Word Of Mouth

Beng

This is one of those topics that, just like with the French Revolution the dopey queen will see the small picture and tell all us peasants to go and eat cake.

FIRST - there is no question to answer.

SECOND all the comments that follow are from the gutter-grubbing peasants who will blather earnestly about noodle stalls, how many 7-11 there are, how often there are power cuts, the state of the roads, how awful the taxi fares are and how much they think Samui is finished as a holiday destination.

MEANWHILE . . . up in the hills ... there are so many people with so much money coming to Samui every month.

They know nothing about bad roads or flooding or power cuts.

They pay their 150,000 baht to stay here for a week then go again.

They have no knowledge of all you guys bickering about roads or the cost of BKK Airways flights cos they come here in their private jets. They stay in their 5-bedroom villas for a week and never even go outside to look what's there.

It's a little bit sad that there are people on this wonderful island who feel that they have a need to pull it to pieces over and over and over again.

This is Samui!

If you don't like it then

a) <deleted>*k off back where you came from and quit whinging all the time.

b!) Move where there are no 7-11s and only granny shops.

c) Stop posting negative stuff here

d)wake up and see the bigger picture.

Samui is what you want to make of it - Chaweng or Lipa Noi.

There are people here now staying on this island that love this place just cos it's beautiful. And they have the resources to buy and sell and cremate your entire family right back through ten generations without even being aware they have done it.

Confucius - he say - better a happy fool than a smart man that is badly informed.

R

So Samui is where the "1%" go and if the other "99%" don't like it then tough shit. Time to OCCUPY SAMUI!!! :)

Personally, I highly doubt that many super rich go to Samui. The resorts are beautiful (to us 99%ers at least) but there are many places with more for them to do outside of Thailand (not just Samui).

SIMPLE.

There are two factions on Samui.

You and me is one of them.

The other are the people who are BILLIONAIRES.

And there are more of these people here every month.

Complain all you want about the infrastructure, the roads, the cost of noodles on the road - it only makes you look kind of stupid when there are people coming here than can afford to make a million dollar bet on the result of the Superbowl and not even remember what they did.

PERSPECTIVE dude.

R

Rob,

You've completely missed my point here. I've not complained once about anything - my viewpoint is completely opposite to Beng'g BS.

My point you have quoted above is despite the imagined problems there are still LOTS of people coming here, and you certainly do not have to be a billionaire for a £100 BA flight to not ruin your day.

I was agreeing with you DUDE.

I also think there are plently people here who are richer than me but poorer than the billionaires.

SIMPLE.

There are two factions on Samui.

You and me is one of them.

The other are the people who are BILLIONAIRES.

And there are more of these people here every month.

Complain all you want about the infrastructure, the roads, the cost of noodles on the road - it only makes you look kind of stupid when there are people coming here than can afford to make a million dollar bet on the result of the Superbowl and not even remember what they did.

PERSPECTIVE dude.

R

Rob,

You've completely missed my point here. I've not complained once about anything - my viewpoint is completely opposite to Beng'g BS.

My point you have quoted above is despite the imagined problems there are still LOTS of people coming here, and you certainly do not have to be a billionaire for a £100 BA flight to not ruin your day.

I was agreeing with you DUDE.

I also think there are plently people here who are richer than me but poorer than the billionaires.

Oops. Sorry

R

I'm heading down for another Samui trip in November.. Not the perfect time weather wise I realise, but I have to work with what I have

I don't think Samui is particularly expensive for what you get. Admittedly if you don't book early and get the cheap fares on bangkok airways it is painful for the hip pocket, but that also depends on your perspective and whether you earn in baht or dollars. If you are coming for a 7-10 day holiday it is a minor extra cost. The taxis are expensive compared to most other areas of Thailand, but again, for many Europeans, Australians, Yanks, they are not expensive compared to our home countries.

There seems to be a plethora of hotels offering great deals all the time. Last time I stayed on samui (around may) the hotel was almost empty, which I was pretty chuffed about. Not sure how many people are visiting Samui compared to past years, but it is in many ways far nicer than Koh chang and Phuket. I don't feel any safer driving the roads in those places (don't feel that safe in Samui either)

I'm not sure if they will be filling all these new 5-6 star Hotels, but maybe as SBK said, those places will get booked out at the expense of the 3-4 star places. Either way, i'm sure it means lots more good value rooms for me a couple of times a yearsmile.gif .

I'm heading down for another Samui trip in November.. Not the perfect time weather wise I realise, but I have to work with what I have

I don't think Samui is particularly expensive for what you get. Admittedly if you don't book early and get the cheap fares on bangkok airways it is painful for the hip pocket, but that also depends on your perspective and whether you earn in baht or dollars. If you are coming for a 7-10 day holiday it is a minor extra cost. The taxis are expensive compared to most other areas of Thailand, but again, for many Europeans, Australians, Yanks, they are not expensive compared to our home countries.

There seems to be a plethora of hotels offering great deals all the time. Last time I stayed on samui (around may) the hotel was almost empty, which I was pretty chuffed about. Not sure how many people are visiting Samui compared to past years, but it is in many ways far nicer than Koh chang and Phuket. I don't feel any safer driving the roads in those places (don't feel that safe in Samui either)

I'm not sure if they will be filling all these new 5-6 star Hotels, but maybe as SBK said, those places will get booked out at the expense of the 3-4 star places. Either way, i'm sure it means lots more good value rooms for me a couple of times a yearsmile.gif .

Hiya.

as with all things it's about what you want. Parties and night-life then it's Chaweng. Chilling on the beach with passing folks you can chat to then it's Bo Phut, Mae Nam or even Ban Tai (which is now a German/Swiss community and there are some lovely people there with very quiet beach and super swimming.) By the time you head a bit further west to Bang Po then it's honeymooners and empty beaches, but some good seafood restaurants.

If you haven't already booked then I would suggest IBIS in Bo Phut as a base to look around from. (3-Star-plus, app 1,000-ish baht a night with LCD TV air, fridge, pool etc.) !0 mins from Chaweng and 15 mins from the rest I've mentioned. Get there, suss it out and secure a room for as long as you need.

Fisherman's Village is 5 mins away with its cute but slightly-pricey bars, restaurants, pubs and bistros. Nice to visit.

Mae Nam now has a lot of night-life and it's all right on the road with the exception of "Soi Jordan's" - head to the beach at the traffic lights. If you're Aus then look for Jomar Bar here; Jo and Mark from Melbourne(?). 5 or 6 quite nice restaurants, too, including a few right on the beach. But this little soi has Swiss, Brit, Aus, French and German bars plus the Thursday Walking Street. SUPER Italian food at Food Stop close to 7-11 here.

But bring a brolly cos there's some big rain coming over the next few weeks!

Good luck,

r