I Enjoy Being Anonymous

Supersurch

:D

Can you "Admins" really track me down? If so, shet! Although, I don't think I ever posted anything offensive to be tracked down, but I was reading the post from nevermindthegap and Dr. Patpong tracked his ID. That's rather eerie. I'm not a IT wiz, so I was just wondering how you folks do that. Oh well. If you can find me, I'll buy you lunch or dinner. Which ever you choose. :o

If I am not wrong, Dr_pat_pong kicked this guy out because he posted something like he did not see Thai women as women ( human being, I assumed).

Expressing such a personal opinion like that in public forum was not so wise. Anti-sentimental comments are often found offensive.

If he wants to have a date with farang girls, he could convince them by telling them how great he is, like smart, good looking,etc.,( see khun golf post as a good example)then nobody hurts. But he did insulting thai women to show off his high interest in western girls, that was not appropiate ka ( IMHP)

Admin can track you down in different ways. For security reasons, I cannot tell you.

But I wanna have dinner at supperclub, so I started chasing you now!!! :o

Guest ka1234

Of course they can see what IP address you are accessing the site from. If this is a dial up ISP, depending on if they have any good contacts at the ISP you are using they may be able to get your account details with the ISP. If you are using a pre-paid dial up card they can't identify you unless you voluntarily register your name and address with the ISP. However, if you are using your work computer and the company you work for have a fixed line, they have a better chance of tracking you down (at least down to where you work and if that is a place with few farangs it won't be too difficult to guess).

There are services such as Anonymizer (www.anonymizer.com) that can make it more difficult to track you down if you don't want to be identified.

Guest ka1234

Then of course I am sure there are ways for non admins to track down forum users too. I think the only safe thing is to use internet cafes, never go to the same place, stay for less than 10 minutes etc... am I getting paranoid? :o

Guest ka1234
Theres no reply to that ,except Goodnight!

No, I guess not. But the point is - if you want to be anonymous, internet is the wrong place. Everything is logged somewhere and everything you do is very traceable. In real time and usually for a long time thereafter.

To cheer up ole Supersurch I'll just ask whether he likes the service he gets fom Bell South

LOL! :o

It's not too bad. There is some lag time during windy days.

I knew that you could track down the ISP address, but could you pinpoint the location? If you could, I'm moving. :D

It's not that I am a fugitive or something, I just enjoy my anonymity. :D

Guest Anonymous and proud
It's not that I am a fugitive or something, I just enjoy my anonymity. :D

Use an anonymous proxy server :o

Hmmmm to a forum....I wonder why you'd do that

Supersurch wanted to know how to be anonymous.....I just told him. I cannot comment on his motives.

Guest not anonymous

This forum is not anonymous. It doesn't take much effort from admins or other forum users to trace a user (or admin).

Assume a admin is located in Belrose, NSW. Everything he do is recorded not only by Optus Internet but by all ISPs between them and the web server in New Jersey. Hundreds of people have access to these logs and there are few or no laws regulating how these logs can be used, protected etc.

On top of that, anyone can post content in the forum that trace readers, even those accessing the forum anonymously.

You are less anonymous on the internet than anywhere else.

This forum is not anonymous. It doesn't take much effort from admins or other forum users to trace a user (or admin).

Assume a admin is located in Belrose, NSW. Everything he do is recorded not only by Optus Internet but by all ISPs between them and the web server in New Jersey. Hundreds of people have access to these logs and there are few or no laws regulating how these logs can be used, protected etc.

On top of that, anyone can post content in the forum that trace readers, even those accessing the forum anonymously.

You are less anonymous on the internet than anywhere else.

Anonymity has nothing to do with the forum (which is a publicly accessable resource). Anonymity is about hiding your real IP from people with nefarious intent. Banning a proxy IP is useless as there are thousands of proxy servers and hard core "cloaked" users rotate their proxy every few seconds using an anonymiser.

In addition, the Invision forum software only blocks your direct IP and doesn't check for proxy use or the forwarded IP.

Guest "your Name"

Yeah, but most users don't go through that effort. There is a widespread misconception that you are more or less anonymous on the net. See msg from OP.

OP and other users should be aware that they are not anonymous unless they go through these extra steps. Even if the forum admins won't misuse information that can identify a poster, other users may do. After all, this forum do have visitors from the thai government, thai military etc. Some of those visitors may or may not agree with some of the more controversial postings.

Yeah, but most users don't go through that effort. There is a widespread misconception that you are more or less anonymous on the net. See msg from OP.

OP and other users should be aware that they are not anonymous unless they go through these extra steps. Even if the forum admins won't misuse information that can identify a poster, other users may do. After all, this forum do have visitors from the thai government, thai military etc. Some of those visitors may or may not agree with some of the more controversial postings.

In which case it should also be pointed out that an ISP can only reveal client confidential information like IP to address/name mapping under sepina from a court without infringing its customer confidentiality agreement. If someone is reported to an ISP it is for them to take action (denial of service etc) and they will not pass on the confidential info to the plaintiff. If the charge is hacking or malicious intent then the ISP will inform the authorities who will get a court order for the info and arrest the offender.

I certainly sleep very well.

Guest IT Manager

Not quite true. You forget where we live.

Back home in Brighton Charlie, that may be the case, but there in South Jomtiem, it's not quite correct. :o

it i just read ur posting

###### Posted on Fri 2004-01-16, 15:48:58

Not quite true. You forget where we live.

Back home in Brighton Charlie, that may be the case, but there in South Jomtiem, it's not quite correct.

i hope u aint reffering to me,cos i know more than u ever will.

nokna and bkk charlie