PM Yingluck: Bangkok’s Floods Likely To Recede In First Week Of Nov

webfact

For once I agree with GK, this constant shouting for a coup is rather disturbing.

I'd call it bizarre... inability to learn from the past, maybe? A coup has been tried and was a colossal failure, even people who were happy Mr. T. was ousted - myself amongst them - had to admit that. You can choose yellow or red vampires, they still suck your blood.

It should also be obvious that a coup cannot drain water.... all in all would be the worst thing that could happen right now.

Also in defense of Yingluck, at least she cares... public displays of sorrow may not help anybody, but it shows that she's actually doing all she can to make this better. She's maybe not the smartest person in Thailand, and there may be people who know more about floods. Being surrounded by braindead cronies of her brother doesn't help her either. But... she's trying. She cares. It took her a while but it sounds like she's listening to the right experts now. It's not like she has an efficient system in her hands either, with 18 to 20 different government entities responsible for various things vital to flood control. Would Thaksin or Abhisit have done better in a 50 year flood?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK, Oct 29 -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Saturday said she believed the floodwater in Bangkok could reduce by the first week of November if relevant agencies could control the drainage of water, while the government has made preparations to rehabilitate public, agricultural and industrial sectors.

She also urged shops not to stockpile consumer goods to help solve the shortage of supplies to people.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-10-29

See ? But it's too late now. Once you say it will last one month, yes, people stockpile. Unfortunately saying now that everything will be better in three days will not refill the shelves...

Early on, Yunglick (as I like to call her) was critisized for not giving dire enough predictions, for not warning everyone that Bangkok stood a high chance of being completely inundated.

Now she is being critisized for having finally come out with the worst predictions.

Which is it? She should have given the worst possible predictions, or she shouldn't have?

If she refrained from being honest about the worst possible outcomes, Bangkok residents failed to evacuate and/or stockpile, and the worst occured, what then? Hundreds of thousands (millions) of stranded, hungry, thirsty people, that's what.

There is absolutely no perfect way to handle a disaster the size of which Thailand has been facing. If you want to find ways to discredit the prime minister, in such a situation, well, its really easy to do, no matter who they may be.

PS - much of the stockpiling isn't by people in the potential flood areas. Even residents of Chonburi, where there are no floods, are stock-piling. Why? Because the flooding that has already occured has cut off a lot of the production and distribution of various basic goods - millions of chickens drowned, shortage of eggs. Bottled water production facilities closed due to flooding. Diaper and formula production/distribution disrupted due to floods (I have a baby, I can testify to this one....). These disruptions in production/distribution have been to actual flooding, not due to speculation based on government warnings.

If Yingluck tells: "Bangkok's Floods Likely To Recede In First Week Of Nov" we can be sure that we have flood longer than 1 week.

TV just showed our area with approx. 30 days of floods.

I think enough of this nonsense, can, please, someone make a coup?

And a coup will solve the flooding? Will the rains and run off stop?

Your comment demonstrates the selfesh perspective of many of the foreigners whining and complaining. You don't care about anyoone else except your perceived needs.

It is irresponsible and reprehensible for you to advocate an illegal act that would toss aside a democratically elected government all because you a guest in the country is unhappy.

Is it any wonder why some Thais despise foreigners when some foreigners advocate criminal acts against the people of Thailand?

The army is not too interested in having to deal with the red shirts again, as they would have to in the event of a coup, as well as the floods which are keeping them very busy, while police oversee looting and their normal corruption. It is no wonder that some foreigners despise certain other foreigners who advocate repression of free speech for foreigners living here using the silly "guest" argument. But then repression of the media is very much on the agenda of the current government.

It is not freedom of speech to advocate the illegal overthrow of an elected government. For people that claim to support law and oder and good government, you are promoting a criminal act by advocating a coup. I am surprised the comments remain on this thread as they are illegal. If you do not understand how arrogant and ridiculous it is for a foreigner to spout off that the lawfully existing legally government should be overthrown because they are unhappy,, then there is not much else to say. Along with freedom of expression come responsibilities. It is irresponsible to foment unrest during a national crisis.

Irrigation Dept says Bkk could yet scrape through if there's no major barrier damage btw now-Nov 6. -@ktnews/via@tulsathit

After Nov 6, sea tide won't factor as threat, leaving only northern runoff and floodwater around Bkk to deal with: Irrigation Dept/via@tulsathit

It is not freedom of speech to advocate the illegal overthrow of an elected government. For people that claim to support law and oder and good government, you are promoting a criminal act by advocating a coup. I am surprised the comments remain on this thread as they are illegal. If you do not understand how arrogant and ridiculous it is for a foreigner to spout off that the lawfully existing legally government should be overthrown because they are unhappy,, then there is not much else to say. Along with freedom of expression come responsibilities. It is irresponsible to foment unrest during a national crisis.

I have to agree with Gkid. It doesn't do to ask for a coup. On the other hand we had lots of people saying "there will be a coup", for more than a year now I think. I've been promised one by a poster, way back early this year. April/May 2011 seemed inevitable <_<

Irrigation Dept says Bkk could yet scrape through if there's no major barrier damage btw now-Nov 6. -@ktnews/via@tulsathit

After Nov 6, sea tide won't factor as threat, leaving only northern runoff and floodwater around Bkk to deal with: Irrigation Dept/via@tulsathit

I must admit after the sixth is still in the first week of November. Doesn't say anything about 'waters receding thoughh :ermm:

"she is confident Bangkok’s flooding will recede in the first week of November"

If Yingluck tells: "Bangkok's Floods Likely To Recede In First Week Of Nov" we can be sure that we have flood longer than 1 week.

What you saw on TV was a worse case scenario not the most likely scenario. It's obvious that the most likely outcome is no flooding or light flooding in central Bangkok. Central Thailand floods are receding. Stop thinking the worse case will happen. It's unlikely.

Not all of us live in the center of the universe, aka central Bangkok. Some of us, like h90 and me, are in West Bangkok, where there is virtually no protection. I've got 80 cm of water out in the middle of my street and it's ankle deep inside my house and the water is still rising. You have no perspective broader than your television set.

Edited by zydeco

BANGKOK, Oct 29 -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Saturday said she believed the floodwater in Bangkok could reduce by the first week of November if relevant agencies could control the drainage of water, while the government has made preparations to rehabilitate public, agricultural and industrial sectors.

She also urged shops not to stockpile consumer goods to help solve the shortage of supplies to people.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-10-29

See ? But it's too late now. Once you say it will last one month, yes, people stockpile. Unfortunately saying now that everything will be better in three days will not refill the shelves...

Early on, Yunglick (as I like to call her) was critisized for not giving dire enough predictions, for not warning everyone that Bangkok stood a high chance of being completely inundated.

Now she is being critisized for having finally come out with the worst predictions.

Which is it? She should have given the worst possible predictions, or she shouldn't have?

If she refrained from being honest about the worst possible outcomes, Bangkok residents failed to evacuate and/or stockpile, and the worst occured, what then? Hundreds of thousands (millions) of stranded, hungry, thirsty people, that's what.

There is absolutely no perfect way to handle a disaster the size of which Thailand has been facing. If you want to find ways to discredit the prime minister, in such a situation, well, its really easy to do, no matter who they may be.

PS - much of the stockpiling isn't by people in the potential flood areas. Even residents of Chonburi, where there are no floods, are stock-piling. Why? Because the flooding that has already occured has cut off a lot of the production and distribution of various basic goods - millions of chickens drowned, shortage of eggs. Bottled water production facilities closed due to flooding. Diaper and formula production/distribution disrupted due to floods (I have a baby, I can testify to this one....). These disruptions in production/distribution have been to actual flooding, not due to speculation based on government warnings.

Fair point. But it's exactly when the resources are low that their distribution become more important. Yes, the production of many goods has been interrupted, but stocks could have lasted longer.

Communication in a disaster time is essential, and I agree that it's extremely difficult ti find what to say, what to hide, and when. People need to know the truth, but nobody wants to create a panic neither. But contradictions always do damage. And not only to credibility.

ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE was such an uproar from the red affiliated about Abhisit going to Bali for 2 days....

Gee, that guy sure does get around. :rolleyes:

What guy...Chalerm???? Dunno no seems to have seen him.. Do YOU know where he is. As he IS 2nd deputy Primeminister after all.. Strange that he is out of sight for so long....

ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE was such an uproar from the red affiliated about Abhisit going to Bali for 2 days....

What guy...Chalerm???? Dunno no seems to have seen him.. Do YOU know where he is. As he IS 2nd deputy Primeminister after all.. Strange that he is out of sight for so long....

No, I mean't Abhisit, only the other day he was in the Maldives. :)

this is good news

but I have a question and I'm sorry if I missed something over the last 2 weeks but

WHERE IS ..........."CHALERM"   this guy has gone from being extremmely loud to ..........nothing

I must say this is very strange.................was he the government minister that ordered the dams to stay shut a few months ago so he is in hiding or has he been sacked or has he the ability to desert his post at a time of great need

his silence is very loud

ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE was such an uproar from the red affiliated about Abhisit going to Bali for 2 days.... Where is CHALERM and the other likely lads.

After all he IS  a deputy prime minister.

Rats...  Ship...  Sinking...

No, I mean't Abhisit, only the other day he was in the Maldives. :)

OOOPS. I got mixed up....hahahaha. Maldives it was. Still where is Chalerm... it is always dangerous when you can't SEE the snake.

OOOPS. I got mixed up....hahahaha. Maldives it was. Still where is Chalerm... it is always dangerous when you can't SEE the snake.

Chalerm is busy overseeing police activities to ensure there's no looting - according to the other paper. Sounds like the makings of an inactive post. :rolleyes:

Chalerm is busy overseeing police activities to ensure there's no looting - according to the other paper. Sounds like the makings of an inactive post. :rolleyes:

Really!.... Inactive post...bloody good idea.

Re-shuffling police activities, I think ... and getting laws changed to give the police chief the right to shut down media.

Re-shuffling police activities, I think ... and getting laws changed to give the police chief the right to shut down media.

Well considering the moaners of Tvisa have been shouting about too many people giving out conflicting information..............it would appear to me more should follow his approach of getting on with the business and maintaining an intelligent silence......

Well considering the moaners of Tvisa have been shouting about too many people giving out conflicting information..............it would appear to me more should follow his approach of getting on with the business and maintaining an intelligent silence......

Well, considering that he most likely would become PM should some tragedy befall Yingluck, I think he should be working with her at FROC. But that's just an opinion...

Your comment demonstrates the selfesh perspective of many of the foreigners whining and complaining. You don't care about anyoone else except your perceived needs.

It is irresponsible and reprehensible for you to advocate an illegal act that would toss aside a democratically elected government all because you a guest in the country is unhappy.

Is it any wonder why some Thais despise foreigners when some foreigners advocate criminal acts against the people of Thailand?

But you do accept that a coup in the next few days will do very little to help the situation ? As said by other people, why would the military do a coup now ? If they did, well, they will be the ones getting the crap thrown at them from this flood.

For once I agree with GK, this constant shouting for a coup is rather disturbing.

Yes, it is inane.

Let their term run its due course and let them do all the mistakes that they will do.

Only, and I repeat ONLY, if they enact or legislate laws that clearly goes against the spirit of the nation and constitution should a call for a coup even be considered. As the last resort,a reset-button on a hanged computer. Not before, and not before it absolutely is the last possible resort.

Whether what Yingluck said is true or not remains to be seen. I don't have a crystal ball, nor does anyone else. However, if true, then this is good news for EVERYONE, except those who delight in criticising every statement that she makes as this sort of takes the wind out of their sails.

Not surprising however, that the first few posts are more of the same critical comments, though somewhat deflated, as exemplified by the desperate plea for a coup.

And it is very very irresponsible and very very reprehensible that the paymaster (as per his own statements "Thaksin thinks.....") came up with lots of handouts, and using a smokescreen which he calls democracy and equal justice, won an election (read manipulated the masses) and the promises have not been delivered, and he dumped his totally inexperienced sister into the PMs chair and then surrounded her with totally incapable insincere thugs and cronies. All just for the selfish whims of one highly irresponsible and highly reprehensible convicted criminal.

Nobody could have stopped the floods, but there could have been much better management of the whole situation and the result is that 360 people have died, and several million people have lost everything with no resources left whatever. All for the whims of your scaly idol who claims he is the champion of the poor etc.

Actually g'kid, I don't complain and whine in regard to my own needs, I just want a more honest and more capable government run by intelligent capable sincere people for the sake of my children and my grandchildren. It that allowable under your principles / is that a fair request?

Surely you have lived in Thailand long enough to realise that this is highly unlikely. If you feel so strongly about it, why not take some real action, as opposed to just mouthing off in a forum?

Your well thought out points are rather spoilt by your comments about the residents of New Orleans taking pot shots at aid helicopters, this never happened - it was a false news story that was so widely circulated and re-reported that it morphed into fact. Its a shame that you have repeated it here. Otherwise your points about the USA's response to Katrina are bang on and I think there in lies the parallel - political failure leading to disaster. I suspect that both Katrina and the current floods could have been dealt with much more effectively with more, sustained investment and political leadership.

The army is not too interested in having to deal with the red shirts again, as they would have to in the event of a coup, as well as the floods which are keeping them very busy, while police oversee looting and their normal corruption. It is no wonder that some foreigners despise certain other foreigners who advocate repression of free speech for foreigners living here using the silly "guest" argument. But then repression of the media is very much on the agenda of the current government.

Spare us the lecture about governance. You were entirely happy to dispense with electoral law when it suited your favourite political party, hypocrite.

There is no way there is going to a coup in the immediate future. There is no mood for one and it would be rather impractical at this point in time.

Edited by Crushdepth

of course the tide will go down, BUT! - then it depends on many factors and how they are handled until the next high tide will come.

When they can manage to drain the klongs in Bkk that have filled to the max. within a week and to previous level than it should be over, otherwise more areas will be flooded the next time.

When it's not raining and a flood is imminent it will start with coming through the cracks of the the road before the klongs spill over, probably due to the swamp underneath. I observed that last time when they opened the flood-gates. That was really narrow for spilling a toxic cocktail all over the city. You can also see it coming through the drainage on the roads first.

Then of course it depends also on the weather.

It's not all over yet.

Just saw the delivery of another army truckload with evacuees to the national stadium. They seem to have come from a badly hit area.

The worst apparently over: Agriculture Minister Posted 2011-10-16 21:40:25

BANGKOK: -- Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut assured Bangkok residents living along the Chao Phraya River that the worst is over, as water peaked yesterday at 2.29 metres against the 2.5-metre flood barrier height.

At the Flood Relief Operations Centre press conference today, he added that water level in Singburi and Ayutthaya tends to be lower today as massive run-off from Nakhon Sawan has passed Bangkok.

This is an assurance to Bangkok residents, now that all five industrial estates in Ayutthaya are submerged in water, with Factory Land being the latest victim. Full efforts are being mobilised to protect Nava Nakorn Industrial Estate and Bang Kradi Industrial Estate in Pathum Thani.

Royal Irrigation Department Director-General Chalit Damrongsak added that from this day on, the water level in Chao Phraya River will stabilise while water from Ayutthaya will be diverted to East of Bangkok and possibly Chiang Rak Noi in Pathum Thani with consent from villagers.

He also thanked residents along Rangsit Khlong 8-10 for their cooperation. Now, the department is putting as many pumps as possible at Khlong 10 to drain water to the Gulf of Thailand.

He said that as much water as possible would be drained before the sea level would rise during October 28-30.

At the subsequent press conference, FROC also announced that the Royal Thai Army would handle the water management in five provinces - Nakhon Sawan, Ayutthaya, Lop Buri, Pathum Thani and Nonthaburi.

Amid news that foreign travellers are cancelling their trips to Thailand, FROC said that Suvarnabhumi Airport and other transportation modes as well as hotels in Bangkok are safe from floods.

Ring any bells ? whistling.gif

Mabye "Swampy" is safe from flooding, but what happens if the power been cut?

Then Swampy no longer is an International Airport.

" maintaining an intelligent silence....." What an interesting concept, though i can see where you're coming from, as every time he speaks he sounds more stupid.

Now can we discuss his "beautiful invisibility".................with a line of reasoning much the same?

Edited by OzMick

PM calls on Bangkokians to be patient for three more days

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra Saturday begged Bangkokians to be patient for three more days, saying the flood situation would improve on Tuesday.

Speaking during her weekly radio program, Yingluck said the situation would be worsened from Saturday to Monday because of the sea high tide.

She said the flood level would reduce after the high tide because not all massive floodwaters would flow overland into Bangkok as earlier expected.

She said floodwaters in upstream provinces had gradually flown downstream via several canals instead of flowing overland to inundate Bangkok as earlier expected.

She said the authorities were also running against time to drain the overflow waters via Saen Sab, Thawee Wattana and other canals.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-29

Tuesday, which tuesday is that? Utter BS from the mouth of a child as usual. We are under 1.3 metres of flood (she told us no more than 0.5 metre two days ago) and it will get a lot higher before this miracle next tuesday.