New Thai Passport - Airline Check-In Question

Hi,

I am hoping someone has experience of the following or can give some input for my peace of mind......!

My wife will be changing her surname and getting a new Thai passport while we are in Bangkok next month.

The question I have is about checking in for the return flight to the UK. The airline will have her maiden name recorded on the against the flight details for her but her original passport will have been invalidated when she is issued with the new one. I am concerned that the airline staff will not allow her to check in even though we will have both passports.

We have seen on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website that they will stamp her passport to say that the original is still valid in some way for 100 baht, does anyone know the purpose of this stamp and does it apply in this instance for checking in at the airport??

I know that her settlement visa in the original passport is still valid and we can present two passports at immigration at the UK end of the flight.

Thanks

Does the old Thai passport have a current visa affixed? If so you will probably be able to show both passports. What about when you enter the UK? Will they accept both passports? A phone call to the British Embassy might be worth while.

Just for interest Australia has electronic visas which are on the DIAC data base. If a new eg Thai passport is issued the visa must be transfered to the new passport. DIAC will not accept the old passport.

The DIAC form number 929 and instructions 929i are downloadable from the DIAC website.

Does the old Thai passport have a current visa affixed? If so you will probably be able to show both passports. What about when you enter the UK? Will they accept both passports? A phone call to the British Embassy might be worth while.

If a UK visa is valid, then it is still valid even if the passport it is affixed to has expired.

There is no need to pay the UK government's exorbitant fee to transfer the piece of paper, simply show both old and new passports when required.