Thais Saving Their Pets From The Floods

Big grin, Tywais. I've got multiple phone calls from Bangkokians who are fleeing the floods up north and are bringing their pets with them. All much loved and very-well taken care of dogs.

Not to even mention the many many volunteers who are working their guts out to save hundreds of dogs, cats and other big and small animals.

Hi all,

unfortunately is this nor for all!!! Sme people who were forced to leave their homes and were brought to other more safe places were not allowed to also bring their pets... these dogs and cats need help mostly left in locked cages without water and food!Not to mention all the Soi ogs and cats who have absolutely noboy to take care on them and to help them to survive.

...and the animal rescue teams do what they can to save as much pets as they can... Kindly read the following and if you can help! Thanks a lot for taking the time nto reading this:

http://www.soidog.org/en/newsletter%2Dsign%2Dup/past%2Dnewsletters/flood%2Drelief/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Flood+26-10-2011&utm_content=Flood+26-10-2011+CID_12ca107aaa90cb0bd333d70daba96be2&utm_source=Email+marketing+software&utm_term=Click+Here

Edited by TinaKohChang

Flies in the face of some members who say Thai's don't care about their pets. ;)

Big ditto, Tywais. I know some Thais who are often short of food, living close to the poverty level themselves, but somehow their dogs never go hungry and I know who will be fed if they are short as a result of the flood. Some people judge how much someone loves or cares about their pets by the amount of money they spend on them, without stopping to think about the amount of money they have to spend period.

That doesn't apply to everyone, obviously, but these generalities seldom do.:jap:

Good Morning,

who said that Thais don' t care about their pets?

It is a sad fact that people who were rescued to safer places in Bangko were NOT allowed to take their animals with them, so many people brought their pets (locked in cages) to higher levels hoping that they would be able to return home quick but since the floods get worse the people can not return home to take care on their animals and pets. animal rescue teams do what they can but there is huge and urgent need of help.

Guys, instead of posting useless comments in here, why not helping with donations of food, medicine or even money?!

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reading this.

Flies in the face of some members who say Thai's don't care about their pets. ;)

Big ditto, Tywais. I know some Thais who are often short of food, living close to the poverty level themselves, but somehow their dogs never go hungry and I know who will be fed if they are short as a result of the flood. Some people judge how much someone loves or cares about their pets by the amount of money they spend on them, without stopping to think about the amount of money they have to spend period.

That doesn't apply to everyone, obviously, but these generalities seldom do.:jap:

@ ALL

Please do not believe easily what is being told in the press!!! Even if people would not want to leave their pets behind, they are forced to!!!!

Unfortunately is the article at Globalpost bullshit because just half trute..."humans are leaving no animals behind" Simply untrue!!!

Large scale evacuations of people are currently occurring in the worst affected areas of the Bangkok area. People being evacuated are typically not allowed to take their pets and these dogs and cats as well as thousands of strays are left behind.

Soi Dog Foundation which I support, for example is working with groups in the Bangkok area to rescue these animals. These groups are not large animal welfare agencies but rather smaller groups working around the clock to save the dogs and cats before it is to late. Time is running out and they need your help. Your support will go towards rescue, veterinary care, shelter and rehoming for the dogs and cats.

Please help generously as you can today! Time is of the essence in saving the lives of these animals!... Soi dogs and cats have died already many hundreds and many are still in danger...

The pics here in You Tube say more than thousand words!!!

!

And once again food, medical, financial donations and any other help is highly appreciated!!!![

post-61315-0-08329600-1319951846_thumb.j

post-61315-0-03660000-1319951849_thumb.j

post-61315-0-47132800-1319951852_thumb.j

post-61315-0-10622200-1319951856_thumb.j

post-61315-0-05202600-1319951860_thumb.j

Thnk you Nienke!!!!

Soi Dog Foundation on CNN: http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-696413

Soi Dog Foundation together with WWFT in Ayuthaya: https://www.facebook...150339654276430

All these animals need to eat, drink and medical attention. For support, please, go to the following websites:

http://www.soidog.org/en/flood-relief/

http://www.wfft.org/donate.html

Unfortunately is the article at Globalpost bullshit because just half trute..."humans are leaving no animals behind" Simply untrue!!!

It is simply meant as a positive comment on the people who are shown in the photos. It does not mean that no people anywhere in Thailand have to leave pets behind.

If you think your screaming foul-mouthed post will encourage people to make donations, I doubt it. I certainly now have second thoughts if you represent the sort of people at Soi Dogs.

@ Suradit,

Why so touchy overthere?<_<

There is no need to get offensive, I criticise the article of GlobalPost which you mentioned in your post, I am not critisising you! Please note that I am not shouting foul mouthed. The mentioned article is extenuating sad reality and that is all what I say! I feel with the people who had and have to sadly leave their pets behind since they are not allowed to take their pets with them.

It doesn' t really matter but I want to clarify that I DID NOT say that I represent Soi Dog Foundation, what I said is that I am supporting them, as I do with various other organisations by the way. They are doing an amazing job and not only for the animal flood victims!

Kindly read my posts right! Thank you very much.

It is simply meant as a positive comment on the people who are shown in the photos. It does not mean that no people anywhere in Thailand have to leave pets behind.

If you think your screaming foul-mouthed post will encourage people to make donations, I doubt it. I certainly now have second thoughts if you represent the sort of people at Soi Dogs.

Please, Suradit, do not have second thoughts about Soi Dog Foundation, or any of the other rescue groups. They are working so hard in order to rescue as many animals as they can.

I do not believe that Tina's post was meant personally. More a reaction in the heat of the moment, where she (I think) fears that people may be put of by these sentences in the Global post and then reconsider helping out, while help is SO much needed at the moment, not only for the animal of course, also for the people.

Personally, I do not represent any of the rescue groups, but I do support their absolutely great and hard work.

Edit: Oh, cross-posted with Tina's last post. :)

Edited by Nienke

Let's calm down a bit guys, I believe we are all on the same side on this. TinaKohChang - you have made your point and verging on ranting which is obviously starting to create friction. A lot of good information has been supplied as to how to help. As for the Global, the comment was 'humans are leaving no pets behind' - perhaps they should have added 'willingly' to be more accurate. ;)

I thin that in fairness its worth pointing out that evacuating people and leaving pets behind is the usual government policy in these sort of situations in most countries - it was the policy followed after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, for example. It is simply a question of priorities and allocating very limited resources, and most people would find it unacceptable for a government to allocate resources to rescuing pets and stray animals when those same resources could be used to rescue people. This sort of work has always been done by individuals and pet owners and by animal welfare organisations, large and small, who can operate and use their own resources as they see fit; no government, anywhere, can operate like that.

Rather than being "bullshit" the report in Global is correct, as Suradit said - the entire article reads: "As the floodwaters rise in Bangkok and its residents begin to flee, they aren't forgetting their pets. Whether street dogs or household animals, humans are leaving no pets behind." It doesn't say or imply in any way that owners can or cannot take their pets with them when evacuated or that there is no need to help the various rescue organisations (also "humans") who are trying to ensure that no pets (or other animals) are left behind.

Hate to be a party pooper and I hope most people are able to rescue their pets. The upside of the floods may be that when the waters finally subside there will have been a massive reduction in the number of stray dogs menacing BKK residents.:jap:

I want to take the chance to forward an meail which just arrived from the Soi Dog Foundation Team, kindly take the time to read, maybe you are able to help or know someone who could?!

In case you want to make a food, medical, financial donation or animal related donation in kind please visit their webaddress for more info! Thank you for your kind attention!

"

Please Help Animal Flood Victims Today!

It is vitally important to understand the gravity of this situation in terms of its impact on animals.Many thanks to those of you who have donated towards saving the lives of animal flood victims in Bangkok. Emergency teams are continuing work across Bangkok where tens of thousands of animals are at risk. Khun Pawena and her team pictured above are just some of the many people working day and night to save animal's lives. Through your support Soi Dog was able to help Pawena and her team source and purchase an engine for their rescue boat. Another boat has just been delivered to one of the other field rescue groups at work in Bangkok. However rescue teams need more and bigger boats urgently.

Your help is still urgently needed

With flood waters reaching over two meters in depth in some areas the animals cannot survive without your help! One of our rescuers described to me in tears the sight of dozens of dead dogs floating past her teams boat while en route to rescue dogs and cats from an area of severe flooding. I have the deepest respect for these selfess and unpaid volunteers who are literally risking their lives to save those of the animals.

The magnitude of the situation is impossible to describe. As the flood waters recede your support will become even more important. Thousands of animals will require veterinary treatment. Temporary care and shelter will be required for countless more. Relief Operations manager of TREAT Bangkok, Khun Tharinee is already beginning to deal with the matter of well over 1,000 dogs and cats in the Tammasart area alone. The number of people evacuating from Bangkok continues to grow leaving many more animals in need. Bangkok has a large population of street animals who depend on the human urban environment for their survival and without a resident human population they have nowhere to turn!

Soi Dog and TREAT Bangkok will be there for these animals and will do whatever it takes to help them. Please stand by us at this critically important time. Your support will save lives.

Volunteer Veterinarians are urgently needed. For additional information please contact Edwin Wiek at: //removed email// .

Dog Catching Equipment including nets and cat poles are

also needed. An emergency appeal fund has been established. Donations may be made online at: www.soidog.org/en/flood-relief.

All donations go directly to helping the animals in distress.

Sincerely,

John Dalley

//removed e-mail//

www.soidog.org

Edited by Tywais
E-mail removed as per forum rules

Dog Rescue in Nakon Sawan (English):

[/url]:

When heavy flooding hit the residents of Nakon Sawan people were forced to abandon their pets and flee to higher ground. Sangduen (Lek) Chailert took a team of volunteers and staff from the Elephant Nature Foundation to bring food and medicine and care for as many of the suffering and starving animals as possible. The animals are now being cared for at a temple by the Foundation's resident vet and volunteers.

Soi Dog Foundation

Special Request from Partner Organisation SCAD Your help IS needed! The Maen Si Rescue Center for animals needs volunteers each morning before 9AM to assist in with feeding and cage cleaning for the nearly 300 animals located at the facility. SCAD has already taken in some of the cats from the center and has also pro...vided medication and vaccines but much more help is needed to keep the animals at the facility healthy. The Maen Si center is located at the old Maen Si waterworks on Maen Si Rd near Wora Chak Rd, close to Wat Saket. For more information, you can follow up on this thread or email amy(at)scadbangkok.org. We hope you can join us there!

Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand

Another busy day at WFFT, TREAT and Soi dogs pet rescue. We have now also teamed up with Elephant Nature Park who are now using one of our boats to rescue more animals and brought in 30 dogs last night for temporary shelter with us. Today 70 dogs are on the way from TREAT and 20 more from ENP team as well... We are still very busy and still need your help. You can donate to us or soi dogs, it will all be used for our joint efforts.

Soi Dog Foundation

post-27646-0-98530500-1320233326_thumb.j

Yes That is the top of a street lamp the dog is balancing on, Now rescued by Khun Bee and her team - there are hundreds of dogs and cats in similar positions all across Bangkok - Please donate and Please Share

Edited by Nienke