Suvarnabhumi Airport Is Safe From Flooding, Airports Of Thailand Assures

webfact

Airports of Thailand assures that Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport is safe from flooding

BANGKOK (eTN)- Following the closure of Don Muang airport, public is getting concerned about the capability of the Airports Authority of Thailand to keep Thailand's major air gateway, Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport, dry. Confidence into the public authority has been seriously eroded by the fact that they assured a week ago that both airports were fully protected from massive flooding. Then came a massive flooding of the northern field and runway at Don Muang, forcing Nok Air and Orient Thai to relocate their flights into Suvarnabhumi.

AOT now tries to cover the previous PR disaster and is more pro-active to communicate. In a release, the airport's authority indicated that Somchai Sawasdeepon, AOT Senior Executive Vice President and Acting General Manager of Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport, expressed his confidence that Thailand largest air gateway would be able of handling the flooding situations around Bangkok and its vicinity. The airport has a highly capable Flooding Prevention System in place – with soil barriers surrounding the airport. The height of the barriers was recently increased from 3m to 3.5m and completed on 18th October 2011 with the assistance of the Department of Highways. Barriers measures are now 3.5m high, 23.5m long and have a base 37m in width.

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport has also six reservoirs with capacity to store 4 million m3 of water. According to AOT, the current level of water in the reservoirs is at 25% of capacity or 1 million m3. Two Pump Stations (4 water pumps in each station)are in service and have an ability to drain water out at a rate of 12 m3 per second or 1 million m3 per day.

Mr. Somchai added that preparations for flooding include 24-hour monitoring of the weather forecast and ^permanent coordination with the Royal Department of Irrigation, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and other relevant agencies. The information received from various agencies is carefully analyzed at all time to best protect the airport. Additionally, a special team of officials has been created to monitor and protect the barriers surrounding the airport against flash waters arriving from Northern Thailand.

Meanwhile, the airport has called up two Japanese experts to check about the effectiveness of these protection measures. The two senior Japanese officials, both from the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, estimate that the airport is well prepared but the scope of the flooding makes it hard to determine clearly the possible impact. The two experts expressed their concern about possible electric black-out with water leaking into power supply unit. They would then disable pumps system draining waters. AOT confirmed however that the airport has been given highest priority for electric supply and should be one of the last places in Bangkok to suffer power cuts.

AOT confirmed that there has been no disruption in service to all flights and passenger services at Suvarnabhumi Airport; The airport expects to welcome this October about 130,000 passengers and 800 flights per day. Suvarnabhumi Airport is also capable of handling the diverted Nok Air and Orient Thai flights from Don Mueang International Airport – only increasing the number of flights by 33 and number of passengers by about 20,000 per day.

Due to a large number of vehicles being parked at Suvarnabhumi Airport to be protected from rising waters, the airport authority would advise anyone wishing to travel to the Airport to allow plenty of time and to use public transportation – Airport Rail Link, buses and taxis. AOT would like to apologize for any inconveniences and disruptions this may have caused.

Source: http://www.eturbonews.com/26064/airports-thailand-assures-bangkok-suvarnabhumi-airport-safe-floo

-- eturbonews.com 2011-10-29

footer_n.gif

Strange story......What are the flood reservoirs now doing with 1 million m3 in them? So in essence if a massive flood comes, they are only able to use 75% of their capability to store water. If their pumps can truly pump out 1 million m3 per day, you would think AOT would be pumping right now so the reservoirs would be at zero...... So many of these stories do not make sense, I sometimes wonder if things are " lost in translation"....

AOT confirmed that there has been no disruption in service to all flights and passenger services at Suvarnabhumi Airport; The airport expects to welcome this October about 130,000 passengers and 800 flights per day. Suvarnabhumi Airport is also capable of handling the diverted Nok Air and Orient Thai flights from Don Mueang International Airport – only increasing the number of flights by 33 and number of passengers by about 20,000 per day.

Does anyone else find AOT's assurances slightly worrying?

Tried working out the above statistics regarding number of flights versus number of passengers.........20,000 / 33 flights = 606 pasengers per flight!!......130,000 / 800 = 162 passengers per flight!!

Based on the above I would not rely too much on this report.

Believe it or not, this is what we are told:

- Rojana Industrial Estate (Ayutthaya) has maintained that it has built the strongest embankment wall of 6m high ... yet this place is now under water.

- High-Tech Industrial Estate (Ayutthaya) also claims that its walls/embankments are made of solid soil capable of stopping rushingfloods ... now this place sinks under water.

- Bang Pa-In Industrial Estate (Ayutthaya) also claims that it has protected itself with the strongest double layer sand bags ... now it is submerged by flood water.

- Navanakorn Industrial Estate also claims to be secure against any impending flood, because it has built a 5 m high wall, yet now it, too, is under water.

- Bangkok confidently says it has prepared for a worse scenario by making an embankment wall 50cm higher than all previous recorded flood water levels ...but could Bangkok save itself?

- Properties near Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok are also at risk, although the airport itself is said to be well protected. Let us wait and see.

Edited by macgver

Remember, just two weeks ago, all the experts told us inner Bangkok was in a no-risk area. Invulnerable.

When Mother Nature is on a rampage, there is NO safe place from flooding. Should change their mind-set right now, and prepare for the worst, just to be prepared, not to be a pessimist.

Does anyone else also remember talk of upgrading U-Tapao International Airport following the "yellow shirt" occupation of Swampy back in 2009??

I guess this fell by the wayside, or went in the "too difficult file".

I would have thought this option would have come in handy should flood waters hit Swampy!! I haven't even read anywhere that diverting flights has even been considered by AOT, should the worst happen??

woody1 Post # 3

you are on the ball.Lies, dammed lies and statistics.

I have serous misgivings concerning the ability of the handling of the flood situation at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

I drive past Suvarnabhumi Airport.every day, when it rains the runways soon seem to collect a lot of water as does the surrounding area which of course was always Bangkok's flood plain in years gone by. Goodness knows how many times the missus used to drag me there to collect water grown vegetables in the past as we lived near to the area and still do.

I'm no expert but it is my take on the matter that it won't be so much a case of flood of water coming across the land but more of a case of flood from groundwater coming to the surface due to the absolute waterlogging of the area locally.

If that is the case those flood barriers will serve to keep the water in the airport not out of it.

Edited by siampolee

woody1 Post # 3

I have serous misgivings concerning the ability of the handling of the flood situation at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

I drive past Suvarnabhumi Airport.every day, when it rains the runways soon seem to collect a lot of water as does the surrounding area which of course was always Bangkok's flood plain in years gone by. Goodness knows how many times the missus used to drag me there to collect water grown vegetables in the past as we lived near to the area and still do.

I'm no expert but it is my take on the matter that it won't be so much a case of flood of water coming across the land but more of a case of flood from groundwater coming to the surface due to the absolute waterlogging of the area locally.

If that is the case those flood barriers will serve to keep the water in the airport not out of it.

If there is drawn out flooding I'd be very concerned about these floodwalls leaking or collapsing... then big trouble...

blah, blah, blah....

The people have already lost confidence with anything this government has to say. More they say it, more feet they have to put in their mouths! We'd rather they just do their work and pump the water out of here. They are confident to say only craps!

siamploee's post (above) hit the nail on the head:

...it is not the surface waters arriving horizontally that will inundate Suvarnambhumi, it will be the "ground water intrusion."

Wiki or Google "artesian well" for a more definitive explanation of how water will be geysering up if enough arrives on the scene.

It was built in a flood plain, d'oh.

This artesian well effect is what will overwhelm whatever pumping capacity the airport might muster.

Part of the cost of doing biz at sea level, or below.

Time to pray.....

Sure,let's pump MORE water into the area....LOL!:annoyed:

Strange story......What are the flood reservoirs now doing with 1 million m3 in them? So in essence if a massive flood comes, they are only able to use 75% of their capability to store water. If their pumps can truly pump out 1 million m3 per day, you would think AOT would be pumping right now so the reservoirs would be at zero...... So many of these stories do not make sense, I sometimes wonder if things are " lost in translation"....

Tried working out the above statistics regarding number of flights versus number of passengers.........20,000 / 33 flights = 606 pasengers per flight!!......130,000 / 800 = 162 passengers per flight!!

Keep in mind, the word "expected"

The Pattaya Mail had a more current number; Currently, only 800 flights per day use the facilities with an average load of 100,000 passengers, said Wilaiwan Natwilai, Suvarnabhumi Airport spokesperson.

The Pattaya Mail had a more current number; Currently, only 800 flights per day use the facilities with an average load of 100,000 passengers, said Wilaiwan Natwilai, Suvarnabhumi Airport spokesperson.

Also, keep in mind, the word, "October".

This AOT report was issued (Oct 28th) with only three days of the month remaining. Now that you have pointed out the word, "expected" don't you find the report even more unreliable, you would think the expected figure to be somewhere near the actual figure with only three days to go!

I'm curious, how did the Pattaya Mail issue a more current number than an AOT report from yesterday??

Whenever the PM assures you of something you start to worry. They said that Don Muang wouldn't flood, and it did. They said that FROC would most definitely stay at DM, and now it's moving. (To another building on Vipiwahdi road, does this seem like a bad idea to anyone else?) Why not move FROC to the safety of the international airport if that is the one place that will never fail? I have no ability to believe a single word the PM says at this point. I am getting my family out of Thailand before this gets any worse, and I hope they can just hold it together another 24 hours.

My friend tried yesterday to book a flight from Germany to Bangkok. She wanted to come around the 10th of November. They told her no flight tickets will be issued to Bangkok! Just precaution, missing trust in reassuring Thai-authorities or do they know more then we here in LOS?

At 130K arrivals in October, how did TAT come up with 15 million tourists expected this year? Oh, must be they are doing that fuzzy math of counting all the local running around as tourism like they always do.

... anyone out there with an understanding if Suvarnabhumi can continue to operate if it is surrounded by water?

... will rail and ground access remain open? ... support services? ... fuel? ... food and water? ... staff? ... air crews?

... or, is it likely shut down?

Edited by swillowbee

At 130K arrivals in October, how did TAT come up with 15 million tourists expected this year? Oh, must be they are doing that fuzzy math of counting all the local running around as tourism like they always do.

whether it's the Thai's themselves or the translations .... there has always been a problem with the zeros here in Thailand when the numbers go above 1 million.

My friend tried yesterday to book a flight from Germany to Bangkok. She wanted to come around the 10th of November. They told her no flight tickets will be issued to Bangkok! Just precaution, missing trust in reassuring Thai-authorities or do they know more then we here in LOS?

Really? Your friend told you that airlines are no longer booking flights from Germany to BKK for Nov the 10th?

you know, with huge amount of speculations about the flood here, huge amounts of misleading and inaccurate statements by authorities, there REALLY should be no room here for deliberate bullshit. Searched 3 carriers for your friendd 10 minutes ago, check the results below

Lufthansa to bkk departing on Nov 10

post-93591-0-20685900-1319884351_thumb.jpg

Air Berlin to bkk departing Nov 10

post-93591-0-11737000-1319884436_thumb.jpg

KLM to bkk departing Nov 10

post-93591-0-22921100-1319884521_thumb.jpg

post-93591-0-20685900-1319884351_thumb.j

post-93591-0-11737000-1319884436_thumb.j

post-93591-0-22921100-1319884521_thumb.j

woody1 Post # 3

Also for many estates they find the water is coming back up the storm (or sewerage) drains - no flood gates on them, or praps clogged with garbage? :blink:

FROC should froc off to Berlin?

So I'm struggling to understand what it is they are doing differently at Swampy having had a PR disaster last time. Sounds like they are bullshitting in the same old way a second time around.

I'm no engineer but did anyone else think that a wall of 3.5 metres high and only 37 inches at its base made of soil (the top part of which has settled for all of 15 days) hasn't a cat in hells chance of withstanding a wall of water, should that arise? I hope it never gets tested at any significant depth.

So I'm struggling to understand what it is they are doing differently at Swampy having had a PR disaster last time. Sounds like they are bullshitting in the same old way a second time around.

I'm no engineer but did anyone else think that a wall of 3.5 metres high and only 37 inches at its base made of soil (the top part of which has settled for all of 15 days) hasn't a cat in hells chance of withstanding a wall of water, should that arise? I hope it never gets tested at any significant depth.

You are not engineer but you should know the difference between "meter","kilometer" and "inch"?

There is interesting and competent article in Wiki about airport,read it.

woody1 Post # 3

Good point That could be the reason for the water in the reservoirs.

Does anyone else also remember talk of upgrading U-Tapao International Airport following the "yellow shirt" occupation of Swampy back in 2009??

I guess this fell by the wayside, or went in the "too difficult file".

I would have thought this option would have come in handy should flood waters hit Swampy!! I haven't even read anywhere that diverting flights has even been considered by AOT, should the worst happen??

Also, keep in mind, the word, "October".

This AOT report was issued (Oct 28th) with only three days of the month remaining. Now that you have pointed out the word, "expected" don't you find the report even more unreliable, you would think the expected figure to be somewhere near the actual figure with only three days to go!

I'm curious, how did the Pattaya Mail issue a more current number than an AOT report from yesterday??

I'm watching this unfold nervously to say the least , as I'm due into Swampy on Wed 02nd Nov, verry worrying times, not that I wish, or intend to belittle the plight of millions who are already suffering for the sake my own safety or comfort! I can always change my travel plans.

I have posted several times on this topic, hoping for some real, accurate advise (some of which I have received, thanks to intelligent members), and pointed out that there are serious (basic) math mistakes in the AOT report. The only poster to question me was about as far from the mark (and refered to a Pattaya Rag) as he could possibly be, by refering to the Pattaya Mail (also probably out of date) for his informtion!! MODS, I hope this doesn't go down the wrong way, this is not a flame, but fact, in approximately the same time of being members a particular member has managed to post some 7000 posts versus my 27 (ish), tells me more about talking and not listening............

Still no mention of U-Tapao, or any other re-routing should the worst happen!!! Great planning, but hey, who am I to say Thai Goverments are novices at forward thinking / planning???

Has anyone else been able to work out the AOT numbers?? I have tried numerous methods, and have come to the conclusion that the report is either a poor translation, or AOT are playing with, " two decks of cards" in their reporting methods (lies)!!

If anyone can provide any substantiated updates regarding the Swampy situation, I would be most gladly to read them.