Have You Noticed The Supermarket Shelves?

khaan

I have been watching the supermarket shelves over the last few days because so many grocery items are made in

Bangkok. The number of items on the shelves are gradually dwindling and staff say they don't have a clue when

they will be able to replenish their stocks and with talk of the Bangkok floods lasting another 4 to 6 weeks I'm wondering how this will impact

Chiang Mai?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticed last night that the neighborhood 7/11 was out of microwavable frozen dinners and steamed buns as well as about half of the cold case meats and prepared foods. They had a sign out blaming the flooding. There are certainly other options (as WinnieTheKhwai pointed out) but it may become a bit of an inconvenience if the flooding persists.

Where are the distilleries and breweries located?

Edited by CPT

He's right ! Last night at Tesco Hang Dong there was only one kind of Mama left in the whole aisle ! My Thai informants tell me that it may not be shipping interruptions as much as it is food and assistance drives to send aid down to those that are suffering and have lost (temporarily) their homes. Tons of Thais are buying up things to donate to their fellow Thais in time of need.

The irony of it all is that the goods are bundled and shipped here from BKK, only to be bought and shipped back there for distribution to those who need it.

While I was a bit sarcastic earlier, that doesn't mean there isn't a problem: when it comes to food (most foods anyway, espsecially fresh), it's produced up-country and then has to be transported TO Bangkok, which is more difficult now. It's the provinces that feed Bangkok, not the other way around. With the exception of some highly processed foods, instant foods, and imported foods such as the above mentioned Macaroni & cheese. ;)

Also, if I had to make a choice to be stuck with fresh, local fruit, vegetables and meats but no dried instant noodle, vs the other way around, then I think I know my choice. :rolleyes:

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think we're just starting to see the shortages of all sorts of things that are warehoused and distributed out of the Bangkok region.

We couldn't find our favorite brand of Foremost yogurt for 4 or 5 days this week. Finally found some at a Tesco Lotus express and cleaned them out of our favorite flavor. Yogurt keeps a while. That sort of buying behavior is understandable, but it does create shortages for others.

An acquaintance spilled coffee on his laptop. Mr. Goodspeed repair shop at Pantip confirmed that only the keyboard was damaged and after checking around for several days, have said it will be over a month until they can get a replacement keyboard. At least there's the option of using a cheap external keyboard until the replacement arrives.

I'm going to visit the pharmacy tomorrow and get 6-8 week supply of our prescription drugs.

It might be wise to think about things you can't do without and plan ahead for shortages.

(Something tells me there will be adequate supplies of beer, whiskey, wine, but you may not be able to find your favorite brand.)

I think we're just starting to see the shortages of all sorts of things that are warehoused and distributed out of the Bangkok region.

Good point. This is going to be a longer crisis than many especially in BKK are imagining.

I'm hearing stories about gasoline shortages for ChiangMai as well due to trucking delays.?.?.

Shortages are here, will get worse, and will last quite some time.

While it's true that local food products aren't affected by the Bangkok "hub of manufacture and distribution," it's also true that farmers all over Lannaland were hit hard by earlier flooding.

Most people now consume far more processed food and drink than otherwise, and restaurants will be more affected than home kitchens.

And that Japanese restaurant with the number 8 logo in Big C Hangdong Road is closed due to lack of stores. Perhaps the airport plaza one is closed as well.

Was just there, and yes it is.

The only restaurant that was closed, btw.

And Tops seems to be all stocked up, processed foods and all. I got the last of the San Miguel Light though, hehe.

it's also true that farmers all over Lannaland were hit hard by earlier flooding.

I wasn't aware of any widespread crop damage in this region - any particular crop?

We do seem to be relatively self sufficient up north but I don't know how the supply chains work for things like fuel and medicine. Does anyone know the current state of rail and highway transport between here and there?

Stefano of restaurant fame told me that he is having no problem with keeping his place supplied and that the suppliers have an alternate route to avoid the flood waters. Hopefully, things won't get too bad.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I've noticed a significant lack of water. Have recently been buying 6 packs of 1.5 litre bottles for 45 Baht, price up to 60 Baht, then 70 Baht, then it all disappeared. Can only buy individual bottles now. Costing me an extra 50-100B/week.

Never mind.

Just back from Makro HD, and I did notice shortage on say, 15% of their items, but then they were unloading from fresh palettes too. Of the 10 or so things I wanted to buy, only one wasn't there. Other than that, was happy to see it stocked n bought myself a big box of Mama n a case of canned fish as I like to keep it in stock anyway. *It sure was a good thing I'd done it a couple weeks ago too, when the floods had me socked in for a couple days !

Just back from Makro HD, and I did notice shortage on say, 15% of their items, but then they were unloading from fresh palettes too.

Yes.. I was there yesterday ( and also Rim Ping) and I can't say that I noticed any shortages of anything. Specifically checked for Sugar, which they had plenty off.

The one item where I noticed unavailability of some packaging sizes was diapers. But then Makro still had them on sale for cheaper than I normally buy.

Of the 10 or so things I wanted to buy, only one wasn't there. Other than that, was happy to see it stocked n bought myself a big box of Mama n a case of canned fish as I like to keep it in stock anyway. *It sure was a good thing I'd done it a couple weeks ago too, when the floods had me socked in for a couple days !

A friend called my wife saying the Mama instant noodle and canned fish was running low at some supermarkets, and she was like '<deleted>; I don't think you eat that stuff anyway?' I mean when the fresh salmon and tuna is nice and affordable at Makro, then I'm not inclined to worry about instant noodle and canned fish.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Just back from Makro HD, and I did notice shortage on say, 15% of their items, but then they were unloading from fresh palettes too.

Yes.. I was there yesterday ( and also Rim Ping) and I can't say that I noticed any shortages of anything. Specifically checked for Sugar, which they had plenty off.

The one item where I noticed unavailability of some packaging sizes was diapers. But then Makro still had them on sale for cheaper than I normally buy.

Of the 10 or so things I wanted to buy, only one wasn't there. Other than that, was happy to see it stocked n bought myself a big box of Mama n a case of canned fish as I like to keep it in stock anyway. *It sure was a good thing I'd done it a couple weeks ago too, when the floods had me socked in for a couple days !

A friend called my wife saying the Mama instant noodle and canned fish was running low at some supermarkets, and she was like '<deleted>; I don't think you eat that stuff anyway?' I mean when the fresh salmon and tuna is nice and affordable at Makro, then I'm not inclined to worry about instant noodle and canned fish.

Yes. WTK... perhaps you are right, But only in terms of Farangs. Mama Noodles are a favoured and consistent diet suppmlementary of many Khon Thai, including my family and many of our friends. Actually, I also have become addicted. Sometimes it is necessary to think 'outside of the box'. For sure, I agree that fresh fish and meat are more important but... that s the way of the world.