Thais Face Drowning, Disease In Disastrous Floods

webfact

Thais face drowning, disease in disastrous floods

by Michelle Fitzpatrick

BANGKOK, October 26, 2011 (AFP) - Thais enduring the nation's worst floods in decades have faced marauding crocodiles and threat of snake bites and electrocution, but health experts say the top risks are drowning and disease.

Three months into a crisis that has ravaged the kingdom and is now encroaching on the capital Bangkok, conditions are ripe for a humanitarian disaster and aid agencies are racing to heighten awareness.

"You don't want to create mass panic," said Matthew Cochrane of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. "You need to find a balance between being alert and alarmed."

Inundated communities have been warned to watch out for poisonous snakes swimming in the murky floodwaters, as well as electrocution from submerged power points and dangling electricity cables.

Images of crocodiles being captured on Bangkok's outskirts, after escaping from flooded farms where they are bred commercially, have further rattled nerves.

Unusually heavy monsoon rains have swamped much of Thailand, killing more than 370 people and forcing vast numbers to seek refuge in shelters. The waters are now closing in on Bangkok's city centre where they could remain for weeks.

Experts say the priority is to maintain hygiene levels and aid agencies are trying to provide clean water and bathroom facilities -- including floating and collapsible latrines -- to tens of thousands of affected families.

"We're talking about basic sanitation: drinking water that's clean, washing your hands and making sure that areas where you wash and where you defecate are separated," Cochrane said.

"The general concern in any floods is water-borne diseases and mosquito-borne diseases," he added, warning there was often "an increased risk of malaria and dengue fever" in waterlogged areas.

Given the right precautions, a serious outbreak of flood-related disease is not inevitable, he said.

In a country where many cannot swim, the number one cause of death during the disaster has not been disease, but drowning, said Maureen Birmingham, the World Health Organisation's representative in Thailand.

"That's very concerning," she said. "One of the risk behaviours reported is fishing, so we urge people to take care with that."

Cochrane said Thais were generally well-educated on hygiene, which bodes well for epidemic prevention, but a recurring complaint among those affected is a lack of toilet facilities, especially in deeply submerged regions.

"The water came up to the toilet in my house," said Kusuma Glomjai, 34, who lives in a badly hit area of Pathum Thani province, just north of the capital.

"I can't use my toilet so I have to go to a relative's house across the road."

Others in her situation have resorted to defecating in plastic bags, while many other flood victims have voiced concern over the filthy water they are forced to wade through.

"I have no choice. But when I get home, I wash myself," said Surapol Pinpol, 57, as he stood in chest-deep brown water in Pathum Thani.

Birmingham said communicable diseases such as conjunctivitis could spread easily among evacuees, as well as fungal infections of the skin and leptospirosis, a bacterial infection spread through contaminated water.

Cases of skin infections, especially athlete's foot, already number in the thousands, according to Thai health ministry which has deployed mobile medical teams to flood-stricken areas that have treated over half a million people.

Birmingham said hygiene kits, water and sanitation facilities were a top priority but admitted it was "very challenging" to deliver them to all of those of need.

With millions of homes and livelihoods damaged across the country, the impact on mental health is increasingly as worrying as physical damage.

The government said it has set up special mental health units across various provinces and dispatched teams of psychiatrists and psychologists to help almost 100,000 people thought to be suffering from flood-related stress.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-26

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Cochrane said Thais were generally well-educated on hygiene"

Obviously the esteemed Mr Cochrane has never had to stop at a pertol station in Thailand to have a cr*p.......:whistling:

But on more serious note....water borne disease is a real and serious possbility in the aftermath of the flooding...

Edited by Soutpeel

Wonder if he's using the relative's toilet, or just taking a dump in the house.

"Cochrane said Thais were generally well-educated on hygiene,"

True they generally face away from traffic while urinating in public.

The government said it has set up special mental health units across various provinces and dispatched teams of psychiatrists and psychologists to help almost 100,000 people thought to be suffering from flood-related stress.

If the psychiatrists really want to help they would have the PM committed, that would lower nationwide stress. Better than helping people confront their feelings about being thirsty and helping them realize why they suddenly have abandonment issues.

Food, water, shelter, medical treatment. Once that is taken care of move onto treating their mental health.

Psychiatrists and psychologists??? Those stupid id__ts should rather have hundreds of medical health unists ready to deal with the infectious diseases like cholera that are most likely to occur when the water starts going down...

Edited by Swiss1960

The negativity on these forums is astounding. Actually, yes, the Thais do have pretty good hygiene standards. Most of them shower three times a day for a start. And for anyone from the UK, at least you can get in a lift in an apartment building in Thailand without it stinking of piss.

Sure, there are people who work on the streets, be them motorbike taxis or food stall cooks who don't have much choice but I'm sure they'd use a public toilet if it was available.

The problem with this flood situation is that for many people working toilets won't be available. And that is a worrying dangerous situation.

The problem with this flood situation is that for many people working toilets won't be available. And that is a worrying dangerous situation.

Absolutely true! When the water will finally go down and the sun will be shining, Thailand will have all the mud from the water on the streets and this will be a humid and hot climate... the best breeding climate for all germs and viruses.

That's why I said that this government acts abolutely irresponsible when they send mental health units out instead of medical disease units!

Psychiatrists and psychologists??? Those stupid id__ts should rather have hundreds of medical health unists ready to deal with the infectious diseases like cholera that are most likely to occur when the water starts going down...

Not too good at reading, are you. :annoyed:

If you actually read all the words instead of scanning it you'll see that it says there are already teams of medical workers in action. In addition to this the aspect of stress and emotional fatigue is also a concern and so there is also counselling occurring.

R

Edited by robsamui

Absolutely true! When the water will finally go down and the sun will be shining, Thailand will have all the mud from the water on the streets and this will be a humid and hot climate... the best breeding climate for all germs and viruses.

That's why I said that this government acts abolutely irresponsible when they send mental health units out instead of medical disease units!

But it is complete in line with all the other government actions.

I just hope for thailands sake that someone somewhere has the brains to be ready for

when the flood water goes down?

All the deseases that are going to come later is a worry, I think many people will die or be ill

for a long time.

One can only hope Thailands government will ask for some help before then,

save face or save your own people

This will be yinglucks decisicion one can only hope she chooses the latter!!!

What a tragic and needless waste of life the drownings are. In Australia last year, an area the size of Western Europe was flooded and only one elderly lady drowned.

THe drownings in Thailand every time it floods can be prevented. My 34 year old Thai wife is terrified of the water and cannot swim.

My 4 and 6 year old nieces love the beach when I take them from Surin, but cannot swim and are not taught at school or elsewhere. Amongst many other things,

the Thai government needs to look at compulsory swimming lessons at schools. I agree with comments about the recently elected PM -

what a shame so many thais voted her in on looks and name, rather than whether she actually had any clue on what it takes to run a country. Sadly, many Thais

are suffering as a result of politicial naivety. A lesser man than Abhisit would have come out already and said " I told you so."

Many hope all the comments here are positive and helpful to all our friends, both Thai and the expats living in the Kingdom. Now is not the time for recriminations or political vendettas.

Australia suffered immeasurable damage from its floods; Japan has hundreds of square kilometers of nuclear polluted areas, unlivable for centuries; The Mississippi ran wide and destroyed hundreds of square miles of cities and farms; Turkey just had and earthquake; The Philippines are a wasteland ... the list is long.

Come on people, let's work together.

Edited by thaigold

The negativity on these forums is astounding. Actually, yes, the Thais do have pretty good hygiene standards. Most of them shower three times a day for a start. And for anyone from the UK, at least you can get in a lift in an apartment building in Thailand without it stinking of piss.

Sure, there are people who work on the streets, be them motorbike taxis or food stall cooks who don't have much choice but I'm sure they'd use a public toilet if it was available.

Nice to read your intelligent and balanced comments regularly, Richard.

Whatever they say or do, they can't win can they...............

Thais are the worst for personal hygiene I've known anywhere in the world. I think Mr. Cochrane might be referring to the fact that people here take showers reguarly. However, washing hands after going to the toilet or washing hands before preparing food is hardly done. Thais also don't clean surfaces properly before preparing food and use the same knife to cut a raw piece of meat then a cooked piece causing cross contamination. Vegetables are also never usually washed on street stalls and hardly cooked long enough to kill all bacteria especially raw ones served with some noodles or roast pork. Countless times I've found earth on lettuce or tomatoes. Really, Thais know nothing about hygiene and nor do they seem to understand the concept of it but rather take offence when you point it out to them.

If the psychiatrists really want to help they would have the PM committed, that would lower nationwide stress. Better than helping people confront their feelings about being thirsty and helping them realize why they suddenly have abandonment issues.

Food, water, shelter, medical treatment. Once that is taken care of move onto treating their mental health.

I needed a good laugh today....your post got me there.

Cheers

Unfortunately (beacuse I live here and married a Thai) I have to agree with the comments about Thais being unhygienic. Have lost count of the number of times I have seen a food vendor taking a piss by the side of his stall, only to go straight back to preparing food with his bare hands. This in central Bangkok let alone the outer provinces. Its not the secret Thai spices on that road side chicken that gives the unique taste folks...

Do you feel better now?

Thais are the worst for personal hygiene I've known anywhere in the world. I think Mr. Cochrane might be referring to the fact that people here take showers reguarly. However, washing hands after going to the toilet or washing hands before preparing food is hardly done. Thais also don't clean surfaces properly before preparing food and use the same knife to cut a raw piece of meat then a cooked piece causing cross contamination. Vegetables are also never usually washed on street stalls and hardly cooked long enough to kill all bacteria especially raw ones served with some noodles or roast pork. Countless times I've found earth on lettuce or tomatoes. Really, Thais know nothing about hygiene and nor do they seem to understand the concept of it but rather take offence when you point it out to them.

Then you've not seen much of the world. While by no means perfect, Thailand and Thais are much cleaner than most of the third world. Esp. the women and esp. the food markets. You should check out sub-Sahara Africa, or India and Pakistan if you want to see dirty.

Edited by HerbalEd

"Sure, there are people who work on the streets, be them motorbike taxis or food stall cooks who don't have much choice but I'm sure they'd use a public toilet if it was available."

Hmmm...not so sure about that...regularly see Thai cooks and moto taxi drivers taking a leak by the road/against a fence when the nearest public toilet is only 50 metres away...more laziness/nonchalence than anything. Thais dont want us to defend their ways because they see nothing wrong with them, so dont feel the need to do it (defend them.)

cheers..

I also heard, purely coincidentally of course, that people in the USA make insulting, rude and arrogant comments about other countries in times of dire straits, wrongly believing themselves to be superior to most, whereas the rest of the world recognises the USA for what it is - an uncivilised country where your worth as a human being is measured by how much cash is in your pocket. I'm sure you wouldn't know anything about that though.

You heard that? From where?

i can tell you this..even when showering some just chuck the water over them..no soap or anything..and even shower with there clothes on

Then you've not seen much of the world. While by no means perfect, Thailand and Thais are much cleaner than most of the third world. Esp. the women and esp. the food markets. You should check out sub-Sahara Africa, or India and Pakistan if you want to see dirty.

Agreed.

Some people are a bit out of the reality.

Thailand is probably the country in SEA where you have the lowest risk of getting food poisoning... and don't even compare to most of places in Africa, Pakistan or India.

Sure, they're not perfect, but they're at least a minimum educated about that

I also suggest Junglejumbo to check late in the evening how much the thai foodstalls are cleaned and compare with what REALLY happens in most of the restaurants kitchens in the West and he'll probably be very surprised.

"Sure, there are people who work on the streets, be them motorbike taxis or food stall cooks who don't have much choice but I'm sure they'd use a public toilet if it was available."

Hmmm...not so sure about that...regularly see Thai cooks and moto taxi drivers taking a leak by the road/against a fence when the nearest public toilet is only 50 metres away...more laziness/nonchalence than anything. Thais dont want us to defend their ways because they see nothing wrong with them, so dont feel the need to do it (defend them.)

cheers..

even in the houses in issan .most will piss where they stand than use the toilet...ladies and men alike

Not landed long Richard ??

Members of my wife's family (including my wife) may take a leak from time to time out of sight in the garden at night if we are sitting around chewing the fat - metaphorically, sometimes literally - or having a drink. I find it odd, but not that offensive and certainly not as offensive as your 'pee where they stand' comment, applied to an entire race and geographical area the size of Germany.

Don't go down any English high street after 11pm if you happen to be sensitive to these sort of things (I'm not accusing you of such - I recognise you passed no judgement yourself):rolleyes:

The sort of Thais that many of us on TV see daily are the equivalent of 'ordinary working people'. I find the personal hygiene of ordinary working people in my own country not that much different from Thailand. Men wash their hands after the loo in petrol stations, hotels, airports and restaurants far more consistently than in the UK as per my personal observation. On the other hand I agree with the lack of hygiene around the kitchen comments - they have not been exposed to 100 years of accumulating domestic wealth and Television advertisement bombardment by the cleanliness industry.

Everyone's got their own opinion on this one I'm sure

Many hope all the comments here are positive and helpful to all our friends, both Thai and the expats living in the Kingdom. Now is not the time for recriminations or political vendettas.

Australia suffered immeasurable damage from its floods; Japan has hundreds of square kilometers of nuclear polluted areas, unlivable for centuries; The Mississippi ran wide and destroyed hundreds of square miles of cities and farms; Turkey just had and earthquake; The Philippines are a wasteland ... the list is long.

Come on people, let's work together.

Yeah well, if I could. But I dont have a work permit.