Tornado Off Jomtien And Pattaya Now

Awohalitsiktoli

Photo sent to me by a friend in Wong Amat: at 4:24 PM:

post-48397-0-15406600-1319622513_thumb.j

Very interesting, probably a water spout.

Sorry about the time mistake: not 4.24 am but 4.24 pm. In my mind they are all "twisters" or "tornadoes." Water spout sounds far too nice for what it actually is, but, yes, when over water people call it "water spout." It was a big one and lasted at least 15 minutes. Normally, because water is so heavy, it breaks up rapidly over water. It looked like it sat over the edge of the island for quite a bit. I hope nobody got hurt. I find it odd that they never seem to hit land in Jomtien or Pattaya. Thanks for that excellent picture.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

waterspout very common in Patts

Had it danced on top of your head you would no doubt not use the word "common." :) It really was a big, dangerous twister and it surprises me that they never hit Pattaya-Jomtien. If only the "twister" had decided to rent a jet ski from the scamers, it would have been the perfect meteorological event :)

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Had it danced on top of your head you would no doubt not use the word "common." :) It really was a big, dangerous twister and it surprises me that they never hit Pattaya-Jomtien. If only the "twister" had decided to rent a jet ski from the scamers, it would have been the perfect meteorological event :)

Hmm, yes waterspout. Very common round my way

Again, "very common." That sounds like a big yawn. That is interesting. I can tell that not one of you has had a real one go over your head and almost kill you and lift up a huge tree right in front of your eyes and throw it down a creek! Let me assure you, that gives you a different perspective on the "common" twister. I have seen cities that look like a giant lawn mower just passed through them. Make no mistake about it, they can be very dangerous. Thanks again to the posters who provided pics. Hopefully a really large one will not hit the mainland. But it would be nice to see one say hello to the jet ski robbers.

Complete nonsense! A lot of misinformation being "spouted" by fearmongers here…. these are common in Thailand and the tropics. There can be hundreds of these in any year.

The picture shown is non-tornadic type described in wiki,

They are according to wiki

"Not associated with a rotating updraft of a supercell thunderstorm. Waterspouts of this type rapidly develop and dissipate, having life cycles shorter than 20 minutes.[5] They usually rate no higher than EF0 on the Enhanced Fujita scale, generally exhibiting winds of less than 30 m/s (67 mi/h).[6] They typically move slowly, if at all, since the cloud they are attached to is horizontally static, being formed by vertical convective action instead of the subduction/adduction interaction between colliding fronts.[7][8] "

I googled "waterspout and death and Thailand" and was unable to find any evidence of anyone ever being injured.

Also, if you have verifiable information of any which have ever caused damage in Pattaya along with the relevant Szilagyi Waterspout Index (SWI), then please post it.

I am more worried about being injured by falling coconuts, as many people are killed every year globally this way, ……

I am going to get another can of beer from the fridge, while I decide whether or not to hide under my bed due to these fearmongers.

Again, "very common." That sounds like a big yawn. That is interesting. I can tell that not one of you has had a real one go over your head and almost kill you and lift up a huge tree right in front of your eyes and throw it down a creek! Let me assure you, that gives you a different perspective on the "common" twister. I have seen cities that look like a giant lawn mower just passed through them. Make no mistake about it, they can be very dangerous. Thanks again to the posters who provided pics. Hopefully a really large one will not hit the mainland. But it would be nice to see one say hello to the jet ski robbers.

Edited by tailspin

Please consider the possibility that so-called "water spouts" can be destructive. Do not run and try to get hit by one! Do not try to put your boat in its path! Do not tell your baby to go play with it! They are, obviously, similar to tornadoes. Water spouts can and often do move over land, causing their rotational velocity to increase. They are never as powerful as a land-based tornadoes because water is very heavy and slows down the rotation. I am surprised, given the number of water spouts here, that more do not move inland. Believe what you want. This site might help: http://webecoist.com/2009/08/03/70-viciously-twisted-tornadoes-and-waterspouts/

Photo sent to me by a friend in Wong Amat: at 4:24 PM:

post-48397-0-15406600-1319622513_thumb.j

Very interesting, probably a water spout.

Sorry about the time mistake: not 4.24 am but 4.24 pm. In my mind they are all "twisters" or "tornadoes." Water spout sounds far too nice for what it actually is, but, yes, when over water people call it "water spout." It was a big one and lasted at least 15 minutes. Normally, because water is so heavy, it breaks up rapidly over water. It looked like it sat over the edge of the island for quite a bit. I hope nobody got hurt. I find it odd that they never seem to hit land in Jomtien or Pattaya. Thanks for that excellent picture.

Don't worry. Waterspouts are not dangerous and they don't suck up water.

One post removed using oversize fonts. See the pinned posting Netiquette at the top of every page HERE

Thanks and no doubt the large font size was for me given that I know absolutely nothing about tornadoes over water :) Readers should know there is a lot of conflicting (totally wrong) information about them on the internet. For those who want some information that is based on science, you might want to follow the links below. Just know most of them are not dangerous, but some are dangerous. Take them seriously! The one that was offshore the other day was rather big and no doubt dangerous. I wonder if it caused damage on the island (no idea at this point).

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/apx/science/waterspouts/waterspouts.php

http://www.noaawatch.gov/themes/severe.php

http://www.floridadisaster.org/kids/boatSafety.htm

Whatis a waterspout? Awaterspout is a tornadoover water--usually meaning non-supercell tornadoes over water. Waterspoutsare common along the southeast U.S.coast--especially off southern Floridaand the Keys--and can happen over seas, bays and lakes worldwide. Althoughwaterspouts are always tornadoes by definition; they don't officially count intornado records unless they hit land. They are smaller and weaker than the mostintense Great Plains tornadoes, but still canbe quite dangerous. Waterspouts can overturn boats, damagelarger ships, do significant damage when hitting land, and kill people. The National Weather Service willoften issue special marine warnings when waterspouts are likely or have beensighted over coastal waters, or tornado warnings when waterspouts can move onshore.

So we are supposed to believe your information, and ignore the rest of the information available on the internet! Sorry not buying it! Tornadoes are obviously very dangerous, but this was NOT a tornado over water..it would have been a tornado if it had formed over land, was moving rapidly and went to sea, which I have never heard of in Thailand...the picture shown was non-tornadic, I repeat a waterspout is a static weather event, and unlike a tornado is

"Not associated with a rotating updraft of a supercellthunderstorm. Waterspouts of this type rapidly develop and dissipate, having life cycles shorter than 20 minutes.[5] They usually rate no higher than EF0 on the Enhanced Fujita scale, generally exhibiting winds of less than 30 m/s (67 mi/h).[6] They typically move slowly, if at all, since the cloud they are attached to is horizontally static, being formed by vertical convective action instead of the subduction/adduction interaction between colliding fronts.

This is scientific enough for most, and I am waiting for the fearmongers to provide the data requested to confirm how dangerous this is in Thailand

I will keep my eye out for falling coconuts which are much more dangerous

One post removed using oversize fonts. See the pinned posting Netiquette at the top of every page HERE

Thanks and no doubt the large font size was for me given that I know absolutely nothing about tornadoes over water :) Readers should know there is a lot of conflicting (totally wrong) information about them on the internet. For those who want some information that is based on science, you might want to follow the links below. Just know most of them are not dangerous, but some are dangerous. Take them seriously! The one that was offshore the other day was rather big and no doubt dangerous. I wonder if it caused damage on the island (no idea at this point).

http://www.crh.noaa....waterspouts.php

http://www.noaawatch...emes/severe.php

http://www.floridadi.../boatSafety.htm

Whatis a waterspout? Awaterspout is a tornadoover water--usually meaning non-supercell tornadoes over water. Waterspoutsare common along the southeast U.S.coast--especially off southern Floridaand the Keys--and can happen over seas, bays and lakes worldwide. Althoughwaterspouts are always tornadoes by definition; they don't officially count intornado records unless they hit land. They are smaller and weaker than the mostintense Great Plains tornadoes, but still canbe quite dangerous. Waterspouts can overturn boats, damagelarger ships, do significant damage when hitting land, and kill people. The National Weather Service willoften issue special marine warnings when waterspouts are likely or have beensighted over coastal waters, or tornado warnings when waterspouts can move onshore.

Edited by tailspin

I was watching it as well.

I swear I saw an ency Weensy spider crawl up it!

:sorry:

Surely it is past your bedtime :)

Do you actually know what time it is??? AM, PM dark o clock.......

A psychologist would no doubt find many of these posts interesting. For those who want to learn something about tornadoes, I suggest you go to a scientific source like NOAA.