Monsoon 2011

In all my years on Samui I have experienced, as far as I can remember, at least 2 years without any sign of NE monsoon here in November and December. Almost no wind, mostly sunny, partly cloudy, almost no rain, calm seas, no too hot....all the time...perfect

and I have experienced also some years in succession with more rain in May than in November with continuously heavy Western gales throughout the whole May, very strong, almost horizontal rain....

For now, no one can say something about this years monsoon. It's not November yet. Sometimes the monsoon comes late. The bad NE-monsoon week last year was the first November week.

Edited by Birdman

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wasas, were you not here last November, December, January, and then again late March this year.

You are talking a load of crap.

yes i was here last year when we had the bad floods, i am not talking crap, look out the window today, and see if the monsoon has arrived

wasas, were you not here last November, December, January, and then again late March this year.

yes i was here last year when we had the bad floods, i am not talking crap, look out the window today, and see if the monsoon has arrived

its really hot out there today :o

End of October, i'd say right on schedule!

a big thumbs up!

However I find this and the previous year, compared to the previous two decades rather wet, haven't seen so many downpours for years!

Thats because we were hit by a cyclone in march. The whole package includes rather a lot of rain. ;)

and today its really hot outside,and the past weekend, but hey what do i know apparently i talk crap

and today its really hot outside,and the past weekend, but hey what do i know apparently i talk crap

its simply roasting out there! Can i borrow some sandbags off one of these posters d'you think? I need to create some sort of sun block. :lol:

Anyway,whats this crap you've been talking?

Went to Immigration today and it was very interesting to see all the sandbagged businesses in Nathon, as well as many had built walls around their places. Motorbike taxi said they were badly flooded in March and are getting prepared for the rainy season as they don't want to get hit again.

Monsoon is traditionally defined as a seasonal reversing wind accompanied by corresponding changes in precipitation, but is now used to describe seasonal changes in atmospheric circulation and precipitation associated with the asymmetric heating of land and sea.Usually, the term monsoon is used to refer to the rainy phase of a seasonally-changing pattern, although technically there is also a dry phase.....April/May

Couple this along with the current La Nina weather cycle and you have a real mixed bag....of weather goodies.

The chances of Samui having equal or worse weather than that of November last year, and/or that of March this year would be about 10%.

So there are 3-4 possible senario's

1. Minimal rain 30%

2. Moderate rain 60%

3. Extreme rain and flooding 10%

Good luck and Bag Up!

Around Loy Kratong, this is when you have to watch the weather.

Loi Krathong is every year on the full moon of the 12th lunar month (first full moon day of November).

Early this year, 10th of November.

Here is the full moon calendar this month 11/11.2011 , watch also for lunar eclipse next month 10/ 12 should be great

http://www.kwathabeng.co.za/travel/moon/full-moon-calendar.html?country=Thailand

Loi Krathong is every year on the full moon of the 12th lunar month (first full moon day of November).

Here is the full moon calendar this month 11/11.2011 , watch also for lunar eclipse next month 10/ 12 should be great

http://www.kwathaben...ountry=Thailand

so you're assuming we're all going to survive elenin?

http://www.kwathaben...ountry=Thailand

so you're assuming we're all going to survive elenin?

As far as I know it is now a non event biggrin.gifhttp://www.universetoday.com/89590/comet-elenin-disintegrated/

I'm just surprised people here still believe weather forecasts...

They not even seem to be able to predict yesterdays weather for Samui......

Eternal optimists we are. biggrin.gif