Thai Govt Worried About Locals Destroying Flood Barriers

webfact

<snip>

2) There are other countries in the world which deal with life at or below sea level - successfully

And. .... NO .... Thailand is not different . . . The same Laws of Hydraulics apply in Thailand as in the rest of the world !

<snip>

I'd be interested to know which countries deal with life at or below sea level AND have to deal with hurricanes/cyclones and tropical depressions.

Bangladesh comes to mind. Where else?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<snip>

2) There are other countries in the world which deal with life at or below sea level - successfully

And. .... NO .... Thailand is not different . . . The same Laws of Hydraulics apply in Thailand as in the rest of the world !

<snip>

I'd be interested to know which countries deal with life at or below sea level AND have to deal with hurricanes/cyclones and tropical depressions.

The Dutch?

If she is worried about people destroying levees, she should declare a state of emergency and not worry about political concerns. They are only ones that can prevent this sort of thing and they are extremely unlikely to use the floods as a platform to mount a coup and have to deal with the flooding chaos by themselves. All along her main concerns must be the phone calls from Dubai constantly reminding her of what she has to do for him and the people play second fiddle.

The head of the Thai army has just said he does not see a need for a declaration of an SOE at the moment.

As for protecting levees, what will the critics of the government say if the army is forced to machine-gun a bunch of people, and their families scream for blood? Remember, the group who prevented to closing of the gate earlier were armed. It doesn't matter if it was one old man with a starting pistol or a dozen with AK-47s. The troops will respond in the same way under an SOE. They will have no choice. That's why the military has not been eager to be placed in charge. Using the army as a source of strong backs doesn't need an SOE.

SOE or not, if some turkey shows up with a gun and a few mates to tear down a barrier, the automatic assumption will be that he brought it with the intent to use it. Goodnight Irene, that's all she wrote!

It went something along the lines of............. "Khun King Canute" I think!!!!:jap:.

You obviously don't understand the point of the story of King Canute.

Canute is famous for the tale of the incoming tide. According to legend, Canute's courtiers (red shirts and Northern Thai's) flattered him into believing that his word was so powerful that even the tide would recede at his command. Canute is said to have taken this compliment literally and had his throne placed by the shore (he hasn't received it yet so this is slightly inaccurate) and vainly attempted to command the waves to recede until he almost drowned (the insertion of 'almost' is the most disappointing bit).

WHO doesn't understand the story???????:jap:.

Yes, I thought so, you don't understand the point.

Oh Ye of such few words explain yourself please, I'm dieing to know what the point of said story is - by the way its nice to have a lady on the TV forum to give the female view on the topics as "us men" can get so nasty with each other!!!

They would not have to worry so much about people destroying dykes and levees and what not if they declared a state of emergency.

The state of emergency is all ready upon them now all they have to do is recognize it declare it and act on it.

Not going to happen big brother dosen't want it.

This IS the crux of the matter - Thaksin losing all he has to gain through a (phantom imaginary coup) has instructed the red shirt MP's to resist the Democrats calls for a state of emergency.

Through not involving the army to maintain civilian unrest and stop things from getting out of hand he has exacerbated the problems. He is nothing but an "agent of despair" for the Thai people if the truth be known but will the people keep on listening to and blindly follow this "self claimed messiah's" every word, of course they will!!! Their blind faith in this corrupt individual beggars belief, and he will continue to hold Thailand back and create misery for the people whilst he remains involved in Thai politics and running the show for his own benefit!!!:unsure:.

Sad of course, but they only have themselves to blame and are suffering more than need be as a consequence of this foolish belief that he cares about them when he clearly doesn't!!

Another thing, does anyone think he cares about baby Yingluck who is experiencing her "personal hell"?? I for one don't, and cannot feel sorry for her as she was stupid to have listened to her brother by signing up to all of this - with his simple agenda of getting his passport back and smooth the way for his return to Thailand!!! It was doomed for the start - it is like putting someone into a grand prix car who hasn't learned to drive and expect them to compete. She hit the wall on the first corner after taking three other cars out in the process because nobody explained to her what the steering wheel was for!!!:jap:.

i just wish the whole shinawati clan would fall into a huge hole in ground and go to hell where they belong for what they have are and will inflict on people of Thailand

I gather that you are not a red supporter then!!!!:jap:.

Maybe a Beatles fan though!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

<snip>

<snip>

The Dutch?

In the Netherlands we have depressions and storms, but nothing near the tropical fun stuff of hurricanes, typhoons and the like. Our depressions can be depressive, but not tropical.

We do have the occasional run-off from major rivers passing through Holland, coming from our neighbouring countries. If it coincides with high tide, North-Westerly storm it can be a disaster indeed.

Holland is another country that has had flooding problems for centuries , a large area also lies at about sea level , i think some of it lies below sea level .

Thailand could have a team of Hydro - engineers from Holland come over and help them design and build , a systems of reservoir's and interconnecting channels etc, etc etc , not being a hydro - engineer i can't help with the design , but it seems to me they also need a large relief canal , starting just to the north of Ayutthaya and going as direct as possible to empty in the bay of Thailand .

1, most important put the chief engineer in complete control of the building , tell all financial advisers to take a run and jump.

2. have one control , operations centre , stationed by the start of the canal which will be able to monitor all the various waters of Thailands rivers and canals ,and control and adjust where needed.

If such a plan where ever to materialise i would eat my socks , realisticly , i know they will carry on with their mud and wood till the next flood comes .

by the way i am not from Holland , just thought that they probably have the best engineers and experience for the job .

If she is worried about people destroying levees, she should declare a state of emergency and not worry about political concerns. They are only ones that can prevent this sort of thing and they are extremely unlikely to use the floods as a platform to mount a coup and have to deal with the flooding chaos by themselves. All along her main concerns must be the phone calls from Dubai constantly reminding her of what she has to do for him and the people play second fiddle.

Nonsense.

Even the army do not see the need for a formal SOE.

They are already fully engaged and have been for weeks.

Your constant repetition of the Dubai bullshit is an insult to Thai people.

Are you trying to say that the man in Dubai is not regularly on the phone meddling and that he has abandoned all ambition to return to power just because he said that in a PR interview? Why is it an insult to the Thai people to mention this? Do you believe that 100% of them are happy with his involvement in Thai politics?

And you never caught them riding around in a red submarine!

Quite prophetic too:

"Let me tell you how it will be;

There's one for you, nineteen for me.

'Cause I’m the Thaksin,

Yeah, I’m the Thaksin".

<snip>

<snip>

The Dutch?

Hurricanes?

<snip>

<snip>

The Dutch?

Hurricanes?

Oops...

And you never caught them riding around in a red submarine!

Quite prophetic too:

"Let me tell you how it will be;

There's one for you, nineteen for me.

'Cause I'm the Thaksin,

Yeah, I'm the Thaksin".

Submarine or a helicopter - Yingluck doesn't know the difference apparently!!!:jap:.

nobody has heard much of Tea S these last days... Would it be that the messiah has - for a change - no magic remedy to propose to "his" people?

Done.

Chiangrai Times Newspaper

Oct 11 2011

Thaksin Shinawatra Talks about Flood Management

As usual, Mr Thaksin was full of ideas, particularly on how to solve Thailand's chronic water problems.

During the interview, he called for the government to invest in an integrated water management system to permanently solve inundation and drought problems.

Thaksin estimated such a system would cost up to 400 billion baht

Continues:

http://www.chiangrai.../news/3053.html

Wondering why he did not implement such a scheme himself when he had the opportunity, as in the position he had, he certainly couldn't ignore Thailand’s chronic water problems.

A State of Emergency would not have been required to stop people from destroying the wall.

A simple, police intervention would have done the trick to stop it.

Not having the SOE is no excuse.

One might rightly ask: where were the police when this was taking place?

They would not have to worry so much about people destroying dykes and levees and what not if they declared a state of emergency.

The state of emergency is all ready upon them now all they have to do is recognize it declare it and act on it.

Taking 500 Baht bribe money for destroying the dykes won't help. What else could the police do?

Their job. For a change.

Its a relief to see the complacent are now offering some real comments. At last most people are waking up.

I am not in bangkok but can see the problem.: an estimated 17,000,000,000 tonnes of water trying to fit into three rivers with a daily capacity of 40,000,000 and all that water is now running downhill to the sea. A quick look at google earth suggests the flood is currently at a height of upto 40 ft above sea level and inner Bangkok is about 15 ft above sea level.

I see the next problem being the army/police being told to defend the dykes/levees ( wow 5 ft high! ) and being reluctant to take hostile action. This seems to me an impossible situation. No one is going to fire a gun at distressed people.

So bangkok will fall and in the words of the original Nation article: " Outspoken Science Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi yesterday urged the government to come clean with the people of Bangkok, as all parts of the capital would be submerged for more than a month."

Good luck you people I warn you what is coming is chronicly depressing.and strikes like a black fist into the soul...........

:offtopic2: CHECK THIS OUT !

FLOODING 101 for the Amateur.

This is a huge file ,but shows some of the water that is passing and some of the different types of dikes .

About 3/4 of the way down the Page , It does take some time to Load, there are some new ideas on Flood Control Devices. :unsure: Very Interesting.

http://www.manitobap...itoba_Flood.htm

FLOOD CONTROL

It took me a few days to find this LINK , Well Worth the Time to L@@K :rolleyes:

You may even want to pass this onto those that are in-charge of the ? Dikes ?? Dykes ? ** Barriers **

Loved the way we here in Chiang Mai Sand Bagged the River Road to protect the prestigious homes along it , only to Flood out a Hospital, back in 2005.:violin:

This years flood here was an avoid and ignore scenario for me, I guess I am learning.. hehehe :sick:

Had a good look... any of you noticed the differences between the "Canadian way" and...

A State of Emergency would not have been required to stop people from destroying the wall.

A simple, police intervention would have done the trick to stop it.

Not having the SOE is no excuse.

One might rightly ask: where were the police when this was taking place?

Taking 500 Baht bribe money for destroying the dykes won't help. What else could the police do?

Their job. For a change.

I thought taking 500 Baht bribe money is the job of policemen....or am I too long in Thailand already?

An interesting part of the government's strategy is the Ministry of Public Health's initiative to distribute emergency medicine kits (presumably containing paracetamol and lipo) to flood victims with a sticker on the box advertising the names of Pheua Thai MPs, presumably to give the impressive that it came from the party or the boss himself. I have heard that food parcels with similar stickers are also being distributed.

post-23829-0-84953600-1319466867_thumb.j

Truly sick.

Edited by Arkady

before people get too uppity about "the government" they might baer in mind that the opening or not of the loud gates around Bkk etc is managed by the Bkk govenor - and of course part of a Democrat stronghold.

Since Friday the national government assumed those powers and responsibilities when they made Bangkok and environs a Disaster Area.

An interesting part of the government's strategy is the Ministry of Public Health's initiative to distribute emergency medicine kits (presumably containing paracetamol and lipo) to flood victims with a sticker on the box advertising the names of Pheua Thai MPs, presumably to give the impressive that it came from the party or the boss himself. I have heard that food parcels with similar stickers are also being distributed.

Truly sick.

Indeed, but not without precedent. Kim Jong Il used to do the same thing with sacks of rice labeled as coming from the World Food Programme. He put NK propaganda stickers over UN and USA labels.

Send in the apologists. Don't bother, they're here.

Edited by serenitynow

Truly sick.

You will love this one then...

post-62652-0-83107500-1319468114_thumb.j

OMG are they serious, even suhumvit road and silom will be flooded for a month! that's hard to beleive!

This is nothing new.

322377.jpg

SOAKED STREETS: Above, Sukhumvit Road in the 1983 flood. Below, passengers on the Vibhavadi Rangsit Highway had to lend a hand after the engine stalled, paralysing traffic.

FACTS AND FIGURES

HOW LONG WAS BANGKOK FLOODED?

1983: Four months, September to December.

1995: Two months, October to November.

NUMBER OF PEOPLE AFFECTED

1983: More than 400 dead, 55 in Bangkok, plus tens of thousands of familes displaced and more than 17,000 homes destroyed.

1995: More than 400 dead, 2.6 million people affected in Bangkok, a further 1.68 nationwide, 60,000 relocated.

DAMAGE TO INFRASTRUCTURE

1983: 400 million baht damage to farmlands and orchards in Bangkok, 200,000 houses in housing estates in Bangkok's eastern suburbs, 462 million baht in damage to roads in Bangkok.

1995: 26 major roads severely damaged, more than 70 rai of farmland was estimated to have been hit hard.

DAMAGE TO THE ECONOMY

1983: 6.6 billion baht.

1995: Tens of billions of baht.

HOW MANY LOST THEIR JOBS OVER HANDLING OF THE FLOODS?

1983: None.

1995: None.

I visited in Dec 1983 and remember there was still water hanging around in some sois up to about knee deep but all the main drags like Sukhumvit and Siom were completely clear. In 1995 I was living here and I don't remember the floods lasting for two months. I remember the worst of it staying for up to a week although it went down to manageable levels after the first two days. I managed to get to work by car every day, although the first day was touch and go and I thought the car had had it a few times. I certainly don't remember it lasting two months in 1995, although it may have gone on intermittently and stayed in some areas for two months. By then the first pumping stations had already been installed which made a big difference in clearing the food waters, compared to 1983. Unfortunately the run off we are getting from the North seems unprecedented in living memory.

Truly sick.

You will love this one then...

post-62652-0-83107500-1319468114_thumb.j

If that's not an insult to the Thai people, I don't know what is.

before people get too uppity about "the government" they might baer in mind that the opening or not of the loud gates around Bkk etc is managed by the Bkk govenor - and of course part of a Democrat stronghold.

He protected Bangkok, which the government (now they have assumed power over the Bangkok canals) is continuing to do.

So, what is your point?

He protected Bangkok, which the government (now they have assumed power over the Bangkok canals) is continuing to do.

So, what is your point?

If you're in Bkk you'll be standing in it.