Good Crispy Roasted Duck

sunnyhor

Hi TV friends, I am looking for a roasted Duck in Chiang Mai, anyone happen to come across, kindly share.

Not Jia Tong Heng & MK . I had been there but the JTH is good but very expensive. The MK one is not what I'm looking for.

Any knowledge, please share! TY.

• 2 weeks later...

We heard of a place with good roast duck not far from Mccormick Hospital on Kaeo Nawarat (head towards the river from Mccormick). It had been in business for several years. We ate there only once because we are hardly ever in that area, but it was very good duck. However, I don't remember the skin being crispy. We only ordered a duck rice place and the price was right.

Does anyone know the name of this place and is it still there (for the op)?

We heard of a place with good roast duck not far from Mccormick Hospital on Kaeo Nawarat (head towards the river from Mccormick). It had been in business for several years. We ate there only once because we are hardly ever in that area, but it was very good duck. However, I don't remember the skin being crispy. We only ordered a duck rice place and the price was right.

I can't tell you the name of the place but it is still there. (I believe it has been there 20 or so years). It is just past McCormick Hospital on the same side. There are two restaurants and it is the 2nd one going towards the river. The skin is not crispy, you are correct.

Having had seen the responses in this thread about roast duck, I would never contemplate opening such a restaurant even if I know a master chef.!

Our nephew from the States visited us in Bangkok a couple of weeks ago, We had dinner at our house and we talked about foods in the States and here. He said he loved moo daeng (barbecue pork) and kow mum gai but the moo daeng is so shi-tty here. A week later when he returned after a trip to the South, I made him some moo daeng. He said it was the best he had ever tasted!...Yeah, I know...he said that just to make me happy. But the other supporting evidence is that 1.5 kg of pork was consumed entirely. Oh, there were another 2 guests beside my wife and me.

On sala pao sai moo daeng, I have never experienced anything tin Thailand hat could be called good. The street hawkers who sell them have the buns so fluffy and soft that you feel like biting on foams that dissolve.

On buns, I lived in a guesthouse on several occasions and I've found UN Irish Pub at Rawithi(?) selling burger buns with sesame for B10 the best in the world. ..well, my world at least!

If I am not wrong, this restaurant selling all sorts of food. And sorry to say if this is the right one, it's none to good.

Frankly, what I am looking is a little difficult because the best roasted duck I'd ever eaten is from my country and Malaysia. So wanting to find the same standard in Thailand is a little hard. But I had try Jia Tong Heng roasted duck before, they are VERY good, BUT.......... way too expensive. My 2 cents.

I can't tell you the name of the place but it is still there. (I believe it has been there 20 or so years). It is just past McCormick Hospital on the same side. There are two restaurants and it is the 2nd one going towards the river. The skin is not crispy, you are correct.

Our nephew from the States visited us in Bangkok a couple of weeks ago, We had dinner at our house and we talked about foods in the States and here. He said he loved moo daeng (barbecue pork) and kow mum gai but the moo daeng is so shi-tty here.

There is plenty of substandard pork being sold here, but there is excellent pork too.

If you go to the Suan Dok Hospital on the other side of the street a little ways towards Doi Suthep there is an open Thai restauarant that specializes in pork and everything that I have had there was delicious and very cheap. I just wish that there were places like this closer to where I live.

The best duck place that i have been to is opposite the CMU main front gate there is a big food market starts from 5pm everyday, you go into the market go past success Italian go past the 2 steak places and it's the last one on the right has so many people there everyday .

The skin is crispy and you can get duck peak if you want it wink.gif

Edited by rakchaingmai

Too add my two cents, or should that be baht, I love the the first place next to the McCormick that offers a large variety of dishes. The food is real good, and the service is great and quick since most things are ready to eat (makes great quick take-out on the way home) and since they are busy the turn over good so fresh. The duck next door is also real good and well worth using up a good hunger, something I hate to waste on a bad meal!

Too add my two cents, or should that be baht, I love the the first place next to the McCormick that offers a large variety of dishes. The food is real good, and the service is great and quick since most things are ready to eat (makes great quick take-out on the way home) and since they are busy the turn over good so fresh. The duck next door is also real good and well worth using up a good hunger, something I hate to waste on a bad meal!

I really like that one as well. There's a good range of good-value delicious food served quickly. The one next door that serves duck is owned by the same family that owns the air-con place opposite SCB on the opposite side of the road a further 150m towards the superhighway. That's another popular place at good prices but no duck.

If there are very few places that serve crisp duck the way the OP wants it, wouldn't this suggest that the Thais don't like it that way. Jia Tong Heng is the exception but this may be because the majority of their customers are Taiwanese and Chinese tourists.

The best duck place that i have been to is opposite the CMU main front gate there is a big food market starts from 5pm everyday, you go into the market go past success Italian go past the 2 steak places and it's the last one on the right has so many people there everyday .

The skin is crispy and you can get duck peak if you want it wink.gif

You are making me hungry. Is that pretty close to the old Mi Casa restaurant? If I remember correctly there is no where to park around there, right?

Hopefully Husky Stadium in Seattle with a 4th qtr comeback witll have some roasted Duck in the last game played in HS, fingers crossed. The ole gal is getting a 250M facelift and the University of Nike aka zeros last won the Rose Bowl in 1917....ouch, double ouch....Go daWgs!