Where Are The "Travel Warnings" For Bangkok?

jaiyen17

What the hell?? How is it possible that there are not any travel warnings issued for Thailand. Especially Bangkok!! I rent a home here in on the border of Bangkok and Nonthaburi. There are serious food & bottled water shortages here now. I went to 10 stores yesterday and did not see one bottle of drinking water, there are no eggs anywhere and it's very difficult to find any non-perishable goods. Re-stocking has been promised but is not happening! How can the government continue to let people fly in without warning them? Floods imminent... 5 day "holiday" or "crisis days off" and Nothing on the U.S embassy site at all!

Pictures below taken from different 7-11's in our area. We have no flooding here as of yet...and still stores are not being restocked! Any people considering on flying into Bangkok I highly advise against it!!!

post-25014-0-54231700-1319553426_thumb.j

post-25014-0-98110300-1319553603_thumb.j

post-25014-0-35049200-1319553806_thumb.j

post-25014-0-74647300-1319553877_thumb.j

post-25014-0-00714800-1319553944_thumb.j

post-25014-0-58870400-1319554036_thumb.j

post-25014-0-07181800-1319554088_thumb.j

post-25014-0-71276300-1319554121_thumb.j

Edited by jaiyen17

Got a friend coming to BKK soon, he knew nothing of the devastation, and hasn't recieved any travel warnings from OZ. I've told him to reconsider. Good pictures of the 7/11 store.My wife and i are 7/11 owners in Bang Khae and our store has been basically empty for over a week now. no water, eggs, fresh food etc. most stores, including ours are not getting stock delivered because our drivers unable to get through floodwaters. Talk about panic!! We still haven't seen any floods close by. But better to be prepared. Some Tesco stores have closed, and i am tipping a lot of 7/11 will follow suit shortly. So for anyone who reads this post, best of luck for whatever your outcomes may be, and stay safe.

The only bottled water they had at swampy airport today was Evian which costs 45 baht for 300ml. I evacuated from rangsit unversity today, the 7/11s and family marts there had built concrete and sandbag walls out the front and then closed. That was a sign that it was time to go.

301039_10150862264530471_606885470_21141516_1939212713_n.jpg

The only bottled water they had at swampy airport today was Evian which costs 45 baht for 300ml. I evacuated from rangsit unversity today, the 7/11s and family marts there had built concrete and sandbag walls out the front and then closed. That was a sign that it was time to go.

doesnt look like there are any foundations ????? .... this wall will just collaspe under the pressure of the water

Travel warning for travel to Nonthaburi province?

Didn't know that it was a major tourist destination. Koh Kret is one of my fav places and I am glad it has not been inundated by hordes of tourists (pun intended).

Seriously. Not defending the lack of travel warning but I wonder what factors are at play and what exactly you think should be released? Perhaps some of the following may be pertinent?

Firstly, undoubtedly the Thai govt not wanting more inbound cancellations (some people think that the whole of thailand is under water) a month before the start of the high season is a factor. Impressions of problems at a destination create a lag effect and cancellations tend to extend beyond the period of the problem esp for the more sensitive traveler from say China or Japan. Of course such pressure should not affect embassies releasing travel warnings but we know that it does to a degree. And that is not to say clear, accurate info should not be furnished to inbound pax but given how badly that objective has been fulfilled in the last few weeks by govt with residents .........

Secondly, a travel warning for Ayuttaya and land based travel to the north does seems warranted and would be valid for at least 4 weeks but embassies cannot issue travel warnings every other day to reflect the changing impact zone. Also, with the lack of clear and accurate info from FROC embassies may be in a slightly invidious position as to what info to provide when so many contradictory statements have been given by various agencies. Would you want an embassy to start drafting a travel warning when the Science Minister 2 weeks ago stated that Bangkok was about to be flooded only to retract it a few hours later? Perhaps, they are waiting until major areas of central bangkok are being flooded?

Thirdly, most inbound tourists spend little time in Bangkok and generally only in central Bangkok so those of us living here may be exaggerating the sense of problems due to our localised probs. (I have read some estimates that 20% of int. inbound at Swampy travel straight to Pattaya alone! I don't know if that is accurate). How many tourists would have ever heard of Ngam Wong Wan rd let alone visited there??? And most tourists will be staying in hotels which ensure that they will have access to sufficient stocks of water and other essentials. In fact, probably better to be stuck in a major hotel once central Bangkok floods than in your own home as your needs will be prioritised by all concerned (including being evac'd if required).

Supply and logistic problems means many stocks of food stuffs will be a problem for at least the next month. So many factories and warehouses are located in Ayuttaya and Pathum Thani that imports will be necessary for some essentials in the next month to 6 weeks.

I suspect that in the course of the next few days as central bangkok and river areas start to become more inundated that the travel warnings you suggest should be out will start being released?

Didn't know that it was a major tourist destination. Koh Kret is one of my fav places and I am glad it has not been inundated by hordes of tourists (pun intended).

Seriously. Not defending the lack of travel warning but I wonder what factors are at play and what exactly you think should be released?

@Lakageneve - The title of my post did not say a "travel warning for Nonthaburi" It said a "Travel Warning for Bangkok"

It should be released because the government had to declare an official 5 day holiday (or as I call it "crisis evacuation days" to help facilitate getting it's own people out. There are official Thai warnings for 50 districts being flooded. There is a shortage of food and bottled water not only in Bangkok. One of the airports is already closed and there is no 100% assurance that Suvarnabhumi will be able to remain open. Electricity may not be able to be maintained in condos apartments and possibly hotels if flooding occurs. And now CAT telecom has said it cannot guarantee the telecommunication system and internet can be kept running. I think this warrants AN OFFICIAL TRAVEL WARNING FROM ALL COUNTRIES. You should not be coming to Bangkok right now unless you are coming to assist and deliver aid.

Amazing; FROC releases a statement advising citizens to leave for the provinces tonight, and meanwhile no warnings for people traveling from overseas to the city.

Thank you BKK James!!! my sentiments exactly. I've been posting this on the U.S embassy site and on the thai visa site and catching some slack for my perceived "drama" One guy on the thaivisa fb page actually told me this is not a Thai Visa issue... I do not agree. Frustrating~ Wonder what it's going to actually take to get these warnings officially posted on all embassy sites?

doesnt look like there are any foundations ????? .... this wall will just collaspe under the pressure of the water

After a blessing from a Monk and maybe some black magic, it should hold any amount of water. :unsure:

Got a friend coming to BKK soon, he knew nothing of the devastation, and hasn't recieved any travel warnings from OZ. I've told him to reconsider. Good pictures of the 7/11 store.My wife and i are 7/11 owners in Bang Khae and our store has been basically empty for over a week now. no water, eggs, fresh food etc. most stores, including ours are not getting stock delivered because our drivers unable to get through floodwaters. Talk about panic!! We still haven't seen any floods close by. But better to be prepared. Some Tesco stores have closed, and i am tipping a lot of 7/11 will follow suit shortly. So for anyone who reads this post, best of luck for whatever your outcomes may be, and stay safe.

I would think your friend has not registered with Australian government. I have received 2 travel warnings this week from them in relation to the flood and the trouble down south.

More than 3 weeks ago, BBC World, CNN were running these stories. They were run by AFP and Reuters. I don't know why you are all complaining. If you 'world travellers' don't follow the news and keep yourself abreast of situations, then it's your own calling. Same goes for people travelling here.

It's like these people who sail their yachts around the Arabian Gulf, Gulf of Aden and then get kidnapped by Somali pirates and bleat they were not 'warned' and demand their governments come rescue them.

As for eggs and basic supplies - yesterday, Big C @ Rama 4 had eggs, veggies, chicken and pork and even canned foods and Mama. 3 7-11s in my area - breads, Mama, Eggs. Villa in Soi 11 - Eggs, bread, meats, veggies.

As for water, a simple investment in a water purifier weeks ago when you all knew this annual event would be the worst for decades and you wouldn't be moaning now. They cost as little as Bht800.

Then there're ways to clean water before consumption. never heard of water purification tablets, boiling water?

Seriously, did you all come from Nanny States where the 'authorities' are meant to wait on you hand and foot? And frankly, with people out of work, some 350 dead, and the billions this is going to cost, you're concerned about eggs and drinking water and feel that the Government should shut the borders to people arriving in Bangkok?

The mind boggles.

Edited by BKKBrit

@BkkBrit

Seriously, did you all come from Nanny States where the 'authorities' are meant to wait on you hand and foot? And frankly, with people out of work, some 350 dead, and the billions this is going to cost, you're concerned about eggs and drinking water and feel that the Government should shut the borders to people arriving in Bangkok?
As for water, a simple investment in a water purifier weeks ago when you all knew this annual event would be the worst for decades and you wouldn't be moaning now. They cost as little as Bht800.

This post is about the lack of "Travel Warnings for Travelers to Bkk" I am happy to see that your own country the U.K has now posted an OFFICIAL TRAVEL WARNING as well as Canada. But the U.S has not... only emergency updates.

Of course if we live here as we both do and have houses or condos we obviously should already be prepared and have access to and ways to filter and purify our water. But those flying in on their first trip to Thailand as tourists, travelers and backpackers should not be expected to show up with water treatment capabilities and their own bottled water. This post is just stating the obvious. There are some serious supply chain problems happening here and people should be warned about it. If a large portion of the BMA floods these problems will only intensify. People should be warned. Where the U.K and Canada have both issued official "Travel Warnings" The U.S has not even issued an official "Travel Alert" As a U.S Citizen this seriously pisses me off and is why I am actively posting about it. If you don't agree... so be it~ And yes, Bangkok Brit...I am concerned about Water...as we all should be! Below is the world "Travel Alerts" from the U.S Department of State... Thailand is strangely not on this list?? My link http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_1766.html

Edited by jaiyen17

Seriously. Not defending the lack of travel warning but I wonder what factors are at play and what exactly you think should be released?

@Lakageneve - The title of my post did not say a "travel warning for Nonthaburi" It said a "Travel Warning for Bangkok"

It should be released because the government had to declare an official 5 day holiday (or as I call it "crisis evacuation days" to help facilitate getting it's own people out. There are official Thai warnings for 50 districts being flooded. There is a shortage of food and bottled water not only in Bangkok. One of the airports is already closed and there is no 100% assurance that Suvarnabhumi will be able to remain open. Electricity may not be able to be maintained in condos apartments and possibly hotels if flooding occurs. And now CAT telecom has said it cannot guarantee the telecommunication system and internet can be kept running. I think this warrants AN OFFICIAL TRAVEL WARNING FROM ALL COUNTRIES. You should not be coming to Bangkok right now unless you are coming to assist and deliver aid.

Yes I appreciate what your title did say but the point I was attempting to make is that you were using a very localised example and seemingly expecting that to be translated into a national travel warning. Where I live in BKK there is water available at most stores (though patently a highly limited supply to normal), food is ok but again some stocks are out and I move about freely. The intro to my reply was clearly in jest and I hope was taken that way, esp as I have previously resided up your way and count 9 different residences of friends in your area.

I was attempting to raise some issues about the invidious nature and politics surrounding travel warnings, some which may be relevant and some which may not be. We have seen govts being criticised for not issuing travel warnings in a timely manner and then other times critcised for being overly cautious and potentially too reactionary. I wasn't advocating either way. Personally, I rarely use travel advisories as primary material, more background. In the internet and global media age there are so many other more appropriate sources of info but I do understand that some do rely on them.

Obviously, the warning issued yesterday from the BMA Gov is important and the next 72hrs are not the most ideal time to visit BKK unless you have a compelling reason. Your main concern is with the US State Dept and should be taken up with them accordingly? It is only speculation but part of my response in part 1 may be applicable there esp given the whole politics surrounding the withdrawal, or not, of naval assets that were, or were not, being sent to help the Thai govt response. I am not a national of the US but my gov has issued adequate warning in my view.

Just as well none of us are Burmese as between the Thais not giving a hoot and our own govt not caring it would not be a very nice place to be.......

And most tourists will be staying in hotels which ensure that they will have access to sufficient stocks of water and other essentials. In fact, probably better to be stuck in a major hotel once central Bangkok floods than in your own home as your needs will be prioritised by all concerned (including being evac'd if required).

So many factories and warehouses are located in Ayuttaya and Pathum Thani that imports will be necessary for some essentials in the next month to 6 weeks.

And where/how do you think the hotels get their food stocks from? So all the supply chains that deliver to stores in Bangkok are breaking down and most stores are out of water and food staples but hotels are fine and dandy. How does that work exactly? Do they have fresh water springs in the basement and vegetable and dairy farms on the roofs.

Edited by FarangBuddha

eggs sold out-and so they were in a tesco far away from there. BUt which normal tourist goes looking for fresh eggs anyway?

And maybe-think-the shortgaeis becse restrts and hotels etc have stocked up justy for the case.as any Thai also does?

To make your wrath even m\more; Muy country-rather the assorted traveagencies- did issue a warning and also stated that trips cpontinue and that the more wanted places like Pattaya and HHin are normal. If needed- itineraries will be adjusted as seems fit-without recourse or ''compenstaion''-usually the major reason people start whining.

eggs sold out-and so they were in a tesco far away from there. BUt which normal tourist goes looking for fresh eggs anyway?

And maybe-think-the shortgaeis becse restrts and hotels etc have stocked up justy for the case.as any Thai also does?

To make your wrath even m\more; Muy country-rather the assorted traveagencies- did issue a warning and also stated that trips cpontinue and that the more wanted places like Pattaya and HHin are normal. If needed- itineraries will be adjusted as seems fit-without recourse or ''compenstaion''-usually the major reason people start whining.

The problem is that Pattaya and Hua Hin ARE NOT normal. I live in Pattaya and, like Bangkok, stores are out of most food staples and drinking water. There is no flooding here and unlikely to be any but supply-chains throughout the country are breaking down so stuff can't get anywhere, even if there is no localized flooding. There has also been a massive flood [sorry for that] of refugees from Bangkok that have descended on Pattaya, putting further strain on all local infrastructure (food, power, water, rooms, etc.).

The problem is that Pattaya and Hua Hin ARE NOT normal. I live in Pattaya and, like Bangkok, stores are out of most food staples and drinking water. There is no flooding here and unlikely to be any but supply-chains throughout the country are breaking down so stuff can't get anywhere, even if there is no localized flooding. There has also been a massive flood [sorry for that] of refugees from Bangkok that have descended on Pattaya, putting further strain on all local infrastructure (food, power, water, rooms, etc.).

Thank you so much for posting Farang Buddha... this is very interesting information!!! Wondering if anyone from Chiang Mai can also post on if they are feeling the food & water supply chain issues up North as well. There is also a problem with the availability of accommodation in these places as so many Bangkokians are fleeing looking for places to stay. What people from outside Thailand have to realize is that there are 13 + million people living in Bangkok. When they evacuate they need a place to stay. They may be renting outside Bkk for months...many areas may be flooded for 4-6 weeks...noone really knows. Not to be an alarmist... but this is only the beginning of a very, very long story. I certainly hope the supply chain issues are able to be resolved soon.... but for now... I'd postpone traveling to Thailand if possible. Unless you have the budget for a 5 star hotel in Phuket or Chiang Mai.

Finally!!!! A travel "Alert" out of the U.S!! Sure took them long enough...

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_1766.html

THAILAND

October 27, 2011

This Travel Alert is being issued to alert U.S. citizens to difficulties related to travel in the flood-affected areas of the central and lower parts of northern Thailand, including Bangkok. Severe flooding has hampered transportation and limited access to some essential services in the affected regions. The U.S. Department of State recommends against all but essential travel to these areas of Thailand.  This Alert extends only to the areas of Thailand listed in the following paragraph. Most tourist destinations, such as Phuket and Chiang Mai, are unaffected by the current flooding.  Bangkok’s main international airport,Suvarnabhumi,is operating normally.  This Travel Alert will expire on January 26, 2012.

A series of particularly strong seasonal storms with exceptionally heavy rainfall have produced extensive flooding throughout many provinces in Thailand, causing significant damage and loss of life.  The flood waters are now affecting central and lower parts of northern Thailand.  The affected areas include metropolitan Bangkok and 20 additional provinces: Sukhothai, Pichit, Phitsanulok, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chainat, Singhburi, Angthong, Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Lopburi, Sara Buri, Nakhon Nayok, Pracheen Buri, Chacherngsao, Suphan Buri, Nakhon Pathom, Kamphang Peth, and Tak. 

The flooding is becoming more widespread in the outer Bangkok Metropolitan area. It is possible that portions of inner Bangkok may become flooded, particularly in areas along the Chao Phraya River. There are reports of shortages of bottled water and selected food items within the Bangkok metropolitan area, and it is possible that transportation and electric power could be disrupted. It is unclear how long these conditions will last, and U.S. citizens living in flood-affected areas should follow the advice of local authorities, monitor local media, and refer to the U.S. Embassy web page for specific information.

In many flooded areas surface transportation has either been suspended or diverted to other areas. Portions of highways are closed and bus and train services linking Bangkok with points to the north are suspended and some routes to the northeast have been diverted.  Don Muang Airport, which typically handles a number of domestic flights, is closed due to flooding.  Flights into and out of Don Muang Airport have either been canceled or diverted to Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok’s main international Airport. We recommend travelers check with their airlines for additional details.

U.S. citizens who travel to or reside in Thailand are strongly advised to enroll in the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). U.S. citizens without internet access may enroll directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By enrolling, you make it easier for the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to contact you in case of an emergency.

U.S. citizens living in Thailand should contact the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok for up-to-date information on any restrictions. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy (http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html) is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok, and can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049, or by e-mailing [email protected]. The Embassy’s after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-2-205-4000. The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai (http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service.html) is located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878. You can also follow the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok’s American Citizen Services Unit on Twitter for further updates.

Current information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States or a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444 for callers from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

After a blessing from a Monk and maybe some black magic, it should hold any amount of water. :unsure:

I live in Talad Noi next to the river and for the past 2 weeks i have watched store owners choose between bricks & mortar or sandbags. We have been flooded for the past 2 days ,and the results are in. Bricks & mortar 99% success, haphazard sandbags 99% failure

Thank you so much for posting Farang Buddha... this is very interesting information!!! Wondering if anyone from Chiang Mai can also post on if they are feeling the food & water supply chain issues up North as well. There is also a problem with the availability of accommodation in these places as so many Bangkokians are fleeing looking for places to stay. What people from outside Thailand have to realize is that there are 13 + million people living in Bangkok. When they evacuate they need a place to stay. They may be renting outside Bkk for months...many areas may be flooded for 4-6 weeks...noone really knows. Not to be an alarmist... but this is only the beginning of a very, very long story. I certainly hope the supply chain issues are able to be resolved soon.... but for now... I'd postpone traveling to Thailand if possible. Unless you have the budget for a 5 star hotel in Phuket or Chiang Mai.

the unknown quantity is how much of the shortages is due to panic buying. If there's one thing guaranteed to make people panic buy and stock up, it's a warning that stocks will run low if people panic buy. I remember petrol stations in the UK running dry because of the threat of a fuel blockade, even though there wasn't any actual blockade.

And of course, if people have been buying food to last 2 or 3 weeks, they won't be buying so much over the next 2 or 3 weeks as they've already got food for the period.

As for the impact on hotel rooms, we'll know a lot more after the weekend. People will head back to Bangkok as soon as they can, so unless the whole city is unihabitable for 4-6 weeks, people will not be staying away that long.

Nothing on the U.S embassy site at all!
????

1. This Travel Alert is being issued to alert U.S. citizens todifficulties related to travel in the flood-affected areas of thecentral and lower parts of northern Thailand, including Bangkok. Severeflooding has hampered transportation and limited access to someessential services in the affected regions. The U.S. Department ofState recommends against all but essential travel to the affected areas.This Travel Alert extends only to the areas of Thailand listed in thefollowing paragraph. Most tourist destinations, such as Phuket andChiang Mai, are unaffected by the current flooding. Bangkok's maininternational airport, Suvarnabhumi, is operating normally. This TravelAlert will expire on January 26, 2012.

2. A series of particularly strong seasonal storms with exceptionallyheavy rainfall have produced extensive flooding throughout manyprovinces in Thailand, causing significant damage and loss of life. Theflood waters are now affecting central and lower parts of northernThailand. The affected areas include metropolitan Bangkok and 20additional provinces: Sukhothai, Pichit, Phitsanulok, Nakhon Sawan,Uthai Thani, Chainat, Singhburi, Angthong, Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani,Nonthaburi, Lopburi, Sara Buri, Nakhon Nayok, Pracheen Buri,Chacherngsao, Suphan Buri, Nakhon Pathom, Kamphang Peth, and Tak.

3. The flooding is becoming more widespread in the outer BangkokMetropolitan area. It is possible that portions of inner Bangkok maybecome flooded, particularly in areas along the Chao Phraya River.There are reports of shortages of bottled water and selected food itemswithin the Bangkok metropolitan area, and it is possible thattransportation and electric power could be disrupted. It is unclear howlong these conditions will last, and U.S. citizens living inflood-affected areas should follow the advice of local authorities,monitor local media, and refer to the U.S. Embassy web page for specificinformation.

4. In many flooded areas surface transportation has either beensuspended or diverted to other areas. Portions of highways are closedand bus and train services linking Bangkok with points to the north aresuspended and some routes to the northeast have been diverted. DonMuang Airport, which typically handles a number of domestic flights, isclosed due to flooding. Flights into and out of Don Muang Airport haveeither been canceled or diverted to Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok's maininternational Airport. We recommend travelers check with their airlinesfor additional details.

5. U.S. citizens who travel to or reside in Thailand are stronglyadvised to enroll in the State Department's Smart Traveler EnrollmentProgram (STEP). U.S. citizens without internet access may enrolldirectly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By enrolling, youmake it easier for the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to contact you in caseof an emergency.

6. U.S. citizens living in Thailand should contact the U.S. Embassy inBangkok for up-to-date information on any restrictions. The AmericanCitizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy(http://bangkok.usemb...ov/service.html) is located at 95 WirelessRoad in Bangkok, and can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049, or bye-mailing [email protected]. The Embassy's after-hours emergencytelephone number is 66-2-205-4000. The U.S. Consulate General in ChiangMai (http://chiangmai.usc...ov/service.html) is located at 387Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai. The American Citizen Services Unit ofthe Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and bye-mail at [email protected]. The after-hours emergency telephone numberis 66-81-881-1878. You can also follow the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok'sAmerican Citizen Services Unit on Twitter for further updates.7. Current information on safety and security can also be obtained bycalling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States or a regular tollline at 1-202-501-4444 for callers from other countries. These numbersare available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday throughFriday (except U.S. federal holidays).

Edited by Suradit

Suradit

Posted Today, 18:56

Nothing on the U.S embassy site at all!

????

1. This Travel Alert is being issued to alert U.S. citizens todifficulties related to travel in the flood-affected areas of thecentral and lower parts of northern Thailand, including Bangkok. Severeflooding has hampered transportation and limited access to someessential services in the affected regions. The U.S. Department ofState recommends against all but essential travel to the affected areas

Hello Suradit ~ This post was started on Oct. 25th when there was no travel alert issued by the U.S and it was really frustrating me! It was finally issued two days ago and I wrote this in a post that is now further up this thread.

Finally!!!! A travel "Alert" out of the U.S!! Sure took them long enough...

http://travel.state....pa/pa_1766.html

THAILAND

October 27, 2011

This Travel Alert is being issued to alert U.S. citizens to difficulties related to travel in the flood-affected areas of the central and lower parts of northern Thailand, including Bangkok. Severe flooding has hampered transportation and limited access to some essential services in the affected regions. The U.S. Department of State recommends against all but essential travel to these areas of Thailand. This Alert extends only to the areas of Thailand listed in the following paragraph. Most tourist destinations, such as Phuket and Chiang Mai, are unaffected by the current flooding. Bangkok’s main international airport,Suvarnabhumi,is operating normally. This Travel Alert will expire on January 26, 2012.

A series of particularly strong seasonal storms with exceptionally heavy rainfall have produced extensive flooding throughout many provinces in Thailand, causing significant damage and loss of life. The flood waters are now affecting central and lower parts of northern Thailand. The affected areas include metropolitan Bangkok and 20 additional provinces: Sukhothai, Pichit, Phitsanulok, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chainat, Singhburi, Angthong, Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Lopburi, Sara Buri, Nakhon Nayok, Pracheen Buri, Chacherngsao, Suphan Buri, Nakhon Pathom, Kamphang Peth, and Tak.

The flooding is becoming more widespread in the outer Bangkok Metropolitan area. It is possible that portions of inner Bangkok may become flooded, particularly in areas along the Chao Phraya River. There are reports of shortages of bottled water and selected food items within the Bangkok metropolitan area, and it is possible that transportation and electric power could be disrupted. It is unclear how long these conditions will last, and U.S. citizens living in flood-affected areas should follow the advice of local authorities, monitor local media, and refer to the U.S. Embassy web page for specific information.

In many flooded areas surface transportation has either been suspended or diverted to other areas. Portions of highways are closed and bus and train services linking Bangkok with points to the north are suspended and some routes to the northeast have been diverted. Don Muang Airport, which typically handles a number of domestic flights, is closed due to flooding. Flights into and out of Don Muang Airport have either been canceled or diverted to Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok’s main international Airport. We recommend travelers check with their airlines for additional details.

U.S. citizens who travel to or reside in Thailand are strongly advised to enroll in the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). U.S. citizens without internet access may enroll directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By enrolling, you make it easier for the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to contact you in case of an emergency.

U.S. citizens living in Thailand should contact the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok for up-to-date information on any restrictions. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy (http://bangkok.usemb...ov/service.html) is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok, and can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049, or by e-mailing [email protected]. The Embassy’s after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-2-205-4000. The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai (http://chiangmai.usc...ov/service.html) is located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878. You can also follow the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok’s American Citizen Services Unit on Twitter for further updates.

Current information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States or a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444 for callers from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

You must have missed it~ ;)

Edited by jaiyen17

Surely there is enough information on line these days for most people to make up there own minds about visiting BKK without being 'advised' not to do so by the FCO or well meaning friends? Government warnings are, in,my experience of earning a living in the hotspots of the Middle East for the past 30 odd years have shown that personal research is best, unless of course FCO directives are likely to nullify insurance cover, if that is relevant in the decision making process.

When airlines stop flying into places then that's the best indicator not to visit. Having said that Beirut was pretty hairy even with the airport open most of the time towards the end of the civil war. The floods are tragic and are causing terrible hardship to the ordinary Thais yes, but for most people the water is not life threatening. How did the stoic Thais cope with the floods of 50 years ago? Your friend should go ahead with his visit and spend lots of money to help the country!

Surely there is enough information on line these days for most people to make up there own minds about visiting BKK without being 'advised' not to do so by the FCO or well meaning friends? Government warnings are, in,my experience of earning a living in the hotspots of the Middle East for the past 30 odd years have shown that personal research is best, unless of course FCO directives are likely to nullify insurance cover, if that is relevant in the decision making process.

I think warnings are good in the planning stages of trips, particularly as people might not know about potentially risky situations in certain parts of countries. They aren't a hugely useful source of information about temporary events.

There hasn't been a great deal of coverage in the press in the UK about the flooding, or on the tv news. TV only seemed interested when the predictions were that the city was about to be totally engulfed, but won't give a toss again until it actually happens.

Anyone who has missed the news reports (very easy to do) isn't likely to check the FCO pages on the off chance that something might be up, but it's obviously better that they do give advice.

In Lamphun there is no supply shortage of anything so far as I can tell, and indeed should not be.

The only thing I can't get are the big bottles of water, so having to get more costly 6 packs.

Re the OP, anyone frequenting the travel forums has known for ages about the flooding, and some official government warnings have been made some days ago about travel to Bkk and flooded areas, but not elsewhere in Thailand.