mrclough

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think canned beer is most times better than

bottles.

I think the opposite.

I think that he's right, provided that you pour the beer into a glass rather than drinking it straight from the can. There's more of a difference between cans & bottles with some brands and styles of beer than with others though.

Edited by OriginalPoster

The OP celebrates the fact that it is made with malt.

Malted what? Rice is malted to make beer in Thailand. Other countries malt barley, wheat, rye etc. Malting is a process and malt the product.

The "malt" is an advertising gimmick. I tried my first glass last night and found it well carbonated tasteless American style mass produced beer, more like a lo-cal beer taste. If you put this in a glass among 5 glasses of the standard BIG US brands and asked me to tell by taste which one of the 6 was foreign, I would not be able to do it.

Now I will admit I prefer IPAs and other highly hopped beers and heavier, more robust flavor. That, obviously, skews my review.

me being a cider drinker at 2000bht a case,i have been looking for an alternative now and then,tried 6bottles last night whent down well so mrs.meat has gone to mackro to stock up,i was wondering why she had a smile on her face i dont remember any activity last night,just hit me she's saving about 1,300bht on a case,who says money doesnt come into it.:rolleyes:

Have to agree with Keo - they are all much of a muchness. Overheard one American guy saying the Chang Export tasted like Budweiser - need we say more! Given up on Leo as had monster hangover on just five bottles last week. Would obviously prefer to go down the Erdinger or Leffe route but makes a night out very expensive. Then again probably worth it to feel human in the morning. Beer Lao is reasonably priced and at least has some taste but not a lot of bars stock it.

If you put this in a glass among 5 glasses of the standard BIG US brands and asked me to tell by taste which one of the 6 was foreign, I would not be able to do it.

You could say the same thing about Heineken, Beer Lao and Tiger, but a lot of people enjoy them and especially in this climate.

The way i see it, if your going to spend 1000 baht to get drunk, might as well spend 1200 baht not to be hungover the next morning.

Chang from 7-11 doesn't make me hungover, but Chang in the small bottles from bars do, especially around the Ratchwiti area.:blink:

Would obviously prefer to go down the Erdinger or Leffe route but makes a night out very expensive.

I don't go out much, just usually drink a few beers at home. The cheapest I've found Erdinger at is 125B a bottle from the booze shop on the corner of Huay Gaew and canal road. It's not cheap, but like you say, worth alone just to escape the horrid Thai beer hangovers. Mad Dog used to sell Erdinger Weissen for 150B, don't know about now though.

When you consider that a large beer in somewhere like Warm Up is about 120B, it makes me feel slightly less guilty about spending the same for a nice Dunkel to enjoy at home. I think the guy at the German Microbrewery does small 10L kegs, which I've thought about trying, but I'd probably need a small ice box to store it in.

Is it only Makro that currently has C Export? Checked old Carrefour/Rimping, but nowt. Tesco?

I think I'm now allergic to Tiger after years of abuse and the Thai beers do my head in. Could easily do Leffe on a regular basis but at 150 baht a small bottle! While I await the return of Carlsberg, does anyone know where they do Leffe in slab form at a realistic price?

The way i see it, if your going to spend 1000 baht to get drunk, might as well spend 1200 baht not to be hungover the next morning.

Chang from 7-11 doesn't make me hungover, but Chang in the small bottles from bars do, especially around the Ratchwiti area.:blink:

Funny that i would be paralytic spending 1000 baht biggrin.gif 5 bottles of anything(large)and i am well on my way even in a bar i wouldn't spend more than 400 baht wink.gif the shop 200! unless of course you start talking scotch.

We have the large bottled "Chang Export" at Rider's Corner Bar & Restaurant in Chiang Mai . I think it's the best tasting Thai beer by far NOTHING like regular Chang beer which tastes like chemicals and gives you a stinking hangover, i'm very impressed with this beer, very clean taste, come try it.

6315055919_fc8cbfa9c1_b.jpg

6315572648_7496f42ed7_b.jpg

Edited by RidersCorner

Funny that i would be paralytic spending 1000 baht biggrin.gif 5 bottles of anything(large)and i am well on my way even in a bar i wouldn't spend more than 400 baht wink.gif the shop 200! unless of course you start talking scotch.

Three large Chang Classic @ 50bht a bottle and 10bht for a bucket of ice is all I can manage in an evening.

160bht for a good night out with serving girls and a live band, why spend more?

Noticed that the Tiger Kingdom In Town Bar/ Restaurant thingie on Moon Maung Rd had banner signs out front advertising Chang Export. Looking forward to dropping in there soon and trying it. As a non-beer snob, I've got a sneaking suspicion that its actually going to taste quite wonderful!

-Mestizo

We have the large bottled "Chang Export" at Rider's Corner Bar & Restaurant in Chiang Mai . I think it's the best tasting Thai beer by far NOTHING like regular Chang beer which tastes like chemicals and gives you a stinking hangover, i'm very impressed with this beer, very clean taste, come try it.

6315055919_fc8cbfa9c1_b.jpg

6315572648_7496f42ed7_b.jpg

:)

I'll give Rider's Corner another thumbs up ... not because I liked Chang Export, but because I was sitting there having a Leo when he came in with the new beer. I tried it (complimentary) and have to say it tastes WAY better than Chang, but to be honest I ordered another Leo :) Everyone has different tastes (or lack thereof!) and Leo or Heineken are my "sit around and have a beer" beers....

So this is only served in large bottles, so if you want a small one you've got to buy a can? I think I'll like this beer as I like hoppy beers, but what's with the large bottles only?

mrs.meat got me 2x24cans at 23.75bht per can thats less than £1 a pint.big bottles are a pain goes warm to quick unless you drink them thai style[added water] ice :bah:

So this is only served in large bottles, so if you want a small one you've got to buy a can? I think I'll like this beer as I like hoppy beers, but what's with the large bottles only?

mrs.meat got me 2x24cans at 23.75bht per can thats less than £1 a pint.big bottles are a pain goes warm to quick unless you drink them thai style[added water] ice :bah:

Another option is to drink them faster.

:P

Another option is to drink them faster.

i cant go [hic] any [hic] faster hic :P :P :P

Here goes... hmm, not much head on her, nothing like Chang tamada, Sing, Leo... wait, bit of a Sing aftertaste... ooh <deleted>, that's nasty! :bah:

Actually, not too bad, probably better as a lager-top at near freezing temps, but don't think I'd be doing more than a bottle or three.

I tried a couple last night down at Rider's Corner. At first taste a little bit bland, but actually quite nice a bottle or two down the road. A slightly malty but very clean and crisp taste, and I woke up this morning feeling "crisp" too - no Changover at all!

It may not be the answer to the prayers of beer lovers everywhere but I will certainly be drinking more - if only for a change from the regular beers available that I am bored to death with.

I tried a couple last night down at Rider's Corner. At first taste a little bit bland, but actually quite nice a bottle or two down the road. A slightly malty but very clean and crisp taste, and I woke up this morning feeling "crisp" too - no Changover at all!

It may not be the answer to the prayers of beer lovers everywhere but I will certainly be drinking more - if only for a change from the regular beers available that I am bored to death with.

..." I will certainly be drinking more"...that can't be good...:lol::lol:....but with the lack of availability of anything else at this price...why not ??;)

Tried Chang Export last night for the first time. They were selling them right in the alcohol restricted area of Sapan Narawat. ;) Tasted like water to me. Had no body or taste. It reminded me of Coors beer that is sold in the USA. Haven't had one of those in like 20 years. Doubt if I'll ever have another Chang Export.

Tried Chang Export last night for the first time. They were selling them right in the alcohol restricted area of Sapan Narawat. ;) Tasted like water to me. Had no body or taste. It reminded me of Coors beer that is sold in the USA. Haven't had one of those in like 20 years. Doubt if I'll ever have another Chang Export.

I agree 100% can't think of a UK equivalent .sad.gif