Chang Export

mrclough

I recently was advised to try Chang Export. I was a little unsure at first as I don't really like any of the Chang beers at all. That was until I tried this one. It's made with Malt and as suggested in the name is designed for the export market so it's at a constant 5% per bottle.

I really like the stuff and was wondering how many others have tried it yet and their thoughts.

I've no idea if any of the bars in town are stocking it yet or what the prices are etc as I bought a box from Makro to drink at home due to the fact there was no Singha in stock.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean the Chang Draught in a bottle? I think this is the same stuff they send abroad, much better than the Classic.

Has a good taste to it, 5% alcohol and not so bad a hangover. Much more flavour than Leo.

I buy it here in Maryland when I can find it. However, it is always close to the sale by date on the bottle and sometimes beyond that date, even though it is still a good beer. Guess I better let them know about this problem.

Chang,and for that matter most Thai beers,reach their sell by date at the time they are bottled.

I buy it here in Maryland when I can find it. However, it is always close to the sale by date on the bottle and sometimes beyond that date, even though it is still a good beer. Guess I better let them know about this problem.

Drink it faster!:rolleyes:

Do you mean the Chang Draught in a bottle? I think this is the same stuff they send abroad, much better than the Classic.

Has a good taste to it, 5% alcohol and not so bad a hangover. Much more flavour than Leo.

No, this is a specific new brew, Chang Export, which, as noted by the OP, is now on sale in Makro.

Give it a try. I think you'll find it has merit!

• Like 1

Also had that "Makro moment" today when I went to the Hang Dong store. Only beers of interest were the Beer Lao (sadly still the 27 July batch) and Chang Export. Having never seen the latter, thought I had to give it a try.... So, just finishing up a head to head taste test....

Amazingly I am drinking a Chang that does not not taste like a science experiment gone wrong. Really not a bad drink at all, but still lacks the hoppiness of a Beer Lao (even a 3 month old version). Overall Beer Lao still wins by a length and a half, but Chang Export is quite a canny brew and is probably the best Thai beer on the market today. Or is this just a fluke of the floods and this Chang Export is supposed to be heading off to quench the thirst of sad Evertonians instead?

Edited by folium
  • Like 1

Tastes like "Non Alcohol" beer a really watery ,gassy beer with an awful after taste.<div>A good headache in the morning (5%) without the enjoyment the previous evening !!!!!</div><div>I got this beer in a 24 tin case for ฿570,very much prefer Archa tinny at ฿590 (in Cha Am wholesale suppliers)</div><div>Have asked two other people one thinks its OK the other will never buy it again(like me) must be what you are used to.</div>

Tastes like "Non Alcohol" beer a really watery ,gassy beer with an awful after taste.<div>A good headache in the morning (5%) without the enjoyment the previous evening !!!!!</div><div>I got this beer in a 24 tin case for ฿570,very much prefer Archa tinny at ฿590 (in Cha Am wholesale suppliers)</div><div>Have asked two other people one thinks its OK the other will never buy it again(like me) must be what you are used to.</div>

But must admit i do like Chang Draft in the bottle perhaps its the malt v hops brewing ingredients

Took a trip to Makro looking for this, found it. 3rd bottle......

In my humble opinion, it has the nasty taste of Chang Classic, and is feeling like it will have the nasty hangover of Chang Classic. Will switch back to Chang Draught or Leo. Only trouble is I have two cases of this stuff to get through! Trip to the g/f's parents will have to sort that out.

Last Friday, had my first bottle of Chang Export, followed by Chang Classic.

Couldn't tell the difference between them (nor could my pal) except the Export was 75bht and 5%, Classic was 55bht and 6.4%

I sticking to Classic!

Blimey, you was robbed. Guv.! Either that, or you must have been in some classy bar.

Chang Export is deliberately priced to match Leo - we sell for 46 baht (wholesale price 495 baht a case) and uses only imported grains, so I would imagine it doesn't have any rice.

To me it tastes a bit like Carlsberg Export used to, even the label has that same look. Anybody knowing the history of Chang might think that they've found the old recipe in the archives, dusted it down and given it a try!

I downed a few cans of Chang Export at a bike party recently. The PG servers were cute and that may have distracted me more than a little. Still, I found the Export to be somewhat tasteless. Maybe the blood flowing in the other direction caused my taste buds to go on strike.

I'm surprised at some of the reactions to this in one way but not at all surprised in another.

Initially shocked at the responses of people who found it tasteless but then I guess it depends on your individual taste buds.

Very shocked at the comment that says it's like water then tries to compare it to Archa, the most piss poor excuse for beer in the whole country. (just my opinion of course)

Then I consider that we are all from different countries and different parts of those countries. Anyone from say Belgium or Germany would just laugh at most of the beers over here as they cannot even come close to beers they are used to.

Same goes for people from the UK, lots of different beers brewed there with many different styles.

I've tasted a few good beers from Australia too but I'm not too sure about other parts of the world so cannot really comment any further.

I for one will continue with this beer for a while until I get bored with it and start on something else, usually around a 2-3 month cycle.

No offence, but shan't be taking the opinion of the dude that lauds Archa too seriously. That tat's a big one down from Heineken even. :bah:

Anyone know if this Chang Export's available by the bottle as don't want to blow a whole box if it's anything remotely like its dad?

Edited by jackr

The OP celebrates the fact that it is made with malt.

Malted what? Rice is malted to make beer in Thailand. Other countries malt barley, wheat, rye etc. Malting is a process and malt the product.

Sorry for the clever-dick comment :rolleyes:, I'm sure if they are advertising that it's made from foreign malt it will be malted barley and therefore (IMO) likely to produce a much better beer. The original Carling would undoubtedly have been made from that. Beer Lao is however an excellent lager for a malted rice product.

[TVF Campaign For Real Ale Member - beard, beer belly and woolly jumper not essential]

The OP celebrates the fact that it is made with malt.

Malted what? Rice is malted to make beer in Thailand. Other countries malt barley, wheat, rye etc. Malting is a process and malt the product.

Sorry for the clever-dick comment :rolleyes:, I'm sure if they are advertising that it's made from foreign malt it will be malted barley and therefore (IMO) likely to produce a much better beer. The original Carling would undoubtedly have been made from that. Beer Lao is however an excellent lager for a malted rice product.

[TVF Campaign For Real Ale Member - beard, beer belly and woolly jumper not essential]

The bottles & box they came in only state 100% imported malts. TIT lol.

It claims to be made as a European style beer so who knows lol

Chang export,it reminded me of colt 45 any one remember that one?

Colt 45, now that's a blast from the past lol.

Bit of a harsh comparison though

Yes - think I was about 18 when it came out and it was the first non-bitter beer I had tasted. Seemed very exotic at a time when American restaurants, serving decent non-Wimpy hamburgers and Italian pizzerias serving non-pappy pizzas were starting to emerge on UK provincial high streets and Colt 45 was very trendy to order with your meal. We're talking the late 60s I think.

Edit: amazing to reflect that the dining out culture as applied to normal people is less than half a generation old.

Edited by SantiSuk

I actually like the taste of Chang but it doesn't go well with my body chemistry. When I drink more than 5 large bottles in one go I get stomach pain the next day but not with other brands like Heineken or Singha.

Will try this Chang Export and go 2, 3 bottles a time to see how it goes the next day. Oh, also, why do many people like drinking the small bottle. Is it because of habit developed from visiting bars with bar girls?:unsure::unsure: