Thailand To Be `melting Pot' Of Know-how

udon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annan unveils plans for wind-up laptops

November 17, 2005 11:24

The United Nations Secretary General, Kofi Annan, has announced plans for making cheap laptop computers available to children in the world's developing nations.

A prototype costing about $100 can be recharged by turning a handle.

Brazil, Thailand, Egypt and Nigeria are among the countries due to receive the first wave of laptops early next year.

Mr Annan and leading US IT expert Nicholas Negroponte unveiled the wind-up computer at a UN World Summit on the Information Society in the Tunisian capital of Tunis.

This page : http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1117/laptop

Thailand: The hub of Asia

:D:o

Singapore has a few problems with its ex pat population, that is they like to exercise the democratic rights to freedom of speach,for which the Singapore government drags them into court. This weeks court order gagging Sondhi and other highlights such as eating the zoo inhabitants,ban on alcohol after midnight, wives prostrating themselves before their husbands, endless corruption scandals, and southern insurgency will not attract the type of expertise they require.

too parochial and pigheaded to learn from somebody else.

and just plain dumb .

they dont even have basic geography lessons at school for a start .outside of LOS does not exist !

Unesco faults Thai schooling

Achara Ashayagachat

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/19Nov2005_news64.php

How many times have you been into a shop and the sales assistant has to use a calculator to work out your change? I'm certainly no brain of Britain but I have the change worked out in my head before they've even picked the calculator up, it's a sad reflection on the Thai education system.

(Quote) 2. Try showing a Thai an easier or better way of doing something. They just laugh at you and do it their own way. There are not many certainties here but one is, if their is a hard way of doing something , the Thais will find it.

(Quote) they dont even have basic geography lessons at school for a start .outside of LOS does not exist !

Oh this is so true.

I was trying to learn/explain/inform one of my team here in Thailand how he could make his job more easy and as a result he could focus on his main objectives.

He said: Thai people are different you know.

I ask: How do you know.

He answer: Because we are.

I ask: Have you ever been outside of Thailand?

He answer: No

I ask: So how do you know Thai people are different?

He answer: Because we are.

How can I ever work with somebody like that, my god.

KR,

Alex

Thais are very proud. Seeing all these farangs desperate to move here probably boost their ego and their beliefs that they are different. They fail to understand that farangs are just a bunch of horny perverts and cheap bastards looking for cheap sex and cheap beer.

Thais are very proud. Seeing all these farangs desperate to move here probably boost their ego and their beliefs that they are different. They fail to understand that farangs are just a bunch of horny perverts and cheap bastards looking for cheap sex and cheap beer.

Actually, Butterfly (that's what they call me here in Thailand, too), sex was much cheaper in rural Mexico and Nicaragua than it is in Thailand, and not a whole lot more difficult to get. I don't drink beer, but for all you and I know, I might be a horny pervert. And boosting my ego, oh yeah - I went from being the most feared type of civil servant in my home country, to just another backpacker/teacher/sexpat in Thailand. Actually, my ego was fine without being boosted by rental unit (sex workers) who cost five times as much as the best ones in Mexico.

This country's hubs and meltings never cease to amaze me. The news clippings are ten times funnier than the cartoons. Thais are far too smart to believe the lies told every day by their politicians.

This gag order on Sondhi, however, should chill any foreign investment that wasn't already scared away. Two steps away from dictatorship.

Actually, Butterfly (that's what they call me here in Thailand, too), sex was much cheaper in rural Mexico and Nicaragua than it is in Thailand, and not a whole lot more difficult to get. I don't drink beer, but for all you and I know, I might be a horny pervert. And boosting my ego, oh yeah - I went from being the most feared type of civil servant in my home country, to just another backpacker/teacher/sexpat in Thailand. I'd say more about that, but we try to avoid talking too much about human rental units on thaivisa.com forum.

This country's hubs and meltings never cease to amaze me. The news clippings are ten times funnier than the cartoons. Thais are far too smart to believe the lies told every day by their politicians.

This gag order on Sondhi, however, should chill any foreign investment that wasn't already scared away. Two steps away from dictatorship.

Never any word about the brothels for Thai only where they can screw 12 year old kids that are sold to pimps promising the family they have a good job for them working in a hotel or other BS story.

Why always tell that it is the foreigners coming to Thailand looking for cheap sex huh?

Double standards.

KR,

Alex

You all missed one important item.

Thaksin said that there was plenty of credit and liquidity, and then went on about foreign investment.

Many state mega-projects were being held back despite abundant liquidity and credit.

The recruitment of foreign experts and investors would bring in both money

We'll tap the brains of these people to create our wealth,'' Mr Thaksin said. ``I'll invite the whole world to advise us on how Thailand can take a leap forward in its development. They can come in and invest.

Sorry about the previous post, but I just had a brainstorm -- using poultry as the trade commodity, the country could be the Birds For Brains Hub!

Thaksin tried to trade poultry for jets in Sweden during the bird flu epidemic. The PM of Sweden declined.

It has always amused me that Thailand throws the doors open for people with a load of money but is a closed shop to people with skills and education.

In Lawrence of Arabia, Lawrene told one of the saudi Princes that the British government would provide weapons, finance and training to help them defeat the Turks. The Saudi price responded witht he equivalent, "To hel_l with your training, just give us the weapons." My eight years in Saudi showed me that the mentality has not changed.

sound like the clockwork radio they developed for Africa, what ever happened to that?

Nothing works like clockwork in Thailand. :o

Not even clocks?

This country's hubs and meltings never cease to amaze me.  The news clippings are ten times funnier than the cartoons.

I'd like to nominate this for Quote of the Week.

Thais are far too smart to believe the lies told every day by their politicians.
Much as I want to believe this, after having spent the last few years with some of the best students in one of Thailand's finest schools, um, err, no.
This gag order on Sondhi, however, should chill any foreign investment that wasn't already scared away.  Two steps away from dictatorship.

I think the new wave of Chinese investors probably like what they are seeing.

I believe the forum rules prohibit posting my remaining thoughts.

But I can say -

What a shame.

jb

This country's hubs and meltings never cease to amaze me.  The news clippings are ten times funnier than the cartoons.  Thais are far too smart to believe the lies told every day by their politicians.

This gag order on Sondhi, however, should chill any foreign investment that wasn't already scared away.  Two steps away from dictatorship.

Right. Wat is amazing too is the way Thais think that "farangs" are stupid.

Probably because of the huge ego of the Thais...

Look at the economic outlook, look at the stock market (a pure joke)...

One day the government say that there is no financing problem with the "mega projects"... And another day they try to attract foreign investment, and now "brains" !

If they were smart they would take take real action to ease the foreign sentiment, to facilitate investment. Actually, it's not.

But "smart" and "real action" don't exist in the thai official vocabulary.

The truth is : nobody is in charge anymore. Another 1997 crisis, but on a broader scale, is ahead of us. In a sense maybe they will learn another lesson. But i doubt it.

How many times have you been into a shop and the sales assistant has to use a calculator to work out your change?  I'm certainly no brain of Britain but I have the change worked out in my head before they've even picked the calculator up, it's a sad reflection on the Thai education system.

Not just in Thailand. I own a shop in the US where we hire entry level workers fresh out of High School and I have to teach each new hire how to give back change. I do not teach, nor do I allow, the use of the cash register function that automatically determines the change. The Thai education system is in sadder shape than the education system in the US, but both are in sad shape.

Never any word about the brothels for Thai only where they can screw 12 year old kids that are sold to pimps promising the family they have a good job for them working in a hotel or other BS story.

Why always tell that it is the foreigners coming to Thailand looking for cheap sex huh?

Double standards.

KR,

Alex

Because said double standard is a most excellent smoke screen to detract attention away from the 90% of the sex workers who cater to the local clientele and even a more fortuitous smoke screen for the local elites who dominate the under age sex scene. It is a great ploy to focus the spotlight on the foreigners who are foolish enough to carouse in the open in their outdoor beer bars staffed with sex workers and walk around in public with their short time concubines. The Thais, like the Japanese do their business behind the walls and closed doors and would never be seen in public with their rented sex toys. The exception is the departure area at Dom Muang where once in awhile you see a drop dead gorgeous mia noi with her middle aged sugar daddy about to head out of town together.