First Day In Chiang Mai.

jeff78751

Well, I just got here yesterday and it seems no matter how much planning I have done, I am feel completely overwhelmed. I was looking to rent a condo at the Mountain View Condos and wanted to know what any of you thought of the Chiang Mai University area. It is pretty far out from the City which is great as far as the quiet surroundings go but since I have no other transport other than my feet, I am concerned I may be too far away from the essentials.

Also, do you know of a good place to get a phone and moped near Arak Rd on the west side of the square (Old City)? Thanks in advance for any information that you are able to provide. I am supposed to meet with the real estate agent tomorrow.

Thanks

I wouldn't say the University area is too far away. You can just hop in a rot-daeng (songthaew) when you need to go somewhere. Only 20 baht if you're not going too far.

But of course it all depends what you spend your days doing in town and what kind of lifestyle you live.

Firstly, welcome to Chiang Mai.

Mountain View is not that far from the centre of the city. If you don't have a bike or motorcycle, it might be easier to move to somewhere nearer a grocery store, though. There are many, many acommodations available in all sizes and price ranges, so don't go for the first thing you see unless you absolutely must have it.

Phones can be purchased on the third floor of Kad Suan Kaew, Airport Plaza and Pantip plaza.

Hi, I am also a newbie and not yet living in CM (still waiting on completion) but have some good friends there already,It is I think one of the finest places in Asia to live,

I can highly recommend Chiang Mai properties.

http://chiangmaiproperties.co.th/

I have found them to be thoroughly professional and a fantastic help in many ways - hope you get settled soon and enjoy the City, best wishes

Edited by scotinsiam

I'm not sure where Mountain View condo is, but if it's anywhere near Canal Road in the Nimmanhamin soi 6 and 8 area, it will not be quiet much of the time. There is a festival/concert area between Nimmanhamin and Canal Road, sois 6 and 8, and the stage focuses all the sound towards CMU. Students in dormitories a kilometer away complain about the noise.

Firstly, welcome to Chiang Mai.

Mountain View is not that far from the centre of the city. If you don't have a bike or motorcycle, it might be easier to move to somewhere nearer a grocery store, though. There are many, many acommodations available in all sizes and price ranges, so don't go for the first thing you see unless you absolutely must have it.

Phones can be purchased on the third floor of Kad Suan Kaew, Airport Plaza and Pantip plaza.

Thank you for the welcome and I appreciate all of the information. It's very nice to have this forum to help get me through the stresses of adjusting.

I really need to get a phone and originally I thought I would be able to pick one up at 7-11, no luck with that so far. I will check out the airport plaza.

I'm not sure where Mountain View condo is, but if it's anywhere near Canal Road in the Nimmanhamin soi 6 and 8 area, it will not be quiet much of the time. There is a festival/concert area between Nimmanhamin and Canal Road, sois 6 and 8, and the stage focuses all the sound towards CMU. Students in dormitories a kilometer away complain about the noise.

Mountain View is near the convention center. Thanks for the info, the area seemed pretty secluded when I was out there but that was during the day.

I am just trying to find something close enough to get me into town if need be, close to the Lanna golf course, and just far enough away from the hustle and bustle to get some good sleep.

Thanks again

It's unclear to me for how long you'll be here and if you are planning to walk all the time.

Also what kind of phone, just a simple one for CM?

I'd say try Kad Suan Kaew first, on the groundfloor across TOPS supermarket you'll find several phone shops (e.g. True). You could also try little stalls on other floors.

If you're planning to walk and take songthaews you could try areas closer to the centre. In the sois it can be really quiet.

Keep breathing and take one thing at a time. Good luck.

Mountain View is near the convention center. Thanks for the info, the area seemed pretty secluded when I was out there but that was during the day.

I am just trying to find something close enough to get me into town if need be, close to the Lanna golf course, and just far enough away from the hustle and bustle to get some good sleep.

Thanks again

I'm familiar with that area and you will need your own transportation as a red taxi rarely goes through that zone, and you rarely see one on the Canal Road just east of there. Grocery stores and such are quite far off if you are on foot.

Thanks again

Thank you. I got a simple phone today and I am looking for a place just a little bit closer to town near the Star dome driving range. Again thanks

Thank you all so very much for your help. I was initially overwhelmed when I got here but I have now secured a place near the old City by the Stardome driving range, gotten a phone and met some great people. I even went to the Yee Peng lantern release last night and that in itself gave me a huge uplift. Again I want to thank you for this site and all of the info that it provides.

Edited by jeff78751

Thank you all so very much for your help. I was initially overwhelmed when I got here but I have now secured a place near the old City by the Stardome driving range, gotten a phone and met some great people. I even went to the Yee Peng lantern release last night and that in itself gave me a huge uplift. Again I want to thank you for this site and all of the info that it provides.

thumbsup.gif

That area is not a comfortable walking distance from the main drag and town centre.

Also the red taxis and Tuk Tuks are inclined to hype up fares for farangs, especially if returning home during the late hours.

My advice is to obtain a motorbike or a bicycle.

Not that this matters now but I live less than a five minute walk from the concert area between Nimmanhaemin and the Canal Road and I never hear any noise from the concerts. I guess it all depends on exactly where you are and what structures are between your place and the concert area. Months ago, on this board, I complained about some new bars opening next door to me and across the street. Two or the three bars are now out of business and I suspect the third will be gone soon. I guess it's hard to make money when you sell three large Leo beers for 99 baht.

Not that this matters now but I live less than a five minute walk from the concert area between Nimmanhaemin and the Canal Road and I never hear any noise from the concerts. I guess it all depends on exactly where you are and what structures are between your place and the concert area. Months ago, on this board, I complained about some new bars opening next door to me and across the street. Two or the three bars are now out of business and I suspect the third will be gone soon. I guess it's hard to make money when you sell three large Leo beers for 99 baht.

And with that advertisement to the Thaivisa readership, , business will soon be booming! ;)