Locked Up In Mixed Cells And Forced To Bribe Guards So I Could Eat: Englishwoman Tells Of Thai Horror Ordeal...

Boater

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naturally now she will have a fresh new passport.............with no sign of the deportation stamp.

I remember years ago some friends of mine were deported from Spain for working without a permit. That turned out to be an even greater nightmare for two of them as they were detained and deported from Greece a year later as they arrived for a genuine holiday.

I also remember another friend of mine being refused entry to a Middle Eastern country as they had previously visited Israel, ( I can't remember which country ). On top of that a female ex flatmate was detained for two days in Chicago as she had previously visited Colombia.

The point is, your passport is your most precious possession when traveling, and what's on it, or in it, can have serious consequences.

I also remember another friend of mine being refused entry to a Middle Eastern country as they had previously visited Israel, ( I can't remember which country ). On top of that a female ex flatmate was detained for two days in Chicago as she had previously visited Colombia.

Many countries in Europe allow you to have two passports to omit such situations... was mainly used during the cold war for business travelers who needed to travel between the US of A and the Evil Satan USSR.... one passport was always at the government passport office and you could just drop by and exchange the passports when needed.

The point is, your passport is your most precious possession when traveling, and what's on it, or in it, can have serious consequences.

Absolutely agree, just add "... or not in it..." to cover for missing pages :whistling:

Many countries in Europe allow you to have two passports to omit such situations.

The US has that available also:

A secondary passport can be issued to a US passport applicant that can be used when visiting two different countries that have political tension between each other. Please note your current passport has to be valid for 6 months or more to apply for a second valid passport. Also note that a second valid passport cannot be renewed, since it's a limited passport valid for only 2 years.

USPassport123

Many countries in Europe allow you to have two passports to omit such situations.

The US has that available also:

A secondary passport can be issued to a US passport applicant that can be used when visiting two different countries that have political tension between each other. Please note your current passport has to be valid for 6 months or more to apply for a second valid passport. Also note that a second valid passport cannot be renewed, since it's a limited passport valid for only 2 years.

USPassport123

I can see the point and benefit of that. I recently met a well traveled US citizen that had a smart card type passport I've not investigated that idea yet.

Re the OP, it really is one of the most ridiculous non-stories I've seen for a while, and the comments on the Daily Mail website in connection with the story are interesting reading. As they say in England " There's nowt queerer than folk ". I'll never forget the stupidity of Sandra Gregory flying back into Bangkok after being deported for drug running, what's the odds on this idiot trying the same thing?

"...US citizen that had a smart card type passport..."

That would be a 'Passport Card'.

It's only good for international travel by land or sea between the US, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

It makes a nice ID card.

If you get it at the same time as you get a new passport, I think both will have the same number. Different numbers if obtained a different times.

How soon before we get rid of paper passports and just have iris scanners the world over?

My guess is that we will have mandatory RFID chips sugically implanted that will take out all the hassle of immigration and passport control.

You just walk past the vicinity scanners and they automatically read all the relevant information and store entry and departure.

All that would be left are the detaining cells where all the travelers who set off flags would be held while awaiting processing.

The desired travelers would be totally un-hindered as they go about their business.

Edited by RickThai

How soon before we get rid of paper passports and just have iris scanners the world over?

My guess is that we will have mandatory RFID chips sugically implanted that will take out all the hassle of immigration and passport control.

You just walk past the vicinity scanners and they automatically read all the relevant information and store entry and departure.

All that would be left are the detaining cells where all the travelers who set off flags would be held while awaiting processing.

The desired travelers would be totally un-hindered as they go about their business.

Sounds a bit like George Orwells' 1984 to me............I'll just stick to my trusty hardback copy if you don't mind.

Here's a prime example of the depths to which the Mail will sink. Two teenagers who've been drinking drown in a canal. Only the Mail could drag Islam into it:

http://www.dailymail...ging-canal.html

My god you actually spend time reading it :ermm:

You appear to be confusing me with Boater.

the first time i saw this story was after endure posted it, so endure must have been reading the mail online to have picked up the story ....... :ph34r:

its ok endure ........

Edited by Boater

Here's a prime example of the depths to which the Mail will sink. Two teenagers who've been drinking drown in a canal. Only the Mail could drag Islam into it:

http://www.dailymail...ging-canal.html

My god you actually spend time reading it :ermm:

You appear to be confusing me with Boater.

the first time i saw this story was after endure posted it, so endure must have been reading the mail online to have picked up the story ....... :ph34r:

its ok endure ........

I sometimes read the Mail online (well perhaps 'read' is too strong a word). I do it to remind myself just how easy it is to lead the public by the nose by appealing to their baser instincts :whistling:

Sounds like a terrible ordeal.

One oddity is that the picture that the DM claim is her passport has the top right corner of the front cover cut off which I thought meant the passport was invalid???

Passport was already invalid with the missing / torn out page. So Thai immigration probably just cut the corner off in order to make it clear to everybody. Normal procedure, even though Swiss immigration would punch two holes through the passport...

@Swiss1960@Orac

I do not know,what problem you have with that missing corner?This is simple and you can figure it out yourself.

Hint!:You can not travel without passport

Missing page made her passport useless.She was deported from Thailand on what passport?

Hint!:On new passport(emergency) supplied by UK embassy.

After issuing new emergency document - UK embassy had cut the corner.In my embassy they punch round holes.

"...but feeding her crap and making her pay for her own food is a bit rough, but what you'd expect."

When you're in jail here they don't give you a menu to order from. If you don't like what they are serving, you can get something else, if you can pay for it. It's the same for all nationalities.

I sometimes read the Mail online (well perhaps 'read' is too strong a word). I do it to remind myself just how easy it is to lead the public by the nose by appealing to their baser instincts :whistling:

Admit it...you are only reading the Mail online since the Sun required subscription. biggrin.gif