3Bb 9Mbit

grisbil3n

I have seen a few threads like this but I just want to have some feedback from other 3bb 9/1 users in Phuket. Have had this service for a couple of days and my speed seldom exceeds 250 kb/s except for last night a couple of hours when it was 800+ (like it should be). Im downloading from many thousands of seeders so it is something with the connection not the torrents themselfs. Surfing the web is no problem, quite fast which shouldnt be a suprise with 9/1 but this is still Thailand.

It doesn't sound like your issue is with 3BB specifically. The number of seeders doesn't necessarily matter when downloading torrents, its the number of seeders vs leechers vs availability vs etc etc

This link may make it easier to understand although it is still pretty basic....

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Good_Torrents

Ok, but I have been downloading torrents for 10 years and whenever I have been downloading torrents with many many seeders my bandwidth has been nearly maxed out. I dont really know anything about torrents except you are downloading the file(s) from multiple sources yes? So the more the better to make it very simple?

3bb servers are based in Nonthaburi and I'm sure the floods are affecting speeds due to heavy use by bangkokians for info.

Ah ok, I hope thats the case.

It doesn't sound like your issue is with 3BB specifically. The number of seeders doesn't necessarily matter when downloading torrents, its the number of seeders vs leechers vs availability vs etc etc

This link may make it easier to understand although it is still pretty basic....

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Good_Torrents

I read through the link, it was very understandable. But still, there are 240 torrents on my list with various seed/peer ratio.

This is the first isp I've had that hasnt performed really well with torrents.

But im going to stop complaining now and just wait for it to get better. When reading on forums it seems people are having massive problems with isp's in Thailand. : )

Thank you both for your help.

Edited by grisbil3n

No unusual issues in Kamala Phuket - have had 3BB for a year.

Possibly you mean 250 KB/sec rather than kb/sec - kilobytes (KB) are 8 times as big as kilobits (kb).

Most ISPs worldwide give the figures in kb/sec to make their internet connections sound like they are faster than they really are - clever (deceptive) marketing.

A lot of Bittorrent clients tell you the speed in KB/sec. Sorry if this is obvious to you, I used to be "in the IT business" and many of my clients were caught out by this. I haven't noticed any evidence of 3BB throttling here - they seem to be fine with 50-100 Gigs of downloads a month on the same plan as you (9/1).

Not every torrent is equal, despite the seeds/peers ratio - try starting a download of "Ubuntu" on a torrent and see what kinds of speeds you get.

i think there is some daily/weekly limit for the full speed, dont know for sure though. Most of the time I get the full speed (1MB/s) for the first couple of gigabytes for the day. after that the speed is steady 175KB/s for a while...

i got 3BB 9mbit too

• 2 weeks later...

i think there is some daily/weekly limit for the full speed, dont know for sure though. Most of the time I get the full speed (1MB/s) for the first couple of gigabytes for the day. after that the speed is steady 175KB/s for a while...

i got 3BB 9mbit too

Its exactly the same for me I have realized now. This is pretty shitty to say the least, and I guess theres is no use in calling and complaining.

I had the cheapo 6mbit 3bb before and it was unbearably slow and latency outside thailand made it impossible to use my sip-account. Upgraded to 3bb premium which is 5mbit and torrents always max out and latency to europe is stable at 140ms with no loss. Been using premium close to a year now and I'm pretty happy. Could use a few more mbit/s.

i got 3BB 9mbit too

Its exactly the same for me I have realized now. This is pretty shitty to say the least, and I guess theres is no use in calling and complaining.

It's probably the 3BB monitoring program kicking in. I have an article on throttling in last week's Phuket Gazette.

If you haven't yet written to me and started running the MIT Glasnost test routines, drop me a line (address is at the end of the Gazette article). I'm trying to come up with a definitive list of which ISPs throttle torrents, and the Glasnost test will tell you definitively when and how and how much.

It's probably the 3BB monitoring program kicking in. I have an article on throttling in last week's Phuket Gazette.

If you haven't yet written to me and started running the MIT Glasnost test routines, drop me a line (address is at the end of the Gazette article). I'm trying to come up with a definitive list of which ISPs throttle torrents, and the Glasnost test will tell you definitively when and how and how much.

thanks, i will send this to you later

According to the test there was only throttling on one port if I understood it right. I was looking at some forums while the test was being done so that might have made it inaccurate I dont know. Will try again and keep my hands of the computer.