Visa Run For Usa Citizen

Why do you think it makes a difference if you are American or from another country?

Europeans and Americans same rule.

Other nations different rules.

But Visa runs are the same for everybody

Edited by beano2274

What kind of visa would I need to maximize in between visa run stay? I currently staying in China and probably can get a 3 month tourist visa from Thai embassy.

Mike

:whistling:

All depends on exactly what type of visa you are currently here on.

We really need to know that before we cam give specific advice.

:D

I just returned from one month stay in Thailand. They gave me one month stamp. I noticed that depending on the country the stay period was different. For example Korean passport holders would get 3 month stamp.

Mike

Why do you think it makes a difference if you are American or from another country?

You could do visa exempt, 30 days if entering by air, 15 days if entering by land, Tourist Visa, 60 days and could be extended 30 days for 1900 Baht, or a Non-Immigrant "O" 90 day entry.

The only way you stay longer is to apply for an extension of stay, in addition to having 800K in the bank for retirement, you can show an income 65,000 Baht income per month or a combination of the two.

Edited by beechguy

You could do visa exempt, 30 days if entering by air, 15 days if entering by land, Tourist Visa, 60 days and could be extended 30 days for 1900 Baht, or a Non-Immigrant "O" 90 day entry.

The only way you stay longer is to apply for an extension of stay, in addition to having 800K in the bank for retirement, you can show an income 65,000 Baht income per month or a combination of the two.

I want to stay long term without having 800k sitting in the bank collecting minimum interest. What are the best options?

I want to stay long term without having 800k sitting in the bank collecting minimum interest. What are the best options?

As I said, apply for an exension of stay based on retirement, just show proof of income of 65,000 Baht per month. You can obtain a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa at a consulate outside of Thailand or do a conversion step as part of the extension process.

Also, the 800K only has to be in the bank 2 months for the first application, and 3 months for subsequent extension applications, not like it has to set there all year.

Edited by beechguy

If you qualify you could apply for a Yearly Non Immigrant Visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate from US. That gives you, each entry, 90days.

On the other hand, any additional cost for travelling,etc far outstrip the minimal interest for having to deposit the thb800k in a local bank.

You don't have to have 800k in the bank. You can get an Income Affidavit from the US Embassy showing that your monthly income is at least 65000 baht per month. The embassy doesn't require any proof, it is just a form that you fill out and they notorize. Rumors have it that they are going to change it in the future and require proof. What proof and if and when is still a mystery. My advice is to apply for a Non immigrant "O" visa at the Thai Embassy or consulate in the US. Use the reason for the request "investigate retirement options". That will give you a single entry visa and will give you 90 days when you enter Thailand. After you arrive, either immediately depoisit the 800 k in a Thai bank account, it has to season two months, or use the other option, an affidavit from the US embassy. Toward the end of your 90 days go to the immigration office responsible for the area where you are staying and apply for a 1 year extension of stay for retirement purposes. Unfortunately the actual documentation and number of copies required depends on the office that you have to use and changes frequently so the best thing to do is check once you are here and selltled.

You don't have to have 800k in the bank. You can get an Income Affidavit from the US Embassy showing that your monthly income is at least 65000 baht per month. The embassy doesn't require any proof, it is just a form that you fill out and they notorize. Rumors have it that they are going to change it in the future and require proof. What proof and if and when is still a mystery. My advice is to apply for a Non immigrant "O" visa at the Thai Embassy or consulate in the US. Use the reason for the request "investigate retirement options". That will give you a single entry visa and will give you 90 days when you enter Thailand. After you arrive, either immediately depoisit the 800 k in a Thai bank account, it has to season two months, or use the other option, an affidavit from the US embassy. Toward the end of your 90 days go to the immigration office responsible for the area where you are staying and apply for a 1 year extension of stay for retirement purposes. Unfortunately the actual documentation and number of copies required depends on the office that you have to use and changes frequently so the best thing to do is check once you are here and selltled.

Thanks for the detailed advice. This is great and one I am inclined to try. I am currently in China and will travel to Beijing this month and apply at the Thai embassy.

If you apply for an O-A "retirement" visa at a Thai embassy/consulate that 800,000 baht doesn't have to be in a Thai bank account. It can be in an account anywhere in the world, just so you can show proof of its existence. As mentioned, you can go the income letter route from the American Embassy/consulate without showing them proof of a monthly income of 65,000 baht -- they're just attesting to the validity of your signature, not the veracity of your statement. But, Thai officials are fully aware of this and may ask for additional proof, especially for a first-time application.

If the reason you don't want to have 800,000 in a Thai bank account is because you don't have 800,000 baht in total savings anywhere in the world and you don't have a monthly income of at least 65,000 baht, then you really should re-evaluate the wisdom of retiring here. Yes, you can definitely live a nice lifestyle on much less than 65,000 baht/month, but if what will you do for a medical emergency? You probably won't be buying health insurance if your income is less than 65,000 baht/month and if you don't have 800,000 baht sitting in an account somehwere in the world, you could have a big problem paying medical bills.

I've seen this happen to several people here on retirement visas. They seem to think they're going to die quietly and suddenly in their sleep, never get hit by a tuk-tuk or develop a medical emergency where they can't travel.

Edited by NancyL

If you apply for an O-A "retirement" visa at a Thai embassy/consulate that 800,000 baht doesn't have to be in a Thai bank account. It can be in an account anywhere in the world, just so you can show proof of its existence. As mentioned, you can go the income letter route from the American Embassy/consulate without showing them proof of a monthly income of 65,000 baht -- they're just attesting to the validity of your signature, not the veracity of your statement. But, Thai officials are fully aware of this and may ask for additional proof, especially for a first-time application.

If the reason you don't want to have 800,000 in a Thai bank account is because you don't have 800,000 baht in total savings anywhere in the world and you don't have a monthly income of at least 65,000 baht, then you really should re-evaluate the wisdom of retiring here. Yes, you can definitely live a nice lifestyle on much less than 65,000 baht/month, but if what will you do for a medical emergency? You probably won't be buying health insurance if your income is less than 65,000 baht/month and if you don't have 800,000 baht sitting in an account somehwere in the world, you could have a big problem paying medical bills.

I've seen this happen to several people here on retirement visas. They seem to think they're going to die quietly and suddenly in their sleep, never get hit by a tuk-tuk or develop a medical emergency where they can't travel.

Nancy,

This is great information and kind of info I have been looking for. I didn't realize that having account in other country was also accepted in applying for retirement visa. Transferring large fund between country can be tricky and the reason I was reluctant to do. I have few accounts in China (been here 10 years), Korea and USA. As I have dealt with Thai govt agencies before, any process can be very confusing and time consuming. For proof of fund in another country, what other documents do I need besides bank statement? Since most of my assets are now in China, I am inclined to use China bank account for the application.

Also since you mentioned insurance, are the local medical insurance applicable to foreigners? If so, what are the general rates for catastrophic medical insurance such as terminal disease, accidents, etc?

Thanks

Mike

:whistling:

Okay, I"ll take the bait first then.

Let's start with a single entry tourist visa.

It's good for 60 days...and can be exended in Thailand for 30 days for a small fee for that extension.

Therefore you get 90 days (60 plus 30) on that visa.

After that you travel to another country and return with another single entry visa.

Recently Thai consulates in the neighboring countries have been cracking down on people trying to get repeated back-to-back "tourist" visas. The second tourist visa is usually possible, the third much more difficult, and the fourth almost unavailable.

Some Thai consulates will also refuse you the third tourist visa back to back. They all have the right to refuse any tourist visa...or demand further proof...to anyone they feel is not a valid tourist.

Their is also a double entry tourist visa...which if you use it correctly will get you at least 120 days and if you watch your dates and calculate correctly can be milked for 150 days without any real effort.

The ultimate prize is a multi-entry non O visa which is good for multiple entries and one year. If your careful, you can leave (cross a border exiting Thailand, turn around, and re-enter Thailand) and on re-entry with that multiple entry non O (one year validity) visa get stamped in for another 90 day stay the day before your visa expires. Even though your visa actually expires the next day that 90 day permission to stay stamp is still good...and therefore you effectively make that one year multiple entry visa last 15 months.

But those visas are hard to get, often not available in Asia (not sure if Japan and China...they MAY issue one)...but there will be restrictions and conditions you must meet. Also such visas are much more expensive.

You see, it gets complicated quickly.

The only real way to find out what the country you are in is to call your local Thai consulate and ask them what they will issue...then meet their requiremnts.

They all have websites...so start there to get an idea of what is possible and what questions to ask them.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

She is talking about an O-A visa from home country which may not be an option for you if not living officially as a resident and both medical and police reports would be required for such a visa application and normally proof of funds in that country or Thailand would be the requirement.

As for insurance there is a dedicated forum that may help you answer questions but in general do not believe there is catastrophic medical insurance as all will have limits if you are thinking of no limit type clause.

"If you apply for an O-A "retirement" visa at a Thai embassy/consulate that 800,000 baht doesn't have to be in a Thai bank account."

OP, one sort of important fact nancy... left out is that you can only get an O-A in your home country. Not sure if living in China 10 years would satisfy the Thai consulate and let you apply there.

In addition, they would require a medical exam and a police clearance. Those two things aren't required for an O visa or for an extension in Thailand.

"Okay, I"ll take the bait first then."

I-F, you either need a new macro or should edit it better. Yours was the 17th post, not exactly first.

"Their is also a double entry tourist visa...which if you use it correctly will get you at least 120 days and if you watch your dates and calculate correctly can be milked for 150 days without any real effort."

You can actually get almost 180 days, but will require 2 extensions at 1900 baht each, plus a exit/re-entry in the middle.

OP, once you get here and start doing 'extensions', you shouldn't have to do any visa runs. Just keep extending your 'permission to stay'.

Thailand has a unilateral agreement with Peru, Brazil and Korea. When individuals from these countries enter Thailand, they get a 90 day stamp, not 30.

I just returned from one month stay in Thailand. They gave me one month stamp. I noticed that depending on the country the stay period was different. For example Korean passport holders would get 3 month stamp.

Mike