si district offices in northern Bangkok said there were no signs of floods entering their areas yet but sandbags and pumps had been prepared to drain any inflow out.

Rabiab Koobkrabi, director of the Lak Si District Office, said the flood in Muang Thong Thani 1 was due to the release of water while the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority was fixing problems with the Waterworks canal.

Poomipat Damrongkiatisak, director of the Don Muang District Office, said residents should be wary of rumours but anyone who feels uneasy can move to prepared evacuation centres.

Aroon Puangsombat, director of the Min Buri District Office, said the flood's impact on the district would depend on the level of Saen Saeb Canal in the area and how the water would be channelled out according to the government's plan.

The situation would be monitored and reported on every three to six hours, he said.

Saen Saeb Canal links to Bang Pakong River to the east of Bangkok.

Panu Kerdlarppol, the deputy Metropolitan Police commissioner overseeing traffic control, said police in each area had been ordered to prepare traffic plans for emergency and evacuation routes and meeting points. Police have also coordinated with the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority for alternate transportation.

Some roads were washed out for a short period of time due to the rising river tide but that had not disrupted traffic much, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-21

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the advice being given and in some cases solicited, by the multitude of individuals/groups, it must be about time for a poll or even a phone in vote as to the procedures to follow.

Whether he is as competent as he has been appearing (compared to the other clowns) the governor of Bangkok seems to have a plan that is being followed. If it works he will be applauded, if not he probably has backup plans ready. He seems to be honest in his making the public aware of the situation. Its too bad some of the others involved (by appointment) do not have the same straight forward approach and time commitment he has displayed.

Could be that yesterday''s comments were actually the truth.

Could be that the city cannot be saved.

Could be those irrigation dept. people are right about Bangkok flooding being "inevitable".

Could be the government knew this for at least two or three weeks.

Could be they've been flooding otherwise dry areas that could have been used for evacuation centers in order to pretend they could save Bangkok.

Could be.

Let Bangkok flood, im here in water because they refuse to open the gates. I hope i get an other meter of water here (i wont like it) but that will assure that Bangkok's gates will crack. Letting the water in at high speed and washing it all away.

They seem to be unwilling to share the burden, if they had let it open earlier a lot less problems would arise. Yes some area's would have been flooded then but it wont compare with what is going to happen.

I am seeing the power of the water now, it cant be stopped it needs to flow. By not sacrificing a bit they are only making it worse.

Standard decision making process for the rest of the world:

Concept

Fact finding

Risk Analysis

Debate

Decision

Decision making process for Thailand:

Speak

Fail to notice your employees running around behind you thrusting pieces of paper into each others hands

Employees find the most "senior" member of their team and get them to approach you

You are given the information pertinent to your plans success/failure

WAIT

Pass off the plan as your own and palm off all responsibility for earlier comments on somebody else

Let Bangkok flood, im here in water because they refuse to open the gates. I hope i get an other meter of water here (i wont like it) but that will assure that Bangkok's gates will crack. Letting the water in at high speed and washing it all away.

They seem to be unwilling to share the burden, if they had let it open earlier a lot less problems would arise. Yes some area's would have been flooded then but it wont compare with what is going to happen.

I am seeing the power of the water now, it cant be stopped it needs to flow. By not sacrificing a bit they are only making it worse.

I'm with you! Most of my village evacuated yesterday morning. A few of us remain and the water, as you said, cannot be stopped by any means. Though they should have done this long ago, it's not too late. The longer they wait, the greater the consequences.

Bangkok opens watergates

Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

30168197-01.jpg

Military vows allout efforts to rescue stranded flood victims

Runoff water from the upper part of the country has finally proved "too huge" for the government to keep out of Bangkok.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday told the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to use the capital's canals to direct runoff water out to the sea.

"We have asked the BMA to open all watergates along the capital's waterways. Then, we should be able to push between 8 million to 10 million more of cubic metres of water into the sea per day," she said.

Although, Yingluck tried to assure city residents that Bangkok's canals would not overflow, she fell short of clearly explaining how the government would control the water level and volume.

The PM held a meeting with Royal Irrigation Department directorgeneral Chalit Damrongsak and Bhichit Rattakul, a former Bangkok governor, to discuss the plan yesterday afternoon.

"We are trying to find out how to push as much water as possible into the eastern part of Bangkok. There, we have already dredged seven canals to facilitate the water flow into the sea," the prime minister said.

She then just added that ridges and embankments would also be used to prevent the overflow and to divert the water into Bangkok's eastern part.

"This is the fastest way to push the water out into the sea," Yingluck said.

She told Bangkok residents in Sai Mai, Bang Khen, Klong Sam Wa, Nong Chok, Min Buri, Lat Krabang and Khannayow districts to move their belongings to spots at least one metre above the ground.

She said the water from Bangkok's canals would not overflow onto the roads. "But if it does overflow, we will use pumps," she said.

Asked whether Bangkok could be considered safe from floods, Yingluck said, "It's a surveillance area. It's not a risky area".

The military has pledged allout efforts to evacuate stranded residents in heavily flooded Bang Bua Thong district in Nonthaburi, the government Flood Relief Operations Centre announced.

Anyone calling for help can signal to barges passing their homes with flashlights or lighted candles, or call 1131, said military officials, present for the first time in uniform during a FROC press conference.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra said the BMA could release 1,600 cubic metres of water per second into the sea.

"We will do our best to assist the central government but we will take into account impacts on local people, too," he said.

China Premier Wen Jiabao insisted yesterday to send a total of 170 heavy pumps to help Thailand fight the floods crisis.

He offered the assistance to Deputy Prime Minister Kittiratt na Ranong during his threeday trip to China until this weekend.

Wen said the first lot of 150 pumps with a capacity of 78 tonnes per hour each will arrive by tomorrow afternoon and the remainder, with greater capacity of 200 tonnes, will be delivered later.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-21

Great idea, trash 100% of the economy instead of 60%. You want more people to suffer do you?

I'm with you! Most of my village evacuated yesterday morning. A few of us remain and the water, as you said, cannot be stopped by any means. Though they should have done this long ago, it's not too late. The longer they wait, the greater the consequences.

Best of hope to both of you. :wai:

Great idea, trash 100% of the economy instead of 60%. You want more people to suffer do you?

Scared to get some wet feet ?

Maybe afraid nana will close a few days ?

What i am talking about it hold it back let it build up here. I gladly take a meter of water knowing then the gates in BKK will break uncontrolled. I would suffer but Bangkok would suffer more.

But what i am talking about is letting as much water as possible move through Bangkok and maybe yes flood some parts, but it wont be long or much. Id say its better as the other option.

If you haven't witnessed it with your own eyes.. you don't know. Its a mass of water moving towards your guys. Slowly creeping up, this village has never in its history been flooded. Now we are flooded, it is still manageable. (im less then 20 km from BKK). If Bangkok does not open its gates completely water will build up in the end just opening them then wont suffice and it will be a torrent going in.

I am saying take a few days of problems like we did here and get it over with. If the high tide in the end of the month arrives you got a big problem.

What i am talking about it hold it back let it build up here. I gladly take a meter of water knowing then the gates in BKK will break uncontrolled. I would suffer but Bangkok would suffer more.

But what i am talking about is letting as much water as possible move through Bangkok and maybe yes flood some parts, but it wont be long or much. Id say its better as the other option.

I live next to the river and your comments are not funny. I think they are quite disgusting actually.

I live next to the river and your comments are not funny. I think they are quite disgusting actually.

CD, he is just being an angry little child today, stamping his feet and screaming "its not fair!" my three year old has similar fits sometimes...ignore him

Edited by MunterHunter

Ditto!

post-61130-0-51322600-1319159381_thumb.j

‎6:45 am

Main entrance gate at our residence

That will not resist for another 24 hours..sad.gif

I am flooded, do you think i am having a good time ? If Bangkok had opened his gates earlier much of this could have been averted. They did not its time to pay up. If you are getting wet feet just like me then so be it. I rather have the both of us 20-50 cm of water. Then me now 1,5 meter and you later on too once it breaks.

I also rather have you in water for 2-3 days so me and the rest of the country will get rid of this water a few weeks earlier. Is that so much to ask ?

Ditto!

post-61130-0-51322600-1319159381_thumb.j

‎6:45 am

Main entrance gate at our residence

That will not resist for another 24 hours..sad.gif

As i told you before that wont hold it, here we had the same situation untill the pressure on the drains became to big and then the streets flooded.. the pumps had no chance. I hope it will go better at your place then ours :(

As i told you before that wont hold it, here we had the same situation untill the pressure on the drains became to big and then the streets flooded.. the pumps had no chance. I hope it will go better at your place then ours :(

Correct Rob, drains are the main cause of flooding...

Pumps are still running but in vain, most of the water is coming from underground.

Robb, I can imagine your frustration/anger but wishing bad luck on others is not really cool IMO.

Jack, good point about buying a house, wonder how insurance companies are quickly working overtime to ensure they have covered their own behinds.

Robb, I can imagine your frustration/anger but wishing bad luck on others is not really cool IMO.

Jack, good point about buying a house, wonder how insurance companies are quickly working overtime to ensure they have covered their own behinds.

I am wishing no bad luck on anyone, just telling you guys to take your (controlled) share so it will all be over soon. But if you won't even consider it or sacrifice a bit. In that case i would gladly take 1 meter more here in the hope that the Bangkok dams crack (if its higher here the pressure at your side will build up too).

That is the whole point, take a bit to help others (controlled) and make sure the disaster is done with soon. Or don't and wait till your dams crack. If you see the sheer volume of water that is coming (i am seeing it) you will know its unavoidable.

I am wishing no bad luck on anyone, just telling you guys to take your (controlled) share so it will all be over soon. But if you won't even consider it or sacrifice a bit. In that case i would gladly take 1 meter more here in the hope that the Bangkok dams crack (if its higher here the pressure at your side will build up too).

That is the whole point, take a bit to help others (controlled) and make sure the disaster is done with soon. Or don't and wait till your dams crack. If you see the sheer volume of water that is coming (i am seeing it) you will know its unavoidable.

You understand that the posters on TVF have no power or control over this, right? But your 'i will take 1mtr of water so that Bangkok gets washed away" mentality will affect *millions* of people, from beggers on the street, food vendors through to babies, children and old people...

Karam is a b*tch, and i hope she bites you.

A very wise and respected person told the people in charge to let water out of the dams months ago as he knew what was going to happen. The businesses involved and the Government at the time did not listen to him. Well now we can all see what is gonna happen. The water will enter Bangkok, and destroy many things, the worst thing is the pollution that it will bring with it, and the homes that will also be destroyed. I feel sorry for those who have next to nothing and will soon have nothing at all.

And why are the roadsweepers sweeping leaves and rubbish into the drains on Ngamwongwan road, are they stupid or what?

Oh, the respected and wise man mentioned above is the most revered man in Thailand.

And to those currently affected, I hope you can salvage something.

There are thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of homes in Bang Bua Thong which are now flooded out. The bill for the damages will be immense, and if they don't get rid of the water soon no doubt the human tragedy component of this man-made disaster will increase.

Using all the nouce they possibly can (don't expect to be overwhelmed) this government needs to manage the flow of water out into the sea ASAP. The best people can do is prepare for the worst.

One time whilst working on an oil rig out in the middle of Australia where it can stay dry for years there were heavy rains north of where we were. From the rig floor you could see far off in the distance this wall of water moving slowly but inexorably closer to us. We battened down the hatches & moved to higher ground & with about two days our rig site was totally flooded under about 2m of water. At that time the flooding covered a vast area & it shows when the water builds up like that there is no stopping it.

My heart goes out to all the flood victims seemingly made worse by gross incompetence & lack of clear management. Next year will likely be a normal year & with the short term mindset prevalent here all the bluster about grand water management plans will be forgotten or the vested interest will squabble over it for years in order to get the best pickings.

You understand that the posters on TVF have no power or control over this, right? But your 'i will take 1mtr of water so that Bangkok gets washed away" mentality will affect *millions* of people, from beggers on the street, food vendors through to babies, children and old people...

Karam is a b*tch, and i hope she bites you.

Actually she will bite Bangkok , if she does not take some water now. You could reason that by trying to keep Bangkok dry suffering is caused. So see where the karma is going.

I am not talking about putting BKK under a meter of water to save it here. I am talking taking as much water as possible and not be on the safe side and accept a lil flooding.

And nobody has ever any power here but we all give our views that is the same in this topic.

There are thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of homes in Bang Bua Thong which are now flooded out. The bill for the damages will be immense, and if they don't get rid of the water soon no doubt the human tragedy component of this man-made disaster will increase.

Using all the nouce they possibly can (don't expect to be overwhelmed) this government needs to manage the flow of water out into the sea ASAP. The best people can do is prepare for the worst.

But if Wenck's 12th Army can only breakthrough from the west, we'll all be saved! Oops, wrong war room. Wrong bunker.

I can also understand the emotions here. People in crisis will have a subjective view.

I hope that those affected come through as well as possible.

I would imagine that to one who has just been evacuated it must be difficult to view academically the bigger picture.

Imagine evacuation of a decent chunk of BKK. Armageddon. Apart from the greater economic loss (with it's ongoing social costs) the density of people and vehicles makes it a nightmare.

I pray every body here and their loved ones stay safe.

I am not talking about putting BKK under a meter of water to save it here. I am talking taking as much water as possible and not be on the safe side and accept a lil flooding.

Thats exactly what you were crying out for less than an hour ago... "I will gladly take 1mtr of water and bangkok will get washed away"

So tell me, what happens when the banks get 'washed away' or the hospitals? What about the Government machine? No clean up coming your way, death, disease and more suffering... no access to food, water or medical treatment

Yeah, let bangkok get 'washed away' cos all the TVF posters are the ones stopping the water from entering bangkok... we are complacent and all sat in nana drinking beer and laughing at the plight of the rest of the country...

Thats exactly what you were crying out for less than an hour ago... "I will gladly take 1mtr of water and bangkok will get washed away"

So tell me, what happens when the banks get 'washed away' or the hospitals? What about the Government machine? No clean up coming your way, death, disease and more suffering... no access to food, water or medical treatment

Yeah, let bangkok get 'washed away' cos all the TVF posters are the ones stopping the water from entering bangkok... we are complacent and all sat in nana drinking beer and laughing at the plight of the rest of the country...

Yes, you seem to be unable to understand me, if Bangkok stubbornly refuses to take even some water then in THAT case i would gladly take a meter extra and let BKK flood away. However if BKK is doing its best and taking some risks then i would not wish them a complete flooding.

Do you think there are no banks or hospitals here ? Do you think there is no suffering here ?.