Crowd-Sourced Map Of Bkk Floods

jybkk

Dear TV members, I see a lot of people sharing interesting information here about the situation in their area. A lot of others do ask about theirs or a place where they are supposed to go.But the whole thing is pretty scatterer among many threads and lots of pages.

Why don't we use a shared map on Google?

We could easily pinpoint all these queries, answers and pictures on the map.

Here's a test I did.http://goo.gl/bykYC

It's quite simple and providing we come up with a few guidelines about the icons we're using and the information we're putting there, it could be pretty useful. The only to edit is to have a Google profile.

What do you think?

What kind of data should we put there?

Edited by jybkk

I think this is a brilliant idea.

Information:

1) Expected to flood areas

2) Already flooded areas

3) Roads out of the city that may be blocked in the near future, bus routes that will be disabled in the near future.

Thank you.

Here's what I suggest:

Legend

Please follow this format: <location> - <status> - <last update>. For example: Klong Toey Market - OK - 25/10 10:40

Colors:

Green: Situation OK.

Yellow: Warning has been issued, area potentially affected

Red: Area already flooded.

Please add your requests using a "question mark" placemark.

Try to add as much detail as possible on the description. Pictures are much welcome.

To edit: Log in your google account (for example through Gmail) then open the map: http://goo.gl/bykYC

You should now see the option "edit" on the left.

Edited by jybkk

I think this is a brilliant idea.

Information:

1) Expected to flood areas

2) Already flooded areas

3) Roads out of the city that may be blocked in the near future, bus routes that will be disabled in the near future.

add on for 2) depth of water

Great idea but I have to admit I don't know how to particpiate. I logged in via Gmail and then....???

Any chance of a blow by blow account of what to do? Thanks

Hi.

I added a few instructions here: http://goo.gl/B5YOF

Basically, when you load the map while connected to your Google Account, you should see an "edit" button right above the title of the map.

Please read the instructions before editing. We now have quite a few contributors, so we should make sure it doesn't become the anarchy.

Hey, this has already been done for at least two weeks. Why reinvent the wheel?

Google: "google crisis thailand" Up-to-date maps with input from many agencies as well as individuals.

Are you talking about this map?

http://www.google.org/intl/en/crisisresponse/thailand-flood-2011.html#map

I was using it at first (this is where I got the idea anyway) but it started to be unsatisfying.

To add information you have to go through "thaiflood.com" where basically everything is in thai. All updates reported by the people are in Thai too and most of them are completely out of date.

The other layers on the map, however, are interesting but pretty much not updated for almost a week now.

Google: "google crisis thailand" Up-to-date maps with input from many agencies as well as individuals.

Are you talking about this map?

http://www.google.or...d-2011.html#map

I was using it at first (this is where I got the idea anyway) but it started to be unsatisfying.

To add information you have to go through "thaiflood.com" where basically everything is in thai. All updates reported by the people are in Thai too and most of them are completely out of date.

The other layers on the map, however, are interesting but pretty much not updated for almost a week now.

Points well-taken. jap.gif

Great idea but I have to admit I don't know how to particpiate. I logged in via Gmail and then....???

1. You have to be signed in with a google account (e.g. your gmail account)

2. Press the "Edit" button on the top left

3. Right click on the map where you want to add your report -> choose "Add a placemark"

4. Choose the icon type (green = DRY / red = FLOODED / yellow = WARNING)

5. Write the title:

E.g.: Lad Prao Soi 24 - OK - 25/10 21:00

6. Add a description if needed

7. Press "OK"

Edited by soomak

Hi.

I added a few instructions here: http://goo.gl/B5YOF

Basically, when you load the map while connected to your Google Account, you should see an "edit" button right above the title of the map.

Please read the instructions before editing. We now have quite a few contributors, so we should make sure it doesn't become the anarchy.

Got it thanks. Is it possible for the list of comments to read from newest to oldest (it's oldest to newest at the moment). Just an idea....

The is a really good map Bangkok highlighting of potential flooding depths based on worst case scenario done by the Disaster Warming Center at Rangsit Uni. It is on the front page and website of that other english newspaper which I cannot post due to TV T&Cs.

In the current circumstances, it would be good for a mod to post it as it does give a good indication of potential flood levels in all districts in BKK.

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone PLEASE just copy today's map on this thread or another ?

FH

I have yet to find a map by Googling that means anything to me as all the place names are unfamiliar. I'm looking for a map with colour showing where it is flooded and updated in the the last day or two. For me the Thai Flood map is impossible to glean any info from with all the pins in it. When I try to zoom in it just is a regular map with no flood data at all. Earlier it had boxes on theleft to tickbut Icould never figure out how to get the info to load Wish I could figure out the OT map. Sorry, but some of us really aren't too computer sufficient.

Edited by TigerWan

Please LG

Can you post a link, or better yet copy today's map ?

The is a really good map Bangkok highlighting of potential flooding depths based on worst case scenario done by the Disaster Warming Center at Rangsit Uni. It is on the front page and website of that other english newspaper which I cannot post due to TV T&Cs.

In the current circumstances, it would be good for a mod to post it as it does give a good indication of potential flood levels in all districts in BKK.

FH

I have yet to find a map by Googling that means anything to me as all the place names are unfamiliar. I'm looking for a map with colour showing where it is flooded and updated in the the last day or two. For me the Thai Flood map is impossible to glean any info from with all the pins in it. When I try to zoom in it just is a regular map with no flood data at all. Earlier it had boxes on theleft to tickbut Icould never figure out how to get the info to load Wish I could figure out the OT map. Sorry, but some of us really aren't too computer sufficient.

http://www.bangkokgis.com/flood/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=87

BKK J Thanks for that link

Anyone know a map that has the flood drawn on it? Updated recently?

EDIT : OK I have a very slow connection but is now loading in colour, Thanks

FH

http://www.bangkokgi...apper&Itemid=87

Edited by TigerWan

BKK J Thanks for that link

Anyone know a map that has the flood drawn on it? Updated recently?

FH

http://www.bangkokgi...apper&Itemid=87

http://maps.google.fr/maps/ms?msid=203278216882407399461.0004af623e23c9dccde11&msa=0&ll=13.880079,100.654678&spn=0.405955,0.727158

ExpatOilWorker,

thanks for posting the link, however I have just checked out my area, which is dark blue in the link provided.

I am as dry as a bone with no water in sight.

I only mention this so others who may not live here shouldnt take this link as gospel.

Dont know how often the link gets updated, or whether is someone guessing/predicting where the water will go.