Bangkok Governor Urges FROC To Take Charge

webfact

Bangkok governor urges FROC to take charge

The Nation

30168287-01.jpg

The Bangkok governor yesterday called on the government's Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC) to take control of the mission to solve the flood problem in Bangkok from the city administration.

MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra said the FROC has been slow in responding to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's call for assistance in strengthening temporary floodwalls to protect Bangkok from upstream water runoffs.

He said water levels in the Rangsit Canal, which is just north of the capital, were rising and some roads were flooded. The governor warned that if the barriers in this area broke, there would be flooding on VibhavadiRangsit Road and the Don Mueang Airport.

"We sought help from the FROC but there has been no action in the problem areas. The BMA is mobilising its people to strengthen the dykes. I will ask the FROC to take care of this matter," he said.

The governor said some problem areas were beyond the BMA's authority, for example, the leaks of flood barriers along the Prapa Canal, which carries water for the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority's production of tap water in Bangkok.

"I have accepted responsibility for many issues that I should not have had to," he said.

Sukhumbhand said water runoffs from upstream provinces were entering Bangkok's canal system.

Sudarat Keyuraphan, an adviser to the FROC, said the water level in the waterworks canal that ran into the heart of Bangkok should be well under control within two days.

"We are pumping out runoff water," she said, referring to efforts by the government and the BMA. Flood water about 20 centimetres high, however, had already covered the Chaeng Wattana Road in front of the Government Complex.

As of press time, runoff water from the Nava Nakorn Industrial Estate and Asian Institute of Technology had already reached the Royal Thai Air Force's stadium on the Phaholyothin Road in Bangkok.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-22

Isn't this the same man who tried to score political points earlier by saying Bangkok was safe in his hands and he wanted nothing from the Government? But that was before he opened his eyes and faced reality.

Now let's hear from all the PTP-bashers about lack of foresight, etc.,etc. :whistling:

Isn't this the same man who tried to score political points earlier by saying Bangkok was safe in his hands and he wanted nothing from the Government? But that was before he opened his eyes and faced reality.

Now let's hear from all the PTP-bashers about lack of foresight, etc.,etc. :whistling:

Ha Ha Ha .... wait and see who politically survives this disaster.

Actually, I think he said that the government weren't providing enough help, so he took control himself.

If the PM invokes the disaster mitigation act and hands control to FROC isn't it normal to expect them to take control?

That is the mandate of FROC, as such by requesting FROC to take over the handling of the Bangkok flood control plan MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra is asking them to do the job, he is standing aside so as not to cause problems by having a clash of leadership authority.

The man and his team of staff have worked hard and methodically to try to minimise if not stem the water flow into Bangkok ( "I have accepted responsibility for many issues that I should not have had to," he said.)

Perhaps had the assorted wannabees who were running around in ever decreasing circles crying out "I'm in charge," till they vanished like the proverbial OOselum bird had actually worked together for the benefit of the community at large we may not have been in such a mess to start with

Edited by siampolee

Nearly a week ago, he was assured that the worst was past from the Minister who controls things outside his area. Could that have led to mistaken confidence perhaps?

Where has that idiot got to - did someone take him out and drown him?

If the PM invokes the disaster mitigation act and hands control to FROC isn't it normal to expect them to take control?

That is the mandate of FROC, as such by requesting FROC to take over the handling of the Bangkok flood control plan MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra is asking them to do the job, he is standing aside so as not to cause problems by having a clash of leadership authority.

The man and his team of staff have worked hard and methodically to try to minimise if not stem the water flow into Bangkok ( "I have accepted responsibility for many issues that I should not have had to," he said.)

Perhaps had the assorted wannabees who were running around in ever decreasing circles crying out "I'm in charge," till they vanished like the proverbial OOselum bird had actually worked together for the benefit of the community at large we may not have been in such a mess to start with

All is not as it seems; FROC took charge of the BMAs' duties Yesterday. Seems like the esteemed Governor is covering his a*se.

PM steps up control

The Nation October 22, 2011 9:09 am

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday overrode the mandate of the city administration by invoking the disaster law to take over the supervision of flood control and drainage in Bangkok.

Under Article 31 of the 2550 Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act, the central government has in effect sidelined the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration in terms of dealing with floods.

"The written order as mandated by the disaster law would be clear for all relevant agencies to comply with in uniformity, such as the issue of opening sluice gates to regulate thewater flow," Yingluck said.

Before issuing the disaster warning for Bangkok, she chaired a high level meeting to assess the situation, particularly the runoff heading toward the capital. Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra was notably absent.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/PM-steps-up-control-30168286.html

Nearly a week ago, he was assured that the worst was past from the Minister who controls things outside his area. Could that have led to mistaken confidence perhaps?

Where has that idiot got to - did someone take him out and drown him?

He's out the back cooking escaped exotic wildlife steaks with Plodprasob.

Compare the track records of how Sukhumband has conducted himself through this crisis, and compare that to how FROC has performed, and it's not even a close call.

If the news reports are accurate, I hardly feel more safe and secure in BKK knowing that FROC is supposedly protecting my home....

The central govt. thru the PM has exercised its authority, at least by decree, to take over complete control. Now let's see what they do with it...

I just hope they don't FROC up BKK as much as they've FROCed up the rest of the country. :)

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

He had his control of BKK water management removed yesterday by the PM, so what is he on about apart from poltical games?

The central government are obviously rersponding to all the calls for BKK gates to be opened which Sukhumband wanted to resist or limit. Without the disaster decree the BKK water gates remained directly under his control. BKK is going to take a hit as the government responds to national concern while Sukhumband wanted to manage this to respond to his local concerned constituents.

By the way, I had a nice chat to a few PAD guys in Chonburi on the politics surrounding the floods. They seem to think every decision is poltical and are scathing of PTP and Dems and see absolutely no change in poltical alignments or voting intention after the floods, whihc is interesting

I agree Siampolee.

Sukhumband has been the only one to emerge with any credit.

+1 so far

+ another 1

He's had a "Fine, you do it then" moment, and I can't say I blame him.

and another +1

I believe he's done the hell of a very good job. The PM invokes the Natural Disaster Decree to take reins...? She's now in charge!

The headline is misleading. Sukhumbhand never asked for FROC to 'take charge". He merely asked for them to reinforce barriers.

But PT will do whatever it can to make Sukhumbhand look bad, despite the fact he has more administrative experience than the PM and anyone in her immediate circle.

Correct in one catmac.... he was flipping a coin every morning and praying to water gods for the flood to magically go away... Richard Cranium! Now to do a Dem side-shuffle and place the blame on someone else!

And he corrected himself on the next day, telling that he was wrong.

Correct in one catmac.... he was flipping a coin every morning and praying to water gods for the flood to magically go away... Richard Cranium! Now to do a Dem side-shuffle and place the blame on someone else!

There are.those who will not see.

The headline is misleading. Sukhumbhand never asked for FROC to 'take charge". He merely asked for them to reinforce barriers.

But PT will do whatever it can to make Sukhumbhand look bad, despite the fact he has more administrative experience than the PM and anyone in her immediate circle.

"The Bangkok governor yesterday called on the government's Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC) to take control of the mission to solve the flood problem in Bangkok from the city administration."

How can you possibly read it any other way?

Compare the track records of how Sukhumband has conducted himself through this crisis, and compare that to how FROC has performed, and it's not even a close call.

If the news reports are accurate, I hardly feel more safe and secure in BKK knowing that FROC is supposedly protecting my home....

The central govt. thru the PM has exercised its authority, at least by decree, to take over complete control. Now let's see what they do with it...

I just hope they don't FROC up BKK as much as they've FROCed up the rest of the country. :)

I'm not young and I can say without thinking about it much that the PM is one of the worst leaders I've seen in my life.

Now sideline the only person in authority right now who has a brain is whatever word is appropriate for somebody more stupid than an idiot, moron, fool, dodo, single-cell organism or whatever. I can't do the subject justice and hope the Thais get rid of this woman SOON. No leadership at all would be better.

Thinking about it a bit more in a slightly more impartial way, I'd say the PM's actions amount to treason.

Did what Thailand's enemies have been unable to do this century.

It is only hard to see because she has a Thai face and Thai name.

Ha Ha Ha .... wait and see who politically survives this disaster.

Unfortunately they have a lot of money to buy back the power

There are.those who will not see.

Indeed....

The Bangkok governor yesterday called on the government's Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC) to take control of the mission to solve the flood problem in Bangkok from the city administration.

PM utilizes Article 31 of Disaster Prevention n Mitigation Bill, ordering all gov't agencies to answer to FROC.

The prime minister insisted that declaring a State of Emergency will not solve the flood problem and calls on the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration to do all it can to cope with flooding in the capital.

Now all report to FROC. What does FROC do with the reports? Sit on them to stay dry? The PM ask BMA to cope with flooding the capital. Even aside from possible politics, this must hurt a bit after all the work done to prevent Bangkok from being flooded. Still if that's what the responsible person / organisation says, that's what we'll do: try to cope with flooding in Bangkok ;)

BTW I stood on the corner of NakhonChaisri/PhiChai in Khet Dusit a moment ago. Still dry as a bone :)

You seem to suffer from the same collective amnesia that afflicts so many other rabid red shirts-

Bangkokians have much more faith in the intelligence, communication and problem solving skills of governor Sukhumband than they do in the clowns who make up the Flood Relief Operations Center aka FROC.

When FROC "Science" Minister Plodprasop started issuing false evacuation alerts it was governor Sukhumband who spoke up and told Bangkokians to ignore the idiots at the FROC and trust him for ACCURATE news on the Bangkok flood situation.

Since that time the FROC has continued to make a complete mess fo things and clearly has no clue what they are doing, yet the PM decided to invoke Article 31 of the Disaster Prevention Mitigation Bill which requires all government agencies to answer to FROC.

Clearly a politically motivated decision- Rather than allow Democrat governor Sukhumband to continue his SUCCESSFUL management of the Bangkok flood crisis the PM now places direction of the BMA under the FROC.

Fortunately Bangkokians aren't as thick as the easily duped Red kwai. We see once again that the clone PM (or the one that holds the clone's strings) prefers to play politics rather than put the most qualified and experienced people in charge of resolving the ongoing flood crisis.

The Army and Bangkok Governor Sukhumband have received a lot of praise for their handling of the floods in Bangkok. The PM and her FROC have been widely criticized for their continued incompetence and mismanagement.

Bangkok is doing ok so far, but with the FROC in charge it's anyone's guess what happens next.

Edited by BigBikeBKK