Honda 125Cc Dream Versus Wave

vagabond48

I have been living in Chiang Mai for 5 years and because I only used my bicycle to get around, I have never owed a motorcycle. I am now married and I want to purchase a popular brand motorcycle.

I did search for information on the web but did not find any.

Can someone tell the differences between the Honda 125CC Dream and Wave. Does getting one with fuel injection have a greater advantage over one with a corroborator?

My wife and I will be riding together using it not only to get around CM but also doing trips around Northern Thailand.

Someone mentioned that one of the models, I don't remember which is more of a workhorse and is a bit more powerful so it can handle a bit more weight especially up mountains. Together, we weight about 130KG.

Thanks

A brand new fuel-injected Dream is probably cheaper than a brand new fuel injected Wave. I was at one of the Honda Dealers in Chiang Mai when they launched the FI version of the Dream a few months back and the place was crowded with buyers (I think they had a promotional discount or something).

The new FI wave looks "sharper" compared to the Dream.:)

This might be a bit of help:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/249520-honda-dream-or-honda-wave/

The Dream is the "workhorse" as you mentioned.

If you are going to be on the highways a lot, I would take the Wave.

If most of your driving will be in town, then you can take the Dream.

I have two slightly modified Waves and could not ask more of them.

And, I used to own Dreams, and they would take a beating and keep on going for years and years.

Have fun.

Identical engine, Dream doesn't have disk brake on the front. Is going to sell on the reputation of the old Dream alone.

Get the Wave. 2 up and touring, definitely a 125cc as you have said.

Alternative non-Honda bike:

Yamaha Spark - 135cc, with fuel injection, same set up as the Wave. I'd say the best bike less than 150cc, but it needs a Honda badge on it for many people to agree.

Thanks for the helpful information!!!

Is there a strong advantage to get a FI rather than carburetor? I know it will cost a bit more. Is it easier to maintain or repair?

Both bikes you mentioned come with FI. The Dream is only 110 cc, but there is a nice optional rear rack that might come in handy for transporting things. You can mount a basket on the front of both bikes. Best of luck.

Brian

You can't kick start a fuel injected bike with a flat battery.

One good reason not to buy one.

Somchai in the local garage can't fix fuel injection problems.

Another reason not to buy one.

You can kick start a fuel injected bike with a flat battery.

I was under the impression that the fuel pump was electrically powered, I was also under the impression that they had started manufacturing fuel injected m/cs without kick starters. Which would make them very hard to kick start. I may be wrong.

My understanding is that the Honda PGM Fi small motorcycle ECU (which is integral with the throttle body and most sensors) is specifically programmed so that the bike will start with a flat battery.

Kicking, or I assume, bumping it provides a bare minimum of power and that is used by the ECU to power up only those things essential for the bike to fire. I doubt the electrical fuel pump is amongst those as there is probably enough retained fuel pressure downstream of the pump for the initial firing.

I have chapter and verse on this somewhere in a technical article dating from when the system was first introduced.

I very much doubt the same is true of the PGM Fi system used on larger Honda bikes.

I can certainly endorse the Dream as a sound purchase. I have owned a lot of bikes over the last thirty five years and the Dream has undoubtedly been the best value and the most reliable. The one we have gets ridden by everybody. In ten years and 153,000 km the engine has never been opened up, it has never broken down and it has cost peanuts to run. The only significant weakness is the drum brakes.

• 8 months later...

The Dream is much nicer looking (as in retro or traditional), and there is a much higher resale value - there is a huge market for second hand Dreams at shocking prices on the Burmese and Cambodian border. This also means, however, that the bike is a lot more likely to get stolen.

Dream.

Bought a Wave 125i 7 or 8 years back (it was the first model with FI) - can't fault it, never missed a beat, but the Dream has a nicer seat, it's the family sedan of scooters, and I think it probably has better plastics. The only issue with my Wave is that the plastics rattle - I think the rattling started year 2 of owning it.

Apart from oil changes and the odd puncture, the only thing I ever did on my Honda Wave was replace the chain. For a whopping BHT 400! The reliability of this bike is pretty astounding. FI never had an issue. Battery was never replaced and somehow still going just fine 8 years on... grandma is now using this bike every day. A legend.

Edited by nikster

Got my wave 125 in December. IIt now has done 13,000 km in 7 months

I average 68 kpl Best tank 78 and worst just over 40

top speed I ever went was 130 down a big hill 2 up but easily does 100+ all day

The Mrs and I do many a trips all over on ours as a tour bike

front basket and rear rack with over 200 Kilos total on it and it never misses a beat

The new waves have a big under seat storage And a 5.5 Lt tank. Love the range with that

Do get the electric start. I got the kick, which is fine, but some times I get lazy and wish I had . . .

A few more thoughts . . .

Riding this morning all the dreams I could see had drum front brakes. I would not have a bike with a drum front brake, for hte simple reason it takes longer to stop. Maybe if there was a disk brake model . . .

You say you haven;t had a bike. Where Wave's and Dreams are easy to drive, you still have to shift.. Why not a Spacy I (low 40's) Click (Upper 40's) or PCX (upper 70's) Where there is no shifting at all. I have taken all of these bikes on the road from CM to Pattaya and they did fine. Slightly less KPL but really not a huge factor.

I would just like to point out that in such a small bike there really is not going to be much stopping difference between a disc and a drum setup...assuming they're both adjusted properly. And that is where the Wave's disc will win as it will 'auto-adjust' rather than on the Dream where the owner will be taking up the tension regularly.

• Like 1

True. I`ve had bikes in the past in which I`ve eliminated the battery completely by utilising a large capacitor in the circuit.