Ah.. No Yogurt At Rimping?

ARISTIDE

I thought I will be fine and I can survive this country wide panic mode no fish sauce or Mama, etc. This evening, who I was kidding now they are out of Duchy plain yogurt! In fact I didn't see any plain yogurt at all. I suppose I have to learn to make my own yogurt? So where to by a thermometer!

You want plain yoghurt, as in sour unsweetened?

Mass market- Yolida brand (Tops and Rimping in the dairy case). 450 g live culture firm style about 55 THB. In short supply due to floods.

Local stuff- Dacheso (sold at The Hideaway Restaurant, same owners Art Cafe) big 1 lt tub, rather loose and watery 70 THB. In supply always.

I haven't tried Amazing Sandwich yoghurt but I understand they sell something similar to the above listed.

The Greeks call it Greek yoghurt, the Bulgarians Bulgarian yoghurt, yadda yadda yadda. It's simple fermented milk (cows milk here, no sheep or goat).

I know many people who make their own; it's not rocket science.

If Duchy plain yoghurt that you mention has sugar, then we are talking about 2 different things, and my apologies....

you boil the milk and let it cool down to a good body temperature like when you have a fever and touch your forehead-about 40 c.then add a couple spoons of yogurt-stir let it sit warm -i wrap it in towels- for about 3 to 5 hrs or until done-firm.refrigerate or eat.\

save and know your foods.

I had no idea there are many local stuff thanks! Royal project is a good choice too!

Mass market- Yolida brand (Tops and Rimping in the dairy case). 450 g live culture firm style about 55 THB. In short supply due to floods.

Local stuff- Dacheso (sold at The Hideaway Restaurant, same owners Art Cafe) big 1 lt tub, rather loose and watery 70 THB. In supply always.

I haven't tried Amazing Sandwich yoghurt but I understand they sell something similar to the above listed.

The Greeks call it Greek yoghurt, the Bulgarians Bulgarian yoghurt, yadda yadda yadda. It's simple fermented milk (cows milk here, no sheep or goat).

If Duchy plain yoghurt that you mention has sugar, then we are talking about 2 different things, and my apologies....

you boil the milk and let it cool down to a good body temperature like when you have a fever and touch your forehead-about 40 c.then add a couple spoons of yogurt-stir let it sit warm -i wrap it in towels- for about 3 to 5 hrs or until done-firm.refrigerate or eat.\

save and know your foods.

It's quite easy to make just like the above post says. But when the g/f makes it she lets is sit more than 3-5 hours upstairs in the hottest room for about 12 hours.

Was at Rimping Meechoke yesterday at 11 am for the usual stock up before heading back to Pai and it was more crowded than ever but seemed to have been fairly well stocked.

That could be on account of people wanting to shop early as Mondays/Tuesdays are market days with little parking for supermarket shoppers. If you go in Rimping while the market's at full tilt later on, it's really quiet (when any other day it'd be busy).

Op, I picked up a tub the other day... which branch are you talking about?

That could be on account of people wanting to shop early as Mondays/Tuesdays are market days with little parking for supermarket shoppers. If you go in Rimping while the market's at full tilt later on, it's really quiet (when any other day it'd be busy).

Ah that explains it. Good info thanks...

Actually Dacheeso has 2 varieties of whole milk yogurt. One is more like kefir in consistency. That is the "loose and watery yogurt" yogurt referred to above. The other is a thick variety. I think both are first-rate. Dacheeso starts out with excellent milk, after all. They don't use the modified food starch and/or gelatin that many large commercial enterprises do to give their yogurt a pudding-like texture and to stop the whey from bleeding out. Dacheeso also offers skim milk yogurt.

Has anyone used any of the dairy or bread products Dacheeso makes?

We want primarily the non-sweet plain yogurt but since we live near the CM train station and only travel by bicycle, we may want to put together an order of yogurt, cheese and bread to get their free delivery.

I found a map on the web for the hideaway restaurant but the street off of 108 leading to the Hideaway does not have a name on the map. Does anyone know if the hideaway has a sign on 108 that will tell me when to turn to the right. Is the right turn before/after Lotus/Tesco?

Thanks.

Decheeso's white (soft) cheeses are acceptable, but their hard cheeses are not aged and rather bland and rubbery in my opinion. Their bakery products are mediocre, but at least they are available regularly. If one purchases over 300 baht worth of their products, Decheeso offers free home delivery in the Muang area of Chiang Mai. Pick up a catalogue next time you are there--they have many, many products that one doesn't realize.

I think their cheddar is perfect for pizza as it so rubbery and mild it's like having a mixture between mozzarella and cheap cheddar!

Decheeso's white (soft) cheeses are acceptable, but their hard cheeses are not aged and rather bland and rubbery in my opinion. Their bakery products are mediocre, but at least they are available regularly. If one purchases over 300 baht worth of their products, Decheeso offers free home delivery in the Muang area of Chiang Mai. Pick up a catalogue next time you are there--they have many, many products that one doesn't realize.