Two workers found dead after wall collapse at Kentucky mine

News_Editor

Two workers found dead after wall collapse at Kentucky mine

2011-10-29 08:29:04 GMT+7 (ICT)

KENTUCKY (BNO NEWS) -- Two workers were killed on Friday morning when the truck they were in was crushed by rocks and other material from a wall collapse at a Western Kentucky surface mine, the state government said.

The accident occurred early Friday morning at Armstrong Coal Company's Equality Mine near Centertown in Ohio County after tons of rock fell from the wall. Emergency crews tried to rescue the men but were unsuccessful, the Kentucky Cabinet of Energy and the Environment said in a statement.

The crew members were identified as 47-year-old Darrel Winstead and 23-year-old Samuel Lindsey. They were both blasters at Mine Equipment and Mill Supply Company.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends affected by today's tragedy," Governor Steve Beshea said. "Mine safety is of paramount importance, and investigative teams will begin work immediately to determine the cause of this accident and whether there are any steps that can be taken to ensure such an accident does not occur again."

Energy and Environment Cabinet Secretary Len Peters also expressed his condolences to the families of the two victims. "We will continue our aggressive efforts to ensure a safe working environment for the thousands of men and women who work above and below ground each day," he added.

The Kentucky Office of Mine Safety and Licensing will conduct interviews to investigate the cause of the accident. Friday's accident brings the number of mine-related fatalities in Kentucky so far this year to six.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-10-29