Colonoscopy At Ram

fearless1

I know the subject has been covered in depth, but I was just quoted a price of 20,000 baht for a Colonoscopy at Ram hospital. In looking at what others have said about the cost of the procedure, this seems a bit high. Given that others have stated that they paid 12,000 baht for the procedure, do you think the price is negotiable? I know I can get better prices at Rajavej or Siripat, but Ram is very convenient for me.

Thanks,

bb

No they do not negotiate.

At least not for me.

What do you mean by convenient Siripat is just around the corner walking distance and I am a cripple. cost of tuk tuk less than 8,000 baht.

That's one expensive tuk tuk!!

I mean it's more convenient - in the sense of being suitable to one's comfort, purpose, or needs.

I know where Sirapat is; I had shoulder surgery there recently. My point was if the costs were the same - which is what was indicated in an earlier thread - then I would go next door to Ram. Since they are not, I'll go to Raj or Sirapat.

Thanks everyone.

12,000 is for outpatient at Raj if I remember.

Paid 21000 for overnight in a suite + + + .

Overnight the night before or the night after? Seriously. I can't imagine a reason for either one but I'm curious.

I can't imagine spending the night in a hospital for a colonoscopy either. I had quite a few of them a number of years ago when I was ill and I was out of the hospital (outpatient department) within an hour of having them done each time. Only once did I need someone to pick me up because they gave me a lot of Benadryl and I was too drowsy to drive. But I was usually back to work in about 2 hours time. The effects of the Versed and Demerol wear off almost as soon as they remove the IV. It's not a big deal at all.

In Thailand they have a habit of hospitalizing people for everything and letting the bill run up. It seems insurance companies don't scrutinize the bills too much here.

I was at Lanna Hospital today and saw a brochure that said: CT COLONOSCOPY Cost quoted was 6,500 baht. BUT I don't know if that meant a CT Scan colonoscopy (never heard of doing it this way - or the real thing with the instrument up the butt.

Might want to check it out - big cost difference than RAM.

I was at Lanna Hospital today and saw a brochure that said: CT COLONOSCOPY Cost quoted was 6,500 baht. BUT I don't know if that meant a CT Scan colonoscopy (never heard of doing it this way - or the real thing with the instrument up the butt.

Might want to check it out - big cost difference than RAM.

Keep out of the way of CT unless you have to. Lots of radiation.

Overnight the night before or the night after? Seriously. I can't imagine a reason for either one but I'm curious.

There are some medical conditions that warrant at least an overnight stay for a colonoscopy-do a little research.

to expat: could you be more specific, what does T... mean???

to OP: I've had two colonoscopys done in the last 8 years in the states. First time I drove home myself about 1 hour after the procedure (wasn't suppose to) 2nd time they released me after half an hour wait and my driver signed me out. Second time they were more strict on having someone drive you home. In the states they sedate you totally but here in Thailand, they may not "put you under" as much or as long.

I've never heard of anyone that had to spend even one night in the hospital. I guess some would because they want to make sure you do not eat the night before the procedure, but I think that would be the only reason.

I had a colonoscopy 1 year ago at Lanna. They said 18 to 20k. I negotiated gently to 13k including pathology fees for 3 biopsy specimens. The trick is finding the administrator empowered to bargain. At Lanna ask for Khun Jantana, a smart & good lady who speaks English well.

Was the suite in the Meridian 9,000 baht for one night

I had a Bidirectional Endoscopy done at CM RAM about 3 years ago and it was 16,500 all in. It was done by DR WOSSAMBUT name could be wrong but it was something like that. Woke up felt like nothing happened , watched the video and got in depth analysis from the DR. Not a bad experience. Probably cheaper somewhere else but I didnt care to look around .

I'm not sure I'd ever feel comfortable having a colonoscopy at a hospital that calls itself Ram. Ouch!

If you all want to feel better about the price you paid then let me tell you that the London Hospital near Harley Street charges about £1,200 (THB 57,000)

to expat: could you be more specific, what does T... mean???

to OP: I've had two colonoscopys done in the last 8 years in the states. First time I drove home myself about 1 hour after the procedure (wasn't suppose to) 2nd time they released me after half an hour wait and my driver signed me out. Second time they were more strict on having someone drive you home. In the states they sedate you totally but here in Thailand, they may not "put you under" as much or as long.

I've never heard of anyone that had to spend even one night in the hospital. I guess some would because they want to make sure you do not eat the night before the procedure, but I think that would be the only reason.

I remember being awake and then I remember being awake after it was over. I have a video but don't care to watch it. They said I would live. Good enough for me.

A few years ago a friend in his mid eights had a colonoscopy, he was having them every six months following problems.

Following "Up Pericope" as he calls it the doctor says see you again in one year.

I saw him shortly after and he was on great form.

Looking happy says I.

John when your 86 and the Doc says see you in a year it is a boost to your system.

john

Some fifteen years ago my GP in the UK wanted me to have an endoscopy and I managed to avoid having one, stupidly I thought it all sounded like a dreadful experience that was best avoided. Now that I've finally had one I stand amazed at my previous stupidity and wonder what all the fuss was about, it's non event that everyone should have - BTW, I now have the satisfaction of knowing that all is well and the good doctor doesn't wish to see me again for a further ten years.

I have only had 1 Colonoscopy back in the states about 7 years ago. Being a bicyclist, I rode my bicycle about 10 miles to the doctor's office. The procedure was covered by my health insurance. I should have paid only for the doctor but he brought in an anesthesiologist so I got hit for the work of 2 doctors. What a ripoff, instead of paying $10 for the doctor's visit, I got hit for an additional $10, for a total of $20 ;) .

I waited about 30 minutes in his office and gently got on my racing bike and slowly road home.

There are a lot of insurance policies that don't cover out patient procedures

so being admitted can mean the insurance will pay out...

I know someone that can sell you a policy that will cover out patient endoscopy along with a number of other procedures...

pm me if you want further details :)

David

David