Questions About Flooding, Why Not Let The Water Go To The Sea From The Beginning ?

frenchfarangjomtien

Questions About Flooding, why not let the water go to the sea from the beginning ?

Question about Drinking water, are they really stupid, use machines !

Hi,

I have some stupid questions, so I am sure you can reply :-)

I just wonder why the government has decided to open now the water gates to let the water go to the sea when the level was already high and why this water wasn't released before ? Of course if you open when it's already high it will flood, but if you let it go as normal you won't have 2 meters water in the street ! Stupid decision from the beginning ?

Another question is about drinking water, as Ozone drinking water machines are everywhere, why people need to stock water ?! Just refill at the machine !!!

Sorry for my retarded questions but I really wonder !

Thanks a lot.

The machines are not that good. as for letting the water go, Bangkok is about a meter above sea level. it has to be done in stages. it would flood the more affluent area causing millions of Bart damage to buildings in Bangkok ,its the lesser evil of the two.

Not convinced !

I drink Ozone machine water since years and its very good, only some people who fear their own shadow prefer to pay for expensive useless bottles...

And about the water, if you let it go progressively from the beginning, what is the problem ?

The problem is that the water does not arrive in an orderly fashion and it doesn't form a queue to be allowed into the sea. The water is quite ignorant, it arrives in a torrent and quite rudely demands access to the sea now!!! and if you don't let me go now!!! I will damage your homes!! wreck your cars!! Pour sewage into your living rooms and release crocodiles into your streets!!!

In a Land of Politeness the flood water really is quite rude. Shocking behaviour if you ask me. :annoyed:

Not convinced !

I drink Ozone machine water since years and its very good, only some people who fear their own shadow prefer to pay for expensive useless bottles...

And about the water, if you let it go progressively from the beginning, what is the problem ?

Those machines are not cleaned and are dirty. The big white bottles and the delivered blue bottles are fine though. I actually like them more than the average bottled water, but less than the imported Italian from volcano source

just dont use those cheap machine on street corners.. NEVER CLEANED.

just dont use those cheap machine on street corners.. NEVER CLEANED.

Normally no problem in using them as long as you're sure that it is used regularly and not once per day.

In this time, the machines aren't cleaned, the filters are absolutely saturated and you can wait for problems to happen.

Not convinced !

The problem is that greedy developers and their pet politicians have been filling in drainage canals for years in order to expand the concrete jungle. Their profit is much more important to them than allowing the water to drain or be pumped out. Flooding the higher ground outside of Bangkok is their way of dealing with the floods. The fat cats don't care if the peasants live miserably in stagnant water that can't drain away because it is blocked by massive flood gates.

Questions About Flooding, why not let the water go to the sea from the beginning ?

I would think the sea and oceans having tides has something to do with it. :whistling:

Question about Drinking water, are they really stupid, use machines !

When we have water it goes through a filter at home for drinking so I suppose you could get everyone to piss into that. :D

Edited by Kwasaki

Not convinced !

The problem is that greedy developers and their pet politicians have been filling in drainage canals for years in order to expand the concrete jungle. Their profit is much more important to them than allowing the water to drain or be pumped out. Flooding the higher ground outside of Bangkok is their way of dealing with the floods. The fat cats don't care if the peasants live miserably in stagnant water that can't drain away because it is blocked by massive flood gates.

Thank you so much, you are right, good explanation !

And i also have found a good video in Thai with subtitles to explain the whole flooding !

Please reward people doing this perfect video by subscribing and follow them:

Thank you.

ps: about drinking water from the machines, if you live in a condo where people care the machine is clean an water also. Only Thai believe that bottled drinking water from a famous beer brand is better when it is exactly the same thing (but more expensive...) !!! So i am right, it is stupid to buy bottles of drinking water when you can get bottles of MINERAL WATER for the same price or cheaper...

Not convinced !

And i also have found a good video in Thai with subtitles to explain the whole flooding !

Thank you.

ps: about drinking water from the machines, if you live in a condo where people care the machine is clean an water also. Only Thai believe that bottled drinking water from a famous beer brand is better when it is exactly the same thing (but more expensive...) !!! So i am right, it is stupid to buy bottles of drinking water when you can get bottles of MINERAL WATER for the same price or cheaper...

Whatever you say buddy. Just another JAFFA, methinks

Not convinced !

Thank you.

I used those watermachines for about 6 months untill I found GREEN ALGUES growing in my bottle,never again since.

Don't know what you mean with cheap mineral water as the water from the machines is in fact de-mineralised.I now buy the bottles of mineral water from makro house brand at I think 49 baht for 6 x 1,5 liters.

I used those watermachines for about 6 months untill I found GREEN ALGUES growing in my bottle,never again since.

Algae will grow in pure water if left to stand .. especially in hot weather .. like in a water bottle on the back terrace. Doesn't mean that the water from the machine was "dirty" or contaminated. Those machines usually don't have a chlorinater, but rely on membrane type ultrafiltration and ozone purification. The life/effectiveness of ozone is much shorter than chlorine.

I used to buy my drinking water in those large translucent white plastic bottles. One day after removing the seal and taking off the cap, I thought I saw something strange. After looking carefully, I saw mosquito larvae swimming inside the bottle. No more of those for me.

The reverse osmosis water machines force filter the water through a special membrane. They do waste water because to make them self cleaning, a lot of water flows over and not through the membrane. The water flowing past removes impurities from the surface of the membrane. In time the membrane does clog and the through flow decreases to the point that the membrane has to be replaced.

I get a six liter clear plastic bottle filled for 5 baht. I do look at the filled bottle and have never seen anything floating or suspended in the water. I trust these machine much more than the water that was delivered in the big bottles.

It's not the actual water, its the containers !

We need 3 L per person per day, that 21 L per week. No one can predict the power (drinking water machines need electricity) cut and how long it will last for.

Now the Gvnt says the crisis might last 6 weeks, that is a lot of bottles to find !

Recycle bottles are sold 10b for empty 1.5L last week in my condo and prices are rising.

Maids have found a good way to get quick cash I guess !

Tiny 800ml water gourds used to be 8b now 35.

Also for shower/toilet water, plastic buckets price are soaring : up to 1000 for the big ones ..

We need 3 L per person per day, that 21 L per week. No one can predict the power (drinking water machines need electricity) cut and how long it will last for.

Now the Gvnt says the crisis might last 6 weeks, that is a lot of bottles to find !

Recycle bottles are sold 10b for empty 1.5L last week in my condo and prices are rising.

Also for shower/toilet water, plastic buckets price are soaring : up to 1000 for the big ones ..

This 3L per person per day is a highly subjective thing. Especially for foreigners who can afford it, if you eat out and get something to drink, a lot of people can go on a lot less. To give my personal experience, I've been here for a month, and when we arrived the hotel gave us a 5L bottle of water. We just finished it. Other than that, when we go out we buy water only once in a while, and often when eating out we drink a soft drink or juice or something else. Maybe not the healthiest habit, I'll grant you that, but bearing in mind the circumstances, I think the important thing to point out is that you're unlikely to die of thirst even if you can't secure 3L of water a day. I'm not preaching being irresponsible here, I did get some water just in case (though probably not nearly as much as others), but don't go by some standard measurement. Hopefully grownups know themselves well enough by now to gauge how much is sufficient for them.

This 3L per person per day is a highly subjective thing. Especially for foreigners who can afford it, if you eat out and get something to drink, a lot of people can go on a lot less. To give my personal experience, I've been here for a month, and when we arrived the hotel gave us a 5L bottle of water. We just finished it. Other than that, when we go out we buy water only once in a while, and often when eating out we drink a soft drink or juice or something else. Maybe not the healthiest habit, I'll grant you that, but bearing in mind the circumstances, I think the important thing to point out is that you're unlikely to die of thirst even if you can't secure 3L of water a day. I'm not preaching being irresponsible here, I did get some water just in case (though probably not nearly as much as others), but don't go by some standard measurement. Hopefully grownups know themselves well enough by now to gauge how much is sufficient for them.

Most people would drink between 1.5 and 2 litres of FLUID a day, But the problem that some areas are facing is the total LACK of fluid. be that water or soft drinks or god forbid BEER. Then you have got problemsrolleyes.gif

Many people under estimate the actual fluid that you have on a daily basis. But really 1 litre per person per day would be the minimum over a longish period of time. And more if doing strenuous labour.

even places 50-100km or more outside BKK have run out of the famous water brands.

Luckily i'm 20km's away from downtown bkk . And i live next to a water factory. But still decided to stock up on 100 litres just in case.

It is one thing that will not go to waste.

Whoa buddy! The bottled water is usually created by boiling the water and then condensing it--that leaves almost all impurities behind--they call this refraction. The machines use an osmotic filter, meaning it cleans out dirt and germs but chemicals pass through the membrane.

Not convinced !

It's the recommended amount by the US embassy for flood prep

The quick way for insurance is to fill your 40 gallon water tub (I hope you have one) and add 1/4 cup UNSCENTED bleach to it. This decontaminates the water from microbes, but does nothing to chemical contaminants. Given the choice of chemicals or dehydration, I say Bring on the pesticides. Of course, still boil it, it makes the chlorine waft off and kills anything not dead by the chlorine, but at least you stay alive. Scented chlorine still does the trick, but if you cook rice with it, it smells like fake flowers. Also, short term exposure to many chemicals is not nearly important as staying hydrated...roll your dice where you are comfortable gambling, and if all else fails drink Perrier...the French-sounding water from America.

the water has been missmanaged for about 3 months now and this is why the current problem exists starting at the dams up north back in Aug sept, it might be prudent of the authorities to revise the steps taken to get us where we are and find out who made all the bad decissions, I suspect that will never happen and the public will never find out, there may be more going on here from a political point of view, I'd even go as far as saying it may have been deliberate, who knows, I know of one instance where it seems a government official refused to open dams in the north some months ago when advised to do so.

It's the recommended amount by the US embassy for flood prep

Sure, but I know myself a little better than the US Embassy does, so I'll decide my water requirements based on that. I'd say especially for people with kids, yeah, don't play around and make sure you have ample supplies. If you're an adult only responsible for yourself, there are some calls you can make that aren't always in accordance to what everybody is recommending.

Most people would drink between 1.5 and 2 litres of FLUID a day, But the problem that some areas are facing is the total LACK of fluid. be that water or soft drinks or god forbid BEER. Then you have got problemsrolleyes.gif

Many people under estimate the actual fluid that you have on a daily basis. But really 1 litre per person per day would be the minimum over a longish period of time. And more if doing strenuous labour.

even places 50-100km or more outside BKK have run out of the famous water brands.

Luckily i'm 20km's away from downtown bkk . And i live next to a water factory. But still decided to stock up on 100 litres just in case.

It is one thing that will not go to waste.

Let's remember that absence of beer is actually a good thing, since beer and most other alcohols actually have a dehydrating effect. Soda and juice aren't as good as water, but at least they'll help! Why, oh why, can't beer also hydrate? lol

Whoa buddy! The bottled water is usually created by boiling the water and then condensing it--that leaves almost all impurities behind--they call this refraction. The machines use an osmotic filter, meaning it cleans out dirt and germs but chemicals pass through the membrane.

Not convinced !

Maybe you are the "Buddy" who needs to "Whoa" .. then perhaps study a bit.

".. boiling the water and then condensing it--that leaves almost all impurities behind--they call this refraction."

That is called distillation. Refraction is the bending of light rays when passing from one media to a more/less dense media.

And further to the point, I would argue that VERY little drinking water is distilled. It's too expensive a process.

If you meant to write "fractionation" .. that would have been another error.

Fractionation is a separation process in which a certain quantity of a mixture (solid, liquid, solute, suspension or isotope) is divided up in a number of smaller quantities (fractions) in which the composition changes according to a gradient. Fractions are collected based on differences in a specific property of the individual components. A common trait in fractionations is the need to find an optimum between the amount of fractions collected and the desired purity in each fraction. Fractionation makes it possible to isolate more than two components in a mixture in a single run. This property sets it apart from other separation techniques. Wikipedia

Fractionation is commonly used in refining processes.

And finally;

In talking about "osmotic" you were referring to "Osmosis", that's another D-. While reverse osmosis is often used for separation of solids, most pathogens and some chemical elements and compounds, those water machines generally use ozone generators and "ultrafiltration" .. a membrane process, but not reverse osmosis.

Let's remember that absence of beer is actually a good thing, since beer and most other alcohols actually have a dehydrating effect.

A politically correct myth. Beer in reasonable quantities hydrates better than water.

Today there is more cheering news from a different set of scientists.

They have come up with the perfect excuse for heading to the pub after a game of football or rugby.

Their research has shown that a glass of beer is far better at rehydrating the body after exercise than water.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-491236/A-pint-beer-better-workout-water-say-scientists.html#ixzz1c3IH9ikM

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-491236/A-pint-beer-better-workout-water-say-scientists.html#ixzz1c3HVV5Cp

Edited by Ulysses G.

Not convinced !

My Thai friends tell me that the water was held in the reservoirs to facilitate rice planting a few months ago. If it had been released then a lot of rice farms would have been flooded. Instead they took a chance that the rainy season would not be bad. The chance didn't work out. So it is actually the farmers fault.

I really don't know but I see those as the two points of view. Maybe someone knows the real answer.

Let's remember that absence of beer is actually a good thing, since beer and most other alcohols actually have a dehydrating effect.

A politically correct myth. Beer in reasonable quantities hydrates better than water.

Today there is more cheering news from a different set of scientists.

They have come up with the perfect excuse for heading to the pub after a game of football or rugby.

Their research has shown that a glass of beer is far better at rehydrating the body after exercise than water.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-491236/A-pint-beer-better-workout-water-say-scientists.html#ixzz1c3IH9ikM

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-491236/A-pint-beer-better-workout-water-say-scientists.html#ixzz1c3HVV5Cp

But who drinks one ounce of beer at a time?

People blame the high dam levels for making the floods worse. While that is no doubt true, it is simply a gamble and this year they gambled the wrong way. Whoever makes that water level decision no doubt thought that it was a good idea to keep the dams near maximum capacity because it was near the end of the NORMAL rainy season. Contrary to some of our farang experts, water management is NOT a simple thing.

What has become quite obvious is that Bangkok has to upgrade their drainage system to replace all the canals and natural drainage areas that were filled or otherwise blocked over the years. I would hope this is done to help prevent future disasters.

People blame the high dam levels for making the floods worse. While that is no doubt true, it is simply a gamble and this year they gambled the wrong way. Whoever makes that water level decision no doubt thought that it was a good idea to keep the dams near maximum capacity because it was near the end of the NORMAL rainy season. Contrary to some of our farang experts, water management is NOT a simple thing.

What has become quite obvious is that Bangkok has to upgrade their drainage system to replace all the canals and natural drainage areas that were filled or otherwise blocked over the years. I would hope this is done to help prevent future disasters.

You consider September the end of the normal rainy season?

From the Nation.

The delay in releasing water from dams, particularly Bhumibol Dam, in the North has caused mayhem because the water has to be released en masse otherwise the dams would have been broken apart. This Cabinet member has not yet come out to assume any responsibility for his decision that caused unprecedented floods to so far destroy 10,000 factories and plunged millions of Thais into bankruptcy and homelessness.

You consider September the end of the normal rainy season?

From the Nation.

The delay in releasing water from dams, particularly Bhumibol Dam, in the North has caused mayhem because the water has to be released en masse otherwise the dams would have been broken apart. This Cabinet member has not yet come out to assume any responsibility for his decision that caused unprecedented floods to so far destroy 10,000 factories and plunged millions of Thais into bankruptcy and homelessness.

No, the rainy season is normally finished by October in the north and north east. As far as not being able to release water slowly? Where did that information come from? If your source of information is The Nation, I'd consider more research.