Apartments With Decent Internet

mrireland

Ok im moving to Chiang Mai in a couple of weeks and so far ive used these 2 websites to narrow down possible apartments:

http://chiangmaiproperties.co.th

http://chiangmai.thaiapartments.net

Now the plan is to visit the ones ive it narrowed down to when i get there as im sure what you see isnt always what you get. Ill probably be staying for about 9 months or longer. Are there any other good websites i missed?

Also i need a good skype connection and also reliable internet connection, i know that might not be 100% possible but i obviously want to go with a company that will be as close to that as possible, from what i read true and bb are the best?

The internet is probably more important than the apartment, i would pay up to 50 euro maybe 60 a month if it meant solid internet but i dont want to pay double either if the difference isnt that much. Its more reliability rather than speed im looking for, i would love if someone had a suggestion for an apartment that had one of the reliable internet companies, im looking for something in the bedsit 150-200 euro range but im willng to go as high as 350 if all the lower priced ones have crap internet. None of the sites advertising mention what type of internet is available.

Also is it just a matter of going into these apartments and ringing up and getting connected or is there a wait time? If so what are my best options in the meantime with some sort of mobile broadband, ideally ill need internet setup immediately.

Finally if youve any tips for when looking to rent apartments, go through agents or not, can you bargain on the price much or is it basically as set, any hidden charges to watch out for, whats electricity typically if im basically living there most days and using air con a lot?

Really appreciate any help

Get a D-Link USB dongle and plug it into your laptop with a service that offers 3G. If your not a gambler and dont watch videos, DTAC EDGE is by far good enough.

Thanks for the suggestion, i know here in Ireland the dongles are usually pretty crap, is it the same over there or are they better. I'll be using it 8+ hours a day so although it doesnt need to be super fast if its only usable 5-6 of those 8 hours thats going to be bad so i dont mind paying extra for reliability

Morny

It takes time to find an apartment here at the right price, I suggest you take a short term room and hit the streets, the prices you can get by searching ads on notice boards inside buildings are considerably less than the same apartment advertised via an agent online. I have been looking the past two weeks, there are more bargains appearing, some buildings give you quality Wi-Fi at 500 baht a month. I have stayed in Mini Cost Apartments - good Wi-Fi included, and a central location from which to scout out a condo. See - http://www.minicostcm.com/ - they are very popular, so book early, there is also a new place in Soi 3 ? Loy Kroh called "Mums Place" believe it or not, full service new - 6 months old all inclusive for 13,000 to 15,000 a month, good size rooms, new LCD flat screen TV, full size fridge etc - just dandy !

Are you morny from Holdemmanger?

I used AIS USB before I moved into an apartment and it was rock solid for 2 weeks. Its 800 baht [20 euro] for 3 gigs though, so its a very expensive option for downloading files, but for general use its fine.

I stayed in a great apartment with really good internet for 1 year. It was managed by a Farrang from the US and his Thai wife. It's right off the moat at Chiang Mai gate, near the Saturday night market. It's just 3 minutes from Airport Plaza. Great location.

I only paid 4,000 baht a month! It included internet, cable, nice new fridge, a TV, a bed, closet and hot water. If you want to PM me I can give you their phone number.

Sethee Court

30 Sripingmuang Rd; Soi 3

Changklan Muang Chiang Mai 50100

It takes time to find an apartment here at the right price, I suggest you take a short term room and hit the streets, the prices you can get by searching ads on notice boards inside buildings are considerably less than the same apartment advertised via an agent online. I have been looking the past two weeks, there are more bargains appearing, some buildings give you quality Wi-Fi at 500 baht a month. I have stayed in Mini Cost Apartments - good Wi-Fi included, and a central location from which to scout out a condo. See - http://www.minicostcm.com/ - they are very popular, so book early, there is also a new place in Soi 3 ? Loy Kroh called "Mums Place" believe it or not, full service new - 6 months old all inclusive for 13,000 to 15,000 a month, good size rooms, new LCD flat screen TV, full size fridge etc - just dandy !

Thanks for the advice

Are you morny from Holdemmanger?

I used AIS USB before I moved into an apartment and it was rock solid for 2 weeks. Its 800 baht [20 euro] for 3 gigs though, so its a very expensive option for downloading files, but for general use its fine.

I got a bit freaked out there for a minute until i seen i signed morny but yeah thats me, thanks that should do me fine for the first few days while im staying in hotels and scouting for an apartment.

I stayed in a great apartment with really good internet for 1 year. It was managed by a Farrang from the US and his Thai wife. It's right off the moat at Chiang Mai gate, near the Saturday night market. It's just 3 minutes from Airport Plaza. Great location.

I only paid 4,000 baht a month! It included internet, cable, nice new fridge, a TV, a bed, closet and hot water. If you want to PM me I can give you their phone number.

Sethee Court

30 Sripingmuang Rd; Soi 3

Changklan Muang Chiang Mai 50100

Ill pm you, thanks appreciate it

Everyone I know here in CM who says they absolutely, positively, must have good internet services has at least two or even three ISPs. The OP could afford that for the budget quoted. You could get into a place with free wifi, get a 3G dongle for back-up and set up whatever service TOT is offering over their phone lines. I don't know if they still call it 3B, or if it has a new name.

We use AIS 3G service, with a router rather than a dongle, since we want to operate several computers at once. It definitely has problems in the late afternoon and early evening. Oh well, we just watch TV or cook dinner then rather than trying to use the internet. We can live with it, but someone who's livlihood depended on the internet couldn't. Incientally, we got our AIS service about two years ago when they first introduced it with a special introductory monthly rate which (miracle of miracles) they're still giving us. I don't really know how we've been so lucky and we don't want to ask for fear it's a mistake and they'll put us on current pricing as soon as we bring it to their attention. Instead, we just pay the bill a few days early every month, in person at the AIS office, we we don't mess up this good deal by being late with a monthly payment or having 7-11 lose it.

Not Huay Kaew Residence and that sad thing is the high spped I pay extras for is 200 more/month. Its really bad and has to cost them customerd each month. zthe Chinese owners when western folks bolt like I have near done myself...just lost my connection, go figure '-)

Everyone I know here in CM who says they absolutely, positively, must have good internet services has at least two or even three ISPs. The OP could afford that for the budget quoted. You could get into a place with free wifi, get a 3G dongle for back-up and set up whatever service TOT is offering over their phone lines. I don't know if they still call it 3B, or if it has a new name.

We use AIS 3G service, with a router rather than a dongle, since we want to operate several computers at once. It definitely has problems in the late afternoon and early evening. Oh well, we just watch TV or cook dinner then rather than trying to use the internet. We can live with it, but someone who's livlihood depended on the internet couldn't. Incientally, we got our AIS service about two years ago when they first introduced it with a special introductory monthly rate which (miracle of miracles) they're still giving us. I don't really know how we've been so lucky and we don't want to ask for fear it's a mistake and they'll put us on current pricing as soon as we bring it to their attention. Instead, we just pay the bill a few days early every month, in person at the AIS office, we we don't mess up this good deal by being late with a monthly payment or having 7-11 lose it.

i use DTAC on an EDGE connection and have had no problems, sometimes if it is slow, i simply disconnect and reconnect and the speed is back to normal. edGE isn;t really good for streaming video, but for everything else it is great.

If you want solid internet I suggest you come and stay at Smith Residence near Chiang Mai Gate. We have a lot of people from the poker community who live/have lived here and were able to grind on the connection without problems. Ive lived here for 9 months myself.

How long are you gonna be here in Chiang Mai? PM me if you want more info + we have a Skype group for poker players here in Chiang Mai.

Alex

Edited by alexpoker