Ikea Thailand To Open On Time

webfact

Of course they want to open on time. There is going to be a lot of people looking to buy new furniture in a couple of weeks.

Then, Ikea is not the place to shop. Ikea furniture is predominately wood chip and veneer type. This type of wood furniture does not respond well to high humidity environments.As well, when it comes in contact with moisture it tends to breakdown. Ikea is the destination of choice for cost conscious younger demographics who aren't buying forthe long term. Perfect for the Bangkok urbanites in their highrise condos, high above the flood zones. Searching for the missing screw or trying to figure out the convoluted instructions will give these people hours of fun that will distract from the flood worries.

On a completely different aspect, Ikea has set a good example with its treatment of its employees if what is reported is true. Perhaps, it will inspire some local retailers, both Thai and foreign owned to treat their workers with more compassion and respect. BTW, Ikea food isn't that good except when they import the specialty grav lax or pickled haring. It's so difficult to find the right haring here. I anticipate that the gingerbread houses will arrive in time for Christmas. ikea, makes a product that is practically indestructible.

It might be a good idea to check your facts before you post. When I moved to Thailand five years ago, I brought a lot of IKEA furniture such as bookcases, cupboards, a sofa, a dining table and chairs etc. None of this is showing the slightest sign of having been impacted by humidity.

If you don't know what you're talking about, it is a better idea to be quiet and let people think that you are an idiot than to open your mouth and prove the point.

/ Priceless

There are lots of Christmas like "Scrooges" expats in Thailand seeming bitter, resentful, highly opinionated, sometimes ignorant but its OK cause there's no lack of female companionship that complies with the "up to you" mentality. As beauty and IQ are often subjective I will leave it "up to you"

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never been in an Ikea store and in fact only saw my first store three weeks ago when I cycled down Bang Na Trad road. How does the quality and pricing compare to other major furniture suppliers such as SB and Index? Is the fuss about this new place really warranted. From the website it looks expensive. Please note that I have never knowingly seen any furniture from Ikea either so have no idea about the quality of the products.

Of course they want to open on time. There is going to be a lot of people looking to buy new furniture in a couple of weeks.

Most of the people who can buy Ikea furniture have been spared the flooding!

Only poor people have been flooded?

I'm guessing that Index Living Mall will be on its arse in the near future. They seemed to be copying Ikea's style but with far higher prices for significantly lower quality.

Oh BTW, I dunno about you lot but my memories of the Ikea store on the North Circular near Neasden are peppered with occasions where I was dragged around by nest-building birds looking for items that even the staff said were sold out. Among the most harrowing times of my life . . . and I've been shot at :lol:

My advice, go alone.

And they are great with solutions for storage!!!and all the little things you can find there usefull for your home:) can you tell im a huge fan?:)

whats not to like, good prices for good enough quality furniture for the home. The only problem I saw last Saturday was the queuing at the tills, still the same as back in the UK :whistling:

but overall the shopping experience was good , no assisstant's following you around and help given when asked.

Did not know about the free bus from Udom-Suk.

Yeah read about it on their homepage:) not that I need it cos I live on same side as ikea so I take a taxi or moped taxi:) and just 1 km away I can see it from my balcony:)

Greedy swedish farang. Still want to make money when million of thai people are in a crisis.

IKEA was planned for years and has nothing to do with the floods. Get your facts straight.

They even have donated a large sum of money even before they are doing business here.

IKEA comes in handy now.

The quality and design is high standard compared to the uniformed products you buy here that break down within weeks and months.

The prices are very reasonable.

Greedy swedish farang. Still want to make money when million of thai people are in a crisis.

You are either trying to be funny (well...try harder!) or you are completely delusional.

I will not even start to argue with you about the jobs, this company brings to your country or the kind of social care, that their workers get.

I guess, one or two of your poor will be working there, Robin Hood!

So either admit you are trolling or get a grip!

I disagree on this they are giving work for hundreds if Thai people, I know there's a cris but the wheels must go on and people need work to get back to normal and start again. And ikea have been donation for flood relief.

sparebox2:

For goodness sake get a grip on yourself and as a reasonably new poster, don't fall into the trap of firing up your PC on this forum and plucking something out of the air to have a go at!

Your post is total rubbish and not needed here.

I have never been in an Ikea store and in fact only saw my first store three weeks ago when I cycled down Bang Na Trad road. How does the quality and pricing compare to other major furniture suppliers such as SB and Index? Is the fuss about this new place really warranted. From the website it looks expensive. Please note that I have never knowingly seen any furniture from Ikea either so have no idea about the quality of the products.

If you ever have been to an Index outlet, then you may have some idea about the products that Ikea sells.

Over the last 3 years Index Livingmall changed from a medium-range furniture store to a small Ikea with not only furniture, but all kinds of interior-items and ideas.

IKEA however, is a day out. Strolling around the usually huge showrooms, browsing through the basement with all the useful or useless household items, being amazed about the typical Swedish design.

I hope that IKEA Thailand does have the money-back guarantee..........for sure I'll buy some smaller interior things, assemble them and bring them back..........just missed the regular Mecano-feeling.

And what would you have them do? Stay closed until the floods have receded? What purpose would that serve? So what about SB and Index who both have outlets open on Bang Na Trad Road? Are they greedy too? If not, why not? They are serving the same customer base.

Methinks someone is stressed out by the floods, possibly wet and wanting to share his/her misery. If you are suffering, you have my sympathy, but don't blame those who have nothing to do with the current situation for your problems. Attack those who deserve it.

If you ever have been to an Index outlet, then you may have some idea about the products that Ikea sells.

Over the last 3 years Index Livingmall changed from a medium-range furniture store to a small Ikea with not only furniture, but all kinds of interior-items and ideas.

IKEA however, is a day out. Strolling around the usually huge showrooms, browsing through the basement with all the useful or useless household items, being amazed about the typical Swedish design.

I hope that IKEA Thailand does have the money-back guarantee..........for sure I'll buy some smaller interior things, assemble them and bring them back..........just missed the regular Mecano-feeling.

Thanks. I shall cycle out there on Saturday to familiarize myself with the "Ikea experience". My new house will be ready for furnishing in the next month or so and as it is only a town house, I need some space saving storage ideas (wardrobes, chest of drawers, etc. I understand from another poster that Ikea is probably my best bet for such items.

Also, assembling my own furniture is something I would enjoy.

Edited by GarryP

Official launch of IKEA tomorrow. Free shuttle bus from BTS Udomsuk. First 20 million baht donated to flood victims/via@Richardbarrow

That's what I like about Swedes. When they act they do it boldly and not talking only.

They have already donated a large sum of money, plus the prospect of useful commodities.

Official launch of IKEA tomorrow. Free shuttle bus from BTS Udomsuk. First 20 million baht donated to flood victims/via@Richardbarrow

That's what I like about Swedes. When they act they do it boldly and not talking only.

They have already donated a large sum of money, plus the prospect of useful commodities.

clap2.gif

Does anyone out there know how to go to IKEA by using the Sky Train from Asok?

Take BTS to udom suk there's a free sheduel bus to ikea every 15 min:)

Can you please confirm this ? Which exit at Udomsok ?

Does anyone out there know how to go to IKEA by using the Sky Train from Asok?

Take BTS to udom suk there's a free sheduel bus to ikea every 15 min:)

Sorry cant tell you which exit just read it on ikea bang na website, but surely they will put signs up at the udom suk bts station:) just said that they run every 15 min and I assume they start tomorrow cos the ikea opens tomorrow:)

Can you please confirm this ? Which exit at Udomsok ?

OK Google is your friend .

Udomsok BTS , walk to Exit 5 , down the stairs , every 15 minutes , here they are waiting for you :)

The buses are great, when I lived in Stockholm I didn't have a car.

The buses for free are very smart.