Yingluck urges Bangkokians not to panic as canals fill up

webfact

The masses voted for the Government to work on their behalf, and they are trying to do so. But people have to think about others and not just about themselves.

Tell that to the powers that be, the ones the 'masses' voted for.

Until you have done that, stop attacking the people of Bangkok and blaming them (large parts of Bangkok didn't vote for them, by the way) and Rob needs to stop wishing for Bangkok to be washed away because the man on the street hasn't taken their 'share' of the water yet. I suggest you either call or write to those in power, as these are the people keeping the plug in the hole, these are the people who are making your plight worse.

But whilst you hold to the mentality that the general public of Bangkok are causing your situation to be worse, you have no sympathy from me.

your comments on this thread have shown you are thinking chiefly about yourself and your nest in Bangkok. Others outside have suffered, my family for instance has lost 6 houses in Ayuthaya. I live in Nonthaburi, I have donated money, I have spoken to the people at my condo and given them advice on what to protect (like the outside generator). But the gates have to open to help those already suffering, so that they can start to get some parts of their lives in order. I work in Bangkok, many of my friends (mostly Thai) live here, but we need to share the suffering.

If we don't we might see something like the reds in Bangkok again, and they will be more angry and will want to see people here suffer, so you might see something like the burning of Central World happening again, but bigger.

Poor analogy : 'My poor family lost 6 houses so I want you to lose your only house so I can feel better'.

Did I say that, no I didn't. STOP putting words in peoples mouths. My family lost the houses, but I have not once said let yours flood to!!!!!!

I am willing to do my bit not for my family but for those I work with, those who are suffering and those who have suffered.

If you want to quote someone do it properly.

Edited to remove a word.

Edited by beano2274

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

your comments on this thread have shown you are thinking chiefly about yourself and your nest in Bangkok. Others outside have suffered, my family for instance has lost 6 houses in Ayuthaya. I live in Nonthaburi, I have donated money, I have spoken to the people at my condo and given them advice on what to protect (like the outside generator). But the gates have to open to help those already suffering, so that they can start to get some parts of their lives in order. I work in Bangkok, many of my friends (mostly Thai) live here, but we need to share the suffering.

If we don't we might see something like the reds in Bangkok again, and they will be more angry and will want to see people here suffer, so you might see something like the burning of Central World happening again, but bigger.

What the hell are you smoking? did you consume some of the poluted flood water or something?

Show me where i have said i want bangkok to stay dry, show me where i have said "its my choice to leave the plug in the hole" i have been saying all morning that the people in power are the ones who you need to direct your anger towards. The people selling food on the streets, going to work in their office blocks or (dare i say it) sat in nana drinking a beer do not have the power or ability to do anything about this. I'm sorry for your plight and i hope you and yours are safe and can salvage something after this cluster-<deleted> of a mess has past us all, but this is not our doing!

Instead all of you who are affected by this disaster focus your anger on the residents of bangkok, blaming us for your situation and wishing disaster befalls us as some kind of 'punishment' because the government the thai people voted for has grossly mismanaged this flood and have kept the flood gates sealed around bangkok. I presume you are a red supporter (i apologize if that assumption is not correct) due to your Red Anger statement, but i remind you that you have a red government, and its that government that kept the plug in the hole.

What would you have me do? Go to the flood gates and open them myself?

Asian cultures are still basically based on feudalism. Strict hierarchies and one is not allowed to go against higher boss. Many times the boss has gained his position based on his family connections and power, not skills.

Even more advanced than Thais, the Japanese still wasted weeks in Fukushima because saving faces was more important than trying to minimize damages as quickly as possible.

Edited by tim73

Beano:

I wasn't quoting I was paraphrasing ;) Anyways your point and same with Rob's is essentially the same - let's burn the place (flood in this case) to the ground for fear the Reds may return and do it for us. Sorry your cursing or scare tactics won't work with me.

Fyi, my wife's family's house is flooded in Nothaburi and so is her cousin's in Ayuttaya. I asked her should we flood all of Bangkok because of this and she said why, the house is flooded already - flooding more houses and causing more damage won't help will it. Quote that if you want - properly, improperly, I don't honestly care how you use it.

What the hell are you smoking? did you consume some of the poluted flood water or something?

Show me where i have said i want bangkok to stay dry, show me where i have said "its my choice to leave the plug in the hole" i have been saying all morning that the people in power are the ones who you need to direct your anger towards. The people selling food on the streets, going to work in their office blocks or (dare i say it) sat in nana drinking a beer do not have the power or ability to do anything about this. I'm sorry for your plight and i hope you and yours are safe and can salvage something after this cluster-<deleted> of a mess has past us all, but this is not our doing!

Instead all of you who are affected by this disaster focus your anger on the residents of bangkok, blaming us for your situation and wishing disaster befalls us as some kind of 'punishment' because the government the thai people voted for has grossly mismanaged this flood and have kept the flood gates sealed around Bangkok. I presume you are a red supporter (i apologize if that assumption is not correct) due to your Red Anger statement, but i remind you that you have a red government, and its that government that kept the plug in the hole.

What would you have me do? Go to the flood gates and open them myself?

I said that someone told them to open the gates months ago, yes the Government is at fault, there is no argument there, however you keep saying that ROB wants to flood Bangkok, no he and others want Bangkok to take some water, and this is where you keep arguing your point. I am in Bangkok, I live here with the people who will suffer, but should we spread the suffering, or just let those others outside Bangkok suffer, just to save the Bangkokians. No we have to let some water through and slowly.

The problems will come if the Government does not do anything, there will be resentment and people will rise up again, and destroy the thing that was protected instead of aiding their suffering. That is where they will come to Bangkok and take revenge if the Government does not do anything.

Am not here to argue just to say that we all have to share the suffering. 10cm of water is not going to kill Bangkok.

Beano:

I wasn't quoting I was paraphrasing ;) Anyways your point and same with Rob's is essentially the same - let's burn the place (flood in this case) to the ground for fear the Reds may return and do it for us. Sorry your cursing or scare tactics won't work with me.

Fyi, my wife's family's house is flooded in Nothaburi and so is her cousin's in Ayuttaya. I asked her should we flood all of Bangkok because of this and she said why, the house is flooded already - flooding more houses and causing more damage won't help will it. Quote that if you want - properly, improperly, I don't honestly care how you use it.

People are not saying to flood Bangkok, just let some water pass through and out to sea, to help those like your family try to get back to some kind of normality in life and to start cleaning up.

More and more BS from you does not make a fact

really? so you honestly believe that the general public have the power to open the gates?

Should be a 'venting' thread somewhere to stop other threads like this being reduced to the gutter.

Edited by Rimmer
Flame from quoted post

I said that someone told them to open the gates months ago, yes the Government is at fault, there is no argument there, however you keep saying that ROB wants to flood Bangkok, no he and others want Bangkok to take some water, and this is where you keep arguing your point. I am in Bangkok, I live here with the people who will suffer, but should we spread the suffering, or just let those others outside Bangkok suffer, just to save the Bangkokians. No we have to let some water through and slowly.

The problems will come if the Government does not do anything, there will be resentment and people will rise up again, and destroy the thing that was protected instead of aiding their suffering. That is where they will come to Bangkok and take revenge if the Government does not do anything.

Am not here to argue just to say that we all have to share the suffering. 10cm of water is not going to kill Bangkok.

No hes saying if Bangkok doesn't take some water, he wants Bangkok to be washed away...

So because the government kept the plug in the hole, he wants the whole of bangkok to suffer, then you jumped on the bandwagon blaming and accusing the Bangkok people of making your plight worse.

I put it to you, that that's the fault of the government, not the people of Bangkok, yes i would accept some flooding (please wait until my sandbags are delivered this morning and i can *try* to protect my house tho! :) ) but please stop with the 'Bangkok people are to blame' cos frankly, that is a crock of sh*te

No hes saying if Bangkok doesn't take some water, he wants Bangkok to be washed away...

So because the government kept the plug in the hole, he wants the whole of bangkok to suffer, then you jumped on the bandwagon blaming and accusing the Bangkok people of making your plight worse.

I put it to you, that that's the fault of the government, not the people of Bangkok, yes i would accept some flooding (please wait until my sandbags are delivered this morning and i can *try* to protect my house tho! :) ) but please stop with the 'Bangkok people are to blame' cos frankly, that is a crock of sh*te

Have I said Bangkok people are to blame?? Find that quote from me.

He says if Bangkok does not help he wishes it to be flooded, I am sure if you were flooded and in the same position you would, but we all know that he just wants others to help by taking some water.

Of course its the government who is to blame and is incompetent. But now you are saying you are willing to take some water. That is all nothing more also you cant beg for it nothing you can do but at least you are willing. That is it.

Yes I wanted it flooded if the government did not let water in selfish i know but in a way then the government would be proven wrong again for not letting water in.

He says if Bangkok does not help he wishes it to be flooded, I am sure if you were flooded and in the same position you would, but we all know that he just wants others to help by taking some water.

Pure frustration on my part that i put it so angrily should not have said i wanted Bangkok to flood if they did not take water in. But i want BKK to take it share of the water.

This site shows the water level in the various klongs in Bangkok. The red stations are offline and a couple of the green stations seem to be offline too, but the rest will show the current water level.

As of now, all of the stations seem to show about what they have been showing for the past week or so... anywhere from .5 to 1.5 meters of clearance between the surface of the water and and the top of the banks!

The only klong that is showing anything else is Klong Premprachakorn - the northernmost one:

6265623274_633427eb4b.jpg

Here is the url for the site:

Klong water levels

If you haven't witnessed it with your own eyes.. you don't know. Its a mass of water moving towards your guys. Slowly creeping up, this village has never in its history been flooded. Now we are flooded, it is still manageable. (im less then 20 km from BKK). If Bangkok does not open its gates completely water will build up in the end just opening them then wont suffice and it will be a torrent going in.

I am saying take a few days of problems like we did here and get it over with. If the high tide in the end of the month arrives you got a big problem.

Your dutch expertise might have prevented your home from being flooded! Where were you when the flood came? Nana Plaza?

If you haven't witnessed it with your own eyes.. you don't know. Its a mass of water moving towards your guys. Slowly creeping up, this village has never in its history been flooded. Now we are flooded, it is still manageable. (im less then 20 km from BKK). If Bangkok does not open its gates completely water will build up in the end just opening them then wont suffice and it will be a torrent going in.

I am saying take a few days of problems like we did here and get it over with. If the high tide in the end of the month arrives you got a big problem.

Your dutch expertise might have prevented your home from being flooded! Where were you when the flood came? Nana Plaza?

No i was filling sandbags as i have said a couple of days ago in many of my posts. I am no water engineer, but the Dutch are renowned for it. But i doubt they could make it here with so much corruption undermining everything.

Also brought most stuff up to the second floor cut power to the first floor made sure i had enough water and food. As long as the water wont come much higher and the electricity stays on im ok.

Pure frustration on my part that i put it so angrily should not have said i wanted Bangkok to flood if they did not take water in. But i want BKK to take it share of the water.

OK, there you have it. Rob apologized and has retracted his earlier statement which was purely fueled by frustration.

It is only human that frustration about things outside your control gets the better of you sometimes.

Let us all just hope that the plan of action will not cause unnecessary problems for anybody.

Robb, I can imagine your frustration/anger but wishing bad luck on others is not really cool IMO.

Jack, good point about buying a house, wonder how insurance companies are quickly working overtime to ensure they have covered their own behinds.

I am wishing no bad luck on anyone, just telling you guys to take your (controlled) share so it will all be over soon. But if you won't even consider it or sacrifice a bit. In that case i would gladly take 1 meter more here in the hope that the Bangkok dams crack (if its higher here the pressure at your side will build up too).

That is the whole point, take a bit to help others (controlled) and make sure the disaster is done with soon. Or don't and wait till your dams crack. If you see the sheer volume of water that is coming (i am seeing it) you will know its unavoidable.

You understand that the posters on TVF have no power or control over this, right? But your 'i will take 1mtr of water so that Bangkok gets washed away" mentality will affect *millions* of people, from beggers on the street, food vendors through to babies, children and old people...

Karam is a b*tch, and i hope she bites you.

Robb,

in 1972, my family lost the house, business, cars...everything...and the insurance would not pay a cent. I left home with the shirt on my back. I have thought about what you are saying, and if filtered carefully...it is not "<deleted>" Bangkok...it is a sense that while you rot in waste deep water...we get a free pass. I really feel that frustration. However, there are issues larger than yours, and if Bangkok falls, the long term impact will last years, and a country that was quickly ramping up to be an important economic player in SEA will go back to "Third World Rice Farm." These are the economic "cost / risk" analysis that the current leadership is faced with. (I will regret that part, since it will unleash a flood of hate mail from the Peanut Gallery...but...it is a fact, regardless of who is leading the parade on any given day.)

My point is, please do not think we are sitting here not respecting your situation and the sacrifice you and others are making. It sucks, and there is no smiley face for that. I regret your misfortune, can relate to your lose, respect your anger and indignation and wish you all the best.

Let Bangkok flood, im here in water because they refuse to open the gates. I hope i get an other meter of water here (i wont like it) but that will assure that Bangkok's gates will crack. Letting the water in at high speed and washing it all away.

They seem to be unwilling to share the burden, if they had let it open earlier a lot less problems would arise. Yes some area's would have been flooded then but it wont compare with what is going to happen.

I am seeing the power of the water now, it cant be stopped it needs to flow. By not sacrificing a bit they are only making it worse.

I'm with you! Most of my village evacuated yesterday morning. A few of us remain and the water, as you said, cannot be stopped by any means. Though they should have done this long ago, it's not too late. The longer they wait, the greater the consequences.

We got it in CM 4 weeks ago, lifted everything we could a metre above the floor, but got 2 metre down the street, and about 1.6 metre in the house, lost almost everything, been in a new house a week now, but take a while to pay off the Mastercard. good luck to all still suffering.

Ditto!

post-61130-0-51322600-1319159381_thumb.j

‎6:45 am

Main entrance gate at our residence

That will not resist for another 24 hours..sad.gif

Amazing how stupid a human being can be. Speechless.

I believe it, the reds start already to spread lies on who did the floods.

Robb, I can imagine your frustration/anger but wishing bad luck on others is not really cool IMO.

Jack, good point about buying a house, wonder how insurance companies are quickly working overtime to ensure they have covered their own behinds.

I am wishing no bad luck on anyone, just telling you guys to take your (controlled) share so it will all be over soon. But if you won't even consider it or sacrifice a bit. In that case i would gladly take 1 meter more here in the hope that the Bangkok dams crack (if its higher here the pressure at your side will build up too).

That is the whole point, take a bit to help others (controlled) and make sure the disaster is done with soon. Or don't and wait till your dams crack. If you see the sheer volume of water that is coming (i am seeing it) you will know its unavoidable.

You understand that the posters on TVF have no power or control over this, right? But your 'i will take 1mtr of water so that Bangkok gets washed away" mentality will affect *millions* of people, from beggers on the street, food vendors through to babies, children and old people...

Karam is a b*tch, and i hope she bites you.

Robb,

in 1972, my family lost the house, business, cars...everything...and the insurance would not pay a cent. I left home with the shirt on my back. I have thought about what you are saying, and if filtered carefully...it is not "<deleted>" Bangkok...it is a sense that while you rot in waste deep water...we get a free pass. I really feel that frustration. However, there are issues larger than yours, and if Bangkok falls, the long term impact will last years, and a country that was quickly ramping up to be an important economic player in SEA will go back to "Third World Rice Farm." These are the economic "cost / risk" analysis that the current leadership is faced with. (I will regret that part, since it will unleash a flood of hate mail from the Peanut Gallery...but...it is a fact, regardless of who is leading the parade on any given day.)

My point is, please do not think we are sitting here not respecting your situation and the sacrifice you and others are making. It sucks, and there is no smiley face for that. I regret your misfortune, can relate to your lose, respect your anger and indignation and wish you all the best.

I think to be honest there is no way Bangkok can escape this. Its one way or the other, now flooding controlled (hopefully) or flooding uncontrolled.

Here the water rises slowly, i will loose out on some stuff for sure but i have money in the bank. Its not that what bothers me its the not knowing when the rising will stop. Or how long it will take. I am even thinking of trying to bet my brand new CBR 250 R on the second floor. But i doubt i can do that.

The actual money thing worries me the least. It will be a setback but i have a steady income. Unlike many Thais who are hit. Also i forsaw part of this and my car is parked somewhere in a condo.

It was a real bunfight in Brisbane after their flood, some companies simply refusing claims, others ducking, diving and delaying. I know that one company (the Qland govt one?) were good as gold - ALL my family have changed ALL their insurances to them even though most live in NSW. My nong sao (in Cleveland area, not flood affected) assures me this is not uncommon.

If you believe it, then you are as foolish as those that spread such nonsense. It is irresponsible to repeat these things as it only lends credence. Do not under estimate the understanding of those that have suffered. Most severyone understands why Bangkok had to be saved as long as possible. Up country folk have no desire to see more people hurt and more damage done.

Here are the water level measuring stations on Klong Lad Prao, which runs roughly north-south:

6265158409_67c7682db6.jpg

Here is the northernmost station, which has water .47 meters above the normal level:

6265158413_e4f222f7d7.jpg

Here is the station in the middle, with water .08 meters above normal:

6265158417_8f2006b0ab.jpg

And here is the southernmost station, with water .59 meters below the normal level!:

6265158421_88c4edb77f.jpg

So, it looks as though the water is coming through (hopefully through and not in!). Given that the water is moving fairly slowly, any flooding probably won't hit Sukhumvit or Silom until some time tomorrow or Sunday. I live near Ratchada & will probably see if there is going to be a problem or not by tomorrow morning!

If you believe it, then you are as foolish as those that spread such nonsense. It is irresponsible to repeat these things as it only lends credence. Do not under estimate the understanding of those that have suffered. Most severyone understands why Bangkok had to be saved as long as possible. Up country folk have no desire to see more people hurt and more damage done.

Kid, i was just walking to my flooded village talking with the neighbours they all said the same Bangkok must open their canals. (they did not say they want to flood BKK).But they do want a solution. Many live and work in BKK its quite close to BKK too. Anyway i need to work but its hard to focus with all this going on.

Perfectly understandable. Must be awful. Wish you well.

Edited by metisdead
Repaired quote tags.