Central Bang Na Profiteering ?

Seismic

Drove up to central bang na today to pay bills and do some shopping, All upper parking levels closed, parking only in B0 and B1 levels, no spots available except the 'reserved' area for 20 baht per hour. In the end we parked in Big C and walked over. seems that maybe all the upper levels are full of cars that are sheltering, fair enough, but to then start charging on the two levels that were open seems a bit much to me.

Ok, yes I know, 20baht is nothing, but it is a shopping centre and people want to park their cars there for shopping, why start charging the shoppers, why not charge those filling the place up with their cars ??

regards

Drove up to central bang na today to pay bills and do some shopping, All upper parking levels closed, parking only in B0 and B1 levels, no spots available except the 'reserved' area for 20 baht per hour. In the end we parked in Big C and walked over. seems that maybe all the upper levels are full of cars that are sheltering, fair enough, but to then start charging on the two levels that were open seems a bit much to me.

Ok, yes I know, 20baht is nothing, but it is a shopping centre and people want to park their cars there for shopping, why start charging the shoppers, why not charge those filling the place up with their cars ??

regards

I wish they did something like that at Central Chaeng Wattana, there has been no where to park but out on the street the last couple of times we been there. I've got a 3 year old and an 8 month pregnant wife so parking on a busy road is a safety concern.

20 baht an hour to for a couple of hours shopping and bill paying is ok, leaving your car there for the duration, it might be a deterant though. Seems a fair enough way to keep some spots for customers open, if they said it was for customers only but it is free, how many people are going to drive away because they didn't really want to buy anything?

I fail to understand why the shoppping malls are providing free parking for the public. Obviously, most of those who clog up the parking space are neither flood victims, nor are they in desperate need. If a car owner is so concerned about possible damage to his property, then why shouldn't he pay parking fees if he is using prime parking space for weeks? Or, if he can't afford this, move his car out of town for the time? Owning a car is expensive, and it should be, especially in a city like Bangkok where available space is scarce.

If Central still have parking space available for which they charge, this is a wise decision for the benefit of their customers, and should not be labeled as profiteering. Otherwise there would be no parking space left at all.

I recently tried to find parking space at the Suvarnabhumi airport parking lot - impossible. No space available because they opened up the parking lot (which is usually halfway full at 25 Baht per hour or 200 Baht per day anyway) to the public for free. That means, space in fact is available, if you hand your key and a tip over to the parking security guy. So much for profiteering.

Edited by ffm

the problem im guessing is that many folks just come and use the parking facillities to park their motorbike/car for their daily commute, and not for shopping. They should ask for a receipt to get free parking or something, or free for 2 hours. i dont think that shoppers should be charged.