Chang Export

mrclough

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried it at a booth on the river during Loy Kratong. Didn't care for it. The only beer I like from this region is Beer Lao Dark.

As much as I seem to be the only one who likes the Chang Export I have to agree, it's not even in the same league as Beer Lao Dark.

That stuff is probably as good of a beer as you will find from this part of the world.

I tried it at a booth on the river during Loy Kratong. Didn't care for it. The only beer I like from this region is Beer Lao Dark.

As much as I seem to be the only one who likes the Chang Export I have to agree, it's not even in the same league as Beer Lao Dark.

That stuff is probably as good of a beer as you will find from this part of the world.

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison though, entirely different styles of beer.

Well, I got around to trying it. I optimistically bought 4 cans (I don't drink as much as a large bottle these days). I found the taste close to mass market American beers rather than mass market Thai beers. In other words, poor in a somewhat different way. I won't throw out the cans, but won't ever purchase this flavor again. Has anyone tasted both the cans and the bottles and noticed a difference?

I am sure there are lots of people who actually like mass market American beers and to them I would suggest trying Chang Export because they may really like it.

Edited by Jingthing

Found it at my 7-11 in Bang Kapi, guess its the only thing they could get at the moment with all the flood. Like that it only has 5%, normal Chang is too strong for a pilsner. But where is the head??? It disappeared faster then it does on Champagne!!! The taste is so so in my opinion, it could use some hops and bitterness (but that goes for all beers made in Thailand).

All in all, one of the better domestic beers, but still not very good! I'll stick to imports for now :)

Well, I got around to trying it. I optimistically bought 4 cans (I don't drink as much as a large bottle these days). I found the taste close to mass market American beers rather than mass market Thai beers. In other words, poor in a somewhat different way. I won't throw out the cans, but won't ever purchase this flavor again. Has anyone tasted both the cans and the bottles and noticed a difference?

I am sure there are lots of people who actually like mass market American beers and to them I would suggest trying Chang Export because they may really like it.

Jingthing,

your right on the mark, I like lighter tasting american beer. Never have been a fan of regular chang. But, this new export chiang reminds me of american beer. I'm starting to ask for it now.

But how drunk do you get?...Nowadays drinking budweiser like beers is an uphill battle and a feable attempt at catching a buzz.

Bud might be weak tasting but it's not usually weak in teams of alchohol content. It has 5% ABV as do many other mass market pale lagers, including Heineken, Wife Beater, Singha, Leo, and Beer Lao, Chang Draught, and apparently Chang Export.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Had bottle given to me yesterday afternoon by the OP, I tried it last night, I though it was ok but nothing special. Will certainly have it again but don't think I'll be running to the shops to buy it in the case load. The beer Lao in the fridge certainly went down better.

Edited by thaimiller

But how drunk do you get?...Nowadays drinking budweiser like beers is an uphill battle and a feable attempt at catching a buzz.

Bud might be weak tasting but it's not usually weak in teams of alchohol content. It has 5% ABV as do many other mass market pale lagers, including Heineken, Wife Beater, Singha, Leo, and Beer Lao, Chang Draught, and apparently Chang Export.

Not sure about that, went back to the US last year and i was drinking my childhoood friends under the table...they didnt stand a chance...:D

As I worked my way through the four cans I bought, I am finding I like it a bit more. Like others have said, a little too sweet. I would buy some in future sometimes for variety, not as a regular brand. Sadly, no Beer Lao at 7-11 where I live.

One possible line of thinking behind why Chang have brought out Chang Export is as a category killer, to try and stifle the growing presence of Beer Lao in LOS. hence all the "imported malt" in English labelling.

The other alternative (which is also supported by the all-English labelling) is that it really was intended primarily for export to the overseas markets (hence the US style/taste) as a "premium" Thai beer. Singha is labelled "Export" outside Thailand so perhaps Chang is just following suit.

I think, that when Chang gets it's supply chain back on track again, this beer will go as quickly as it came

Interesting. I don't think they should drop it as it is something different.

Have you ever seen this beer in your local 7/11 before the Floods disrupted the supply chains ? I haven't..

But indeed, I wouldn't mind if they keep it on, but I like the Chang Classic better. :burp:

Bud might be weak tasting but it's not usually weak in teams of alcohol content. It has 5% ABV as do many other mass market pale lagers, including Heineken, Wife Beater, Singha, Leo, and Beer Lao, Chang Draught, and apparently Chang Export.

Not sure about that, went back to the US last year and i was drinking my childhoood friends under the table...they didnt stand a chance...:D

You might be able to drink your American friends under the table, but the ABV values that I quoted are factual. Some others that you might surprise you are that Fullers London Pride is only 4.7%, Spitfire is 4.5%, and Guinness Draught is only 4.2%. You can find that info and other info compiled about a wide variety of beers at beeradvocate.com

Edited by OriginalPoster

Some others that you might surprise you are that Fullers London Pride is only 4.7%, Spitfire is 4.5%, and Guinness Draught is only 4.2%.

That's not surprising as beers in the UK are brewed for high consumption; ie, when you go out on the lash, dudes are doing 10, 12, 15 pints a time in a short period - 8pm-11pm ish. High alcohol content at those volumes kills.

if you want to get drunk quick just drink Mae ping or what ever.

Think I'd rather stick with 'Mekong', thanks, since Mae Ping water would likely lead to leptospirosis. :P

Some others that you might surprise you are that Fullers London Pride is only 4.7%, Spitfire is 4.5%, and Guinness Draught is only 4.2%.

That's not surprising as beers in the UK are brewed for high consumption; ie, when you go out on the lash, dudes are doing 10, 12, 15 pints a time in a short period - 8pm-11pm ish. High alcohol content at those volumes kills.

if you want to get drunk quick just drink Mae ping or what ever.

Think I'd rather stick with 'Mekong', thanks, since Mae Ping water would likely lead to leptospirosis. :P

Not all beer is brewed for high consumptionl. In the UK there are many different beers with different strengths and tastes. The beers you speak of for high consumption are called session beers and are usually between 3.4 to 4 %. There are exceptions to this but that is usually the case.

Not all beer is brewed for high consumptionl. In the UK there are many different beers with different strengths and tastes. The beers you speak of for high consumption are called session beers and are usually between 3.4 to 4 %. There are exceptions to this but that is usually the case.

Of course, though the point was for the previous poster on certain UK beers being lighter. Tax and real ales aside, a major reason for the lower alcohol content is because of the binge culture in the UK. Folk wouldn't necessarily go for this or that beer because it were considered a 'session beer', they drink heavily regardless. If it were all 6.4% Chang strength, the NHS would be inundated.

Of course, though the point was for the previous poster on certain UK beers being lighter. Tax and real ales aside, a major reason for the lower alcohol content is because of the binge culture in the UK. Folk wouldn't necessarily go for this or that beer because it were considered a 'session beer', they drink heavily regardless. If it were all 6.4% Chang strength, the NHS would be inundated.

Sorry but far too much of a generalisation

It is a bit, though that's the point. Beer is, 'generally', weaker than, say, on the continent, where they're all a bunch of poofs and sip it like gin. :rolleyes: One is well aware of the scope of UK beers, hailing from the place that puts on the Barrels Beer Festival. Some weird & wonderful tipples there, though thankfully 99% of them aren't behind an average bar... but 99% of them being vastly superior to Chang Export.lol

That's a little bit contra-intuitive though. Usually alcoholics are not seeking out weak drinks, more commonly they progress to harder drinks over time. And I would think that even in the context of British culture, most people who routinely drink 10 to 15 pints in a night are certifiable alcoholics.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Chang export,it reminded me of colt 45 any one remember that one?

Bloody hellt hat brings back some memories. Probably the worst beer ever and that's how I would rate any Thai beer too so a good comparison.

You would have to be under 18 to like that!

Bud might be weak tasting but it's not usually weak in teams of alcohol content. It has 5% ABV as do many other mass market pale lagers, including Heineken, Wife Beater, Singha, Leo, and Beer Lao, Chang Draught, and apparently Chang Export.

You might be able to drink your American friends under the table, but the ABV values that I quoted are factual. Some others that you might surprise you are that Fullers London Pride is only 4.7%, Spitfire is 4.5%, and Guinness Draught is only 4.2%. You can find that info and other info compiled about a wide variety of beers at beeradvocate.com

Yeah, yeah facts are facts with your alcohol content specs, but the way it's broken down, digested and alcohol dispersed once it gets into your body is another story.