Toyota V8 Exhaust Pipes Length/Size

hmmm, quiet here

have just got myself a new gearbox, a bit more heavy duty than the current one.

the current is a lightweight Isuzu box, last week I got hold of a Mazda fairly heavy duty one.

have bought a new drive shaft, diameter increased from 7/8 in to 1 in

and also a 14 in screw

will take some time to assemble the stuff, make the drive shaft tube and the wooden bearings

looking forward to test out this

my main concern is not really the top speed,

but being able to drive in full plane below 20 knots, especially when the boat is loaded

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

did you purchase one ?

Melvin, do you know if the prices for a 1UZ w/ trans and ECUs is still in the 25-30k range?

hi,

sorry for late reply

yes, that is the normal going rate at 2nd hand shops

Thanks.

Nope, not yet. I decided to spend my money on converting my Audi 80 2.slow auto FWD to 1.8 Turbo quattro manual.biggrin.png

Very fun car now.

The V8 dream will come later. We want a VW T4 van first for camping.

a 1UZ just might fit in an Audi 80,

many old/small BMWs in BKK run 1UZ fwd<>rwd or vive versa, just a challenge

btw

couple of weeks ago I spotted a nice lookin 1UZ at chiang gong Rangsit,

they wanted 20 000 for it

that was the best looking 1UZ I have ever seen, and I have seen many,

absolutely clean and scratchless

20k ain 't expensive, run and buy

• Like 1

btw

It might fit, but if going V8 I would rather stay in the family. There are a few Audi V8 engines around.

Besides, I am preparing to switch back to E85 again this week and after I get my tune right, will be upping the boost to 14psi.

A bigger turbo will then be in the future. Thinking to go for a TD04HL-13G.

The car is hilarious already with 150hp, 225hp will make it even better.

good one,

need to dig out some data to use that one . . .

btw

It might fit, but if going V8 I would rather stay in the family. There are a few Audi V8 engines around.

Besides, I am preparing to switch back to E85 again this week and after I get my tune right, will be upping the boost to 14psi.

hmm,

sure there are Audi V8s around and some good Benz V8s etc.

But where would you look for those? Import from US or Germany ? Or buy new from a brand name dealer?

btw

hmm,

sure there are Audi V8s around and some good Benz V8s etc.

But where would you look for those? Import from US or Germany ? Or buy new from a brand name dealer?

If I would get an Audi V8 it would be through the same garage that converted my 80.

Otherwise, down at ChiangKong BangNa.

I would NEVER EVER try to buy something like that from the Thai Audi dealer.

They are complete idiots.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Been to Chiang Gong in Bang Pli (I guess you mean?),

the big one on BangNa - Trat km 12 ?

Seen some good engines there, but never a Benz/Audi or BMW V8,

what would you expect to pay for an Audi V8?

Yes, that's the one. If you could find an Audi V8, it will probably come with the trans. Expect to pay 100k+.

Strange you cannot find any MB V8s. There should be a few of those around.

The shop that did my conversion work actually have two Benz V12 engines with transmissions. He want 120k+ for those.

Guys, in your travels looking for engines have you seen anywhere an LS 1,2 or 3 GM engine. I have tried walking China town twice and never found any SH engine place.

You would have to specially import those. What do mean with SH engine place?

US V8s command high prices here. Cheapest I have ever seen was a 327 long block that looked more like a boat anchor. Seller wanted 35k.

If you are desperate for US iron, get a clapped out G20 van for 350k and rip out the Chevy small block and trans. Maybe the rear axle, too

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, that's the one. If you could find an Audi V8, it will probably come with the trans. Expect to pay 100k+.

The shop that did my conversion work actually have two Benz V12 engines with transmissions. He want 120k+ for those.

Guys, in your travels looking for engines have you seen anywhere an LS 1,2 or 3 GM engine. I have tried walking China town twice and never found any SH engine place.

US V8s command high prices here. Cheapest I have ever seen was a 327 long block that looked more like a boat anchor. Seller wanted 35k.

If you are desperate for US iron, get a clapped out G20 van for 350k and rip out the Chevy small block and trans. Maybe the rear axle, too

A Benz V12 would probably fit in the boat, that would be something.

The price is about the same as for a 2UZ. God knows why 2UZ is way more costly than a 1UZ.

The MB V12 is probably quite high rev, not so easy to handle in a boat.

Also would have to get rid of the automatic and fit a flywheelhousing with manual clutch and a matching gearbox.

Most boats I see use flywheelhousing from Isuzu CBD (a small 6 wheeler) and gear from a small Mazda 6 wheeler.

Hauled the engine a couple of weeks ago, put in a new starter and a high performance oil pump,

now the bugger wount start.

Its much positive to be said about and old fashioned US V8 mill without a thousand cables all over the place.

I'm rapidly becoming a ECU and cable/plug hater.

A Benz V12 would probably fit in the boat, that would be something.

The price is about the same as for a 2UZ. God knows why 2UZ is way more costly than a 1UZ.

The MB V12 is probably quite high rev, not so easy to handle in a boat.

Also would have to get rid of the automatic and fit a flywheelhousing with manual clutch and a matching gearbox.

Most boats I see use flywheelhousing from Isuzu CBD (a small 6 wheeler) and gear from a small Mazda 6 wheeler.

Hauled the engine a couple of weeks ago, put in a new starter and a high performance oil pump,

now the bugger wount start.

Its much positive to be said about and old fashioned US V8 mill without a thousand cables all over the place.

I'm rapidly becoming a ECU and cable/plug hater.

Don't want to start an argument, but the Benz V12 is a torque monster. Instatorque from 1000rpm. 6 liters, remember?

An EFI engine on a boat can be very sensitive. Salt water is the nemesis of electronics.

I'd say stick with your 1UZ. Its light and smooth.

BTW, any chance you would consider building a hydrafoil boat? Now that would be hilarious.

• 7 months later...

In BKK, Bang Kon Tien (BKK Sea Side) there is a wat by the name Wat Hua Krabuu.

The chief monk is a old car nut. There are lots and lots of vintage cars in the temple grounds. Some in fairly good condition.

Mostly European cars (many Benz'es) as far as I remember, but maybe also some American ones, can't remember.

Could be worth a visit though.

(anyway, nice trip combined with a seaside sea food meal)

Thought I'd pick up on this thread again.

Have a new drive shaft now, 1 inch diameter, and new prop, 14 inch.

With that, also a new gearbox. Now a Mazda gearbox, (before Isuzu).

Keen to test that combination out.

Engine is currently on dryland. Awaiting some woodwork completion and outside painting.

Not really hoping for increased speed and/or acceleration, but hoping to be able to run the boat in plane at lower speeds.

Hopefully the 2 inch increase in prop diameter will offer enough surface area in the vertical plane to allow this.

Also have a completely new exhaust system. Will see if I can post a pic of that.

Managed!

A reasonable pic of the engine.

The dark bue box in front of the exhaust is the oil cooler. Not a very good place for it, but when installed I was eager not to add any

height to the installation (very low small bridges etc).

(To compensate for the lousy placement I have 5 electrical fans behind the oil cooler whipping air through it.

You may see the rather big pipe and valves just behind the radiator.

This is for emergency cooling.

The cooling system is closed. Have 2 powerfull Bosch electrical fans behind the radiator. This arrangement suffices.

However, if one or both 12V fans break down I am in deep shit if I am not close to home.

Hence, have made an arrangement for pumping the river water straight through the engine, bypassing the radiator.

Just under the 09 in the date stamp you will see the top of the only marine thing in the engine installation.

You may see a round cover with 3 bolts or so. That is the top of the fuel filter (water and crap).

Its a proper filter arrangement for marine installations.

post-129716-0-55467800-1439100138_thumb.

Below you see the exhaust pipes in profile.

You may see a 90 degree pipe entering the rightmost pipe.

Its one such pipe for all 4 main pipes. I am pumping water into the pipes through these 90 degree things.

post-129716-0-56978100-1439100251_thumb.

Above you also see the flywheel housing and the gearbox.

Typical for these boats; off goes the automatic trans, flywheel housing and clutch from a small Isuzu truck (CBD?) is fitted, then a Mazda gearbox is added.

(the Isuzu box ain't strong enough, so they say)

The bolt extending from the flywheel housing is the adjuster for the clutch.

Here you will see where/how the engine is fastened to the boat (swivel).

On the purple steel you will see one small hole without a bolt in it. Thats it. One 16mm bolt on each side holds the engine.

post-129716-0-69300400-1439102095_thumb.

Below you will see the 5 fans at the back of the oil cooler, (about 25 W each).

I am very happy with the coolant temperature, not above 93 celcius. The two fans on the radiator start at about 92 celcius.

Not so happy with the oil temp, close to 10 % higher than the coolant. Not to my fancy. Maybe I'll try and relocate the cooler. Or add another small one.

You will also see a yellow plastic thing right above the gearbox. That is the handle of an ordinary oil dipstick.

Have fitted that to the gearbox in order to easily measure the lube level. The gearbox gets incredibly hot and eats some oil.

post-129716-0-41213600-1439102338_thumb.

Not a very good pic but in the aft section, in the centre, you may see a grey arm bent upwards in each end.

On this pic the upward bends are seen in the fore-aft direction.

That is the swivel arm to which the engine is bolted through the holes in the purple plating you saw above.

This arm rotates freely.

In the upward bends there are ball bearings inside which enables the engine to be tilted up and down.

post-129716-0-52871500-1439104658_thumb.

An interesting thing here, you see the white colour close to the water line?

This is some kind of betelnut "pudding" that is smeared onto the boat. The Thais call it pun daeng.

If the boat is not used for a week or so it grows in the waterline like shit. Not really barnacles but equally awfull.

You put on this pun daeng and the next day you just rinse it off (scrubbing not needed) and the waterline is clean.

It does not upset the paint.

I also use it on the bandai (wooden staircase) going down into the water.

Put on the pudding at low tide, then high tide, and when the water is going down again the stairs are clean.

Fantastic stuff, the cost is close to zilch.

Lots of elderly Thais (mostly women I think) chew betel nut stuff all day, wonder what they look like inside.

Great to see your project going strong. Been wondering for a while now.

How is your Thrust transfered to hull rather than the gearbox?.

On the pic above:

Do you see that grey swivel arm that is bent upwards in each end?

The fundament for that freely rotating swivel arm is bolted to the two orange wooden beams that run athwartships under the swivel arm.

Two bolts in each of the two beams. Thats it. The beams are roughly 4.5" by 4.5" hardwood.

(not so easy to see I guess, that pic is not very good for showing this)

Else; the driveshaft runs inside a steel tube with 6" long hardwood "bearings" for every 6" length, (the shaft is 175"long).

At the engine end a "cogwheel" of about 5" length is welded to the end of the driveshaft, where this is insrted into the gearbox there is a thrust bearing.

On the pic below you see the swivel arm from a slightly different angle.

If you enlarge the pic you should see the fundament for the swivel arm reletively clearly, (its painted grey).

And you should also be able to see the top of the 4 (1/2") bolts.

post-129716-0-60580700-1439177613_thumb.

We really need some video of the beast in action MM smile.png

How far up river are you? We're opposite Sam Khok with river frontage access (restaurant with a pontoon), maybe buzz up for a beer and a bite with some video (PM me).

How are you lubricating your hardwood bearings, water or something else?

How far up river are you? We're opposite Sam Khok with river frontage access (restaurant with a pontoon), maybe buzz up for a beer and a bite with some video (PM me).

Water in the driveshaft tube suffices as lubricant.

Sam Khok? Ratburana/Rama 3 thereabouts? If so, a fair way downstream from here.

I am in Klong Oom, Nonthaburi. (Bang Yai/Bang Bua Thong area.)

Klong Oom is the upper/northern part of Klong Bangkok Noi. (The southern end is in Phra Pin Klao, where the King has his boat museum.)

About 4-5 kilometers from where the Klong takes off from Chao Praya.

Or are you talking Sam Khok in Patum? Just south of Bang Sai?

Wee update on the engine:

Have done some fixes to the engine over the past year and a bit.

The starter packed in. Changed it. Rather than buying an old/awfull looking one from a scrapyard I bought a refurbished one from

a Toyota shop in UK. A friend brought it over.

It has bothered me that the oil pressure is a bit low for my liking.

Bought a new oil pump from a speed shop in the US. Had it sent to the UK and a friend brought it over.

This did wonders with the oil pressure.

(maybe the low pressure was partly due to a relatively large oil cooler with long and not small hoses)

Also, at last. Got all the spark plug leads changed. I don't buy leads from scrapyards. Just couldn't find leads in LoS,

and ordering from Japan didn't work out.

Finally; the Toyota shop in the UK hacked this. They had the leads in stock.

Opening up for changing oil pump;

At the same time; changed the water pump. (they say its a weak point on the 1UZ)

Also, changed the timing belt.

(that took time, some weeks before the engine was running properly again)

Actually, when changing the timing belt/oil pump; two independent faults occured, (nothing to do with pump or belt).

One electrical failure (mis connection and short circuit introduced by myself).

And a partly faulty fuel pump.

Its easy to think that a mistake has been made when changing the timing belt.

You don't really suspect fuel pumps and shorts.

(the short only appeared when the engine was in the boat, not when it was up in the workshop)

This fooled both me and my mechanic for a long time.