PM Yingluck Reveals Worse Case Scenario

Lite Beer

Hey guys, who lives near the river - is the level somehow changed during the last 3-4 days?

Up, or down, or still steady...ANYTHING??

We have a nice swimmin' time here in Pathumthani... Please tell us that the weter is going from here...to somewhere else...We have already got too much...:(

post-132952-0-79103900-1319561002_thumb.

Edited by alexakap

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys should stop beating around on Yingluck and blaming her for the current flood crisis. She's just doing the best she can. You guys also don't know where the flood is going or where it will flood in 2-3 days. It's an ever-changing situation. If you guys know, then why don't you share it here? If you don't, then let her do her job.

You should blame whoever designed the drain-off systems and water canals in Bangkok and Thailand in general over the past few decades. Whoever the people are that designed those are responsible, not Yingluck who just became PM this year. Or are you suggesting she dug all the wrong-designed canals herself in the past few weeks?

Even in the times of worst crisis in Thailand, there are people that have nothing better to do than play the "blame it on the Shinawatras" game. Go out and help some people. I know I stood in knee-deep water all day helping others. It makes me sick to come home and read all this crap.

Here in Chiang Mai we had big floods about 4 weeks ago. This water did not dissapear, it's been making it's way South. Add the water from the many other areas in the North that have flooded in the last few weeks and nobody should be surprised that this water is now hitting Bangkok. Well a few people seem surprised and that is this current government.

Ok I don't want this to sound like boasting but the weather in Chiang mai has changed. Rainy season is over here. The river is the lowest I've seen it for about 5-6 months. So hopefully when you get this surge past you things might calm down a bit. Granted it looks like this surge could take a long time but runoff from here has dropped a lot.

Good luck to you all.

You guys should stop beating around on Yingluck and blaming her for the current flood crisis. She's just doing the best she can. You guys also don't know where the flood is going or where it will flood in 2-3 days. It's an ever-changing situation. If you guys know, then why don't you share it here? If you don't, then let her do her job.

You should blame whoever designed the drain-off systems and water canals in Bangkok and Thailand in general over the past few decades. Whoever the people are that designed those are responsible, not Yingluck who just became PM this year. Or are you suggesting she dug all the wrong-designed canals herself in the past few weeks?

Even in the times of worst crisis in Thailand, there are people that have nothing better to do than play the "blame it on the Shinawatras" game. Go out and help some people. I know I stood in knee-deep water all day helping others. It makes me sick to come home and read all this crap.

Hello Newbie,

In your haste to pass blame, I suggest you take a moment to read up on some of the people who designed or were involved in the construction of the klong (canal) systems surrounding Bangkok and in the city itself.

They were built over a hundred years ago in many cases on the advice of ,and by order of, the King. Check out klong Rangsit for one and see who it is named after.

When the klongs were designed, Bangkok was not covered in concrete and the forests in the north had not all been cut down to cause landslides etc. Since then many have been filled in to create streets for Bangkok's traffic nightmare.

This government has known for months that this was coming, given the amount of monsoon rainfall we had. But then maybe not.B)

Gee flood waters will be from 10cm to 1meter!!!! That's like saying the Packers will score between 3 and 50 points next game.... this is what happens when a madman like Thaks is able to put in anyone he wants... he could have put a monkey in as PM and the redshirts would have been nodding in agreement.... "redshirt people this monkey very lucky for Thailand... now do you understand I am acting in your best interests"

And on a side note Yingluck's english is absoulutely horrible and embarrassing - I suggest she speak in Thai and use an interpreter... which of you english teacher's here are responsible?:P

Edited by losworld

A city inundated with flood with a population of give or take 10 million is the real worst case scenario. All jokes aside it is time to get the people out. Also time to call in the help of those that can ship in helicopters on C-130s. Don't worry they don't hold a grudge. Just ask for their help and they will be there. Unlike some others who have big mouths but are impotent.

At least someone from Dubai bought water pumps from Korea and donated them to the Thai government. How many pumps did Abhisit buy before he left for the Maldives? If you launch a political punch, expect to get a political punch back.

With that said, this isn't the time for politics, so please stop.

Hey guys, who lives near the river - is the level somehow changed during the last 3-4 days?

Up, or down, or still steady...ANYTHING??

ANYONE??? Or everyone soo busy bashing Thai govt (round and round and round, day by day - same words, different threads) instead being on topic...? Tonnes and tonnes of completely (ok, 95%) useless posts, daily... :bah:

Edited by alexakap

At least someone from Dubai bought water pumps from Korea and donated them to the Thai government. How many pumps did Abhisit buy before he left for the Maldives? If you launch a political punch, expect to get a political punch back.

Tell that to Yingluck and her muppet puppet master, politics seem to be more important than saving peoples lives and livelihoods !

The current Thai government have had their heads in the sand for the last 2 months + on the growing flood problem, more concerned with saving face on their election 'promises' than dealing with the major current issues. Would Abhist done any better? well that isn't the point because he's not the prime minster!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yingluck is!!!

Having a home in Nakhon Sawan I saw first hand what can be done on a provincial scale with a local leader who actually try's to put the people first who voted him in ! A lot of people in Nakhon Sawan wanted the Yinglucks government to let the army help in building flood defences MONTHS ago ( a really easy task as there's a huge army base just outside of town with fleets of heavy machines perfect for construction of anti flood measures with skilled personal).................... but Yingluck only let them get stuck in at the last minute, and now her administration refuses help from the American Navy who could help save lives!

Yingluck forgetting politics your a sad joke on so many levels!

IMHO !

I really don't wanna sound like bashing the government here but how can anyone take this government seriously? Yingluck doesn't make any decisions. She didn't WANT to be the PM. She had no intention to lead the country other than to bring back her brother in power. That's what this is all about.

So when the headline reads "Yingluck reveals worse case scenario", you're accepting that anything she says is out of her own analysis and expertise. Anyone can come out and make the same guesses if they look at the current situation. Yingluck is nothing without Thaksin, that is a fact. An 8 year old could be the PM of this country if he was a family member of the Shinawatras.

If you can accept Yingluck as the PM, you by logic should be able to accept the 8 year old. The two are interchangeable.

current Thai government have had their heads in the sand for the last 2 months

Will a million of your posts turn this backwards? No.

Then everyone please stop this blahblahblah. PLEASE. Stop chanting tis govt, as they are even less usable as your useless posts about them. They will not come to save your <deleted>. Forget it.

Time to just act. Go out and DO SOMETHING! There is a Huge Problem out there - waiting for everyone.

If you don't deal with the water - the water will deal with ya. Very simple.

If you live in the sukhumvit area and you want to get a better idea of where you are on the flood potential scale you can access a detailed map at villageinthecity.com. I will follow this tomorrow with some calculated estimates.

I urge the moderators to come up with some means of diverting the flood of irrelevant political commentary on topics like this which impairs the usefulness and credibility of these forums.

Swelters

li-plane-flood-cp-rtr2t60h.jpg

The engines of Thai Airways airplanes are protected as floods advanced at the Don Muang airport in Bangkok. (Reuters)

Geez, I love this flood protection...:annoyed:

If they drop few sand bags on runways, planes will be even safer. This pic with jet engines covered with plastic bags illustrates Thai mentality so well

Edited by valgehiir

PM Yingluck

Isn't that already the Worse Case Scenario for most people on TV? :ph34r:

One might have thought so a few weeks ago,

and yet it's infinitely worse now....

And wait a week.

Her worst case estimate is a joke, just ask the residents of Bang Bua Thong or Ayutthaya what to expect. Sections, not all, but parts of Bangkok will likely be under 2-4 m of water at some point in the near future. Bangkok is a city of 9million people and where do you think the food and water will come from for those people? It used to come from places like Pathum Thani and Nakorn Pathom, Even Tesco has admitted that it is having trouble supplying retailers. As roads become flooded in Bangkok you will see empty stores close down all across the city. The banks in affected areas have closed, expect this to happen in affected areas of Bangkok. Their pledge to keep tap water and electricity running is ridiculous. Those services will fail in flooded areas of the city. Gas stations in flooded areas will close and within days traffic will grind to a halt, which won't matter because people will be quadruple parked on every available overpass and expressway. The domestic airport is closed, don't be surprised if the international airport follows suit in 10 to 14 days. Every place the government has tried to portray as safe is being swamped. Soon they will abandon the FROC hq at Don Muang because it just doesn't make sense to keep it in a place that has become cut off, I won't be surprised if they relocate outside the city. Some of the city will remain relatively dry, but without the constant influx of food, water, and other necessities Bangkok could become a very nasty place to be. If you want to know what happens when a city is cut off just look at post Katrina New Orleans. Hope I can get my family out in time.

My memory is muddy what's this river I'm in

Nonthaburi is sinking and I don't want to swim

55555 According to Kwanchai, Thaksin ORDERED pumps. But really, do you actually believe that crap?

If it isn't the time for politics, why bring Abhisit into it?

I live in Ayuttaya. They said it would be bad, but i never expected what came.

Get out now. There will be no water soon (to drink or wash with).

And they 'hotline' is a load of crap too. No-one came.

I swam for help to get my family out.

Come back in 40 days they said.

Is "Meenburi" mentioned in the article the same place as the I've seen spelled "Minburi"?

Thanks

Of course it is, Thai language has it's own alphabet which follows rules and is spelled phonetically. English is not a phonetic language and there are unavoidable problems translating between alphabets.

Thais cannot get together on the spelling of a location.

Imagine their thought process for disasters!

I know for a FACT that ALL THAIS have known this was coming. For the last ten years farang have heard that Bangkok would be under water in ten years.

Nothing but laughs whenever I asked what preventive measures were being taken.

Sand bags DO NOT STOP MAJOR FLOODS I told them...and they laughed again.

Why would they even care how it is spelled in our language???

Yur one of those guys that lives here but constantly bitches about Thais and is consistently calling them stupid right???

Have you got a Thai wife? and do you include her in your assessment of Thais? I do, and I am careful in what I say about Thai people and what I think about Thai people...... and people in general.

I agree Canada, these guys are the majority of foreigners here and at home and I think it's time for them to learn a lesson. I'm tired of hearing this BS. Everything is an opportunity for them to ridicule others so they can finally feel equal.

Hello Newbie,

In your haste to pass blame, I suggest you take a moment to read up on some of the people who designed or were involved in the construction of the klong (canal) systems surrounding Bangkok and in the city itself.

They were built over a hundred years ago in many cases on the advice of ,and by order of, the King. Check out klong Rangsit for one and see who it is named after.

When the klongs were designed, Bangkok was not covered in concrete and the forests in the north had not all been cut down to cause landslides etc. Since then many have been filled in to create streets for Bangkok's traffic nightmare.

This government has known for months that this was coming, given the amount of monsoon rainfall we had. But then maybe not.B)

So we shouldn't listen to him because he is new on this webboard? lol there is nothing holy about being a longtime member here. Knowing this much water is coming doesn't mean anything can be done about it. To think a developing country can achieve a miracle and prevent a flood here is ridiculous, let's move on to something important like how to help people in trouble and where to get the best information on where water is going, when it's going there, and how long it will take to drain. Enough with the gloating already. How about this, we all admit you are so superior and intelligent and educated than (insert your own favorite whipping boy/girl) and let's get over it.

Is "Meenburi" mentioned in the article the same place as the I've seen spelled "Minburi"?

Thanks

Unfortunately, Thai script can not easily be transliterated (romanised or converted to English looking characters) so this will come up time and again. There are a number of different transliteration systems and it depends on the system and the person how it is "converted". If you want to be confused you will care about it.

Edited by horsewell

Hello Newbie,

So we shouldn't listen to him because he is new on this webboard? lol there is nothing holy about being a longtime member here. Knowing this much water is coming doesn't mean anything can be done about it. To think a developing country can achieve a miracle and prevent a flood here is ridiculous, let's move on to something important like how to help people in trouble and where to get the best information on where water is going, when it's going there, and how long it will take to drain. Enough with the gloating already. How about this, we all admit you are so superior and intelligent and educated than (insert your own favorite whipping boy/girl) and let's get over it.

Totally agree with all your points, now if you could perhaps pass them on to the government and have them act on them we'd all be happy as they are all valid points that the FROC team should have address days ago instead of contradicting each other, delaying the release of information, blatently lying (see pradsaplops [or whatever his name is] comments a few days back) and fudguing the whole thing to save face, by making a balls up of the assistance offered by the US.

PS - Mr. Farang - We know that Yingluck is doing the best she can, but it's fairly <deleted> obvious her best isn't good enough.

Edited by jonclark

Fully agreed with what you are writing, constructive is to go out and help. I am also tried to read all the armchair "specialists" here.:bah:

It's my guess that this falls under the purview of The Royal Thai Irrigation department? That's what they are called by the way.

Fully agreed with what you are writing, constructive is to go out and help. I am also tried to read all the armchair "specialists" here.:bah:

:rolleyes: Apparently, the constructive thing to do would be to go out and help, rather than reading all the armchair "specialists" here.

Thanks

---------------

Yes, that what they mean.

The spelling got scrambled in converting from Thai characters to English letters I suspect.

Or also sometimes Min Buri.

(similar sound in Thai)

Thais cannot get together on the spelling of a location.

Imagine their thought process for disasters!

I know for a FACT that ALL THAIS have known this was coming. For the last ten years farang have heard that Bangkok would be under water in ten years.

Nothing but laughs whenever I asked what preventive measures were being taken.

Sand bags DO NOT STOP MAJOR FLOODS I told them...and they laughed again.

When the English speaking world can get together and come up with a common English accent, then the Thai's might be able to translate their language to English.