Flood Relief Operations Center Video Clip Reveals Donation Hoarding

Lite Beer

As is the reply:

All donations from the U.S. government are made through international non-governmental organizations, such as the Red Cross or the International Organization for Migration.
Edited by TAWP

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"@USEmbassyBKK: USAID delivers more supplies 2 assist flood victims -including boats, marine engines, pumps, & water purifiers. http://tinyurl.com/3tysus8 "

If you follow the link it's interesting to see the comments from Thai's.

It's good advice from them to the Ambassador.

Bypass the government entirely and donate to the Red Cross to manage.

The Thais posting there are representative of an overwhelming percentage of Thais.

79 per cent said the government's support was insufficient and not distributed efficiently; and 68.6 per cent said the flood relief supplies themselves did not sufficiently meet victims' needs.

About 87 percent don’t trust the information from the FROC.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4774109

Edited by Buchholz

Here another video about unused relief goods from T news.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meMsfog-eq4?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meMsfog-eq4?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meMsfog-eq4?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Boats found in Energy Ministry are solely for public donation

BANGKOK, 31 October 2011 (NNT) – Energy Ministry's spokesperson claimed the boats found in the ministry would be distributed to the people, however, the steel boats needed to be returned to the donors to save users from electrical shock.

According to Mr Patchara Naripthaphan, the Energy Ministry's spokesperson, the boats in the Ministry of Energy belong to the ministry and other organizations under the ministry.

They are being managed and distributed by the officials to ensure the efficient donation system. So far, more than 1,000 boats have been donated to the flood victims in 7 provinces and other 333 boats have been donated though the Flood Relief Operation Center (FROC).

He added that the ministry's name sign attached on the side of the boats are for making sure that the donated boats would be used for the community's benefits and not for personal purpose since they were large boats.

Nevertheless, the ministry has to return the steel boats to the donors since iron is the conductor which might pose risk of electrical shock to the users.

Mr Patchara confirmed that the donation items sent to the ministry would not be destroyed like the ones in the FROC, Don Muang Airport.

He claims that the Energy Ministry only brings the donation items to the flood victims, but it does not act as a receiver. Moreover, today more than 100 boats will be distributed, leaving about 10 boats which the nearby communities which the officials can use in cases of floods.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-10-31 footer_n.gif

snapback.pngBuchholz, on 11 minutes ago, said:

Mr Patchara confirmed that the donation items sent to the ministry would not be destroyed like the ones in the FROC, Don Muang Airport.

I am confused...are we talking about one of the I-don't-know-how-many-evidence-videos? And the goods seen on there?

Explain please: how can water destroy plastic boats and plastic toilets?

And if it can...how would these boats and toilets have been of any help, because last time I checked, boats and toilets get in contact with water quiet often...

Having viewed the video, most of the items do not look as though exposure to water would 'spoil' them.

I saw plastic portacabins (toilets) ,pallets of bottled water wrapped in clingwrap, bamboo rafts and a nice selection of small plastic boats, some with outboard engines.

I don't think they were too badly stored, but if I was a cynic I might start to think that some wealthy person lacking in ethics may have looked on this as an opportunity to start equipping his own resort on some island.

Boats, toilets, rafts? No not possible? :ermm:

If they don't hurry up and distribute this gear soon, the flood will be over.

Expect to see many ads for plastic boats for sale in the coming months.

Might get one for myself actually.:o

Items will come to a market near you, soon.

As is the reply:

All donations from the U.S. government are made through international non-governmental organizations, such as the Red Cross or the International Organization for Migration.

Great to hear that is the case :)

snapback.pngBuchholz, on 11 minutes ago, said:

I am confused...are we talking about one of the I-don't-know-how-many-evidence-videos? And the goods seen on there?

Explain please: how can water destroy plastic boats and plastic toilets?

And if it can...how would these boats and toilets have been of any help, because last time I checked, boats and toilets get in contact with water quiet often...

You'll need to check with Mr. Patchara to find out specifically what destroyed donation items he is referring to. From what I have gathered, there were items other than boats and toilets at Don Muang as, logically, he would not likely have said that donated items were destroyed.

I am definitely going to be flamed for what I about to post, maybe even have my post deleted or worse, heaven forbid, be banned from this forum.

However, I find all these discussions criticisms, especially of the current government, justified or not, very sad and pathetic. Some posters will undoubtedly say "Newbie, what do your know? Bugger off". Some will say I have not lived through the Thaksin years and therefore do not know what harm this man has done to this country. Yet others will say they have family here and therefore want what is best for the country. All I know is that I've lived in both the East and the West, the former for the last 20 or so years. In all my travels, Thailand has been my favourite.

Yes, it's a banana republic. Yes, it's corrupt to the core. Yes, the current government is incompetent (one eyed Jack is king among the blind). Yes, there is nepotism, cronyism, corruption, prostitution and any other -ion that you can think of.

However, nowhere in this world have I seen and found and pleased to say, that I live among some of the happiest people in the world. I'm grateful for every day that I'm here, grateful because the Thai people have taught and shown me to be thankful for what I have.

Sure, a lot of things that happen here on a daily basis can be improved upon, and would be rightly criticised in a Western country. But isn't that the reason that we live here, and call this country our home?

I find that the more I'm upset by things, the more thing that I find to criticise, the less happy that I am. I accept things as they are here, for better or for worse, good or bad. By being contented with things the way there are, both good and bad, my life is..... just better.

p/s: as I write this, I'm waging WW3 with 230,000 mossies, half of me is covered with Zambuk and the other half bathed in Zeptolene, but the family's having a family BBQ, my whisky and soda is nicely bathing on the rocks. I can't think of anywhere I would rather be, or anything that I would rather be doing

Edited by Gweiloman

I am definitely going to be flamed for what I about to post, maybe even have my post deleted or worse, heaven forbid, be banned from this forum.

However, I find all these discussions criticisms, especially of the current government, justified or not, very sad and pathetic. Some posters will undoubtedly say "Newbie, what do your know? Bugger off". Some will say I have not lived through the Thaksin years and therefore do not know what harm this man has done to this country. Yet others will say they have family here and therefore want what is best for the country. All I know is that I've lived in both the East and the West, the former for the last 20 or so years. In all my travels, Thailand has been my favourite.

Yes, it's a banana republic. Yes, it's corrupt to the core. Yes, the current government is incompetent (one eyed Jack is king among the blind). Yes, there is nepotism, cronyism, corruption, prostitution and any other -ion that you can think of.

However, nowhere in this world have I seen and found and pleased to say, that I live among some of the happiest people in the world. I'm grateful for every day that I'm here, grateful because the Thai people have taught and shown me to be thankful for what I have.

Sure, a lot of things that happen here on a daily basis can be improved upon, and would be rightly criticised in a Western country. But isn't that the reason that we live here, and call this country our home?

I find that the more I'm upset by things, the more thing that I find to criticise, the less happy that I am. I accept things as they are here, for better or for worse, good or bad. By being contented with things the way there are, both good and bad, my life is..... just better.

p/s: as I write this, I'm waging WW3 with 230,000 mossies, half of me is covered with Zambuk and the other half bathed in Zeptolene, but the family's having a family BBQ, my whisky and soda is nicely bathing on the rocks. I can't think of anywhere I would rather be, or anything that I would rather be doing

Clearly you do NOT speak Thai.

Clearly you do NOT speak Thai.

So?

Clearly you are one of those disillusioned souls.

Good for you ! You point out many things that are wrong in this country and yet like so many people, you love it here. Agree with you completely.

As to the forum and its ... let's say "qualities & charm", ... some folks have the ability to see a cloud in every silver lining.

B)

So?

Funny how if one doesn't agree with YOUR point of view they are disillusioned.. sorry to break it to you but I am anything but. I guess I just need more than Thailand has to offer in every way. Been here quite a while and moving on soon not soon enough.. but you are totally entitled to YOUR view of living here, but again just because someone does not agree with you or have the same life goals does not make their goals any less valid than yours.

If you did speak Thai fluently you would see a whole different world than you do now... fact... anyone that tries to tell you otherwise is a liar plain and simple. Knowing the language is a double edged sword for sure.

So?

Funny how if one doesn't agree with YOUR point of view they are disillusioned.. sorry to break it to you but I am anything but. I guess I just need more than Thailand has to offer in every way. Been here quite a while and moving on soon not soon enough.. but you are totally entitled to YOUR view of living here, but again just because someone does not agree with you or have the same life goals does not make their goals any less valid than yours.

If you did speak Thai fluently you would see a whole different world than you do now... fact... anyone that tries to tell you otherwise is a liar plain and simple. Knowing the language is a double edged sword for sure.

I do not disagree with the gist of your post. You have lived here, it does not offer you whatever it is that you are looking for in life and you have decided to move on. Good for you!!

As to whether anyone's goals are less valid than mine, that's not the point at all. Most of us here have worked hard all our lives and are looking forward to a nice existence before departing. I believe that to be the ultimate goal for most of us. The disillusioned souls are those that don't actually know what they want and not finding it here in Thailand, resort to just criticism and negativity. In my life, I have come across a lot of bitter people, but none more so that many of the very vocal and bullying posters.

Your reply that I do not speak Thai makes no sense to me whatsoever. In fact, if by not speaking Thai I get to see the silver lining in every cloud (thank you Tlansford), then good for me I say.

Anyone who tries to tell me that they see a different world from me is not a liar - just one who has not accepted the realities of this life and learnt to live with it. Life is short for some of us - why spend our remaining days drowning in self pity and bitterness when there is so much to enjoy about living in Thailand? It's far from perfect - but as close to Nirvana as I have encountered in my long and weary life. I am so blessed to have been bestowed the opportunity to live out my remaining days in the Land of Smiles.

Edited by Gweiloman

I do not disagree with the gist of your post. You have lived here, it does not offer you whatever it is that you are looking for in life and you have decided to move on. Good for you!!

As to whether anyone's goals are less valid than mine, that's not the point at all. Most of us here have worked hard all our lives and are looking forward to a nice existence before departing. I believe that to be the ultimate goal for most of us. The disillusioned souls are those that don't actually know what they want and not finding it here in Thailand, resort to just criticism and negativity. In my life, I have come across a lot of bitter people, but none more so that many of the very vocal and bullying posters.

Your reply that I do not speak Thai makes no sense to me whatsoever. In fact, if by not speaking Thai I get to see the silver lining in every cloud (thank you Tlansford), then good for me I say.

Anyone who tries to tell me that they see a different world from me is not a liar - just one who has not accepted the realities of this life and learnt to live with it. Life is short for some of us - why spend our remaining days drowning in self pity and bitterness when there is so much to enjoy about living in Thailand? It's far from perfect - but as close to Nirvana as I have encountered in my long and weary life. I am so blessed to have been bestowed the opportunity to live out my remaining days in the Land of Smiles.

I guess I can't accept the point of view that you have about living in denial being a good thing. I only mean that in reference to speaking Thai. If you do not speak the language (which clearly you don't) and you are happy with not knowing what goes on around you than I say good for you if that is a way you can live and you've found Thailand to be a Nirvana I say all the more power to you. If you knew what was said around you and the way those smiles you so love betray the nature of the people behind them you would likely not love it here so much, but if that does not matter to you, again glad you found what you are looking for.

I am not sure what you see as being so much to enjoy about Thailand it's one of the most boring places on earth if you do not partake of the nightlife and I don't. You can only ride an Elephant or visit a Temple so many times. It just goes to show you how funny life is, in all the places I've lived in my life I have found Thailand to offer the least and be the least interesting... much the opposite of you, so good for us both in finding what is and isn't right for us.. and I don't begrudge your happiness with Thailand at all...

Where as you get tired of the people not happy here that resort to being bitter etc..etc.. I get just as tired as those that are happy here assuming something must be wrong with those us that have found it's just not our cup of tea.. I should point out that at one point many years ago I talked like you and believed what I was saying.. I often tell my wife the worst thing I ever did was learn to speak Thai... *shrug* live goes on and I'm very excited for the next chapter to start.

Good luck to you.. and I imagine we should get back on Topic...

However, I find all these discussions criticisms, especially of the current government, justified or not, very sad and pathetic. Some posters will undoubtedly say "Newbie, what do your know? Bugger off".

Hahaha Don't worry about being mistaken for a 'newbie'

I guess I can't accept the point of view that you have about living in denial being a good thing. I only mean that in reference to speaking Thai. If you do not speak the language (which clearly you don't) and you are happy with not knowing what goes on around you than I say good for you if that is a way you can live and you've found Thailand to be a Nirvana I say all the more power to you. If you knew what was said around you and the way those smiles you so love betray the nature of the people behind them you would likely not love it here so much, but if that does not matter to you, again glad you found what you are looking for.

I am not sure what you see as being so much to enjoy about Thailand it's one of the most boring places on earth if you do not partake of the nightlife and I don't. You can only ride an Elephant or visit a Temple so many times. It just goes to show you how funny life is, in all the places I've lived in my life I have found Thailand to offer the least and be the least interesting... much the opposite of you, so good for us both in finding what is and isn't right for us.. and I don't begrudge your happiness with Thailand at all...

Where as you get tired of the people not happy here that resort to being bitter etc..etc.. I get just as tired as those that are happy here assuming something must be wrong with those us that have found it's just not our cup of tea.. I should point out that at one point many years ago I talked like you and believed what I was saying.. I often tell my wife the worst thing I ever did was learn to speak Thai... *shrug* live goes on and I'm very excited for the next chapter to start.

Good luck to you.. and I imagine we should get back on Topic...

Sir, I thank you, for one of the most sensible and reasonable posts that I have read on TVF.

One man's meat is another man's poison as they say. I have found for myself, a paradise here. A woman that looks after me, a son that I would do anything for, a spiritualism that I have looked for all my life. To live in Thailand, one needs to look beyond the bars and nightlife scene.

One needs to embrace the culture, the mindset AND (something that I think is very difficult for a large proportion of farangs to envison), the underlying spiritualism of this country. On another thread entitled (I think) Do you believe in ghosts?, I read many a farang laughing at the primitive beliefs of the Thais. I have had first hand experience, knowledge and encounters of this "fourth" dimension. I accept all this, I adjust my preconceptions accordingly and if I am in denial, so be it.

I gather from your post above that you were once like me, blissfully unaware, but have since discovered some insincerity among the people you lived with. I am sorry for you, but I refuse to judge all on the actions of a few. I have travelled the world, sampled the delights from King's Cross Sydney to Pigalle in Paris and if there's a still a Thai girl that can take advantage of my naivete, good for her. I know that I'm set for the rest of my life.

I wish you all the very best in the next stage of your life's journey,

p/s: I do speak Thai :)

begin removed ...

... end removed

I'm really intrigued by the "discussion/criticisms justified or not" followed by "very sad and pathetic". Very independent of who you are, where you've been and what you know, if something is justified it can hardly be pathetic although the truth maybe very sad. Maby you should travel a wee bit more, it broadens the vision :)

Sir, I thank you, for one of the most sensible and reasonable posts that I have read on TVF.

Thanks, I have my moments... yours as well.

Thanks.. enjoy your time in the Kingdom, I look forward to coming back in the future as a tourist and enjoying my time spent here again.

begin removed ...

... end removed

I'm really intrigued by the "discussion/criticisms justified or not" followed by "very sad and pathetic". Very independent of who you are, where you've been and what you know, if something is justified it can hardly be pathetic although the truth maybe very sad. Maby you should travel a wee bit more, it broadens the vision :)

Oh, I'm very sure I've travelled more than you, considering that you have not left the country since April 2002, but that's not the point. I just don't see the reasons for the cheap shots being taken by some of the posters here (present company excluded of course). THEY may think it's funny and humorous but to the rest of us, it just belies their low level of intelligence.

Edited by Gweiloman

Thanks, I have my moments... yours as well.

Thanks.. enjoy your time in the Kingdom, I look forward to coming back in the future as a tourist and enjoying my time spent here again.

I would be honoured if you would allow me to shout you for a beer.

the government's own news agency that wrote this expose' (on itself)

NNT

Official news provided by The Royal Thai Government's News Agency.

The whistler-blowers at NNT have prompted at least one positive step

Indicted Red Shirt Leader Out On Bail and Pheu Thai Party MP Karun has been fired.

Due to criticism, Pheu Thai MP Karun Hosakul had been removed from overseeing the relief supplies.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=509037

Hopefully, the whistle-blowers involved won't meet the same fate as an earlier whistle-blower, Shipping Moo (Kornthep Viriya).

:unsure:

It's seems it's gone all quiet with the whistle-blowers at NNT.

The English-language section of The Royal Thai Government's News Agency typically generates 15 or more articles per day.

They haven't produced any, since the day after of this expose' was published, on October 31.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/shownews.php?tnews_id=a1&dday=2011-11-06

Edited by Buchholz

Hopefully, the whistle-blowers involved won't meet the same fate as an earlier whistle-blower, Shipping Moo (Kornthep Viriya).

It's seems it's gone all quiet with the whistle-blowers at NNT.

The English-language section of The Royal Thai Government's News Agency typically generates 15 or more articles per day.

They haven't produced any, since the day after of this expose' was published, on October 31.

http://thainews.prd....dday=2011-11-06

Well spotted.

Hopefully, it's not another case like the aforementioned Kornthep Viriya.

Background excerpt from Michael Backman's book, The Asian Insider

shippingmoo.png

shippingmoo2.png

http://books.google.com/books?id=vH-TDxqX0lYC&pg=PA53&lpg=PA53&dq=Kornthep+Viriya&source=bl&ots=5-DLwZRRNA&sig=1qvIfR-_beiiZqvydhCiOQ2Hi5g&hl=en&ei=Aki2TrPdPIyHrAekgNHrAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=Kornthep%20Viriya&f=false

Edited by Buchholz

Not a word from NNT since October 31st.

Looks like someone wanted to shut up yet another source of Government Embarrassment.

Guess what fools It's causing MORE, not less.

It's interesting particularly because, in light of the many different aspects to this disaster, the NNT had been understandably ratcheting up their production of articles beyond their normal with 30 plus articles on both Oct. 30 and 31.

and then... nothing since.

Edited by Buchholz

Not a word from NNT since October 31st.

Looks like someone wanted to shut up yet another source of Government Embarrassment.

Guess what fools It's causing MORE, not less.

It's interesting particularly because, in light of the many different aspects to this disaster, the NNT had been understandably ratcheting up their production of articles beyond their normal with 30 plus articles on both Oct. 30 and 31.

and then... nothing since.

Censored and silenced.

What a way to communicate with the populace during an State of Disaster,

which has caused an Emergency for millions of people, some of whom speak English.