Toyota V8 Exhaust Pipes Length/Size

also,

it seems to me that the engine is warmer now compared to before it dived into the klong

the oil cooler and its hoses feels warmer than before,

this is just by feel of hand and by no means accurate,

but both the mechanic and I got the same feeling

hmmm

advice needed;

anyone know where I can go to have my ECU checked/fixed?

or where new ones can be purchased?

as far as I have gathered there are at least 3 versions of 1UZFEs around,

some with hydraulically driven radiator fan

some with electrically driven radiator fan

some with belt driven radiator fan

my 1UZFE has a belt driven fan

could anybody guess what car it comes from?

RPM signal;

I have problems getting the RPM gauge/meter to work.

Its a KUS (Wema) meter, pre-programmed to benzin, 8 cylinders, 4-stroke.

Where on the 1UZFE do I find the proper signal?

Thanks for any help.

The ECU, I'd say.

Regarding the ECU not working, I was worried this would be the case.

Find the part number of the ECU and google it. You should get plenty of information.

RPM signal;

Thanks for any help.

The ECU, I'd say.

Find the part number of the ECU and google it. You should get plenty of information.

Right, was afraid you would suggest the ECU.

Probably a good place to find the RPM signal. But there are just SO many cables going in/out of the ECU.

We'll see what i can google with the part number.

Haven't been near the boat the last few days, been busy trying to track down sparkplug cables.

What a laugh, Toyota doesn't stock sparkplug cables for 1UZFE in Thailand.

RPM signal;

Thanks for any help.

The ECU, I'd say.

Right, was afraid you would suggest the ECU.

Probably a good place to find the RPM signal. But there are just SO many cables going in/out of the ECU.

We'll see what i can google with the part number.

Haven't been near the boat the last few days, been busy trying to track down sparkplug cables.

What a laugh, Toyota doesn't stock sparkplug cables for 1UZFE in Thailand.

You should check out some speed shops. They should have anything you want for this engine.

Want some links?

edit: RPM signal source: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8261

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

found plag cable set 2 days ago, (after market), 1500 baht

Toyota charges 10 000 baht for a new set

found a couple of places that sell after market ECUs, the sell for between 4000 and 7000 baht

Toyota charges about 75 000 for an ECU

the shops didn't have ECUs with the same partnumber as mine, not sure how important that is though

so will search more

tried out the "new" plug cable for cylinder one yesterday,

interesting, the problem has grown, now there are 3 cylinders misfiring, no 1, no 3 and no 2

seems I will be out of the bars for yet another good while

perhaps I should just get a new engine, they go for 25 to 30 grand

cables, new oil, new filters, new ECU, the mechanic is cheap but not free, its all adding up,

also I have to keep the engine in the boat now and tow the boat to and from the mechanic each day he works on it, thats about a 1000/day

(can't have the engine in the mechanic's workshop at Koh Kred in these flood prone times)

3 days ago the Chao Praya waterlevel was 30 centimeter below the oilsump, put the engine back in the boat yesterday

1UZFEs are plentifull in the 2nd hand market, challenge is to find a good one

Fuel/Benzin:

All gas stations I have been to so far only sell gasohol or benzin/gasohol mixes.

Are there gas stations that sell 91-benzin or 95-benzin (without the mixed in gasohol?)?

That's a tough animal to find these days. I know of none around the BKK area, but there's bound to be someone on the motor forum that may. Sorry I could not be of any help.

There are plenty of petrol stations who still sell benzin 91 and 95. There is a PTT on Nawamin Rd, close to the intersection with Ram Inthra that sells benzin 95. Some Caltex stations still sell this, too. Bensin 91 is even easier to find.

ESSO and nearly all PTT still sell bensin 91.

However, you do not need this for your 1UZ. It will run no probs on Gasahol 95. Anybody that tells you otherwise is wrong.

I have been running my '95 Audi S6 consistently for years on it without issues. E20 is a no go though, without some mods.

If you want to play safe, just change your fuel lines to E20 rated hoses.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

Sure it runs on gasohol, I just have the idea that pure benzin would offer better performance.

Have been to a bunch of PTTs, no benzin.

Would try Esso next, if I can find one within TukTuk distance from the river.

BTW,

read in the newspaper the other day that production of pure benzin is on its way out in LoS.

Sure it runs on gasohol, I just have the idea that pure benzin would offer better performance.

BTW,

read in the newspaper the other day that production of pure benzin is on its way out in LoS.

No real benefit in running pure bensin. I alternated between bensin 95 and gasahol 95. Could not really notice a real difference in power/consumption. Technically there is, but is is very small.

Strange you cannot find bensin.

Just run Gas 95 and be done with it. BTW, if you get a BangChak gasahol card, you can save points which you can trade in for discount later. 1000points is 200baht discount. You get 1 point per liter.

Very good sight that lextreme.com which I was pointed to.

Found the necessary info there to get my RPM gauge up and running.

(the way to connect is not really something one could just think out for one self)

Of course, as soon as the RPM thing was up and running this afternoon, my oil pressure gauges stopped working they way they should.

Am doing a lot of chrome stuff and hardware screwing on the boat the next few days.

Have now sorted out the canopy.

And will have 3 automatic bilge pumps installed. (don't fancy having the boat sink on me again)

Expect I will have the engine back in on Saturday or Sunday next week.

Then its time to try to obtain a Tabian Ruua.

BTW,

No real benefit in running pure bensin. I alternated between bensin 95 and gasahol 95. Could not really notice a real difference in power/consumption. Technically there is, but is is very small.

Strange you cannot find bensin.

Just run Gas 95 and be done with it. BTW, if you get a BangChak gasahol card, you can save points which you can trade in for discount later. 1000points is 200baht discount. You get 1 point per liter.

Gasohol is an oxygenated fuel blend that has slightly less energy content per volume than pure benzine. If your closed loop fuel dellivery system (with oxygen sensor) is operating fine, there should be no difference in power comparing pure benzine to a gasohol blend of the same octane. The fuel system will automatically adjust to add slightly more gasohol to the injectors to match with the amount of oxygen gas entering through the intake manifold. As expected, you will get slightly less mileage though.

I've given up trying to find stations that offer pure 95 benzine. As already stated, 95 gasohol is fine, but it does depend on the quality. I've had some bad tanks that makes the engine ping/detonate, which will then cause a slight loss of power. My preferred 95 gasohol vendor is Caltex, but PTT has been fine as well.

Edited by SoCalChris

I stand corrected after some research.....the yellow Caltex pump is pure 95 benzine/gasoline, which is what I use regularly. I asked the Caltex attendant once and he mistakenly said the yellow pump was gasohol. It makes sense since I can make it all the way up to Sisaket on one tank of Caltex, while 95 PTT gasohol always requires a top-off before arrival.

I guess it doesn't matter after Jan 2013 though..... sad.png

I stand corrected after some research.....the yellow Caltex pump is pure 95 benzine/gasoline, which is what I use regularly. I asked the Caltex attendant once and he mistakenly said the yellow pump was gasohol. It makes sense since I can make it all the way up to Sisaket on one tank of Caltex, while 95 PTT gasohol always requires a top-off before arrival.

I guess it doesn't matter after Jan 2013 though..... sad.png

It is harder to find bensin 95 nowadays, that is true. However, it costs 48.50 baht a liter. IMO not worth it compared to gas 95 at 37.63.

Not all Caltex stations have bensin 95 anymore.

I always fill at Bangchak if I can, because of the points saving. My mileage is pretty consistent. Bad. Anywhere from 350km per tank (65L) to 450km, depending on city/highway driving and how heavy I step on it.

The 1UZ is known for being not too bad on consumption, for a 4L V8.

• 5 weeks later...

been extremely busy lately,

after I earlier said that the engine was smooth as ever, that only lasted for a couple of days

then it started to intermittently fail on 1 and 2 cylinders.

the mechanic worked on it a lot, to no avail, he is good at everything exept the electronics

he checked the fuel system/injectors in detail, all fine

ended up hiring a Toyota technician who went over the electronics and the cabling,

he found some faulty cabling

he cleaned out all cables not needed from the ECU

he tested the ECU and the cabling

he found a spark plug cable that failed intermittently

he also found two spark plugs (brand new NGK Iridium plugs) that failed intermittently

an expensive 3 hours, but worth it.

since then it has been smooth sailing

after the Toyota chap sorted out the mill

I decided to do some fixing up of things rather than start using the boat heavily

had some deckhardware tailormade

installed a series of bilge pumps and auto start switches for the pumps

(to cable things in those boats ain't easy if you want ut to look reasonably OK)

also took off a bunch of parts and hardware and chromed it

the boat is now shaping up

put the mill back in early Monday this week

the boat is FAST

at 2000 revs it does about 22 knots

at 3000 revs it does about 32 knots

have tried it over some stretches at 4000 revs, (the mill has still plenty to give, the pedal is not close to the floor at 4000),

then its really flying

dunno how fast, I only have a small handheld garmin GPS for hiking purposes,

and at that speed (4000 revs) I don't feel like taking my eyes off the road ahead

its so much crap in Chao Praya and hitting something hard at that speed could easily damage the bottom

haven't gone past 4000 yet

need somebody in the boat with me to call out or at least note down the speed,

or maybe hold the GPS in front of me

will install a proper boat speedo later this week, one which is GPS based and that gives speed over ground in knots

and the course over ground

it is great FUN to play around with it

the mechanic is quite impressed by the speed and the way it accelerates

he has tried several similar boats with 1UZ before

although I have no idea what the top speed will be

(need to find some flat water for that)

I am getting reasonably sure that I have the fastes boat on the river

(even before I start experimenting with alternative screws, like cupped 3 blade screws with incremental pitch etc)