Uk Licence

grewy

I drove with just a Uk license for years and was alright.

I wouldn't recommend riding a bike in Bangkok - had 3 crashes, and didn't ride often.

I rented cars with a UK license, and just a passport sometimes.

You could at a IDP at the post office in the UK were you I wouldn't bother, unless you have money to waste.

At the end of the day in Thailand, if you have a license or not doesn't really matter. If stopped by the police, they may see your Uk one and fine you, they may see your Thai one or IDP and fine you the same.

The only concern would be if you had an accident. I've never heard of anyone being refused their innsurance because they haven't had a license, but not sure of the "legal" thing.

My wife pays my car insurance, but she doesn't have a driving license.

Worst case scenario? You are drunk and knock down a politicians daughter. Man,you are focked whatever license you have.

If you are living here, you should get a Thai license, which I got in about 1 hour when I showed them my UK one, cert. from the doc, WP and a couple of photos.

Have a look in this forum http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showforum=59 for more innffo.

A UK licence is NOT valid in Thailand unless accompanied by an International Driving Permit (IDP) which you can get from the AA or RAC. Both have online ordering, so, assuming you have someone at home in the UK to forward the permit you can get one and have it posted here.

With an IDP and your UK licence you can obtain a Thai licence no problem, if no IDP you must take a (basic) driving test to get your Thai licence.

There are a bunch of threads and some pinned stuff on how to get a Thai licence so I won't go into it again, a click of the red search button will reveal all.

EDIT: Look in the house and car ownership forum.

NEERANAM It may be true but it's still VERY BAD ADVICE!!!!! Anyone who drives anywhere (even here) without fully legal documentation is a FOOL. If you wouldn't do it at home, why should you do it here?

Edited by Crossy

Last time I was there, a UK DL was legal for tourists. If staying longer than just a holiday, you must either get an IDP or a Thai DL.

If you get caught, just discreetly hand over 40 baht and you'll probably be allowed to drive away.

How does this unwritten law stand today folks?

Don't greet Thai police with 'dubious' greetings like I did. I was fined 4000 Baht which was quickly split between the coppers. :o

Edited by mr-chris

Last time I was there, a UK DL was legal for tourists. If staying longer than just a holiday, you must either get an IDP or a Thai DL.

If you get caught, just discreetly hand over 40 baht and you'll probably be allowed to drive away.

How does this unwritten law stand today folks?

Don't greet Thai police with 'dubious' greetings like I did. I was fined 4000 Baht which was quickly split between the coppers.  :o

As I understand the rules you ALWAYS need an IDP, you are only allowed to use it for 90 days (but it resets if you do a visa run). That said, whenever I handed over my UK licence the cop never asked for my IDP, he just wanted the reds.

Hmmm 40 Baht, more like 400 now :D

Thailand is a signatory to the agreement on International Driving Licences but, really, a Thai licence should be obtained soon after arrival if you are intending to drive anything here. A valid home or International Licence will expedite the issue of a Thai one. Assistance with this is given by the AIT Government Relations Office.

An International Driving Licence is accepted in Thailand as long as it is valid, normally three months (90 days). A foreign licence holds no weight in Thailand. If you decide to stay in Thailand, you should obtain a Thai licence. Many insurance companies will insist in the fine print, written in Thai, that you must be the holder of a current driving licence, which means a Thai driving licence, and not an International Licence, in order to submit a claim on the insurance.

With an IDP and your UK licence you can obtain a Thai licence no problem, if no IDP you must take a (basic) driving test to get your Thai licence.

2.5 years ago I obtained my Thai driving licence by showing a valid UK licence and taking a colour blindness test. No IDP nor driving test required.

Rules change!!!

I got my Thai licence with my UK licence, IDP, colour blindness test, reaction test and a depth perception test (feb 2005).

That said, a couple of people have posted that they got a Thai licence with no IDP and no test. TiT

Edited by Crossy