Lasik Eye Surgery

samran

Guest ka1234
I have read all there is to read on this, and am aware of the pros and cons, but has anyone had any expereince with LASIK?

Not personally, but I had two colleagues who did it.

Both got rid of their glasses but got dry eyes, blurry vision for a while until the brain compensated for it and one had a mishap during surgery (the elderly surgeon managed to cut off the cornea flap entirely and placed it back slightly offset from the original position).

I was planning to do it myself but changed my mind after seeing what happened to these two poor bastards. I only have two eyes that can not be replaced and chose to do like most Lasik surgeons do: wear glasses.

See http://www.lasikdisaster.com/

I had Lasik at Bumrungrad 4 weeks ago. My vision is really very good, however my eyes are extremely dry and I have had daily headaches. I'm pretty concerned that this might be something I will have to deal with long-term.

My experience at Bumrungrad was unpleasant, but I expected it would be. Thai doctors really have little idea of patient-centered care, but I figured that the mechanics of the surgery would be properly performed and I have no reason to doubt that that was not so.

The recovery from the Lasik has been slower than I would like and I often wonder if I made a bad decision. At this point I would not do it again. On the other hand, if the dry eye problem resolves, I will be very happy.

It appears that you understand the risks involved. I agree that a careful read of www.lasikdisaster.com prior to your ultimate decision is a good idea.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I am an expat who had LASIK in Thailand. I went to TRSC International LASIK Center. It is on Rama 4 road across from Lumpini Park. I had pre-operative screenings at Bumrungrad, Laservision, and TRSC because I wanted to know where to go. TRSC is easily the best. The surgeons there are much more experienced (they report over 20,000 LASIK compared to 1,000 at Bumrungrad) and the laser equipment is state-of-the-art (Bumrungrad is using an old 1st generation laser). I did alot of research into this because I wanted the best. I now see better than I did with glasses or contacts and my eyes feel great.

Dan

checkout their website:

www.lasikthai.com

• 2 months later...

LASIK is actually very successful when performed by the right surgeon. Do your research. I know the chief physician at the American Embassy went to TRSC International LASIK Center. He usually recommends his patients to go there. Check out a few centers first and ask alot of questions. See if the doctor feels comfortable with you asking specific questions. Make sure they give good answers. Ask how many surgeries they have done. Don't base your decision on cost alone. If you have any doubts, then go back and have it in your home country. Honestly though, many countries do not have the advanced equipment that Thailand's private centers have.