Yingluck urges Bangkokians not to panic as canals fill up

webfact

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand Rob, and many people would hate Bangkok to flood, but it needs to take water to relieve the suffering of others, if the government does it properly and slowly releasing water then it will not be too drastic.

To those who are thinking of Banks and Hospitals, there are plenty of them outside Bangkok that are underwater, including Ayuthaya and Ang Thong.

If you are worried about your banks and the money, then take it out of your accounts now, whilst it is still dry.

Rob, hope you can salvage something from your place.

I understand Rob, and many people would hate Bangkok to flood, but it needs to take water to relieve the suffering of others, if the government does it properly and slowly releasing water then it will not be too drastic.

To those who are thinking of Banks and Hospitals, there are plenty of them outside Bangkok that are underwater, including Ayuthaya and Ang Thong.

If you are worried about your banks and the money, then take it out of your accounts now, whilst it is still dry.

Rob, hope you can salvage something from your place.

That is what i am saying Bangkok should take some water and do it properly, some floods might occur but that is manageable. People are responding here like i i want the whole of BKK to flood. (yes i would want that if they really refuse to take any water then they can take it all). But i would much prefer them to just take water and help the country to remove all this water.

Yes, you seem to be unable to understand me, if Bangkok stubbornly refuses to take even some water then in THAT case i would gladly take a meter extra and let BKK flood away. However if BKK is doing its best and taking some risks then i would not wish them a complete flooding.

Do you think there are no banks or hospitals here ? Do you think there is no suffering here ?.

I'll get straight on the phone to YL then, shall i?

You seem to be unable to understand me... there is nothing we can do about this, i find your 'Stubborn bangkok washed away' mentality offensive, childish and to be frank, pathetic.

Blame those who voted for this government, direct your anger and frustration at them, not us. Direct your hatred to those in power, the ones who should have done something to alleviate the situation a month ago, two months ago. Blame the ones who flip-flop around and cant make a decision, and cry on the tv, the ones who have formed a new political party because they are worried they will be disbanded over the mismanagement of this disaster (talk about save your own hide instead of focus on the problem at hand)

https://<URL Automatically Removed>/2011/10/19/natural-disaster-13-yinglucks-pheu-thai-party-sets-up-emergency-party-in-case-party-disbanded-with-judicialization/

But no, instead you blame Bangkokians as a whole, and wish for them to be washed away. You wish disaster on more innocent people...

Yes, you seem to be unable to understand me, if Bangkok stubbornly refuses to take even some water then in THAT case i would gladly take a meter extra and let BKK flood away. However if BKK is doing its best and taking some risks then i would not wish them a complete flooding.

Do you think there are no banks or hospitals here ? Do you think there is no suffering here ?.

You seem to be unable to understand me... there is nothing we can do about this, i find your 'Stubborn bangkok washed away' mentality offensive, childish and to be frank, pathetic.

Blame those who voted for this government, direct your anger and frustration at them, not us. Direct your hatred to those in power, the ones who should have done something to alleviate the situation a month ago, two months ago. Blame the ones who flip-flop around and cant make a decision, and cry on the tv, the ones who have formed a new political party because they are worried they will be disbanded over the mismanagement of this disaster (talk about save your own hide instead of focus on the problem at hand)

https://<URL Automatically Removed>/2011/10/19/natural-disaster-13-yinglucks-pheu-thai-party-sets-up-emergency-party-in-case-party-disbanded-with-judicialization/

But no, instead you blame Bangkokians as a whole, and wish for them to be washed away. You wish disaster on more innocent people...

What you are suggesting is that everyone else in Thailand should suffer, so that Bangkok can stay dry. All ROB wants is that the people of Bangkok start thinking and understanding they are not above the rest of the population and need to open the gates to let some water flow through, he is not suggesting completely flooding Bangkok, but by doing it gradually reduce the suffering of those in other places, that are shown on TV every minute of the day. I am sure if you had family in Ayuthaya or Ang Thong or Bangbuathong, you would want Bangkokians to help them to.

Stop wasting time try to understand that others are suffering, seems that many people here think they are above others and do not want to suffer. My place is outside of Bangkok, not far from the places that are being washed away now, I don't mind suffering a little to help my family in Ayuthaya.

Normally it is the Thais that go around being selfish, seems it has washed off on some people in here.

Robb, I can imagine your frustration/anger but wishing bad luck on others is not really cool IMO.

Jack, good point about buying a house, wonder how insurance companies are quickly working overtime to ensure they have covered their own behinds.

I am wishing no bad luck on anyone, just telling you guys to take your (controlled) share so it will all be over soon. But if you won't even consider it or sacrifice a bit. In that case i would gladly take 1 meter more here in the hope that the Bangkok dams crack (if its higher here the pressure at your side will build up too).

That is the whole point, take a bit to help others (controlled) and make sure the disaster is done with soon. Or don't and wait till your dams crack. If you see the sheer volume of water that is coming (i am seeing it) you will know its unavoidable.

The people that will be affected by this (i.e. me in Eastern BKK) are not the people making the decisions.

You are wishing something on people for decisions that are out of their hands.

What is there for us to consider or sacrifice? We don't even know what is going on and we probably wont know until 10 mins before the water hits.

Just because you have suffered, it does not put you on higher moral ground that people yet to be hit.

In short - stop being a dick.

Your post is an absolute nonsense.

I think you'd better read Robblok's posts again, you'd better come down , and stop being aggressive.

What you are suggesting is that everyone else in Thailand should suffer, so that Bangkok can stay dry. All ROB wants is that the people of Bangkok start thinking and understanding they are not above the rest of the population and need to open the gates to let some water flow through, he is not suggesting completely flooding Bangkok, but by doing it gradually reduce the suffering of those in other places, that are shown on TV every minute of the day. I am sure if you had family in Ayuthaya or Ang Thong or Bangbuathong, you would want Bangkokians to help them to.

Stop wasting time try to understand that others are suffering, seems that many people here think they are above others and do not want to suffer. My place is outside of Bangkok, not far from the places that are being washed away now, I don't mind suffering a little to help my family in Ayuthaya.

Normally it is the Thais that go around being selfish, seems it has washed off on some people in here.

That is exactly the point im trying to make. But i might not bring it over correctly as its hard to think clearly when your flooded. Actually being flooded isnt the worst of it its not knowing how long it will stay or how deep it will be. But i do know one thing Bangkok can help.

I don't get the guy he is complaining me but im sure he has his opinion on things that he cant change either im sure i can find posts and remarks of him on topics he has no control about.

It would be nice to hear people say yes i accept some flooding to help others. Id gladly take half a meter more to help the situation pass more quickly. But Bangkok wants to keep dry and only makes it worse.

Again I am not talking about flooding the whole city. Just taking in loads of water at the risky side. Now is not the time not to take risks.

Thai PM tells Bangkok to move belongings to safety

BANGKOK, October 21, 2011 (AFP) - Millions of Bangkok residents were warned Friday to move their belongings higher up after the government admitted it was failing in its battle to hold back massive floods just north of the city.

Follow this link:

Robb, I can imagine your frustration/anger but wishing bad luck on others is not really cool IMO.

Jack, good point about buying a house, wonder how insurance companies are quickly working overtime to ensure they have covered their own behinds.

I am wishing no bad luck on anyone, just telling you guys to take your (controlled) share so it will all be over soon. But if you won't even consider it or sacrifice a bit. In that case i would gladly take 1 meter more here in the hope that the Bangkok dams crack (if its higher here the pressure at your side will build up too).

That is the whole point, take a bit to help others (controlled) and make sure the disaster is done with soon. Or don't and wait till your dams crack. If you see the sheer volume of water that is coming (i am seeing it) you will know its unavoidable.

The people that will be affected by this (i.e. me in Eastern BKK) are not the people making the decisions.

What is there for us to consider or sacrifice? We don't even know what is going on and we probably wont know until 10 mins before the water hits.

Just because you have suffered, it does not put you on higher moral ground that people yet to be hit.

Then take your stuff up to higher grounds, i know we did when we heard of the risk. Other then that its the governments duty to inform your guys (not that i expect much of them.

Are you saying you did not prepare anything at all ?

another one, why not read the post correctly it says "SHARE", we need to share the water or you can forget the places North of Bangkok and Ayuthaya and Angthong will never ever recover.

He has suggested (ROB) that the gates be opened to eliviate the suffering and let a little bit of water pass through and go out to sea, then to keep on doing this at intervals to help others. Bangkok is not Thailand, it is part of it, and should think that there are others suffering more than they every will.

Oh and where do you live?

another one, why not read the post correctly it says "SHARE", we need to share the water or you can forget the places North of Bangkok and Ayuthaya and Angthong will never ever recover.

He has suggested (ROB) that the gates be opened to eliviate the suffering and let a little bit of water pass through and go out to sea, then to keep on doing this at intervals to help others. Bangkok is not Thailand, it is part of it, and should think that there are others suffering more than they every will.

Oh and where do you live?

People seem to think i want them all underwater, i don't i just want the canals as wide open as possible and yes it probably will cause some flooding (hopefully not).

But if nobody wants to do this and help others then i would not mind / even wish all that water come crashing in.

But my preference is option one using the canals as good as possible to relieve some pressure

Then take your stuff up to higher grounds, i know we did when we heard of the risk. Other then that its the governments duty to inform your guys (not that i expect much of them.

Are you saying you did not prepare anything at all ?

Of course I am prepared.

Still, when Eastern Bangkok floods, unlike you, I will not be wishing this upon others.

That is exactly the point im trying to make. But i might not bring it over correctly as its hard to think clearly when your flooded. Actually being flooded isnt the worst of it its not knowing how long it will stay or how deep it will be. But i do know one thing Bangkok can help.

I don't get the guy he is complaining me but im sure he has his opinion on things that he cant change either im sure i can find posts and remarks of him on topics he has no control about.

It would be nice to hear people say yes i accept some flooding to help others. Id gladly take half a meter more to help the situation pass more quickly. But Bangkok wants to keep dry and only makes it worse.

Again I am not talking about flooding the whole city. Just taking in loads of water at the risky side. Now is not the time not to take risks.

If i were the one making the decisions, i would have emptied the reservoirs a month ago, i would have had the canals flowing water out to see a month ago. What pi*sses me off is your mentality that the residents of Bangkok are all sat here preventing the water from flowing and your agressive 'wash them away' mentality.

The point i am trying to make here is your anger and blame is directed at the wrong people, you appear to be blaming the man on the street, not the idiots who have the power to do things. I have never said i want bangkok to stay dry at the expense of the rest of the country, but those of you who are stood in water right now want to attack and blame us (bangkokians) several times now you have said if bangkok doesnt take some water, you want it washed away/destroyed. I say to you, tell those in power, dont attack the rest of us.

Of course I am prepared.

Still, when Eastern Bangkok floods, unlike you, I will not be wishing this upon others.

When you are flooded you will be wishing that others will help you, that will also mean opening the gates to let water into Bangkok.

Some people just need to watch the news and see the people suffering outside of Bangkok, then ask yourselves, should we take a little bit of water to stop their suffering?

I live in Nonthaburi, not yet affected by the water, but close to it.

People seem to think i want them all underwater, i don't i just want the canals as wide open as possible and yes it probably will cause some flooding (hopefully not).

But if nobody wants to do this and help others then i would not mind / even wish all that water come crashing in.

But my preference is option one using the canals as good as possible to relieve some pressure

Here is the issue.

Decisions are being made by incompetent people in government.

Victims of water 'crashing in' are regular people, the poorer being hit hardest.

Your whole argument of 'let water crash in' is ill thought out. You want people to be hurt because of a few idiots in power that are making bad decisions.

Perhaps you will be happy to see the poorer neighbourhoods of Bangkok to be washed out. Who knows. Perhaps you don't like poor Isaan people much. They will be the ones affected the most.

Let Bangkok flood, im here in water because they refuse to open the gates. I hope i get an other meter of water here (i wont like it) but that will assure that Bangkok's gates will crack. Letting the water in at high speed and washing it all away.

They seem to be unwilling to share the burden, if they had let it open earlier a lot less problems would arise. Yes some area's would have been flooded then but it wont compare with what is going to happen.

I am seeing the power of the water now, it cant be stopped it needs to flow. By not sacrificing a bit they are only making it worse.

I'm with you! Most of my village evacuated yesterday morning. A few of us remain and the water, as you said, cannot be stopped by any means. Though they should have done this long ago, it's not too late. The longer they wait, the greater the consequences.

Ditto!

post-61130-0-51322600-1319159381_thumb.j

‎6:45 am

Main entrance gate at our residence

That will not resist for another 24 hours..sad.gif

Lazygourmet. I sincerely hope your village will not get flooded. There are no barriers or water pumps that will keep the water out. It will go where it wants to go. When the amount of volume and pressure reach a certain level, it's over. My village, thankfully, isn't that bad when compared to many others. We're still getting overflow from the Khlong Luang area. One of the concerns in this area is the overflow of the khlongs on Nakhon Nayok-Rangsit. It would be a double whammy for us.

post-6428-0-83138200-1319163917_thumb.jp

Our barriers were broken yesterday morning. Sandbags and pumping the water did no good at all.

post-6428-0-04502700-1319163925_thumb.jp

This was last night at 7PM.

The water is nearly at door level now, and just a matter of time before it's in the house, but I'm not expecting it to be that bad providing the khlongs don't overflow too much here. If what I am experiencing now is what Bangkok would go through, then I don't see what the problem is. It's not tragic nor is it that severe. Inconvenient, yes. If Bangkok had to go through an inconvenience such as I am in order to help those in real dire need, then it's worth it.

Of course I am prepared.

When you are flooded you will be wishing that others will help you, that will also mean opening the gates to let water into Bangkok.

Some people just need to watch the news and see the people suffering outside of Bangkok, then ask yourselves, should we take a little bit of water to stop their suffering?

I live in Nonthaburi, not yet affected by the water, but close to it.

Actually this is not correct. My presumption is that there will be no-one on hand to help. I am therefore fully prepared. I have watched the news. I have donated.

As for asking myself should I take a little bit of water... How do I or any of the other 10 million or so residents actually have any say in the matter?

I certainly don't mind taking some water but I have no say in the issue.

What is it you want Bangkok residents to do? Turn on the taps and flood their own houses? We sure as hell can't do much other than wait/fill sandbags right now.

Here is the issue.

Victims of water 'crashing in' are regular people, the poorer being hit hardest.

Your whole argument of 'let water crash in' is ill thought out. You want people to be hurt because of a few idiots in power that are making bad decisions.

Perhaps you will be happy to see the poorer neighbourhoods of Bangkok to be washed out. Who knows. Perhaps you don't like poor Isaan people much. They will be the ones affected the most.

Decisions by the Government are being made to assist the masses, not to keep Bangkok dry. Like I said Thailand is not just Bangkok, and not just about Farangs or Thais, this is about people and their suffering. We need to help those who have suffered up to now, we have not suffered we have been protected, but we have to share. If we cannot share the burden then we are showing that there is a divide in Thailand, and people who have suffered will get more annoyed and we might have more that what happened at Central World happening.

Edited by beano2274

The masses voted for the Government to work on their behalf, and they are trying to do so. But people have to think about others and not just about themselves.

Sensible comment. Simple as that. People are thinking about others and assisting. I'm seeing this bringing people together.

Shame that this thread like so many has been dominated by personal insults.

Edited by andrew55

The masses voted for the Government to work on their behalf, and they are trying to do so. But people have to think about others and not just about themselves.

Unfair statement, I know dozens of people of all persuasion and countless businesses donating time, money goods so that those severely affected upcountry can get some much needed aid / money / food / clothing.

We don't pick where the aid goes - only hoping that it goes to those that need it the most.

Flooding all of Bangkok (as some people on here suggest) could hamper relief efforts to help those people upcountry who are sleeping on the sides of roads. You have then turned a major disaster into an even greater one.

Tell that to the powers that be, the ones the 'masses' voted for.

Until you have done that, stop attacking the people of Bangkok and blaming them (large parts of Bangkok didn't vote for them, by the way) and Rob needs to stop wishing for Bangkok to be washed away because the man on the street hasn't taken their 'share' of the water yet. I suggest you either call or write to those in power, as these are the people keeping the plug in the hole, these are the people who are making your plight worse.

But whilst you hold to the mentality that the general public of Bangkok are causing your situation to be worse, you have no sympathy from me.

Until you have done that, stop attacking the people of Bangkok and blaming them (large parts of Bangkok didn't vote for them, by the way) and Rob needs to stop wishing for Bangkok to be washed away because the man on the street hasn't taken their 'share' of the water yet. I suggest you either call or write to those in power, as these are the people keeping the plug in the hole, these are the people who are making your plight worse.

But whilst you hold to the mentality that the general public of Bangkok are causing your situation to be worse, you have no sympathy from me.

More and more BS from you does not make a fact

your comments on this thread have shown you are thinking chiefly about yourself and your nest in Bangkok. Others outside have suffered, my family for instance has lost 6 houses in Ayuthaya. I live in Nonthaburi, I have donated money, I have spoken to the people at my condo and given them advice on what to protect (like the outside generator). But the gates have to open to help those already suffering, so that they can start to get some parts of their lives in order. I work in Bangkok, many of my friends (mostly Thai) live here, but we need to share the suffering.

If we don't we might see something like the reds in Bangkok again, and they will be more angry and will want to see people here suffer, so you might see something like the burning of Central World happening again, but bigger.

your comments on this thread have shown you are thinking chiefly about yourself and your nest in Bangkok. Others outside have suffered, my family for instance has lost 6 houses in Ayuthaya. I live in Nonthaburi, I have donated money, I have spoken to the people at my condo and given them advice on what to protect (like the outside generator). But the gates have to open to help those already suffering, so that they can start to get some parts of their lives in order. I work in Bangkok, many of my friends (mostly Thai) live here, but we need to share the suffering.

If we don't we might see something like the reds in Bangkok again, and they will be more angry and will want to see people here suffer, so you might see something like the burning of Central World happening again, but bigger.

Poor analogy : 'My poor family lost 6 houses so I want you to lose your only house so I can feel better'.

Here is the issue.

Pedro I wish it upon others so it will pass faster for all of us. Also i prefer this to be done without too much flooding of BKK. I really think that if it isnt done now it will hit you and us with a vengeance later. So yes i would choose for some extra people to get wet for a short while to end the suffering of many more.

Poor analogy : 'My poor family lost 6 houses so I want you to lose your only house so I can feel better'.

I doubt that all 6 houses were owned by one family. Anyway take 10-20 cm of water and it will be over faster for the rest of the country. (preferably take none but as much in the canals as possibel and take some risks)