Orange Pumpkins

threedot

A friend snapped a picture of a real US pumpkin at Rimping the other day - looked about 10-12 lbs. Price tag was 3,200 BAHT !!!!!!

Up to you, but I think I'd much rather go carve a Thai one up. Not only that you could buy a long green gourd (fak kiaw) and make something nice out of that one too for pretty cheap. And then with the 3k baht you save, probably a couple good dinners out instead.

What is it with Americans and Halloween. What does it all mean anyway? appears to be some way of worshipping the darkside dressing your kids up as devils, ghosts and demons and then sending them off to beg for lollies, To an Aussie it all seems a little ridiculous and wierd glad it's not on our calendar.I don't think thais would be to impressed with ghosts knocking on thier doors begging for food either.

Edited by softgeorge

My Aussie friend, you might be surprised how many Thais, Brits, n Aussies (even!) are gonna be out in costume this weekend. It's just a chance to dress up, socialize, and drink for adults. And for kids it's a ball. So why not ?

You might notice also.... that alot of the ladies wear some pretty spicy outifts too. I can't argue with that.

My Aussie friend, you might be surprised how many Thais, Brits, n Aussies (even!) are gonna be out in costume this weekend. It's just a chance to dress up, socialize, and drink for adults. And for kids it's a ball. So why not ?

You might notice also.... that alot of the ladies wear some pretty spicy outifts too. I can't argue with that.

ah so it's a pissup

ah so it's a pissup

love a pissup a few sherberts

What is it with Americans and Halloween. What does it all mean anyway? appears to be some way of worshipping the darkside dressing your kids up as devils, ghosts and demons and then sending them off to beg for lollies, To an Aussie it all seems a little ridiculous and wierd glad it's not on our calendar.I don't think thais would be to impressed with ghosts knocking on thier doors begging for food either.

Yeah, us ridiculous Americans. Its weird that we would be the only people in the world with a holiday like this... Nobody else with anything even remotely similar.

Oh no wait... What is this? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead

Even in new Zealand! Strange.

But of course, don't let silly things like facts get in the way of your America bashing.

-Mestizo

Getting back to the OP's question; I have not been able to find a good sized orange pumpkin at a reasonable price. I am thinking of getting a green one and a can of orange spray paint.

BTW Halloween is a spin off of an old European Pagan holiday called Samhain. In that time the pagan folk believed that on that night the spirit world and our world were at their closest point of being together for the year and only at that time could the spirits of the dead could pass through to our world and visit. So it became a custom to leave food or a treat for them and if you did not they would play a trick upon you.

Yeah, us ridiculous Americans. Its weird that we would be the only people in the world with a holiday like this... Nobody else with anything even remotely similar.

Oh no wait... What is this? - http://en.wikipedia....Day_of_the_Dead

But of course, don't let silly things like facts get in the way of your America bashing.

-Mestizo

I think Australians have a complex because their ancestors were criminals. They only admitted in 1989 and it was quite a shock to them and some of them have yet to recover from it.

BTW Halloween is a spin off of an old European Pagan holiday called Samhain. In that time the pagan folk believed that on that night the spirit world and our world were at their closest point of being together for the year and only at that time could the spirits of the dead could pass through to our world and visit. So it became a custom to leave food or a treat for them and if you did not they would play a trick upon you.

Also better known as All Hallows Eve, which is where the word Halloween comes from.

-Mestizo

I think Australians have a complex because their ancestors were criminals. They only admitted in 1989 and it was quite a shock to them and some of them have yet to recover from it.

I think you will find that the British conveyed more convicts to the U.S than they did Australia. Google it and see the facts :D Actually Aussie are quite proud of thier convict history and an honour to be the decendent of convict stock and the 1st Aussies. So I guess you are wrong again.

Edited by softgeorge

-Mestizo

I didn't know that the kiwi's have a hallaween holiday and celebration when did this start happening?

No, but clearly they enjoy the dress-up and booze-up. ;) Even just for Saturday pre-Halloween parties I've seen some absolutely horrifying (==good!) outfits and makeup.

For any kids-type decorations and accessories, the Rim Ping supermarkets are good. For the more serious and risque outfits.. who knows where people get those made.

As for Halloween in America, I think it's awesome that a pretty conservative Christian country embraces such an overtly pagan ritual. So there is hope.

Well as a kid I always like hell-o-ween, but no big orange pumpkins in bkk apparently.

I found a big watermelon however and will give it a go later today. Will carve up a face resembling john terry, stick a few candles in it and hope it doesn't slip off my balcony-cant wait for the looks not only on my sons face but the supersticious thais around our development.