Chang Export

mrclough

Just tried a bottle of Chang Export last night and don't see where all the bickering is coming from, it is probably one of the top beers i've had here in Thailand, good stuff!

Given a choice between Leo, Singha, Archa, San Miguel, Chang Draught and even Heineken...I would choose this beer over the others, even over Beer Lao and possibly my beloved Guiness. I'd say its almost in the same league as Hoegarden, Stella and Leffee. Just a little bit lighter - which means you can drink it faster, and didn't feel bloated at all.

Some of you with bulging beer guts may want to consider it.

I think I'll have one for breakfast.:D

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tried a bottle of Chang Export last night and don't see where all the bickering is coming from, it is probably one of the top beers i've had here in Thailand, good stuff!

Given a choice between Leo, Singha, Archa, San Miguel, Chang Draught and even Heineken...I would choose this beer over the others, even over Beer Lao and possibly my beloved Guiness. I'd say its almost in the same league as Hoegarden, Stella and Leffee. Just a little bit lighter - which means you can drink it faster, and didn't feel bloated at all.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: you obviously had way too much if you think that.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: you obviously had way too much if you think that.

Agree with the first part, Chang Export is better than the run of the mill Thai brews (including Heineken, San Mig, Chang, Singha etc), simply because the Export actually has some taste rather than just being cold, gassy water.

Secondly lumping Stella with Leffe and Hoegaarden is truly laughable. Stella is a mass market brew designed to compete with Euro dishwater products like Carling, Carlsberg and Heineken.

The fatal mistake was comparing Chang Export to a proper beer. The beer in Thailand basically sucks if you want more than something cold and wet with a dollop of alcohol to numb the senses. I'm yet to come across a tropical country with decent beer that tastes of something. Perhaps I've been conditioned by drinking hoppy, dark beers or Czech/German/Belgian lagers & pilsners.

Chang Export in the same league as Hoegaarden? As likely as Chiangmai FC in the same league as Barcelona.

Agree with the first part, Chang Export is better than the run of the mill Thai brews (including Heineken, San Mig, Chang, Singha etc), simply because the Export actually has some taste rather than just being cold, gassy water.

Secondly lumping Stella with Leffe and Hoegaarden is truly laughable. Stella is a mass market brew designed to compete with Euro dishwater products like Carling, Carlsberg and Heineken.

The fatal mistake was comparing Chang Export to a proper beer. The beer in Thailand basically sucks if you want more than something cold and wet with a dollop of alcohol to numb the senses. I'm yet to come across a tropical country with decent beer that tastes of something. Perhaps I've been conditioned by drinking hoppy, dark beers or Czech/German/Belgian lagers & pilsners.

Chang Export in the same league as Hoegaarden? As likely as Chiangmai FC in the same league as Barcelona.

Well said mate, its nowhere in the same street as Stella, but as a palatable drink here in Thailand its top. Having sold loads of beer here to expats in my bars usually Leo, I can honestly say that since the arrival of Chang Export its now nearly taken over with the regulars as the beer of choice.

Well said mate, its nowhere in the same street as Stella, but as a palatable drink here in Thailand its top. Having sold loads of beer here to expats in my bars usually Leo, I can honestly say that since the arrival of Chang Export its now nearly taken over with the regulars as the beer of choice.

As a follow up question do you know if Chang Export's arrival at the same time as the floods and the short-term dislocation of beer supplies was just a coincidence, or is Export actually designed for export?

I think there is definitely a connection, perhaps there was a vast amount stored in some large bonded warehouse ready to be shipped and Chang just said lets make hay while the other Thai Brewers struggle to meet demand. It may disapear has supplies get back to normal as mentioned in a previous post.Anyone know if its available around other Provinces ?

Bud might be weak tasting but it's not usually weak in teams of alcohol content. It has 5% ABV as do many other mass market pale lagers, including Heineken, Wife Beater, Singha, Leo, and Beer Lao, Chang Draught, and apparently Chang Export.

Not sure about that, went back to the US last year and i was drinking my childhoood friends under the table...they didnt stand a chance...:D

You might be able to drink your American friends under the table, but the ABV values that I quoted are factual. Some others that you might surprise you are that Fullers London Pride is only 4.7%, Spitfire is 4.5%, and Guinness Draught is only 4.2%. You can find that info and other info compiled about a wide variety of beers at beeradvocate.com

Yeah, yeah facts are facts with your alcohol content specs, but the way it's broken down, digested and alcohol dispersed once it gets into your body is another story.

In other words "don't bother me with facts". You rationalizations are pretty weak, the reason that you can out-drink your friends back in the States is most likely because you drink a helluva lot of beer here in Chiang Mai.

• 2 weeks later...

I think, that when Chang gets it's supply chain back on track again, this beer will go as quickly as it came

Interesting. I don't think they should drop it as it is something different.

Have you ever seen this beer in your local 7/11 before the Floods disrupted the supply chains ? I haven't..

But indeed, I wouldn't mind if they keep it on, but I like the Chang Classic better. :burp:

Totally agree.

And I do prefer the Classic as well....to me, the Export is as tasteless as a French Kronenbourg 1664.

In the meantime, at my local 7-11, I could buy the Classic for 42 THB and they now sell the Classic at 48 THB.... No choice as Classic is not on the shelves...a nice 15% increase.

• 1 month later...

Tastes like "Non Alcohol" beer a really watery ,gassy beer with an awful after taste.<div>A good headache in the morning (5%) without the enjoyment the previous evening !!!!!</div><div>I got this beer in a 24 tin case for ฿570,very much prefer Archa tinny at ฿590 (in Cha Am wholesale suppliers)</div><div>Have asked two other people one thinks its OK the other will never buy it again(like me) must be what you are used to.</div>

Can't speak for the cans as I've moved on to bottles. Still an Archa fan but Chang Export bottles shades them (as they shoul, thet're more expensive)

Well I've been to a few places around Thailand over Christmas & New Year and the Export isn't as common in other areas as here in Chiang Mai but it is available. Must say, in the places it wasn't available it has rediscovered my old liking for San Miguel Light. Still reckon Export is probably the best of a bad bunch. Decent price as well in my opinion.

(skipped to end of thread... ) but...

Some 'Seven's' seem to only stock Chang Export and Heineken cans now ... like all their can shelves are full with these two only. Annoying when you've been drinking something else and you intend to pick up a few take-aways for Ron.

(skipped to end of thread... ) but...

Some 'Seven's' seem to only stock Chang Export and Heineken cans now ... like all their can shelves are full with these two only. Annoying when you've been drinking something else and you intend to pick up a few take-aways for Ron.

Can't you drink from a bottle or glass?

Did a visa run to Mae Sai a couple of days ago. The duty free shop is selling "boliarka dark" @ 60 baht for a 500ml can. Never heard of it before so only bought 6 cans, along with some Hoegaarden bottles. The boliarka dark reminds me of Murphy's Stout. Delicious. Probably sold out in 3 months when my next trip is scheduled, but just want to let real beer lovers know what's available :)

Did a visa run to Mae Sai a couple of days ago. The duty free shop is selling "boliarka dark" @ 60 baht for a 500ml can. Never heard of it before so only bought 6 cans, along with some Hoegaarden bottles. The boliarka dark reminds me of Murphy's Stout. Delicious. Probably sold out in 3 months when my next trip is scheduled, but just want to let real beer lovers know what's available smile.png

Boliarka.

Strewth it's like being reminded of your first "girlfriend", something you would rather forget but just can't.

Have a nasty feeling it's made by a Bulgarian oil company as a sideline. caveat emptor

• 3 months later...

I have been living here for more than eight years now, I am Belgian. Those beers here are simply hawful. The mentioned Export is an attempt to improve things, but a Thai "beer" remains a Thai "beer". I am drinking one right now it has the little sour taste of a failed brew (bad fermentation).

Chang started together with Carlsberg, but the owner believed he would not need the knowledge of Carlsberg anymore and cancelled the agreement: result = a poison: Chang Classic. Before settling here I used to have every now and then a Singha, more in a mood of nostalgy than for the taste. Now I can tell you, I regret Belgian and German beers and the famous German Reinheits Gebot. To avoid any trouble with our acccross the Channel friends, I must add that I also like a good Martin's Pale Ale...

I bought from Tesco Lotus a few bottles of Paulaner hell Bier (Munich Beer) it costs THB 93 a bottlle (33cc). I do not regret my 93 THB (times x - secret défense). Just try it and then you will notice how a beer should taste...

• 4 weeks later...

Tastes like "Non Alcohol" beer a really watery ,gassy beer with an awful after taste.<div>A good headache in the morning (5%) without the enjoyment the previous evening !!!!!</div><div>I got this beer in a 24 tin case for ฿570,very much prefer Archa tinny at ฿590 (in Cha Am wholesale suppliers)</div><div>Have asked two other people one thinks its OK the other will never buy it again(like me) must be what you are used to.</div>

I'll have to agree. I like verycold beer so I put it in the compartment just below my freezer. 1 bottle froze. Not solid but it did have ice in it. This means uneven alcohol content between bottles. Oh Yeah, don't like the taste either.