FROC Draws Flak As Civic Network Quits; Supplies Remain Untouched

webfact

FROC draws flak as civic network quits; supplies remain untouched

Kornchanok Raksaseri

The Nation

30168563-01.jpg

The Flood Relief Operations Centre (FROC) now does not just have to handle the flooding situation, but it has the additional task of managing the donated supplies.

Now that ThaiFlood, a large civic network, has pulled out, the media and the public are left wondering what will be done with the donated supplies.

Paramate Minsiri, chief of ThaiFlood, said his group had pulled out because FROC was refusing to tell the truth about the situation. FROC, on the other hand, said in a statement that ThaiFlood pulled out because its representatives were not allowed to take part in all the meetings.

However, Paramate countered that ThaiFlood was being discriminated against when it came to distributing supplies. He said that his group of volunteers did their best to hand out flood relief items to victims, they had to queue up for a long time, while the red-shirt groups were able to get their supplies much faster.

Sombat Boonngam-anong, leader of a red-shirt faction which, is helping distribute supplies, said his group would continue helping people regardless of their political affiliation, adding that the blame game should be set aside until the crisis has passed.

Meanwhile, many people have turned to members of the media like the Nation Group, Thai PBS and Channel 3 to either make donations or ask for necessities instead of contacting FROC.

One volunteer contacted an editor at The Nation asking for flat-bottomed boats.

Yesterday, a reporter publicised photographs of unused boats and piles of stocks being kept at the FROC headquarters in Don Mueang Airport. In response to this, a volunteer, who owns boats and trucks, contacted FROC offering to distribute the items to victims in hard-to-access areas. Initially, the volunteers were only given 100 sets, though more items were released after some strings were pulled.

In addition, people have also been questioning the morals of Pheu Thai politicians, after photographs showed trucks carrying banners promoting certain politicians and implying that the supplies had come from them and not the people.

However, MP Karun Hosakul, who is in charge of distributing the supplies donated to FROC, denied that any such banners had been put up. He said the distribution operation was transparent and simple, and that the distributors only had to identify the area and the group of recipients.

However, the media will continue to keep a close eye on the flood-relief process for as long as such banners are seen and the donations remain untouched.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-26

"One volunteer contacted an editor at The Nation asking for flat-bottomed boats.

Yesterday, a reporter publicised photographs of unused boats and piles of stocks being kept at the FROC headquarters in Don Mueang Airport. In response to this, a volunteer, who owns boats and trucks, contacted FROC offering to distribute the items to victims in hard-to-access areas. ...

However, the media will continue to keep a close eye on the flood-relief process for as long as such banners are seen and the donations remain untouched."

I think the nation is trying to score political points, rather then really help in that tragic situation.

the first sentence in the citation doesn't make sense in the context

Edited by londonthai

How shameful of an NGO to abandon the effort because they don't like the way they are being treated. I have little respect for them at this juncture. They need to rise above the situation and do the work that needs to be done.

There will be plenty of time for fighting after the crisis is over.

However, MP Karun Hosakul, who is in charge of distributing the supplies donated to FROC, denied that any such banners had been put up. He said the distribution operation was transparent and simple, and that the distributors only had to identify the area and the group of recipients.

The distribution operation is completely transparent. That's why there are so many photos of said banners.

How shameful of an NGO to abandon the effort because they don't like the way they are being treated. I have little respect for them at this juncture. They need to rise above the situation and do the work that needs to be done.

Funny, not a word about the FROC doing their job difficult. :rolleyes:

The NGO did not abandon the effort. They abandoned FROC so that they could actually help someone who needs it.

As long as Thaksin and his Red Shirt cronies are breathing, the division in Thai society will continue to grow.

What about the converse: as long as there are parties refusing to accept the results of a free and fair elections, the division in Thai society will continue to grow?

2 sides to every issue.

By the way, I am neither a Thaksin fan nor a fan of the pre-Thaksin status quo.:jap:

The distribution operation is completely transparent. That's why there are so many photos of said banners.

Karun is the disturbed personality who was famously photographed attacking an elderly Democrat MP in the parliament canteen with a flying kick. Definitely the kind of person a responsible government would put in charge of flood relief supplies.

As long as Thaksin and his Red Shirt cronies are breathing, the division in Thai society will continue to grow.

What about the converse: as long as there are parties refusing to accept the results of a free and fair elections, the division in Thai society will continue to grow?

2 sides to every issue.

By the way, I am neither a Thaksin fan nor a fan of the pre-Thaksin status quo.:jap:

Pray tell, who hasn't recognized the results of the last election?

Last time I checked the party that won the elections is in power now.

From the OP:

... In addition, people have also been questioning the morals of Pheu Thai politicians, after photographs showed trucks carrying banners promoting certain politicians and implying that the supplies had come from them and not the people. ...

I have no dog in this fight, but are they (the "Reds") really trying to take credit for donations in this way? That seems a pretty low thing to do, no matter what side your on. Surely (as the author alluded) there must be some photo/video evidence, can anybody link to something? Is this one isolated or ambiguous photo being spun politically, or is it a real effort by that group?

I'm not looking for flames here, I don't really care for either group myself - but I have dropped-off many thousands worth of food/supplies to various groups over the last couple of weeks, and I would like to see if something untoward is being done with them. Does anybody have links to the photo(s) in question? Or other evidence to share? Its so hard to tell these days who is spinning what, so I'll reserve judgement until I see something more than a single claim.

Obviously not happy with any donations that may have made its way into the hands of FROC "management". We can only hope that peoples donations eventually find their way into the hands of people who really need them.

Quite frankly who gives a shit who distributes what or whose face is stuck on it as long as people get help. And quite frankly right now political differences shouldnt be a reason to have a hissy fit and walk away. It might also be a good idea to relocate the aide distribution centre to a place where any vehicle can access it rather than just big trucks and boats as that must be the biggest actual hindrance in getting stuff out of flooded Don Muang. The people appointed to do things may not necessarily be the best to do so but nobody needs delays caused by changing personel right now and also quite frankly whetr someone is incompetent or brilliant, one thing is for sure if they have to waste their time responding to political hatchet attacks they sure dont become anything but worse at what they are doing. Now isnt the time for all this political crap but a time to work together.

Lets also not forget the Isaan is currently flooding and rivers there are bursting their banks, but hardly anything gets said

"What a clusterFROC" *cloudhopper

Quote of the day if not the entire week!

I see the NGO leaders lost out to a dick measuring contest with the FROC leaders, and worse losing aid supplies to the Red Political Hacks trying to make political points with the aid.

Aid needs to go to everyone in all directions as soon as possible. Not where it is most politically expedient or profitable.

Edited by animatic

Quite frankly who gives a shit who distributes what or whose face is stuck on it as long as people get help. And quite frankly right now political differences shouldnt be a reason to have a hissy fit and walk away. It might also be a good idea to relocate the aide distribution centre to a place where any vehicle can access it rather than just big trucks and boats as that must be the biggest actual hindrance in getting stuff out of flooded Don Muang. The people appointed to do things may not necessarily be the best to do so but nobody needs delays caused by changing personel right now and also quite frankly whetr someone is incompetent or brilliant, one thing is for sure if they have to waste their time responding to political hatchet attacks they sure dont become anything but worse at what they are doing. Now isnt the time for all this political crap but a time to work together.

Lets also not forget the Isaan is currently flooding and rivers there are bursting their banks, but hardly anything gets said

The groups aren't quitting because of political differences. They are quitting because of FROC's incompetence.

Maybe the people that are taking the time to put PT stickers and banners on supplies should be spending more time actually distributing the supplies.

With anxiety, confrontation and negativity spread by agents intent on denigrating the government. Hello Nation multimedia. Odd how the other "news" outlets are not as negative, but offer constructive criticism and hope.

Funny, not a word about the FROC doing their job difficult. :rolleyes:

I think the NGO is taking a different tack, since going this route is a dead end.

I very much doubt they are abandoning giving aid, just FROC aid.

The groups aren't quitting because of political differences. They are quitting because of FROC's incompetence.

Maybe the people that are taking the time to put PT stickers and banners on supplies should be spending more time actually distributing the supplies.

There are different stories as to why they are quitting. Who knows and who cares at this point. They should be spending time being there and working and not wasting it relocating and dividing things. Sure they shouldnt be putting on stickers and wasting time as poltical parties of all stripes in every crisis always do in their local areas.

2 sides to every issue.

And causing a total ClusterFROC all the while.

"However, MP Karun Hosakul, who is in charge of distributing the supplies donated to FROC, denied that any such banners had been put up."

Well that's it then, it can't be true, my eyes were playing tricks on me!

Pheu Thai MP Karun Hosakul to chair the House Committee on security affairs.

Karun is also a red-shirt leader facing myriad charges, including terrorism in connection with the last year's violence.

-- The Nation 2011-09-29

Who put the fox in charge of the hen-house?

Shame on FROC for kow-towing and attempting to create positive propaganda for the PTP......they need to understand that all Thai people deserve those supplies, not just red shirt sympathizers.

Edited by tominbkk

2 sides to every issue.

He's still living in the past....

"However, MP Karun Hosakul, who is in charge of distributing the supplies donated to FROC, denied that any such banners had been put up."

Well that's it then, it can't be true, my eyes were playing tricks on me!

Pheu Thai MP Karun Hosakul to chair the House Committee on security affairs.

Karun is also a red-shirt leader facing myriad charges, including terrorism in connection with the last year's violence.

-- The Nation 2011-09-29

Who put the fox in charge of the hen-house?

Indeed, looks like I'll have to book an appointment to get my lenses changed bah.gif I thought I saw a convoy take off from Nong Bua Lam Phu two days ago with the banners displayed.

Oh wait, maybe it's K. Karun who needs the lenses...