Tourist Visa Expiring, But Stuck In Flood, What To Do?

Dear all,

My visa is expiring in few more days but I am stuck in a place with flood and there is no way I can leave except to have a boat and then get a car. There is no taxi around too.

Can someone please advice what should I do? I have no problem to continue stay in flood area (I am staying in high condo), it just that my visa is expiring. Please advice.

If its genuine and can be supported by some sort of proof I think they will be lenient but I would imagine like most things in life there will be those who take the Pi** and try to take advantage of the flood as just an excuse.

So, as said, the overstay wont bankrupt you ! and you'll have to pay up.

Edited by CharlieH

Even after the airport closures of 2008 they were still charging overstay at the airport once it was open so doubtful any lenancy will be shown for a few drops of rain...surely there must be a way to get to the airport and fly out and back

Even after the airport closures of 2008 they were still charging overstay at the airport once it was open so doubtful any lenancy will be shown for a few drops of rain...surely there must be a way to get to the airport and fly out and back

Not if you could show that you had a flight out of the country during the time the airport was closed. They wanted proof and if you had it no overstay was charged.

A few drops of rain? :annoyed:

Greetings to all, on my first post.

This might not be the appropriate place to ask this (so have mercy), but does anybody know if the "public holiday" extends Nation wide, and if so do you reckon Samui immigration would be open or shut on Monday... can't call today as it's Saturday, and definitely shut.

Hang tough in BKK

:whistling:

Exactly when is your visa expiring?

At any rate...Chaeng Wattana is open and you can contact them by phone (immigration).

They have people there who speak English.

Call them, explain the exact situation and your location.

If your location is seriously flooded...they will know...and they may make a notation on your computer records of your problem.

When you do leave, the immigration at the airport will see that notification...and (hopefully) not charge you overstay.

At least that call is worth trying.

But, just a word to the wise...which you must be or you wouldn't be asking for advice...be polite to the person or persons you talk to at Chaeng Wattana. If they do agree to help you, they're doing you a favor, They don't have to help you, do they?

:D

Greetings to all, on my first post.

This might not be the appropriate place to ask this (so have mercy), but does anybody know if the "public holiday" extends Nation wide, and if so do you reckon Samui immigration would be open or shut on Monday... can't call today as it's Saturday, and definitely shut.

Hang tough in BKK

The holiday is not nationwide, and Samui is not due to be closed.

Where are you then?

Okay, so you're in a Condo somewhere and you need a boat to get out, right?

Why don't you look for a boat, guess they'll have to supply people living in this Condo with food and water?

" And there's no taxi around"?????? Have you ever heard about other people driving you to a place to get a taxi, or to the Immigration?

Looks like most people do have more serious problems. Good luck.....jap.gif

Do not expect any lenancy. Immigration officers are nervous and unsecure if having to face the SLIGHTEST unpredictable factor.In fact they are often oblivious of the rules they have to apply, so forget about the exceptions ...They are trained to work without thinking, and furthermore their english skill are generally speaking superbasic, let's say kindergarten level compare to Europe .So KEEP THING SIMPLE, just pay your fine when you leave the country and just hope they do not catch you before then...

According to Official holiday issued by The Government during 27th -31st October, 2011.

Immigration Division 1 will be serviced by some officer available only for necessary emergency cases.

on Thursday 27th, Friday 28th and Monday 31st October, 2011 time 08.30-16.30 hrs.

at The Government Complex (Chaengwattana Rd.) , Chamchuri Square Building and SuanPlu Office

(SuanPlu Office services only for legalized special Labor of three Nationalities Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar residing in Bangkok)

And on Saturday 29th October, 2011 time 8.30 - 12.00 hrs. will be opened at SuanPlu Office.

(services only for visa extension of Tourist visa , transit visa , without visa , visa on arrival and Re-entry Permit.)

For more details call 1111

Phone the emergency line 1111

I think it depends on how difficult it will be to get out by boat and back again and how long you will overstay, if you don't do it. During the airport closure they needed documentary evidence of flight cancellation. People who have presented with a doctor's certificate to say they were taken ill in hospital and couldn't travel have usually not been shown leniency. I can't imagine what documentary evidence would be required of inability to move. Therefore I suspect they may fine regardless. It's not a lot of money, doesn't delay your departure more than a few minutes and doesn't affect your ability to return. Problems only arise if you need to do something with your passport after it shows you have become an illegal immigrant or, worse still, if you are picked up by a policeman in a random or non-random check which means a trip to the standing room only immigration jail in Soi Suan Plu and a shake down to get bail.

I'm in the same exact situation as the starter of the thread.

I live in Pathum Thani... (I work in Samkhok which is obviously closed) I've been under water here for a couple weeks, having to take a rowboat to the local Tesco for supplies. But the apartment I'm living in has run out of water to sell us.

My fiance and I are going to take a boat to the Tesco and catch two military vehicles and a taxi to Bangkok.

The agency I work for is horrible and lies to me all the time. They haven't helped at all with my documents as far as Non-B and work permits and stuff. I'm working, but only with a Tourist Visa.

My visa runs out November fourth and my fiance (from Laos) has a visa that runs out on the 3rd.

We are doing the only thing we can, and that's getting the heck outta here.

I wouldn't trust Thai immigration to help you at all. Take your situation into your own hands and get outta dodge on your own. It's the only sure way...

Cambodia, here I come! lol

-loveinbangkok-

Try, to come to an Immigration.

Just before the Airport closure, forced from the yellow shirts, I decided to Overstay three-four days and fly later to Europe.

Airports closed than and I could not leave easy. I believed the talking from NO OVERSTAY fine during Aiport closure and some weeks later.

Thought, I will only have to pay my three, four days Overstay which I was guilty off.

Went than to Nong Khai border to leave the country and check for my Overstayfine, showed my flight Ticket and the Immigration there let me pay everyday of my Overstay, more than 10.000 Baht!

If I not ok with that I should go to Bangkok Airport and leave the country there!annoyed.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

I know that this sounds like one of the stupidist things to try, but it worked for me. I needed to extend my visa and the office that I use was flooded. I called the government hotline 1111 and pressed 9 when answered. I transfered me to someone that spoke a little English. After trying to explain the situation to her she told me to wait and a few seconds later someone that spoke perfect English came on. I explained the situation to her and she took my mobile number and said that she would get back to me. I really never expected to hear from her, but aboiut an hour later the phone rang and there she was with the correct info. The address of where the immigration office had been temporarily relocated to and the phone number. I called to verify, got the necessary documents together, went in, spent 20 minutes and now am good until 6 November 2011. I wish that they would stay "temporarily relocated" the office was easier to get to and the service was faster because the office was small and all of the "big wigs" were absent.

Do not expect any lenancy. Immigration officers are nervous and unsecure if having to face the SLIGHTEST unpredictable factor.In fact they are often oblivious of the rules they have to apply, so forget about the exceptions ...They are trained to work without thinking, and furthermore their english skill are generally speaking superbasic, let's say kindergarten level compare to Europe .So KEEP THING SIMPLE, just pay your fine when you leave the country and just hope they do not catch you before then...

An honest post. I would follow this advice.

I know that this sounds like one of the stupidist things to try, but it worked for me. I needed to extend my visa and the office that I use was flooded. I called the government hotline 1111 and pressed 9 when answered. I transfered me to someone that spoke a little English. After trying to explain the situation to her she told me to wait and a few seconds later someone that spoke perfect English came on. I explained the situation to her and she took my mobile number and said that she would get back to me. I really never expected to hear from her, but aboiut an hour later the phone rang and there she was with the correct info. The address of where the immigration office had been temporarily relocated to and the phone number. I called to verify, got the necessary documents together, went in, spent 20 minutes and now am good until 6 November 2011. I wish that they would stay "temporarily relocated" the office was easier to get to and the service was faster because the office was small and all of the "big wigs" were absent.

The address of where the immigration office had been temporarily relocated

Why don't you tell where to the IO relocated? That would help.

Thanx

My point was that I called the 1111 number to get the information and they responded professionally and that she should try the same process. I live in Nakhon Sawan Province and the office that I use is in Nakhon Sawan and has returned to its original location. From the blog I can't tell where she is but its obvious that she is not in Nakhon Sawan so what good does it do to tell her where the NS office was relocated to?

The address of where the immigration office had been temporarily relocated

Why don't you tell where to the IO relocated? That would help.

Thanx

Perhaps take a video of the water around your home to show the predicament. If you cannot find a boat what can you do? Swimming or wading is risky due to crocodiles.

If you actually are unable to leave and show documentation of it and they still don't waive the overstay, You could send copies of documentation and story to API, CNN, etc etc and put it on youtube. Immigration is run by police and not government. There seems to be a disconnect between the two entities.

One example is the one year multiple entry visa issued by thai embassies abroad. the visa states an "enter before date" and is valid for one year. The Thai embassy confirms in writing that the one year clock starts the day you enter, or first use the visa, and NOT the date the visa is issued. The immigration people use the date the visa was issued, rather than the date of first entry. This defies very basic logic and cognitive skills.

The visa has an issue and an enter before date on it at issue - those are the only dates that matter for use. On entry you receive a 90 day permitted to stay (except for the O-A special category).

Case in point immigration did not care about the one year clock starting at the ENTRY date. They based the validity duration on the issue date. This is why I requested and got an email from thai embassy abroad to clarify this.

I notice the original Poster has not replied, maybe he or she was trying to pull a fast one, or they have no means to communicate now.

I have to get mine done in Nonthaburi and heard the Temporary office is in Chaengwattana, which is better for me as I live closer to that office.

The British Embassy is also open so gonna get my letter done as well.

Pity my office called and that they are going back to work tomorrow as well, dam_n!!!!!!!!

Edited by beano2274