Anyone Visiting The British Consulate Tomorrow?

LeCharivari

Just got back from Brit Consulate

Got there early at 8.15 am (first one )

8.45 am two ladies arrived from Brit Embassy Bangkok and opened the doors at 9.00am (about ten people waiting)

I went for letter of confirmation of income for renewal of retirement extension

Was out at 9.15am

They are trying to do a same day service and was told to come back at 1pm to pick up my letter.

8.45 am two ladies arrived from Brit Embassy Bangkok and opened the doors at 9.00am (about ten people waiting)

Was out at 9.15am

They are trying to do a same day service and was told to come back at 1pm to pick up my letter.

Same as that.

The two ladies were extemely helpful & seemed vey intent on being as efficient as possible. Fair play to them

Same as that.

The two ladies were extemely helpful & seemed vey intent on being as efficient as possible. Fair play to them

Good news that its "business as usual" and that they can now even do a same day service.

It does beg the question, though, that if they can do the job in one morning (4 hours) a week then what are the new full-time Consular Officer and Vice Consul going to do for the remaining 32 hours of their 36 hour week? The Vice Consul's being paid ten times the honorarium that Barrie and Howard got, and far from being more Brits in Pattaya than before its obvious to anyone here that the number of Brits on holiday is a fraction of what it was 10 years ago. Passports and visas? Nationality enquiries? The Embassy in Bangkok don't even do those. Recommending lawyers? Notifying next-of-kin? .... hardly full-time jobs.

Sounds more and more like "jobs for the boys" (or the "in-laws") and no wonder that it costs twice as much to get a passport from here as it does in UK.

Was out at 9.15am

Certainly seems like good service, according to web site the hours are 9:30 to 12:30.

Wounder if Chiang Mai will get upgraded, seems possible the new Consular Officer and Vice Consul may have more responsibilities and area to cover.

As pointed out over the last few years the numbers of Brits in Pattaya is dropping not increasing.

Same as that.

Good news that its "business as usual" and that they can now even do a same day service.

It does beg the question, though, that if they can do the job in one morning (4 hours) a week then what are the new full-time Consular Officer and Vice Consul going to do for the remaining 32 hours of their 36 hour week? The Vice Consul's being paid ten times the honorarium that Barrie and Howard got, and far from being more Brits in Pattaya than before its obvious to anyone here that the number of Brits on holiday is a fraction of what it was 10 years ago. Passports and visas? Nationality enquiries? The Embassy in Bangkok don't even do those. Recommending lawyers? Notifying next-of-kin? .... hardly full-time jobs.

Sounds more and more like "jobs for the boys" (or the "in-laws") and no wonder that it costs twice as much to get a passport from here as it does in UK.

dont also forget to mention consular assistance , visiting the police station when a brit is nicked, Prison Visits, hospital visits, maybe some trade relations, the list goes on.....

Was out at 9.15am

There is your answer folks...no need for a Vice Consul...you just need a couple of competent (lady) Brits at the helm....the real backbone of the country! smile.gif

Same as that.

dont also forget to mention consular assistance , visiting the police station when a brit is nicked, Prison Visits, hospital visits, maybe some trade relations, the list goes on.....

don't forget the visits to the morgue to view remains, often from motor accidents or falls, not pleasant..........

.......what are the new full-time Consular Officer and Vice Consul going to do for the remaining 32 hours of their 36 hour week?

6a00d83451c86d69e200e54f1704b28833-640wi.jpg

and filing expenses claims and counting their pensions, of course.

Government jobs are a total gravy train.

[

There is your answer folks...no need for a Vice Consul...you just need a couple of competent (lady) Brits at the helm....the real backbone of the country! smile.gif

Not quite, one was British but I'm assuming that the other lady was Thai with very good English

For FOUR FULL DAYS A WEEK? For two people?

... just what "consular assistance"?

... and just how many Brits are arrested each week and in the local jail on remand? Very few, particularly as the number of British tourists has plummeted in recent years, and there is little the Embassy can do for them anyway apart from pass messages to/from next of kin.

... "Hospital visits"? For what? If they can't pay the bills there's nothing the Embassy can do except contact a relative in the UK and ask them to pay, or translate if staff in the hospital don't speak English (hardly a problem in Pattaya).

... "trade relations" ? At local Consul level? That's the job of the British trade delegation and the British Chamber of Commerce.

..."the list goes on". I'm sure it does if you have enough imagination.

don't forget the visits to the morgue to view remains, often from motor accidents or falls, not pleasant..........

"not pleasant", but just WHY is a Consul visiting a morgue to view "remains" of any description? This is no part of a Consul's job and if/where "viewing" occurred it was totally self-inflicted and by choice. What could the Consul possibly do? Identify the body? Not unless he was a next-of-kin or knew them personally and was asked to do so (as anyone could be). Declare them dead or perform an autopsy? It is entirely a Thai Police responsibility to identify any foreigners' remains, inform the Consul/Embassy, transport the body to Bangkok for an autopsy (if necessary) and release it to next-of-kin once the Embassy has confirmed who the next-of-kin is. I've been involved as a friend identifying bodies more than once here and subsequently informing the next-of-kin abroad and the only Embassy involvement was to note my confirmation of who it was and to tell the police officially to release the body to the next-of-kin or for burial. Any Consul's/Embassy's only involvement is to inform next-of-kin abroad if there are no relatives or friends here to do so, and this is anything but a frequent occurence.

Let's get real - there was enough for an HONORARY Consul like Barry or Howard to do with a part-time Thai assistant, and there are always volunteer hospital/prison visitors, but a FULL TIME and FULLY PAID (albeit locally-employed) Vice-Consul and full time Thai assistant? Jobs for the boys and their friends or in-laws, and we're the ones paying for it.

Sure, it's nice not to have to go to Bangkok for a retirement/pension letter, but realistically there is nothing else that the office does apart from supply a few pamphlets and forms. Outside the office? See above. You only have to look around Immigration to see just how few Brit expats there are left here now or to take a walk down Walking Street, where almost the only people still speaking English are the bar girls. What an absolute crock ....

Edited by LeCharivari

... and just how many Brits are arrested each week and in the local jail on remand? Very few, particularly as the number of British tourists has plummeted in recent years, and there is little the Embassy can do for them anyway apart from pass messages to/from next of kin.

... "Hospital visits"? For what? If they can't pay the bills there's nothing the Embassy can do except contact a relative in the UK and ask them to pay, or translate if staff in the hospital don't speak English (hardly a problem in Pattaya).

... "trade relations" ? At local Consul level? That's the job of the British trade delegation and the British Chamber of Commerce.

"not pleasant", but just WHY is a Consul visiting a morgue to view "remains" of any description? This is no part of a Consul's job and if/where "viewing" occurred it was totally self-inflicted and by choice. What could the Consul possibly do? Identify the body? Not unless he was a next-of-kin or knew them personally and was asked to do so (as anyone could be). Declare them dead or perform an autopsy? It is entirely a Thai Police responsibility to identify any foreigners' remains, inform the Consul/Embassy, transport the body to Bangkok for an autopsy (if necessary) and release it to next-of-kin once the Embassy has confirmed who the next-of-kin is. I've been involved as a friend identifying bodies more than once here and subsequently informing the next-of-kin abroad and the only Embassy involvement was to note my confirmation of who it was and to tell the police officially to release the body to the next-of-kin or for burial. Any Consul's/Embassy's only involvement is to inform next-of-kin abroad if there are no relatives or friends here to do so, and this is anything but a frequent occurence.

Let's get real - there was enough for an HONORARY Consul like Barry or Howard to do with a part-time Thai assistant, and there are always volunteer hospital/prison visitors, but a FULL TIME and FULLY PAID (albeit locally-employed) Vice-Consul and full time Thai assistant? Jobs for the boys and their friends or in-laws, and we're the ones paying for it.

Sure, it's nice not to have to go to Bangkok for a retirement/pension letter, but realistically there is nothing else that the office does apart from supply a few pamphlets and forms. Outside the office? See above. You only have to look around Immigration to see just how few Brit expats there are left here now or to take a walk down Walking Street, where almost the only people still speaking English are the bar girls. What an absolute crock ....

wow, you are a balanced individual, a chip on both shoulders

did they turn you down for the job?......

Don't be shy. Why don't you say what you really think.

Wounder if Chiang Mai will get upgraded, seems possible the new Consular Officer and Vice Consul may have more responsibilities and area to cover.

As pointed out over the last few years the numbers of Brits in Pattaya is dropping not increasing.

Not quite sure what reason there would be to "upgrade" the Honorary Consul's post in Chiang Mai - from everything I have heard he already does an outstanding job, without being paid for it, and fits it in around his other work for Thai NGOs in the Chiang Mai area which he probably wouldn't be able to do if it became a full-time post.

Why fix something that isn't broken?

wow, you are a balanced individual, a chip on both shoulders

did they turn you down for the job?......

No – but IF two Brits (Barry and Howard) did the same job for peanuts and its now to be done by someone’s Thai wife for ten times the salary, with no experience whatsoever of any of the "list" of external Consular jobs rightly seen as so important, then I think something’s wrong.

( IF that’s wrong, of course, I’ll eat my chips, apologise, and wish the British Consul good luck).

Don't be shy. Why don't you say what you really think.

Since you ask, I was really thinking that it’s a bit disappointing the Embassy couldn’t find a Brit with any appropriate experience to do the job, that with her experience in a visa agency there’s every reason to think that the Thai appointee will probably do an excellent job in the office but will have questionable ability with all those other jobs (and a lot of salaried time on her hands), and wondering if it was one of your assistants who was given the post or if she works for one of the other visa agencies in town.

Thanks for asking.

• 1 month later...

As the Thai visa-agent is now to be the new "Consular Officer" and not the new "Vice-Consul", and there is now a new (British) "new Vice-Consul" I'll wish them luck - once they are known, of course.

In the meantime I'll just be grateful that the Thai staff from Bangkok are able to do in one morning a week what their Brit and Thai replacements are being given ten times as long to do (and paid accordingly), and that my original question's been answered so fully.

As the Thai visa-agent is now to be the new "Consular Officer" and not the new "Vice-Consul", and there is now a new (British) "new Vice-Consul" I'll wish them luck - once they are known, of course.

In the meantime I'll just be grateful that the Thai staff from Bangkok are able to do in one morning a week what their Brit and Thai replacements are being given ten times as long to do (and paid accordingly), and that my original question's been answered so fully.

I too wish them well in the new positions.

In the past we have had Barry and Howard, yet I suspect that the new positions will cover a greater area, not only geographically but in scope as well.

I do hope at some time in the near future that one of them may have the time to write about the job and the responsibilities which I think will be an eye opener to many of us.

:jap: