Please Clarify About Non Imm O - Issued Outside Thailand.

A friend(honest Guv, I have a Marriage Visa of my own) isn't quite sure what the position is.

Said friend has been here on a Marriage Visa. He had to go home and got a Non Imm visa.(Multi-Entry) to return. I've seen the passport page and it just says 'Non Immigrant - O'. I'm thinking that this is a general Non Imm O and has nothing to do with the usual Marriage or Retirement - He tells me that he wasn't asked for any financial proof.

In terms of 3 month reporting, does he have to do a Border run or a 90 Day Report?

There is no marriage visa as such, only a non-O visa, which can be issued based on marriage to a Thai. A visa is a permission to travel to Thailand, nothing more. You than ask for permission to enter and stay, and will be denied or get a permission to stay and can get extensions of stay on your permission to stay, based on being marreid to a Thai antional for instance.

I suspect you have an extension of stay yourself now, not a valid visa. The title suggests that your friend enters on a Non-O, like you, but doesn't has an extension of stay yet. But it is a bit unclear what he exactly has.

If he can scan the visa page (without personal details like passport number) that would be best. otherwise, look at his passport. There is a stamp there that says ill what date he is allowed to stay: "admitted untill **-**-***" or soemthing like that. That is the date before which he has to apply for an extension of stay. As you say he didn't need to show any financial information, I suspect there was a confusion about terminology and immigration gave him a multiple -reentry permit and not an extension of stay.

Also look at the visa itself, it will say single (or "S") or Multiple ("M"). If it indeed says nothing, than simply look at the validity date of teh visa itself. A single is valid for 3 months, a multiple for 1 year.

Obtaining an non-immigrant O visa outside of Thailand often has different requirements than in Thailand. For instance the Thai consulate in Hull UK; a 30 minute turnaround in person or next day by post (visa heaven) requires for a non-immigrant O due to marriage:

1. Copy of the marriage certificate

2.Thai ID card or passport of spouse

Similar 'easier' requirements exist for the business related visa.

That is it. This gives a multiple entry O visa for one year but the holder must leave Thailand every 90 days.Renewal in Thailand then requires the Thai 'rules' or just fly back to the UK but that only works for those who want to go anyway.

I suspect the person in question has something similar and just because he wasn't asked financial questions dos not mean the visa isn't valid.

It seems I misread the original post and he has a valid multiple non-O. In that case it is as Lopbui already stated, he does a border run every 90 days or gets an extension of stay. Not ntil he gets an extension of stay does he need to make 90 day reports, the first one 90 days after his extension of stay.

:rolleyes:

I have a non o multiple entry visa.

What exactly does it say on that visa.

Mine, for example, has the word Multiple written where the number of entries is specified.

Mine was issued on 17 October 2010 and expired on 16 October 2011.

The exact type of visa, and the issue date and expiration date is the vital information

In my specific case that Multiple written on it means basically unlimited exits and re-entries as long as the visa was valid...until 16 October 2011 according to my expiration date.

If triple entry or such was written there it would be reflected in the expiration date.

Anyhow each exit and re-entry on such a Multiple non o visa gets you 90 days. You can do a border run...go to the nearest Thai border, cross into that country, and then turn around and re-enter Thailand.

When you enter you will get a stamp for another 90 days stay. As long as your visa is still valid, not yet expired, you can do this every 90 days.

In my particular case my visa actually expired 16 October 2011. If I had wanted to I could have done another border run on 15 October 2011 and recieved another 90 day stamp until sometime in January 2012.

But I didn't do that. Instead I filed my paperwork for a retirement extension (retirement visa) and I am now legally in Thailand until 27 December 2011...my first 90 day reporting date. With that retirement visa as long as I keep up my 90 day reporting properly...my original Multiple entry non o visa is not relevant any longer. I'm here on my retirement extension/visa legally as long as I keep up my 90 day reporting schedule.

And the very inportant thing for your friend is exactly what type of visa, number of entries allowed, and the expiration date of that visa.

If it was a triple entry visa and he's used three entries...it's used up.

If he is past that expiration date now...it's used up.

Otherwise it may still be valid.

If he is of retirement age (50 years), is legally married to a Thai, and can meet the financial or monthly income requirements he should go...quick like a bunny rabbit...and find out from immgration if he qualifies or not.

If he does qualify and can get the documents in time before his visa expires; he may be able to get a retirement extension/visa like I did here in Thailand.

If he can do that it will save him a lot of money. And he will not have to return to his home country (unless he want's to, of course).

:whistling:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Just one more point about non o visas.

Yes, you have to leave Thailand and cross a border to anohter country, getting stamped out of Thailand.

You may also need a visa for that other country also.

But once you're there you simply turn around and re-enter Thaialnd.

When you enter again you're stamped for another 90 days in Thailand.

No need to stay in that country.

Here in Bangkok there are visa run services that offer the all included service on a day trip...about 12 hours from the time you depart Bangkok early in the morning until you return to Bangkok via the same mihi-van that afternoon.

Only effort on you're part is to walk acroos the bridge into Cambodia and return by same bridge to Thailand.

And of course presenting your passport for stamping and Cambodian visa (included in cost).

Done it 4 times myself since last year.

I'm here on my retirement extension/visa legally as long as I keep up my 90 day reporting schedule.

Don't forget you have to re-apply and meet the financial requirements for a new extension every year.

I really appreciate all the help you've all given.

I've been and seen my friend's passport and he has the 'Admitted until' stamp dated as 12 Jan 2012. He's now planning to a border run but will be looking to get an extension based on retirement.

Thanks again for all your help.

I really appreciate all the help you've all given.

I've been and seen my friend's passport and he has the 'Admitted until' stamp dated as 12 Jan 2012. He's now planning to a border run but will be looking to get an extension based on retirement.

Thanks again for all your help.

It may be possible for him to get a 12-month extension of that visa due to retirement during the last month of validity of that visa. Don't know for sure, since it depends on the local office. Definitely worth asking, especially since he's planning on doing it anyway. It would save the cost of a border run. Here in CM, you can extend a 90-day O visa with a 12-month retirement extension during the final month that the original O visa is valid. Be sure to check out the Chiang Mai forum pinned topics to learn about the on-line appointment system that CM immigration has set up for visa extensions. It works like a charm!

"But I didn't do that. Instead I filed my paperwork for a retirement extension (retirement visa) and I am now legally in Thailand until 27 December 2011...my first 90 day reporting date."

An extension of a O for retirement is for 1 year, not 90 days. It is not a retirement visa.

You are probably looking at the 90 day reporting slip they staple in your passport.

Look at the stamps in the passport. You should find one for the extension that says something like "...extension of stay permitted up to...(Date). Probably sometime in Sept 2012 if I'm reading your posts right.

"With that retirement visa as long as I keep up my 90 day reporting properly...my original Multiple entry non o visa is not relevant any longer. I'm here on my retirement extension/visa legally as long as I keep up my 90 day reporting schedule."

It is not a retirement visa. It is an extension of stay based on retirement.

Your permitted to stay date is based on the extension, and has nothing to do with the 90 day reporting date(s).

If you miss a 90 day report, you can be fined, cut are still here legally on the extension.

As noted above, extensions for retirement, or marriage for that matter, are good for one year and then need to be renewed.

If I didn't understand what you think you understand, my bad.

Terry